Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Beta testing to decide release date???

Considering the massive hype of this game, is it a possible for swtor to wait until the beta test the servers to see if the servers can handle the strain?

Comments

• teknotazteknotaz Member UncommonPosts: 112

i think it was SDCC when they said if the beta weekend test works out good, they will give use a release date. but i think if it goes bad, they might tell use it will been 2012. have to wait and see.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Originally posted by teknotaz

i think it was SDCC when they said if the beta weekend test works out good, they will give use a release date. but i think if it goes bad, they might tell use it will been 2012. have to wait and see.

I have never seen them mention 2012 release date.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• shadow417shadow417 Member UncommonPosts: 170

The test invitations will be around 02/09/11 that is the rumor. they will invite you in advance so you can download the game in time for the weekend.

• Chile267Chile267 Member UncommonPosts: 141

Originally posted by shadow417

The test invitations will be around 02/09/11 that is the rumor. they will invite you in advance so you can download the game in time for the weekend.

+1

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

They have never given a 2012 estimate.

The last estimate, which was just given at PAX, was that they were still aiming for a release this year, more than likely around the holiday season. SWG shuts down during the holiday season, you do the math.

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

Sure hope they start sending them out soon, cause as of right now the SW:TOR client when fully updated is about 39.4gb.  I've got a fairly good connection, but that will still take me about 1-2 days...

And this was said at the end of July:

As for the release date that everyone seems to be waiting for, CEO John Riccitiello explained during the call that although they have set a wide margin for the release date, they are confident in the projected release of holiday 2011. It is not uncommon according to Riccitiello for an MMO to withhold an exact release date until four to six weeks prior to launch. That said, Gibeau did say, "In September, we will be in a position to call the ball and give you a hard ship date" following the major beta testing push.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

I might be slightly OT with this, but it relates to the beta.  Has Hero Engine ever been used on a project of this scale before?  I only know of Faxion that has used it.

Stressing the servers might have something to do with being quiet on release date.  I wouldn't consider Hero as unproven, but there might be concern about performance if this application of the engine is significantly larger than any others.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • MetentsoMetentso Member UncommonPosts: 1,437

Originally posted by Kost

They have never given a 2012 estimate.

The last estimate, which was just given at PAX, was that they were still aiming for a release this year, more than likely around the holiday season. SWG shuts down during the holiday season, you do the math.

Yes they have mentioned a "possibility of january 2012".

• MazinMazin Member Posts: 640

Originally posted by ActionMMORPG

I might be slightly OT with this, but it relates to the beta.  Has Hero Engine ever been used on a project of this scale before?  I only know of Faxion that has used it.

Stressing the servers might have something to do with being quiet on release date.  I wouldn't consider Hero as unproven, but there might be concern about performance if this application of the engine is significantly larger than any others.

While the skeletal framework of the engine is Hero, it has been heavily heavily modified to the point that its almost a Bioware engine.  So it would be hard to judge it upon other games that have used the Hero engine.

• KuaidamKuaidam Member Posts: 183

Originally posted by Khrymson

Sure hope they start sending them out soon, cause as of right now the SW:TOR client when fully updated is about 39.4gb.  I've got a fairly good connection, but that will still take me about 1-2 days...

I hope the invites como out later today or at most tomorrow, otherwise, if i get mine on thursday most likely i'll loose friday = S

• proponentproponent Member UncommonPosts: 92

Have they mentioned anything about pre orders getting any kinda special treatment on beta invites?

• oakthornnoakthornn Member UncommonPosts: 863

Originally posted by Khrymson

12 hours and that was with DSL

Rallithon Oakthornn
    (Retired Heirophant of the 60th season)

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

Originally posted by proponent

Have they mentioned anything about pre orders getting any kinda special treatment on beta invites?

Yes, and of course they don't

There was something about how sooner you enter the sooner you get acces to the early acces, and something about that there will be a limitation on how many people will be playing on launch. overall nothing to special.

so there was nothing about the beta, only that it would be in september and that everyone would be getting the chance to get invited.

• whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472

There was something about how sooner you enter the sooner you get acces to the early acces, and something about that there will be a limitation on how many people will be playing on launch. overall nothing to special.

so there was nothing about the beta, only that it would be in september and that everyone would be getting the chance to get invited.

To clarify so we don't get peoples hopes up too far and just get mad if they don't get invited.

The line was, they will try and get as many of the 1.5M people that signed up for beta in as possible.

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

• seitz55seitz55 Member Posts: 7

Got my invite last night, took about 4.5 hrs to patch, Can't wait till friday woo hoo!  I won't sleep this weekend at all-

Closed Beta tester for WAR.CO.FE.DCUO.SWTOR

• GMan3GMan3 Member CommonPosts: 2,127

Gratz seitz55.

"If half of what you tell me is a lie, how can I believe any of it?"

Originally posted by whilan

To clarify so we don't get peoples hopes up too far and just get mad if they don't get invited.
    The line was, they will try and get as many of the 1.5M people that signed up for beta in as possible.

yeah, thank you for clarifying. +1