Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

War of the Worlds

I saw it.  I loved it.  Rating 9.5 outta 10.  It woulda gotten a 10 but the girl Dakota Fanning is so stupid thru the movie.  She barely says anything and if she does its either "Daddy", "I want mom" or shes just plain screaming her head off in pure terror.  But other than that girl its a very very good movie.  A must see.

Comments

• OmegaLetOmegaLet Member Posts: 588

I'm going to see it in a few hours actually!! ... from what i've heard it does seem really good!

• FilipinoFuryFilipinoFury Member Posts: 1,056

The movie didnt AMAZING reviews but it still did pretty good. I probly wont see it due to it only got 75% and I ussually only go see movies that are 80% or higher. O course the site could always add more reviews.

"Its exploitation of tragic iconography -- just to amp up the screams, tug some tears and sell a few more million movie tickets -- should be deplored."

When i was going through some of the review's I saw this and wondered what the word meant. Wasnt in my dictionary but of course I couldnt find my dictionary. And my vocabulary makes Hank Hill's urethra look like splash moutain.

ICONOGRAPHY ??

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/war_of_the_worlds/

On Time? On Target? Never Quit?

• OrccOrcc Member Posts: 3,043

Originally posted by bulldogg
    The movie didnt AMAZING reviews but it still did pretty good. I probly wont see it due to it only got 75% and I ussually only go see movies that are 80% or higher. O course the site could always add more reviews."Its exploitation of tragic iconography -- just to amp up the screams, tug some tears and sell a few more million movie tickets -- should be deplored."When i was going through some of the review's I saw this and wondered what the word meant. Wasnt in my dictionary but of course I couldnt find my dictionary. And my vocabulary makes Hank Hill's urethra look like splash moutain. ICONOGRAPHY ??http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/war_of_the_worlds/

*points to www.dictionary.com*

Iconography:

1. Pictorial illustration of a subject.
    2. The collected representations illustrating a subject.
    2. A set of specified or traditional symbolic forms associated with the subject or theme of a stylized work of art.
    3. A treatise or book dealing with iconography.

n : the images and symbolic representations that are traditionally associated with a person or a subject; "religious iconography"; "the propagandistic iconography of a despot"

• KiamdeKiamde Member CommonPosts: 5,820

The movie was just too real. There were times when I forgot it was a movie. What an epic. The blood weed ridden New York farmland...eerie...the people jumping the van and shooting the man...just too real. The ending was awesome. I just thought "Holy sh*t! Its Half Life II!" I am still just amazed. Simply the greatest special effects ever put into a movie....the people cages...man...I still have to absorb this epic.

"Whoever controls the media controls the mind..-'Jim Morrison"

"When decorum is repression, the only dignity free men have is to speak out." ~Abbie Hoffman

• mrwigglz07mrwigglz07 Member Posts: 283

It ended to abruptly for me.  They could have added 20 minutes there for a little extra story line.  Without saying anything to give away the movie, what was up with that ending.  I dont know if I could completely comprehend it. 

It was the BORE OF THE WORLDS!image

[img]http://www.bowlingfortruth.com/images/banner.gif[img]

If you wait to do something until the last minute, your more efficient since it will only take 1 minute.

Originally posted by mrwigglz07
    It ended to abruptly for me. They could have added 20 minutes there for a little extra story line. Without saying anything to give away the movie, what was up with that ending. I dont know if I could completely comprehend it.
    It was the BORE OF THE WORLDS!image

The ending was sudden and all.

Spoilers: If you read below, it is your own damn fault.

I Can't believe the son survived. It was a damn inferno. How could he have survived that?

"When decorum is repression, the only dignity free men have is to speak out." ~Abbie Hoffman

• ReveilleReveille Member Posts: 42
    Yea the "tripod things" reminded me alot of the striders from Half Life 2 also forgot to mention that.

Originally posted by Reveille
    Yea the "tripod things" reminded me alot of the striders from Half Life 2 also forgot to mention that.

The part where the marines were firing the recoiless rockets at the tripods was as if it was taken right out of HLII when the freedom fighters were attempting to take down the striders with the rockets. I found this somewhat interesting.

• mrwigglz07mrwigglz07 Member Posts: 283

Anyways, what the hell was up with the ending guys?

I still am confused?

WHY DID THE ALIENS DIE?!

[img]http://www.bowlingfortruth.com/images/banner.gif[img]

If you wait to do something until the last minute, your more efficient since it will only take 1 minute.

• OmegaLetOmegaLet Member Posts: 588

Just got back from the movie, very good I must say.

• ChickenTalonChickenTalon Member Posts: 163

Ok i'll tell you why the aliens died:

For those who don't wanna know the ending, skip this post!!!

Morgan Freeman(who is narrating) says that we as humans have developed immunities to all the bacteria and crap that inhabits our world.  But the aliens were new to it all, and so forth, their doom had started as soon as they had touched down on our planet.  i.e. they had all gotten sick and infected from all the micro-organisms that we've grown immune to.

www.knightsunited.com
    The first and best dedicated fansite for KO

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

I still am confused?
    WHY DID THE ALIENS DIE?!

Nobody liked 'em. Bad karma got 'em.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • h8t2luvuh8t2luvu Member Posts: 3

Awesome! I don't get to see it until this weekend. I was debating on not going, but now I have to. Thanks for the review! :D

• LastSpartanLastSpartan Member Posts: 87

Movie was great but  a few things bothered me maybe I thinking too much.

1.How did the son survive?

2.Why did the alien's shields go down? I mean can bacteria do that?

3.The aliens were naked wtf? Even we knew not to go to the moon without a damn suit. For an advanced race they are pretty dumb.

4.There was a scene that they were listening to the radio and the emergency broadcast system came on. It was a test..... What the hell has to happen for it to be the real deal?

5.Who thinks Tom's lullaby scene was awkward?

Originally posted by ChickenTalon

Morgan Freeman(who is narrating) says that we as humans have developed immunities to all the bacteria and crap that inhabits our world. But the aliens were new to it all, and so forth, their doom had started as soon as they had touched down on our planet. i.e. they had all gotten sick and infected from all the micro-organisms that we've grown immune to.

No crap. Don't tell me you think some people have not read the book!

• ScarisScaris Member UncommonPosts: 5,332

I still am confused?
    WHY DID THE ALIENS DIE?!

I would strongly suggest you check out the original version of this movie or the original radio show if you are completely unfamiliar with War of the Worlds. It was originally broadcast in 1939 just before WWII started for us. Or read the book that started it all by Orson Wells.

- Scaris

"What happened to you, Star Wars Galaxies? You used to look like Leia. Not quite gold bikini Leia (more like bad-British-accent-and-cinnamon-bun-hair Leia), but still Leia nonetheless. Now you look like Chewbacca." - Computer Gaming World

• SerienSerien Member CommonPosts: 8,460

Originally posted by Fadeus

I still am confused?
    WHY DID THE ALIENS DIE?!

I would strongly suggest you check out the original version of this movie or the original radio show if you are completely unfamiliar with War of the Worlds. It was originally broadcast in 1939 just before WWII started for us. Or read the book that started it all by Orson Wells.

could've sworn the book was by HG Wells, and Orson Wells did the radio broadcast

maybe I'm wrong..but it was a great book, I need another paycheck before I go out for the movie though :(

• ScarisScaris Member UncommonPosts: 5,332

Originally posted by Serien
    Originally posted by Fadeus Originally posted by mrwigglz07Anyways, what the hell was up with the ending guys?I still am confused?WHY DID THE ALIENS DIE?!I would strongly suggest you check out the original version of this movie or the original radio show if you are completely unfamiliar with War of the Worlds. It was originally broadcast in 1939 just before WWII started for us. Or read the book that started it all by Orson Wells.
    could've sworn the book was by HG Wells, and Orson Wells did the radio broadcast
    maybe I'm wrong..but it was a great book, I need another paycheck before I go out for the movie though :(

Your right, typo on my part. Er mental slip.

- Scaris

"What happened to you, Star Wars Galaxies? You used to look like Leia. Not quite gold bikini Leia (more like bad-British-accent-and-cinnamon-bun-hair Leia), but still Leia nonetheless. Now you look like Chewbacca." - Computer Gaming World

• dsorrentdsorrent Member CommonPosts: 1,627

Looks like I need to find a babysitter for the kid so my wife and I can go check this out... Sounds like one of those movies you have to see on the big screen to get the whole experience.. I was going to wait and just rent it... we'll see...

• WillJones420WillJones420 Member Posts: 263
    It's good to know they're sticking to the original story in some measure.  I'm looking forward to seeing probably this Friday.

Originally posted by WillJones420
    It's good to know they're sticking to the original story in some measure. I'm looking forward to seeing probably this Friday.

Actually, the story is completely different. The general "The world is their feeding tank" idea is still there, but the movie is shot in the first person. The original story was a narrative.

• metalfoxusmetalfoxus Member Posts: 805
    I feel that it was the same story as the original movie, just experienced by a different person. In the original it was a scientist, in this it was a normal guy. Still was awesome, though they could have given an extra 10mins to the ending so the dumbasses could figure it out.
  • PBskaterPBskater Member Posts: 228

Originally posted by ChickenTalon

Morgan Freeman(who is narrating) says that we as humans have developed immunities to all the bacteria and crap that inhabits our world.  But the aliens were new to it all, and so forth, their doom had started as soon as they had touched down on our planet.  i.e. they had all gotten sick and infected from all the micro-organisms that we've grown immune to.

Yup it's still the same way as in the first movie. (could have know that was goin to happen)
  • NihilanthNihilanth Member Posts: 1,357

The book was one of my all time favorites so I'm really hoping they didn't vear too far from it. I'm mostly going to go see it tonight.

Schutzbar - Human Warrior - Windrunner Alliance - World of Warcraft
    Nihilanth - Kerra Paladin - Blackburrow - EverQuest II
    XBL Gamertag - Eagle15GT

• arvainisarvainis Member Posts: 548

Loved the book.

Loved the original movie.

TV Series was ok.

Going to see the remake this weekend w/the wife.  Sure I'll love the movie!

"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves." ~ Ronald Reagan