Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Matchmaking rating in PvP?

papaz1papaz1 Member Posts: 27

As a new player to the whole franchise I found out about GW2 through the awesome PvP vids on youtube. Impressive to say the least about the PvP, hot joins and organized tournaments.

One thing I was wondering about:

In the different PvP modes (hot joins and tournaments) will players have matchmaking rating in order to get matched against equally skilled players?

Or is the matchmaking purely random, that is first X players/teams that enter a PvP game are just matched against each other.

Comments

• andre369andre369 Member UncommonPosts: 970

So far no, thats what they have said atleast.

But that is for the tournaments, i dont know if there will be a ELO system at all.

Anyone know?

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

The game does calculate ratings. As far as what the game will do with them, they aren't sure yet. They have discussed having CPVP servers that are only for players below a certain rating, but they aren't commiting to anything at this point.

They've also said that they imagine there will be CPVP servers for highly skilled players, but it wasn't clear if they would ever code for this, or if it would just be based on certain communities forming around particular servers based on reputation. (Same goes for World Server based or guild specific CPVP servers, it isn't clear if you will be able to set rules to limit who can play on a server based on such things, or if they will just rely on people chosing the appropriate server based on descriptions of what audience the server was set up to serve).

For me, match making would be preferable. I think it would also be worth while allowing people setting up custom CPVP servers to set a ranking range for people to access them.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated