Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TOR enhanced... a look into the future

DeeweDeewe Member UncommonPosts: 1,980

While there are quite a few important informations still unknow to us players, like the monthly fees (if ever), we can pretty much draw a clear picture of TOR game play.

So let's dive in and have a look at TOR future:

• Day/Night cycles: will probably be never implemented in game or maybe limited to new planets or specific instances.

• Swimming: would only be added in a dedicated Xpack with the related planets/zone, and new playable species. Would also be one of the last Xpacks to be added in game.

• Pazaak and likewise minigames: be certain they are very high on the nice to have list and they shall be added in a patch.

• Pod/Swoop racing: added in a X-pack

• Appearance tab: in a major patch after seeing the overwhelming requests from players finding the mods system too limited.

• Gear dyes: added in a patch, maybe along the appearance tab

• Humanoid species: in major patches. 

• Non humanoid species: maybe never or in Xpack due to all the gear to redo and all the quest lines to adapt... or with dedicated new classes. So very unlikely to be added soon.

• New classes: Xpack only, but not before 2-3+ years when all the easy stuff have been done.

• Multiplayer Space sim: most difficult to answer. If you ask the players it would be the first Xpack. If you ask the devs the last one as it endangers the core design of the already existing tunnel shooter.

• Ships furnishing: Xpack especially if you can do like in EQ-SWG: move your furnitures around and dye them.

• Planetary housing: maybe Xpack but certainly after ships furnishing. And it will be instanced interiors in NPC buildings.

• More easier AC respeccing: will be in less than 6 months after launch to answer the more casual players complaints.

• Dual (or more) speccing: in a patch not long after launch, will be required for players especially for PvE and PvP specs.

• Skippable cutscenes/dialogs option: will be requested a lot by players in the long term. Might be added if the devs throws the towel.

• Companionless solo play mode: in a patch adding a mechanisim not to oblige players to have a pet out to be fully efficient in solo mode.

So how do you think the game will evolve?

How about the above and PvP, RAIDS, Guilds, achievements....?

Comments

• whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472

Originally posted by Deewe

While there are quite a few important informations still unknow to us players, like the monthly fees (if ever), we can pretty much draw a clear picture of TOR game play.

• Day/Night cycles: will probably be never implemented in game or maybe limited to new planets or specific instances.

• Swimming: would only be added in a dedicated Xpack with the related planets/zone, and new playable species. Would also be one of the last Xpacks to be added in game.

• Pazaak and likewise minigames: be certain they are very high on the nice to have list and they shall be added in a patch.

• Pod/Swoop racing: added in a X-pack

• Appearance tab: in a major patch after seeing the overwhelming requests from players finding the mods system too limited.

• Gear dyes: added in a patch, maybe along the appearance tab

• Humanoid species: in major patches. 

• Non humanoid species: maybe never or in Xpack due to all the gear to redo and all the quest lines to adapt... or with dedicated new classes. So very unlikely to be added soon.

• New classes: Xpack only, but not before 2-3+ years when all the easy stuff have been done.

• Multiplayer Space sim: most difficult to answer. If you ask the players it would be the first Xpack. If you ask the devs the last one as it endangers the core design of the already existing tunnel shooter.

• Ships furnishing: Xpack especially if you can do like in EQ-SWG: move your furnitures around and dye them.

• Planetary housing: maybe Xpack but certainly after ships furnishing. And it will be instanced interiors in NPC buildings.

• More easier AC respeccing: will be in less than 6 months after launch to answer the more casual players complaints.

• Dual (or more) speccing: in a patch not long after launch, will be required for players especially for PvE and PvP specs.

• Skippable cutscenes/dialogs option: will be requested a lot by players in the long term. Might be added if the devs throws the towel.

• Companionless solo play mode: in a patch adding a mechanisim not to oblige players to have a pet out to be fully efficient in solo mode.

how about the above and PvP, RAIDS, Guilds, achievements....?

Only part i'm confused on.

As far as i know from an appearance tab is that you have one gear that gives you stats, and in your appearance tab you have the gear you'd like to show off.

With the current system you could just take the stats (mods) from the gear you don't like and put those mods in the gear you like thereby bypassing the need for two sets of gear and more so the need for an appearance slot. They even stated that cosmetic gear could be modded in such a way that you can raid with it.

The only way i see this being a problem is if someone can't find a piece of gear they like with the right amount of slots, thats about it.  Will depend mostly on how often that really happens. I'd be hesistant on the overwhelming response for an appearnce slot unless the above comes in spades, if Bioware is smart that won't happen.

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

• azmundaiazmundai Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

Day/Night cycles: will probably be never implemented in game or maybe limited to new planets or specific instances. Swimming: would only be added in a dedicated Xpack with the related planets/zone, and new playable species. Would also be one of the last Xpacks to be added in game. Pazaak and likewise minigames: be certain they are very high on the nice to have list and they shall be added in a patch. Pod/Swoop racing: added in a X-pack Appearance tab: in a major patch after seeing the overwhelming requests from players finding the mods system too limited. Gear dyes: added in a patch, maybe along the appearance tab Humanoid species: in major patches.  Non humanoid species: maybe never or in Xpack due to all the gear to redo and all the quest lines to adapt... or with dedicated new classes. So very unlikely to be added soon. New classes: Xpack only, but not before 2-3+ years when all the easy stuff have been done. Multiplayer Space sim: most difficult to answer. If you ask the players it would be the first Xpack. If you ask the devs the last one as it endangers the core design of the already existing tunnel shooter. Ships furnishing: Xpack especially if you can do like in EQ-SWG: move your furnitures around and dye them. Planetary housing: maybe Xpack but certainly after ships furnishing. And it will be instanced interiors in NPC buildings. More easier AC respeccing: will be in less than 6 months after launch to answer the more casual players complaints. Dual (or more) speccing: in a patch not long after launch, will be required for players especially for PvE and PvP specs. Skippable cutscenes/dialogs option: will be requested a lot by players in the long term. Might be added if the devs throws the towel. Companionless solo play mode: in a patch adding a mechanisim not to oblige players to have a pet out to be fully efficient in solo mode.   So how do you think the game will evolve?   How about the above and PvP, RAIDS, Guilds, achievements....?

im sorry are these A: your predictions or B: is this info you have gleaned from .. wherever?

if A: Yeah, m-maybe... by leaving her predictions vague and generalized, there's less of a chance of someone findin' out she's a phoney.

if B: sources?

LFD tools are great for cramming people into content, but quality > quantity.
    I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)

• artemisentr4artemisentr4 Member UncommonPosts: 1,431

We can't really draw a clear picture because things have changed a lot just this year. And with testing in Sep, things could still change even more.

Day/Night are not needed IMO. Only game I even noticed a day/night cycle was LOTRO. Most of the time players just turn up the gamma and can't tell the difference. We will have many different types of day/night based on our stories in game and weather based on what the devs have said on every planet.

Swimming is ok for just cutting corners and being able to use all the game world. But if there is no content for it, I won't miss it. It would be nice to see a Xpack with a water based story. But when it would be added is not known.

• Pazaak and likewise minigames: be certain they are very high on the nice to have list and they shall be added in a patch.   agreed

• Pod/Swoop racing: added in a X-pack  agreed

It is possible, but having the mod system take a level 10 item and make it a level 50 equivelent. Along with the massive amount of gear that will be in the game. I don't think appearance will be a big issue.

• Gear dyes: added in a patch, maybe along the appearance tab Same as above.

• Humanoid species: in major patches.   Possible

• Non humanoid species: maybe never or in Xpack due to all the gear to redo and all the quest lines to adapt... or with dedicated new classes. So very unlikely to be added soon. agreed

Could add new starter planets and leveling planets just for a new storyline and new classes. These new planets would be just as viable for current players as far as open world questing and group planet quests, just not the class story.

They could both exist together if it is just an open PvP zone or group space combat zone. Then you would just use your navigation system on your ship to head for the zone you want to enter. Wouldn't be that difficult. Just depends on the devs wanting more free flight or not.

I think customization as far as color, rewards and such will be in. We know that you can earn new gear for your ship at launch. But we don't know it this will make your ship look different anywhere other than the space combat area.

Could go the way of EQ2 with appartment style housing on some planets, but no clue with this. I never see them having open world housing like SWG.

It seems to be fairly easy now with the cheap cost for a AC change at level 10, then increasing as you level. Could go the way of pay to change?

We still don't know if this will even be needed in TOR. Will have to play with the trees and see how things work out. I don't think it will be as big of a deal, but we shall see.

They have this now, you can skip the cutscenes, then just quickly make a choice of dialogue, then skip again. They will never throw in the towel for a core feature. The feature that defines BW.

I don't see this happening either. Companions are also a calling card for BW games. It is a part of the BW story experience. I guess they could go with an item slot to replace the CC, but I don't see it.

The class stories will continue to expand with future expansions. Along with new world group stories, flashpints and operations. Bringing in multiple new planets with Xpacks over the year. PvP conflict will be exanded into space combat zones. New planets to PvP over for objectives and new PvE solo planets for future stories.

Could expand into a new third faction with a future expansion with new starter planets, leveling planets and PvE/PvP planets based on 3 faction control. Guild vs Guild conflict over planets for material with an expansion of the crafting. Will have to see if they stick with the Themepark only or adapt to a more of a hybrid down the years. I wouldn't hold my breath for a big change though.

Speculation is fun. image

“How many people long for that "past, simpler, and better world," I wonder, without ever recognizing the truth that perhaps it was they who were simpler and better, and not the world about them?”
    R.A.Salvatore

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

What I'd like to see is space stations and gigantic ships.  I like space sci-fi more than terrestrial.

I know they say that SW isn't about space, but to me that's the best part.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • DeeweDeewe Member UncommonPosts: 1,980

Originally posted by artemisentr4

We can't really draw a clear picture because things have changed a lot just this year. And with testing in Sep, things could still change even more.

Let's just say we have a clear picture of what we don't know yet then :p

Day/Night are not needed IMO. Only game I even noticed a day/night cycle was LOTRO. Most of the time players just turn up the gamma and can't tell the difference. We will have many different types of day/night based on our stories in game and weather based on what the devs have said on every planet.

I do notice them a lot on RIFT but needed not sure. Nice to have, certainly.

Swimming is ok for just cutting corners and being able to use all the game world. But if there is no content for it, I won't miss it. It would be nice to see a Xpack with a water based story. But when it would be added is not known.

• Pazaak and likewise minigames: be certain they are very high on the nice to have list and they shall be added in a patch.   agreed

• Pod/Swoop racing: added in a X-pack  agreed

It is possible, but having the mod system take a level 10 item and make it a level 50 equivelent. Along with the massive amount of gear that will be in the game. I don't think appearance will be a big issue.

I tend to think it will be when people realize the actual system is linmited as you are "limited" to rare/epic gear as the number of slots in your gear depends on its rarity

• Gear dyes: added in a patch, maybe along the appearance tab Same as above.

• Humanoid species: in major patches.   Possible

• Non humanoid species: maybe never or in Xpack due to all the gear to redo and all the quest lines to adapt... or with dedicated new classes. So very unlikely to be added soon. agreed

Could add new starter planets and leveling planets just for a new storyline and new classes. These new planets would be just as viable for current players as far as open world questing and group planet quests, just not the class story.

Seems too much trouble to mix them with the higher content level stuff for not that much bonus to the game.

They could both exist together if it is just an open PvP zone or group space combat zone. Then you would just use your navigation system on your ship to head for the zone you want to enter. Wouldn't be that difficult. Just depends on the devs wanting more free flight or not.

I think customization as far as color, rewards and such will be in. We know that you can earn new gear for your ship at launch. But we don't know it this will make your ship look different anywhere other than the space combat area.

They already said that the actual ship gear is only tied to stats and doesn't change the ship's lool

Could go the way of EQ2 with appartment style housing on some planets, but no clue with this. I never see them having open world housing like SWG.

It seems to be fairly easy now with the cheap cost for a AC change at level 10, then increasing as you level. Could go the way of pay to change?

We still don't know if this will even be needed in TOR. Will have to play with the trees and see how things work out. I don't think it will be as big of a deal, but we shall see.

They have this now, you can skip the cutscenes, then just quickly make a choice of dialogue, then skip again. They will never throw in the towel for a core feature. The feature that defines BW.

I don't see this happening either. Companions are also a calling card for BW games. It is a part of the BW story experience. I guess they could go with an item slot to replace the CC, but I don't see it.

My guessing is they'll fight teeth and nails not to do it but they might be obliged to add it at a point later on.

The class stories will continue to expand with future expansions. Along with new world group stories, flashpints and operations. Bringing in multiple new planets with Xpacks over the year. PvP conflict will be exanded into space combat zones. New planets to PvP over for objectives and new PvE solo planets for future stories.

Most likely and I expect some of the content will be strangely (or not) related to paying downloadable content you already have on BioWare Xbox games.

Could expand into a new third faction with a future expansion with new starter planets, leveling planets and PvE/PvP planets based on 3 faction control. Guild vs Guild conflict over planets for material with an expansion of the crafting. Will have to see if they stick with the Themepark only or adapt to a more of a hybrid down the years. I wouldn't hold my breath for a big change though.

I would love to see a 3rd faction landing in but then it would be a nightmare for the writers as none of the game, especially the scripting has been written around that.

Speculation is fun. image

See above and nice post!