Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mass Effect Will Continue, But Shepard Won't

firefly2003firefly2003 Member UncommonPosts: 2,527

BioWare has always been forthcoming about the Mass Effect trilogy telling Commander Shepard's tale. But does the character have a future beyond Mass Effect 3? Short answer: Nope.

"We have ambitious plans to continue this franchise going forward," BioWare CEO Ray Muzyka told PC Gamer at Gamescom. "Mass Effect 3 is simultaneously a couple of different things; a thrilling and epic conclusion to the trilogy as we promised our fans we’d provide for Commander Shepard, but it’s also a brand new beginning – it’s an entry point for new fans and it’s also a brand new beginning.”

When PC Gamer asked if Shepard would definitely not appear in future games in the Mass Effect universe, producer Michael Gamble replied: "Correct."

With everything BioWare has invested building the Mass Effect mythology this generation, it only makes sense that the company would want to keep the franchise going. Will you still be interested when Shepard isn't in the spotlight anymore?

[Source: PC Gamer]

Comments

• GlacianNexGlacianNex Member UncommonPosts: 652

Like all good stories one has to finish before another one can start. If they will keep Shepard around he will be fighting some other threat next and then some other and then some other. Nah hero needs a heros death, so we can see a new hero rise.

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

Sounds good to me, I love the series, universe and most of the other races, and it'd be nice to see things from another perspective eventually.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Shepard was always just a name, not a character (you RPed the character you wanted I think by the look you created and the choices you made), so I never felt any emotional attachment to the tag at all.

I personally don't care if they use that tag or not tbh.

• whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472

I'm with the first responding poster, the longer you keep the hero trying to save the world over and over again, the more water down it becomes until it becomes oh the hero has another problem to solve. It stops becoming an epic adventure and instead turns into a series of tasks he has to do. In tales you need to set a clear staring point (the problem) and a clear stopping point. If you keep extending it further and further out you keep spreading it thinner and thinner until it just doesn't matter anymore.

So if Bioware makes another game...excuse me if Bioware makes another mass effect game, sure, Ironically (am i using that term correctly?) it was never commander shepard that got me into the game, it was the RPG mixed with shooter that got me into it. with the choice system (i love that choice system) that got me into Mass effect.

So yes, if bioware makes another mass effect game then sure. Heck it even be cool if while you are on a different character you hear stories about commander shepard (ones that were choices you made in previous save games), would certainly make you feel like what you did in the previous games had more of an impact as your hearing about it from a different characters perspective.

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

• ZierrityZierrity Member UncommonPosts: 242

Even though I will miss playing as one of the biggest gaming heroes in this century (IMO)

I, too, think it's the right way to go :)

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679
    *tin foil hat on*

mass effect mmo to replace our need for pre nge swg is the future!!!

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

• raistlinmraistlinm Member Posts: 673

Originally posted by vesavius

Shepard was always just a name, not a character (you RPed the character you wanted I think by the look you created and the choices you made), so I never felt any emotional attachment to the tag at all.

This I think makes it pretty easy for them to move on from Shepard it's not like some other rpg's where the character is even more intertwined in what's going on in the universe.  It also helps that the Mass Effect Universe on it's own is so interesting I surely could see myself enjoying the series further without the use of commander shepard.

• XexvXexv Member Posts: 308

As above, in my brain I was playing myself and just happened to be named Shephard. So long as I can customise the new bloke like I could Shephard, no harm done.

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533

With the character customization the name wasnt really that important to me anyways.  More Mass Effect is always a good thing.  Im glad to hear they may continue the games after this first trilogy. 

Im not really overly concerned what my name is.  I kind of hope they might open up the option for us to play different alien races though.  That would be pretty nifty. 

• Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440

Shepard is a bad ass, I hope they give him a nice conclusion and will miss him. 

• LisXiaLisXia Member Posts: 390

Shephard is just the fixed last name of the guy I am roleplaying.  He dies, no problem, so long as I got another guy to play with.  He is just like the version X of a certain gun in Mass Effect 1.  It vanished in ME2, but I got a new gun.

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

I would have to agree with this. "Shepard" was just a name, the character was always mine. This won't change. It doesn't matter what name or back story they choose as the character itself will be made from my choices.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

As long as they don't kill him/her off or anything stupid like that, I'm fine with it.

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

A pipe dream but... ME:O

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

Originally posted by Castillle

*tin foil hat on*

mass effect mmo to replace our need for pre nge swg is the future!!!

I approve this message!