Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMORPG.COM News: Warhammer Online Official Site

DanaDana Member Posts: 2,415

The official website for Warhammer Online has been relaunched by Mythic Entertainment. Although very little is available, there is a short FAQ, info on hiring and a chance to sign up for the newsletter.

Perhaps the most noteworthy aspect of the update is the inclusion of a giant piece of concept art on the front page, which may hint at the tone of the upcoming MMORPG.

You can check it all out at WarhammerOnline.com.

Dana Massey
Formerly of MMORPG.com
Currently Lead Designer for Bit Trap Studios

Comments

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297

If Mythic can get this even half right - with all the dark undertones of the Warhammer Universe - I am game !  :-) 

** where is my hammer, by Sigmar ! **

Have fun

Erillion

• HunnenkoenigHunnenkoenig Member Posts: 53
    The concept art is a bit overloaded, isn't it? I could barely see, what that should be image
  • humm!! does the man in the pic!! from the chaos space marines(Tzeentch)?????
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

I really really think this game is going to flop.  It just doesnt have the right kind of backstory to make a descent mmo.  It is much better suited to Turn Based Strategy and Mass Campaigns were the user takes command as a Commander.  I think the game is going to face fierce competition of games done in a similiar style, and all those upcoming mmo's in 2007 and 2008 based on an existing title are trying to play the name too much and the fact you can "Live in thier Universe".  It really all looks the same to me with alot of expected committed time by the player; and the question really becomes about if the player is willing to commit time to names that could be overplayed and dead by the time the title is released.

Realistically there isnt this huge market for Warhammer, and the people who would play it fall into the same category as people who would play practically every other United States mmo made. 

Not the right kind of backstory ? Huh ?

50+ novels for the Warhammer Fantasy part alone.

2 computer games

Countless short stories (Inferno magazine).

Countless comics.

A pen-and-paper roleplaying game with at least two dozen supplements and adventures, with the legendary "Death on the Reik" campaign.

Trading Card game.

and THEN we START to talk about at least 3 versions of racial army books for the miniature game, all full with fluff text stories beside the hard data you need for the game.

Not to forget old classic general supplements like "The Lost and the Damned" or the newer Chaos power and Ratmen books.

Did I mention that there is MORE for Warhammer 40k ?

And quite a bit from the other GW games like Mordheim, Blood Bowl etc. that can be used too.

If they implement even a third of that, we have enough to do in Warhammer Online for the next 2 years.

Have fun

Erillion

I think Warhammer is different from the other games like Middleearth or Conan etc.

Its dark. Its sinister. Its deadly. Corruption and Chaos are only a step away. Players are NOT nice guys and neither are the NPCs.

Its not High Fantasy (like Middleearth). Its not sword and sorcery (like Conan).

Have fun

Erillion

• darquenbladedarquenblade Member Posts: 1,015

Originally posted by Cleffy

I really really think this game is going to flop.  It just doesnt have the right kind of backstory to make a descent mmo.  It is much better suited to Turn Based Strategy and Mass Campaigns were the user takes command as a Commander.  I think the game is going to face fierce competition of games done in a similiar style, and all those upcoming mmo's in 2007 and 2008 based on an existing title are trying to play the name too much and the fact you can "Live in thier Universe".  It really all looks the same to me with alot of expected committed time by the player; and the question really becomes about if the player is willing to commit time to names that could be overplayed and dead by the time the title is released.
    Realistically there isnt this huge market for Warhammer, and the people who would play it fall into the same category as people who would play practically every other United States mmo made. 

It really looks all the same to you, eh? Aren't you the same person who was praising Korean MMO developers in the SUN news thread? Pray tell, inform me how those games aren't just all the same.
  • AnofalyeAnofalye Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,433

Blood for the Blood God!

I somehow doubt I would be able to play a follower of Khorne in any RPG setting, but will definitely be looking forward them(as in fighting them if you cant join them)!

My second choice will off course be a gothic wood elf!  Let's the dance start!  image

PS: Hehe, I may still be playing DDo, CoV, TR or Imperator when this game is released, they have a rought agenda...but yes, I would try it, PvP or PvE or whatever, Warhammer have always been around PvP except for the RPG(a minority in their world IMO).

- "If I understand you well, you are telling me until next time. " - Ren

• angus858angus858 Member UncommonPosts: 381

My guess is that Mythic will bend this game strongly toward a focus on PvP combat.  That would compliment Imperator which is almost entirely PvE.  Taken together these games could then capture the current DAoC playerbase and keep them in the Mythic fold.

If I'm right and Warhammer is predominantly a PvP game then art styles and background story wont be critical for the game's success.  Most hard core PvP'ers just want great gameplay.  Mythic has an established track record for great PvP gameplay so I think their chances for success are very good.