Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TERA: Server vs. Server PVP Announced

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

At a meeting with En Masse during PAX, our own Bill Murphy and Carolyn Koh were told that TERA's endgame PVP will include a to-be revealed Server vs. Server element. 

The only details we have so far are that an opposing server will be able to invade the world of another server for riches and glory, but the defenders will be able to drive them back and then chase them into their own server if they're capable. 

En Masse wouldn't comment further, but they promised that more details will come around the time of the closed beta. 

Stay tuned for our PAX 2011 write-up on all things TERA later this week.  In the meantime, head over to our Game List page to read up on the game and its announcements.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• wootwinkedwootwinked Member UncommonPosts: 11

This World vs World thing seems to be the new best thing in MMO land, wont take long till every standard MMO has it imo..

Hopefully they can give people a reason to participate, not just for glory^^

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

Who cares anyway? The time the game gets released it'll be meaningless already, except for a diehard few fans.

Those asian companies should learn that if they wanna sell their product to the western folks, "westernisation" shouldn't take forever and longer.

• RazephonRazephon Member UncommonPosts: 628

This game has been out in Korea for over half a year and by the time it comes out here it will probably be 1.5 years.

Sadly if it came out now it wouldn't stand a chance against games like SWTOR and GW2. So its best to release when people start to get bored of those 2 games....aka Spring 2012...their estimated release date.

Fingers crossed, by the time it releases Korea should have the 60 update out soon. So by the time we get close to max level maybe we get the level 60 content as well.

Currently waiting for the MMO industry to put out something good.
  • KatrisaKatrisa Member UncommonPosts: 116

I used to be so excited for Tera but it like so many have said already... It probably wont stand a chance with all the AAA MMOs coming out. It feels like tera missed their window :(

How many MONTHS have we seen teaser screenies that no one even bothers to look at now. Something I think game companys should not talk about their games untill its a few months from release....imo

/meow

• mCalvertmCalvert Member CommonPosts: 1,283

Im not sure how paralell worlds will invade each other, but anything that results in more action is ok by me.

• azmundaiazmundai Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

i hope this server vs server thing works out. i have always thought it would be a good option, anything you can do to band people on the same server together instead of lumping them in with 4 to 24 complete  strangers from other servers has to be better than what we have now in most mmos.

still have my doubts as to whether this game is actually ever going to mean anything on this side of the pond. seems unlikely, but hopefully if nothing else this idea will get noticed.

LFD tools are great for cramming people into content, but quality > quantity.
    I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Props to GW2 for giving the right example, to be honest. I don't like the fact that WvWvW takes place in a world separate from the main game world (in which there won't be ANY pvp) in GW2, and lorewise they need some serious contortions to make it fit, but the concept is great and it already seems other devs are taking notice.

Good for Tera. Was losing interest as well but it might still become a great game. It looks like they released a bit prematurely in Korea with big additions like this popping up.

• Dionysus187Dionysus187 Member Posts: 302

How about they just get rid of worlds/shards/servers? Or at the very least make it almost effortless to switch between them. Guess they want to keep economies and communities seperate? meh.

• KumaponKumapon Member EpicPosts: 1,563

I'm currious if they will have the lvl 60 content in or will they just have the lvl 58 content, with the server/server patch. 

• RoyalPhunkRoyalPhunk Member UncommonPosts: 174

This game is going to completely miss the Window. Really good looking vaporware, its a shame.

• bygeorgebygeorge Member UncommonPosts: 104

Originally posted by Kumapon

I'm currious if they will have the lvl 60 content in or will they just have the lvl 58 content, with the server/server patch. 

The server vs. server content is supposed to be released with/after the lvl 60 update.

• boredsillyboredsilly Member Posts: 3

Word is it's all but dead in korea allready. They arent even going to bother releasing it in china, it's a dog im afraid.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Originally posted by boredsilly

Word is it's all but dead in korea allready. They arent even going to bother releasing it in china, it's a dog im afraid.

Thats what i hear too...

An MMO is much more then a nice combat system with shiny graphics.... just look at spellborn, it was released in the same state as TERA was in Korea.  MMO players are like spoiled kittens and they want only the best.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• OtakunOtakun Member UncommonPosts: 874

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Thats what i hear too...

An MMO is much more then a nice combat system with shiny graphics.... just look at spellborn, it was released in the same state as TERA was in Korea.  MMO players are like spoiled kittens and they want only the best.

While I agree about the spoiled kittens comment, that's what you get when you have a saturated market of games that all think they are equally the same in value when they aren't. If any new game comes in with a newer business model everyone jumps on it to at least try it, like GW and GW2 for example.

• FearGXFearGX Member Posts: 317

I really liked this game when they kept showing more and more of it. But now with the pushed back release to 2012, people are losing interest in TERA and fast. The TERA foroums are usually dead.

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

Originally posted by Fearlessbro

I really liked this game when they kept showing more and more of it. But now with the pushed back release to 2012, people are losing interest in TERA and fast. The TERA foroums are usually dead.

Forums here are usally dead because no one like to get trolled every time they post something.   Peoples interest is a fickle thing, they drift off then come running back when things heat up.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

Originally posted by stayontarget

Forums here are usally dead because no one like to get trolled every time they post something.   Peoples interest is a fickle thing, they drift off then come running back when things heat up.

Honestly, I want to see this game crash and burn. EME is a horrible publisher that treats fans of TERA like idiots. I could go into more details but it's only going to fall on deaf ears.

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

Originally posted by Otakun

Honestly, I want to see this game crash and burn. EME is a horrible publisher that treats fans of TERA like idiots. I could go into more details but it's only going to fall on deaf ears.

Forums are for noobs---> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXnoVWY6-i8&feature=player_embedded  G/L TOR & GW2  lol

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

Originally posted by Otakun

Forums are for noobs---> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXnoVWY6-i8&feature=player_embedded  G/L TOR & GW2  lol

No different then any other mass player video ever shown from any game. People did  it for WAR and Aion saying how good it looked and look how far they went. So yeah TERA is the one that needs G/L. People are even more interested in TSW then TERA which are confirmed to be coming out around the same time unless pushed back. So yeah, G/L indeed.

• arctarusarctarus Member UncommonPosts: 2,581
    Instead of waiting for lvl 60 contents to be ready, if I interpret it correctly for the delay, Thursday shld just release this game now with the lvl 58 contents, and release the rest later.

Im also kinda bored waiting for it ...

RIP Orc Choppa

Originally posted by arctarus

Instead of waiting for lvl 60 contents to be ready, if I interpret it correctly for the delay, Thursday shld just release this game now with the lvl 58 contents, and release the rest later.

Im also kinda bored waiting for it ...

Cause they believe that the week at most worth of content that will come with the lvl 60 content will save this game. Despite the fact that its quick leveling, boring quest grind, repetitive quickly boring combat, boring classes, easy dungeons and lack of anything other then a non targetting system that makes it different from any other MMO. Nope those 2 lvls will save the game.

Oh, I forgot to add them stealing an idea from EVE online to get people to play without paying a monthly fee cause they know that not many people would continuously pay 15 a month for a game that will be outdated and outplayed in half a year to a year and use this backhanded way to get people to play as a guise to stop gold farmers that has a high failer chance.

Let's support this company that has unneedingly withheld info from the playerbase and that has outright lied to us now and in the past. Welcome to Aion 2.0, have a nice day. 

• Scripture1Scripture1 Member UncommonPosts: 421

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Thats what i hear too...

Such a shame... I remember when I first heard about this game, along with the other game I was eagerly anticipating; Blade and soul. 

I have almost completely stopped watching both of them and since I quit WoW and Aion a while back I have only been watching GW2. So sad we get these game well after they release in JP, I doubt it will pick up enough steam to do much of anything once GW2 hits the road. Plenty of games seems to be leaning towards this feature so I'm not the least bit intrigued by the news. This may be one of those games where I only play because it came out before the game I'm really waiting on.

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919

I agree they waited too long to bring it to the West and it may well have done better had they been more prompt.

• neosurfeurneosurfeur Member UncommonPosts: 193

Originally posted by Katrisa
    I used to be so excited for Tera but it like so many have said already... It probably wont stand a chance with all the AAA MMOs coming out. It feels like tera missed their window :( How many MONTHS have we seen teaser screenies that no one even bothers to look at now. Something I think game companys should not talk about their games untill its a few months from release....imo /meow
    Seriously most people will think and say that you are true ... Because i feel the same, but the game getting more awesome option and deepness young communoty want a quick release wich is fun, but i do prefer to way 1 year and jump in the game and Say OMFG my life is over .....

Temporal Scroll to fight gold farming like hte plex, server vs server, diplomatic aspect .... and its under unreal engine 3 ( wich mean graphically it will appear even in 1 year or 2 or 3 ) I mean this game is still under developpement wich is good for other country .... And Microsoft is a proff that Asian market isnt something really important to get succes with game/console.

Chrono Scrool info :
    http://www.tera-online.com/node/880

• RazephonRazephon Member UncommonPosts: 628

Wow this thread is seriously negative lol. It will be interesting to see how people's perspectives change once they realise that these next 'big MMOs' will only end up keeping them entertained for a few months on end.

Seriously, its simple if you think about speculative release dates:

SWTOR (Nov 2011?) - This game will be fun initially and I will buy and play it for the first month or two to complete the levelling content and attempt end game. By then hopefully the first content patch will be on the way if not on the horizon. Here I will determine whether to stick around for a 'WoW-esque' MMO...since frankly the game will stop being unique at max level. Raiding seems unimpressive, PvP even more so. At most people will play this until GW2 comes out then subs will decline.

GW2 (March 2012?) - Well I dont think I need to say anything, but I will definitely play this one. I see nothing wrong with it and feel it could last me for some time. My main concern is the rate at which they will churn out new content.

TSW (April 2012) - This I want to play, but it depends on my interest in GW2 at the time. Given Funcom's history though well....you know! I have my doubts still. I think GW2 will still have a better endgame, so I may just play this game for the story.

TERA (Likely to come at the end of Spring 2012, aka late May/June 2012) - By this point everyone will have had sufficient experience of the 'BIG MMOs'.

So you see, Tera's chances really aren't that bad. If the games coming out don't offer significant longevity for a large majority of players, then Tera doesn't have anything to worry about.

Currently waiting for the MMO industry to put out something good.