Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Neverwinter also confirmed F2P

Grand_NagusGrand_Nagus Member UncommonPosts: 335

Since Neverwinter doesnt have its own board yet I am posting here. So, in the same conference call where it was announced STO is going F2P it was also announced that Neverwinter will use the F2P model as well.

Here is the weird part: there is actually a typo in the written transcript. It reads:

"So I want to emphasize is that NEVER WE'VE DONE a free-to-play model game, so we’re going to launch this game in US and also in China,"

You can use the "find" function in your internet explorer and search the word "emphasize" to find this specific quote.

Of course, the above words "never we've done" makes no sense because PW has done plenty of F2P games. 

What he actually said in the audio recording is that NEVERWINTER NIGHTS will be a F2P game. Hear it yourself at around 52 mins into the recording(or 111:30ish if you hear the music at the beginning):

Comments

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

Not surprising since anything Cryptic's done aside from CoH has barely been of F2P quality to begin with. I pretty much expect more of the same crap from Neverwinter. It's a shame people keep handing them great IP's to totally ruin.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

Originally posted by Grand_Nagus

Since Neverwinter doesnt have its own board yet I am posting here. So, in the same conference call where it was announced STO is going F2P it was also announced that Neverwinter will use the F2P model as well.

Here is the weird part: there is actually a typo in the written transcript. It reads:

"So I want to emphasize is that NEVER WE'VE DONE a free-to-play model game, so we’re going to launch this game in US and also in China,"

You can use the "find" function in your internet explorer and search the word "emphasize" to find this specific quote.

Of course, the above words "never we've done" makes no sense because PW has done plenty of F2P games. 

What he actually said in the audio recording is that NEVERWINTER NIGHTS will be a F2P game. Hear it yourself at around 52 mins into the recording(or 111:30ish if you hear the music at the beginning):

Perhaps the person who transcribed it wasn't an amazing english speaker? Reading the whole transcript that's what I got from it.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • raistlinmraistlinm Member Posts: 673

Hadn't they already announced this game wouldn't have a sub fee?

• AnthonyMSAnthonyMS Member Posts: 33

um...FYI There is a forum for Neverwinter at:

http://www.playneverwinter.com/

• raistlinmraistlinm Member Posts: 673

Originally posted by AnthonyMS

um...FYI There is a forum for Neverwinter at:

http://www.playneverwinter.com/

I think he means on mmorpg maybe?

• RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444

Originally posted by Brenelael

Not surprising since anything Cryptic's done aside from CoH has barely been of F2P quality to begin with. I pretty much expect more of the same crap from Neverwinter. It's a shame people keep handing them great IP's to totally ruin.

Bren

QFT. 

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

• CatchmeifuCatchmeifu Member Posts: 45

Bummer I hate free to play games :(

• OmaliOmali MMO Business CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,177

They already announced Neverwinter as a free to play game, this goes back to when Cryptic first gave details on the title.

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533

Originally posted by Omali

They already announced Neverwinter as a free to play game, this goes back to when Cryptic first gave details on the title.

Yea thats true.  Its been long announced. 

Doesnt hurt to get that info out there again though.  I was under the impression that Neverwinter wont really be a true mmorpg.  Im not sure if thats right or not.  Anyways Im looking forward to messing around with Star Trek Online some more when it goes F2P.  But Im very hesitant to play anything else by Cryptic.  Perhaps things will improve now that they are helmed by Perfect World but we'll see.

• Grand_NagusGrand_Nagus Member UncommonPosts: 335

Originally posted by Omali

I'm not sure if they ever actually said that...their FAQ still says undecided:

http://www.playneverwinter.com/faq#6

• Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440

Interesting, I never caught on to the game having been f2p. Kinda destroys my hopes for the game considering it's Cryptic and their p2p games are average f2p games. At the same time though, the devs were stating they realize there other games were sub-par and they do not intend to do that again. 

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203

I'm not surprised STO is going F2P because the game is so poor it was destined to be F2P from the day it was released.  My only surprise is that it's taken them this long to face up to the facts.

I'm looking forward to Neverwinter though, having played the original game many years ago.  I hope making it an MMO doesn't lower the standards.

• lectrocudalectrocuda Member Posts: 604

To the caterpillar it is the end of the world, to the master, it is a butterfly.

• SulaaSulaa Member UncommonPosts: 1,329

Don't care that much tbh.  Interesting IP for sure , but it's Cryptic so :/

Imho will just be another f2p medicore game instead of another p2p medicore game. Nothing to see here , move along.

• bdewbdew Member UncommonPosts: 192

I reaaaaaly hope those bunch of idiots don't mess up the Forgotten Realms setting to the point no one makes a game under it ever.

It's one of my favorite fantasy settings and it would be sad to see it die... and knowing Craptic that's a very possible outcome  :(

Edit: "CrAptic" is a honest typo, really... i'll leave it there because it feels so right :P

• Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244

Well, Cryptic DID get acquired by Perfect World which is pretty much a F2P giant in the industry so there's some hope at least. Extra points because they already delayed Neverwinter after apparently not being satisfied with what they saw upon acquisition.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
  • StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805

Bren

Cryptic has quickly become the Uwe Boll of the MMO industry

Originally posted by Methos12

Well, Cryptic DID get acquired by Perfect World which is pretty much a F2P giant in the industry so there's some hope at least. Extra points because they already delayed Neverwinter after apparently not being satisfied with what they saw upon acquisition.

That speaks volumes when your game doesn't live up to a company's expectations that only produces craptastic grindfests. I see Neverwinter as CO 3.0 at this point (STO was CO 2.0). Neverwinter will have to be something spectacular for me to even consider it. Knowing what Cryptic has produced in the past however I seriously doubt that's gonna happen.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

Originally posted by lectrocuda

http://www.playneverwinter.com/gallery

are these real?

Don't get too excited over these screenshots. Cryptic released some amazing looking screenshots for both CO and STO when they were in development as well and we all know how that turned out.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• BhazirBhazir Member Posts: 321

are these real?

Don't get too excited over these screenshots. Cryptic released some amazing looking screenshots for both CO and STO when they were in development as well and we all know how that turned out.

Bren

For you perhaps, but not for me, I like CO and STO is fun for a while. So because you don't like what they done and think they didn't live up to YOUR expectations it is crap in YOUR eyes.

However the acquiring of Cryptic by PWE is a bit of a downer for me. All the F2P games from PWE  I tried were P2W in the end. So in that aspect I hope Cryptic still has something to say about the items in the cash shop, but I doubt it.

"If all magic fails, rely on three feet of steel and a strong arm"

• ZefireZefire Member Posts: 676

Neverwinter 1 was awesome.

Neverwinter 2 was moderate.

Neverwinter 3 will be uber fail under cryptics hands.

I wish bioware had taken neverwinter online and give us back the old good times.

• David_LopanDavid_Lopan Member UncommonPosts: 813

Cryptic maybe able to pull it off as they have two games (one great, one good) to model neverwinter after.  The thing that kills it for me is the 4th edition ruleset, I know it's the new thing but it sux bad (how do you think Pathfinder got so big, good job WotWC).

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609

If the graphics are the emphasis rather than the gameplay, it will likely turn out badly.

On the other hand, I am glad to see that NWN will be made from the start as a f2p game.  Most of the f2p games on the market (including those from PW) started with a normal subscription model.  To my knowledge, this will be the most significant title to be designed as a f2p from the start, so it should show us exactly how well this model can work for the gamer.

And Bren, can you please append '&&(enchanter==dismounted)' to your signature?

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

Originally posted by Bhazir

are these real?

Bren

For you perhaps, but not for me, I like CO and STO is fun for a while. So because you don't like what they done and think they didn't live up to YOUR expectations it is crap in YOUR eyes.

However the acquiring of Cryptic by PWE is a bit of a downer for me. All the F2P games from PWE  I tried were P2W in the end. So in that aspect I hope Cryptic still has something to say about the items in the cash shop, but I doubt it.

For me and the vast majority of the MMO community. Their falling Sub numbers and need to go F2P on both games now to survive speaks volumes. Hey, but I'm glad you like them. I found CO to be fun for about a month, STO for about two weeks. That isn't enough however to keep a P2P game going though and Cryptic has realized this. Will that realization effect the development of Neverwinter? I doubt it.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081

Originally posted by Aquazen

Cryptic maybe able to pull it off as they have two games (one great, one good) to model neverwinter after.  The thing that kills it for me is the 4th edition ruleset, I know it's the new thing but it sux bad (how do you think Pathfinder got so big, good job WotWC).

What TWO games would those would? Champions Online was horrible, and City of Heroes was mediocre. Neither of those were anything NEAR good, nevertheless GREAT.

Seriously, learn the MMO genre m8. The population for BOTH of those games are even smaller than Anarchy Online from Funcom, and that's OLDER THAN CRAP.

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.