Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Some positive feedback from "The Escapist" at PAX

keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191

From PAX:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/112654-PAX-2011-Sleep-Your-Way-Out-Of-Trouble-In-The-Old-Republic

"The interface is incredibly easy to get ahold of...The graphics look amazing, and the voice acting (which was recorded with several hundred voice actors) is excellent. However, what really left me stunned was how the story unfolds and just what kind of choices I can make along the way."

There Is Always Hope!

Comments

• GMan3GMan3 Member CommonPosts: 2,127

A good read.  I wish he could have played longer so we would have gotten a better impression of the game, but still a good read.  Hmmm, James Bond?  That could make for an interesting line of play.

"If half of what you tell me is a lie, how can I believe any of it?"

• shadow417shadow417 Member UncommonPosts: 170

Nice read. i can't wait to know all the stories without reading them but playing'em.

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191

Originally posted by shadow417

Nice read. i can't wait to know all the stories without reading them but playing'em.

Thats exactly why part of me is afraid to beta this game, because story is such a big focus...sigh! lol

There Is Always Hope!

• whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472

Throw them into the huge pile of positive reviews this game has gotten :)

Anyway glad to hear this person enjoyed themselves, even if it was for 20 mins. Me? i'm probably going to if i get into beta pick a character i'm totally not going to play, in a way i wouldn't normally play and go PvP all the way to avoid what i'd normally do.

Before you ask what i normally would do in game? well be in a group most of the time is one, getting social gear cause i'm nut about that and going exploring, might never even open the map, i love getting lost in games.

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

• bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044

Originally posted by keithian

Thats exactly why part of me is afraid to beta this game, because story is such a big focus...sigh! lol

Do what I'm (hopefully) going to do. Play characters that you won't play right at first. If you are like me you will have two or maybe three characters at launch. So Beta test with something other than those.

Of course, if the storylines are as good as advertised I might only play one class at a time.

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191

Originally posted by whilan

Anyway glad to hear this person enjoyed themselves, even if it was for 20 mins. Me? i'm probably going to if i get into beta pick a character i'm totally not going to play, in a way i wouldn't normally play and go PvP all the way to avoid what i'd normally do.

Before you ask what i normally would do in game? well be in a group most of the time is one, getting social gear cause i'm nut about that and going exploring, might never even open the map, i love getting lost in games.

I'm exactly the same way. Sometimes I wish they would do away with the map, but that might be a little extreme lol. Thats a good point though, playing something I wouldn't normally play, which for me would be a tank or stealth class on the evil side...well...on either side hehe. Something tells me though Im going to want to try all classes on both sides.

There Is Always Hope!

• fadisfadis Member Posts: 469

The guy played 20 minutes and describes one quest choice.... ooooooh. 

Go watch a gameplay vid or two and you can make a more informed evaluation yourself :D

• whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472

Originally posted by fadis

Go watch a gameplay vid or two and you can make a more informed evaluation yourself :D

I think most of us have already done so, on numerous occasions, at least i have. Know exactly what to expect. Still it's good to hear others liked what they got to play.

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

• LisXiaLisXia Member Posts: 390

and that is why there is little incentive to rush start and pay a hefty premium price for early entry to game.

After all, it is the story, taking slowly at my own pace.  Like I play Mass Effect or Dragon Age.  I won't rush even if I was playing, why do I need to rush start it?

ToR should be a game to play and enjoy slowly, like you take your wine zip by zip.

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

If you want the impressions from people who have played for 5-20+ hours, just say so, they're easily provided. Won't change a thing though, the majority was positive to enthusiastic. But hey, I can understand, if SWTOR isn't your kind of game because (maybe) you dislike themepark MMO gameplay, feel free to move on to an MMO that you actually like, I'm sure there will be those around for you too.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• MetentsoMetentso Member UncommonPosts: 1,437

Originally posted by whilan

I'm exactly the same way. Sometimes I wish they would do away with the map, but that might be a little extreme lol. Thats a good point though, playing something I wouldn't normally play, which for me would be a tank or stealth class on the evil side...well...on either side hehe. Something tells me though Im going to want to try all classes on both sides.

Wish they would have left a few planets without a GPS system. Why dont' they do that cool stuff? Ah well...

• GMan3GMan3 Member CommonPosts: 2,127

Originally posted by MMO.Maverick

If you want the impressions from people who have played for 5-20+ hours, just say so, they're easily provided. Won't change a thing though, the majority was positive to enthusiastic. But hey, I can understand, if SWTOR isn't your kind of game because (maybe) you dislike themepark MMO gameplay, feel free to move on to an MMO that you actually like, I'm sure there will be those around for you too.

I think you may have over-reacted with this guy a little bit MMO.Maverick.  I don't think he was actually trying to bash, just point out that the guy's experience is pretty small compared to the available info you can get just from watching the gameply vids we already have.  While I liked the write-up for the detail the writer gave us, I can also recognize the truth in what fadis is saying.

"If half of what you tell me is a lie, how can I believe any of it?"

• Moaky07Moaky07 Member Posts: 2,096

Originally posted by MMO.Maverick

This

Someone whizzed in Fadis' Cheerios, as this person was whining in another thread about TOR as well. Between GW2 bots, and "we didnt get the PRECioUs part 2", this forum has been filled with complaining for a few yrs now.

It is nice to see positive feedback ala the OP vs the constant "I didnt get my way" thread in this forum.

Asking Devs to make AAA sandbox titles is like trying to get fine dining on a McDonalds dollar menu budget.

• Xondar123Xondar123 Member CommonPosts: 2,543

"Machteld Kruijssen

The only reason ToR will succeed even the slightest is because of the millions of Star Wars-fanbois, seriously if it'd have any other universe/name it would drown and be doomed before it even launched. The graphics are a joke, the combat static and unrevolutionary and it's more of a single player-online than anything else. If you enjoy that, well, up to you, hf."

Reading some of the comments to that article makes me think the TOR0-haters/GW2-fanboys from here have infected the Escapist. I find it fascinating how bent on bashing and bad mouthing this game some people are. It hasn't even been released yet, so how can people even know what they're really talking about?

Not only that, but it must take a lot of passion to go out and constantly bash a game that hasn't even been released yet.

• TalthanysTalthanys Member Posts: 458

Originally posted by Xondar123

"Machteld Kruijssen

The only reason ToR will succeed even the slightest is because of the millions of Star Wars-fanbois, seriously if it'd have any other universe/name it would drown and be doomed before it even launched. The graphics are a joke, the combat static and unrevolutionary and it's more of a single player-online than anything else. If you enjoy that, well, up to you, hf."

Reading some of the comments to that article makes me think the TOR0-haters/GW2-fanboys from here have infected the Escapist. I find it fascinating how bent on bashing and bad mouthing this game some people are. It hasn't even been released yet, so how can people even know what they're really talking about?

Not only that, but it must take a lot of passion to go out and constantly bash a game that hasn't even been released yet.

So, to start with, I probably won't play ToR right away, but I do hope it succeeds. The things it does different just aren't in the vein I find interesting. Now you have perspective on where I stand on the game.

But this post more has to do with your conspiracy theory that somehow "GW2 fanboys" have infiltrated and/or skewed the perspective of the Escapist. Why? Because they have a different opinion than yours? And you completely insult the intelligence of  the columnist by implying they can't make up their own minds or, worse, can be persuaded by a terribly small niche of forum-dwellers.

Look, though I don't share the vehemence of the part of the column you posted, I agree with the core sentiment. If this wasn't Star Wars, it would be a blip on the radar. It is doing somethings that are different, I do agree, but not enough and not in the direction that personally interests me.

Jesus, the lengths you just went to in order to shore up your insecurities can only be found on the internet. You will, of course, realize that you deride people who criticize a game that isn't out yet, but completely defend the ToRbots that haven't played it either, right? Did you see that? That was irony that just flew over your head.

I hope ToR is a smashing success and very addictive and fun (because then I'd play it too). But to huddle here in your echo chamber trading whispered conspiracy theories contributes to the stupidity that is the GW2 vs. ToR 'debate'.

• SupersoupsSupersoups Member Posts: 1,004

Originally posted by Xondar123

"Machteld Kruijssen

But i am not even a SW fan and especially not my brother and yet we are going to stick with it long term. So sorry you are wrong in your generalisation.