Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

We have a lot of games similar to WoW! People say Developers are trying to Copy WoW to bring in simi

MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

I been think about this whole WoW Clone theory. If these Developers really want to pull in WoW's playerbase, than where are they getting WoW Player's feedback from?

Are they using WoW's forum?

Are they using ingame WoW chat?

Are they private messaging WoW players?

Are they even getting feedback from WoW players at all?

I see a lot of ranting against MMOs similar to WoW. Many people call them failures, but wouldnt these games be a bit more successful if they were to listen to WoW players, and not just the players that hate WoW?

to me it seem kind of silly to "Make a game similar to WoW, only to attract players that Hate WoW".

During Warhammer's major hype movement, I remember Mythic and its fanbase community, would create this major image of a "Anti-WoW", yet the game is similar to WoW is it not?

Anet on the other hand, seems very "Anti-WoW" like. You can even see this from their members that left to form Undeadlabs.

But Anet with its "Anti-WoW" mindset, has always made their games to be different from Blizzard.

But maybe that wasnt always for the best. Being Different for the sake of being different, just usually doesnt work out well.

This is why I am looking forward to a game with WoW like features, but made for people that dont hate WoW so much, just tired of WoW.

I am curious for where these kind of developers are getting their feedback and suggestions from out of the WoW community.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Comments

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

Wearing the tinfoil hat again?

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

Any developer that is worth their salt is going to look at other games in the market and try to promote their thing.

A popular game however will be the 'template' for a lot of different games. But just because you are making a 'template' doesn't mean you'll never surpass the original in terms of success.

It happens all the time in all industries.

Was Ipod the first MP3 player? 

Was Iphone the first mobile phone?

Was Windows the first Operating System?

Was Microsoft Office the first productivity suite?

Was Doom the first FPS?

etc etc.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001

The WOW clone theory is not a theory, it refers to games that have copied some or many of the game mechanics from WOW, thats it, no secret hidden agenda, it happens for all types of games.

To me it seem kind of silly to "Make a game similar to WoW, only to attract players that Hate WoW".

Yup it is a silly idea, in fact this statement makes no sense.

But Anet with its "Anti-WoW" mindset, has always made their games to be different from Blizzard.

But maybe that wasnt always for the best. Being Different for the sake of being different, just usually doesnt work out well.

You are referring to 1 game,  Guild Wars 1 and it did make sense as the game worked. Anet did not have an 'ANTI-WOW' mindset, some developers disagreed with the direction Wow was heading so left to do their own thing.  It is your comments that are referring to this ficticious 'anti-wow'  Labelling people who dislike a game is devisive on the part of the author who uses these terms.

What was the point again, or another pointless post?

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• BarelyEinsteinBarelyEinstein Member UncommonPosts: 247

You forget that people are morons, they see an attack button and think its a wow clone, or they see a moderately successful launch and think its the end of wow. These people deal in absolutes, I don't know why, but I wouldn't put much stock in what they say.

• jarbyjarby Member Posts: 77

Originally posted by Bladestrom

The WOW clone theory is not a theory

sure it is not a theory, just look at rift )

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

why was this moved to WoW forum?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001

You used the word WOW 17 times in a single post, im guessing this has something to do with it :P

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D