Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PC Gamer gives a thumbs down to the CU

MSCavMSCav Member UncommonPosts: 141

Great news for us who were upset, great news for those still experiencing problems in the game. If anything this might get SOE off their butts and work on the game more than they say.

PC Gamer hit the nail on the head.

Cav, Senior Commander Midnight Squadron.  midnightsquadron.com

Comments

• IcoGamesIcoGames Member Posts: 2,360

If you're referring to this month's review of ROTW, I'd say 68% isn't all that bad. That rating still gets an 'Above Average' score.

Although I don't agree with all that the CU did, it was still mostly needed combat-wise. Having 90%+ armor and buffs that could turn you into a one man extinction event wasn't exactly a good system.

Ico
    Oh, cruel fate, to be thusly boned. Ask not for whom the bone bones. It bones for thee.

• KaneKane Member Posts: 780

Not to mention I SERIOUSLY doubt that a magazine review is going to make anyone change their game.

• keltic1701keltic1701 Member Posts: 1,162

Originally posted by Kane

Not to mention I SERIOUSLY doubt that a magazine review is going to make anyone change their game.

I don't think so either. You either love or hate the CU. Some think it's the best thing to happen to SWG while others think it will kill or already has killed it. Then there are the rather curious type that don't like it but are willing to tolerate it simply because it's Star Wars. I have to say I'm one of the haters. As much as I love Star Wars, I don't love it enought to play a Everquest-ish clone game based on it.
  • MSCavMSCav Member UncommonPosts: 141

It still comes down to the game being fixed, not overhauled. And if you read the small box in the bottom about the CU (not ROTW) you would see what I was talking about. They even called the game everquest in Space at the end of the review for ROTW.

I sitll stand by the fact that the game needed to be fixed and I go along with what they said. This game is now a generic game and lost its uniqueness.

I also stand by what the force.net said about the CU as well: "SOE knocked down the whole house when all they had to do was fix the kitchen sink."

A 68% is an average score, but I speak only about the CU and there is hope that this could make SOE pay more attention to the game and accelerate fixing bugs that have exsisted from day 1 and the new ones that the Expansion brought along.

Cav, Senior Commander Midnight Squadron.  midnightsquadron.com
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,295

Here is an overview of reviews from several different resources

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/pc/starwarsgalaxiesepisode3rageofthewookies

Overall (averaging) the game has been rated in the high seventies, which is typical for an expansion to an online game in my experience. The PC Gamer review is below average, but you find anything from 41 (clearly too low) to 85 ( a bit hyped).

Have fun

Erillion

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924

Well i dunno if pc gamer is same edition as the uk  pc gamer(probably not).

Anyhow uk pc gamer i stoped buying in jan or so 2005 after it became evident they actually were unproffesional as the be "SoE haters".

I have over the years notice any SoE product be it EQ1,SWG,PS,EQ2 they gave it a bad review.

Last was EQ2 which they gave a low rating and a bad review.Some dude took it up in their forums and pointed out obvious "mistakes"(probably lies) in the review and the reviewer decided to respond and then let it slip that he actually only played EQ2 for 1 day and relied on a "friend" EQ2 experience in betaimage who did not even get the retail version and went to play another mmorpg that came out nearly same time as EQ2.

Did not end there.After a few hours and some responses ,he noticed he should not have done this and editted his post and deleted about 3 responses quoting him.

Totally unprofessional and made me realise that if you buy a gamer magazine it is for the pretty pictures,jokes and competitions but certainly do not buy them for the reviews.

• ElnatorElnator Member Posts: 6,077

Originally posted by hercules
    Well i dunno if pc gamer is same edition as the uk pc gamer(probably not).
    Anyhow uk pc gamer i stoped buying in jan or so 2005 after it became evident they actually were unproffesional as the be "SoE haters".
    I have over the years notice any SoE product be it EQ1,SWG,PS,EQ2 they gave it a bad review.
    Last was EQ2 which they gave a low rating and a bad review.Some dude took it up in their forums and pointed out obvious "mistakes"(probably lies) in the review and the reviewer decided to respond and then let it slip that he actually only played EQ2 for 1 day and relied on a "friend" EQ2 experience in betaimage who did not even get the retail version and went to play another mmorpg that came out nearly same time as EQ2.
    Did not end there.After a few hours and some responses ,he noticed he should not have done this and editted his post and deleted about 3 responses quoting him.
    Totally unprofessional and made me realise that if you buy a gamer magazine it is for the pretty pictures,jokes and competitions but certainly do not buy them for the reviews.

Gamer mags are the worst place to go for a review of any game. And, you are 100% correct. I saw that thread on the site as well... funny stuff. A friend had posted a link to it.

Currently Playing: Dungeons and Dragons Online.
    Sig image Pending
    Still in: A couple Betas

• WheezalWheezal Member UncommonPosts: 249

i traditionally agree with pc gamer reviews, but i have noticed that they are usually pretty harsh on SOE games.  the only good review i ever saw them give an EQ expansion was one that Curt Schilling wrote for them.  naturally, being a huge EQ fan, he was a tad biased :)

they didnt give the original EQ the best review either, but 6 years later the game is still banking at over 400,000 subscribers, so....they can't hit every nail on the head.

MMO Name: InVictus Kell
    Currently Playing:
    EVE Online