Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Combat changes..

darquenbladedarquenblade Member Posts: 1,015

Does anyone know the general time frame that the changes to combat that have been mentioned will be taking place? I'm going to be starting EQ2 up again, but I've been holding off until the changes go into effect, to hopefully cut down on any possible annoyances.

As a side note, does anyone know how extensive these changes will be?

Comments

• KaneKane Member Posts: 780

As far as I know, its not even on test yet. The main thing is class balance. Right now, Scouts are generally underpowered and Brawlers/Monks are overpowered. Also, I believe they are going to allow a respec of some kind once it goes live. Also, the combat abilities will no longer have a skill attached so that an Adept I will always be better than an Apprentice IV, no matter how much you use the ability. I dont think we'll see the change for several months, at least.

• DoomsayerDoomsayer Member Posts: 344

Ack! They are gonna nerf Monks?

Damn. I just came back, had no idea monks were overpowered. I chose mine because I had just finished Jade Empire and was all into the monk/martial arts thing. Jeez...and I thought I was just good.

Oh well, anyone know how this is going to effect them?

Everything born must die. All that is, will come to ruin. This is the essence of Doom. So sayeth the Doomsayer.

• ShadrakShadrak Member Posts: 375

Scout and Mage Classes will do more damage
    Fighter classes will tank better
    Healers will gain hate through ward/reactive/regen

• KaneKane Member Posts: 780

That about sums it up, yah. Monks/Brawlers will probably get a SLIGHT DPS nerf and a slight tank boost, but nothin too extreme since, yes they tank just about as good as any other tank and do DPS close to a Scout, so a bit of a shift and all is well. I wouldn't worry too much.

• JodokaiJodokai Member Posts: 1,621

Wow weird. I was playing with my Oger Brawler and was thinking how little damage he did compared to my Crusader Iksar, maybe I just suck ::::03::

• StarlingStarling Member Posts: 6

I hope they don't nerf the Monk too much, I mean, I wouldn't call them overpowered. Not by far.

But the change is very welcomed. I think it's weird that my brothers druid can take on two whites and one yellow at a time while my paladin have a difficult time taking on two blue. Do I suck?

• shaeshae Member Posts: 2,509

I don't know if this helps anyone but this was in Ask SOE #37 in regards to damage after the change, hurts me quite a bit considering that I love playing my warden for the fact that she can dish out some pain as well as outheal anyone out there.

"Sassee: Part of the changes coming to spells and combat arts is to adjust how much damage the various classes do in relation to each other. Can you tell us how the different subclasses will rank in relative damage potential?

Steve "Moorgard" Danuser: Without giving the precise DPS numbers we intend each class to have, I can list how the classes will relate to one another in damage output. There are basically five groupings that classes fall into, from highest amount of damage output to the lowest.

First group:
    Wizard/Warlock
    Assassin/Ranger

Second group:
    Conjurer/Necromancer (using damage pet)
    Brigand/Swashbuckler

Third group:
    Coercer/Illusionist, Conjurer/Necromancer (using tank pet)
    Troubador/Dirge
    Bruiser/Monk

Fourth group:
    Berserker/Shadowknight
    Paladin/Guardian

Fifth group:
    Fury/Warden
    Defiler/Mystic
    Inquisitor/Templar

Keep in mind that these aren't absolutes. A Guardian who concentrates on damage output and upgrades his or her offensive abilities could surpass a Berserker who focuses on defensive capabilities. These are simply the general guidelines we're following where, all things being equal, the classes will be organized.

The thing with class balance, though, is that all things are *never* equal. So much of the damage output of a class depends on how that class is played that it simply isn't possible for anyone to guarantee that a given class will always perform at a certain level under every circumstance. However, the above list should at least give players an idea of the direction our numbers will be taking. "

Just to add one more bit of info, I think this was posted in early June on the mainboards, it's not terribly insightful but perhaps it explains a bit of the process and what they are doings.

"Moorgard

The spell/arts changes will be going to Test in the near future. I know you want an exact date, but you'll just have to do without that for now. But I can say absolutely and without any ambiguity that these changes will be part of the live game, not anything you have to pay for. What's more, they will affect the game at all levels.

Again, this isn't a matter of changing a few spell effects or balancing a class or two. This is touching every spell in the game in one way or another and making big changes to the damage output of many classes--some significantly, some slightly. It's a big job, and we're taking our time to do it right.

When I first hinted that we were going to rebalance healers, we had a smaller scope of changes in mind. But changing the spell system is like cutting into an onion; you keep finding new layers. So after we did our initial balance pass at healing, it made us look into damage. When we looked into damage, we thought we'd best look into utility. This led us in further directions, and it became clear we would be better off addressing the whole system in one fell swoop.

As I've said before, these changes involve both data and code. Fixing wards, for instance, is not a matter of a tweak or two. Changing them to take armor mitigation into account required a code change. Making them assign aggro properly was another code change. Taking those factors into account and balancing them against the healing potential of other priest classes was a task for our mechanics department. It's a complex situation, much moreso than the simple data change it will take to fix the Inquisitor spells referred to elsewhere in this thread.

I realize a lot of classes are impatient and want their issues addressed. I'd like the spell changes to go to Test too, so that we can move past the "when will I be fixed?" phase into the "I can't believe you changed my favorite spell!" phase. But then, that will be coming soon enough."

It is just me or do they always seem to make it sound like they are annoyed by people that are passionate about their own game ?

• DoomsayerDoomsayer Member Posts: 344

Yeah, I noticed that as well. And they come off just a tad condescending. Don't get me wrong I am all for class balance. And often time utility abilites are drastically underappreciated in that process. And I look forward to a better balanced game, though I hate to get nerfed in any way, its for the better.

But, they don't have to be snippy about it. And thanks for all the great information folks.

Everything born must die. All that is, will come to ruin. This is the essence of Doom. So sayeth the Doomsayer.

Originally posted by Doomsayer

Yeah, I noticed that as well. And they come off just a tad condescending. Don't get me wrong I am all for class balance. And often time utility abilites are drastically underappreciated in that process. And I look forward to a better balanced game, though I hate to get nerfed in any way, its for the better.
    But, they don't have to be snippy about it. And thanks for all the great information folks.

Oh I completely agree, I mean the classes are crazy wacky in EQ2, I mean as a Healer (lvl 50 Warden) I'm pretty much in the top 3 for solo classes and easily one of the best healers in game, cept maybe templars but they have no where near the dps I hold. That really needs to change, as much as I hate it, I'm a healer and as a healer, lol I shouldn't be cleaning the floor with dps and fighting classes.

/Sigh

oh well, the good days of the Warden will be long gone soon enough.