Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Finally Swtor will take down world of warcraft.

Comments

• XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180

What kind of stupid troll ressurected that piece of s**t thread .. -.-

• SatariousSatarious Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

Originally posted by Wiezard

Originally posted by Satarious

I think the combination of SWTOR and Guild Wars 2 will take down WoW.  As much as past games have failed to even make a dent in WoW, this time it's different for the combined reasons of WoW aging and SWTOR & Guid Wars 2 being quality MMOs built by top-notch companies.  Quality is what will eventually bring down WoW from its high perch.  Nobody thought anybody would touch the invincible Everquest before WoW came along, after all.

To take down WOW, GW2 and SWTOR should be able to get atleast 10 million players or it won't be considered taking down in any terms. Moreover, comparing B2P game like GW2 to WOW is unfair considering one counts the number of players with active sub and other counts number of boxes sold.

How about make it simple:  Count the number of people PLAYING.  Whether customers are paying a subscription matters only to the companies raking in the dollars.  The amount of people playing on a consistent basis directly influences how many boxes are sold (and how many future expansion boxes are sold).

• WiezardWiezard Member Posts: 158

I think the combination of SWTOR and Guild Wars 2 will take down WoW.  As much as past games have failed to even make a dent in WoW, this time it's different for the combined reasons of WoW aging and SWTOR & Guid Wars 2 being quality MMOs built by top-notch companies.  Quality is what will eventually bring down WoW from its high perch.  Nobody thought anybody would touch the invincible Everquest before WoW came along, after all.

To take down WOW, GW2 and SWTOR should be able to get atleast 10 million players or it won't be considered taking down in any terms. Moreover, comparing B2P game like GW2 to WOW is unfair considering one counts the number of players with active sub and other counts number of boxes sold.

How about make it simple:  Count the number of people PLAYING.  Whether customers are paying a subscription matters only to the companies raking in the dollars.  The amount of people playing on a consistent basis directly influences how many boxes are sold (and how many future expansion boxes are sold).

Yeah because that makes a fair comparison right? how about Runescape then? or i can name many other F2P titles which have millions of active players a lot more than WOW's numbers in west. We are taking about P2P games here not F2P or B2P. 

Yeah because that makes a fair comparison right? how about Runescape then? or i can name many other F2P titles which have millions of active players a lot more than WOW's numbers in west. We are taking about P2P games here not F2P or B2P. 

Whether it's F2P, B2P, or P2P, I think it's safe to say that Blizzard has proven that people are willing to pay for quality and the "easy to play, hard to master" principle that they have used.  Despite all the free competition, WoW has still far outdistanced its competitors in subscriber count.  It doesn't matter whether it's F2P, B2P, or P2P.  What really matters in the end is high quality and appealing to a wide range of tastes.

Whether it's F2P, B2P, or P2P, I think it's safe to say that Blizzard has proven that people are willing to pay for quality and the "easy to play, hard to master" principle that they have used.  Despite all the free competition, WoW has still far outdistanced its competitors in subscriber count.  It doesn't matter whether it's F2P, B2P, or P2P.  What really matters in the end is high quality and appealing to a wide range of tastes.

And i still think you are nuts if you seriously think that SWTOR and GW2 can actually take down WOW. We are talking about strong 10+ million players here. For P2P models like WOW success is calculated on basis of active subs on monthly basis. You have to take all these players away to take down WOW.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Surprisingly many people subscribe to Wow without actually playing. Some buddies havn't logged on for 2 months but still pay.

And Wows 2 different payment methods (China have their own) makes things even messier.

To truly know we should have to measure how many people actually logs on to a certain game every week (and preferably stay logged for at least an hour, people both in any of the game just logging on once a week to check the marketplace isn't much of players). We would have to have impartial people that actually measure these things fairly and unbiased.

That wont happen. The only thing we really can measure is the monthly income of each game, that is fair and can't be manipulated so easily.

But I fail to see how it matters which game that is largest anyways? If all 3 games do fine it is great.

And i still think you are nuts if you seriously think that SWTOR and GW2 can actually take down WOW. We are talking about strong 10+ million players here. For P2P models like WOW success is calculated on basis of active subs on monthly basis. You have to take all these players away to take down WOW.

It depends on what your deffinition on taking down Wow is.

Do you mean they would make Wow close down? That aint gonna happen for the next 7 years at least.

Do you mean the game will earn more than Wow? It is possible.

Or do you mean have more active players than Wow? That is far from unlikely, some game will sooner or later.

• Chile267Chile267 Member UncommonPosts: 141

Tor and others like GW2 will slowly over the next two years will bring down WoW. And just before you know it, around 2013-2014 Blizzard will come roaring back with their next project, a.k.a. Titan and change the field once again.

People who have closed minds always think others are "nuts".  Lol!  The point is, Guild Wars 2 and SWTOR are both going to be giant, high quality MMOs.  That's a direct challenge to WoW.  It won't happen overnight.  It took a long time for WoW to get to where it's at.  But I predict there's going to be a huge splash made by these two new games and if their quality equals their hype, a large and steady stream of converts will come for years afterward.

Nothing lasts forever....

• darlok6666darlok6666 Member Posts: 211

Originally posted by Chile267

Tor and others like GW2 will slowly over the next two years will bring down WoW. And just before you know it, around 2013-2014 Blizzard will come roaring back with their next project, a.k.a. Titan and change the field once again.

This, plus there will be TSW and ArcheAge or Terra which all games are getting significant hype.  Fact of the matter is there will be a lot of MMOs coming out it seems like with a lot of potential.

Originally posted by Chile267

Maybe, but past success does not always means future successas well.

And Titan is a MMOFPS game, it is not aiming for the same players as Wow, Morhaime said that himself (it makes sense, competing with yourself isn't smart).

I predict that Blizz will announce Wow 2 the next few years, Blizz love sequels.

And Titans is supposed to release at 2014, knowing Blizz that means 2016, not 2013. ;)

People who have closed minds always think others are "nuts".  Lol!  The point is, Guild Wars 2 and SWTOR are both going to be giant, high quality MMOs.  That's a direct challenge to WoW.  It won't happen overnight.  It took a long time for WoW to get to where it's at.  But I predict there's going to be a huge splash made by these two new games and if their quality equals their hype, a large and steady stream of converts will come for years afterward.

Nothing lasts forever....

Practical people and those with common sense always thinks others who make abusrd claims are 'nuts'.

Yes nothing lasts forever but if in another few years WOW dies down it is because it is a very old game. No game kills another game. Old age is a killer in itself. Anarchy Online is 8 years old and has fraction of WOW player base and i don't think it is going anywhere for another 4 or 5 years. one can only imagine how long it will take WOW to die down. But then again the credit won't go to SWTOR or GW2.

Originally posted by darlok6666

This, plus there will be TSW and ArcheAge or Terra which all games are getting significant hype.  Fact of the matter is there will be a lot of MMOs coming out it seems like with a lot of potential.

They will get some players surely but I don't see any of them getting more than half a million players no matter what.

World of darkness online and the games Undead labs & Zenimax (Bethesda) is working on have higher potential in my book. All 3 of those games have MMO vets and great teams.

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011

Whoops, already posted on this thread.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

Practical people and those with common sense always thinks others who make abusrd claims are 'nuts'.

Yes nothing lasts forever but if in another few years WOW dies down it is because it is a very old game. No game kills another game. Old age is a killer in itself. Anarchy Online is 8 years old and has fraction of WOW player base and i don't think it is going anywhere for another 4 or 5 years. one can only imagine how long it will take WOW to die down. But then again the credit won't go to SWTOR or GW2.

Relying on "common sense" alone can be a two edged sword since people like that tend not to think outside of the box.  It was "practical and common sense" to believe the world was flat at one point, after all.

You basically just repeated one of my reasons for WoW going on the decline:  Its old age.  Like I said in my previous post, it's going to be a combination of old age AND competition from other high quality MMOs.  Guild Wars 2 and SWTOR are both high quality games from the looks of it.  It's their battle cry, after all,  to make a high quality game and finish it when it's done.  Bioware has a very good track record and Arenanet's game is looking very polished and finished even though they haven't even announced a release date.

Relying on "common sense" alone can be a two edged sword since people like that tend not to think outside of the box.  It was "practical and common sense" to believe the world was flat at one point, after all.

You basically just repeated one of my reasons for WoW going on the decline:  Its old age.  Like I said in my previous post, it's going to be a combination of old age AND competition from other high quality MMOs.  Guild Wars 2 and SWTOR are both high quality games from the looks of it.  It's their battle cry, after all,  to make a high quality game and finish it when it's done.  Bioware has a very good track record and Arenanet's game is looking very polished and finished even though they haven't even announced a release date.

if thinking outside of box means agreeing with you then nope sorry. 

Also i don't understand how it can be combination of old age and compeition from GW2 to SWTOR. Like i said games with lesser population are still up and running. EQ, Vanguard and Anarchy online for example. You are really telling me that GW2 and SWTOR will be WOW's compeition for another 5 or more years? that is not much of a compeition now is it when a game itself gets 12+ years old.

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321

Got my copy pre ordered and plan on being there for the early start but have to disagree with the OP. From what I have seen on the net and read TOR is going sell a ton of copies but I would not be on it retaining that many for three months or more. I Love the overall look of the game and I am sure it will be a quality game but just don't think it has a lot of long term play potential. I am looking at it like I would a good single player game that I will play night and day for 60 days or so and say "gee that was fun, whats next" ?

Just out of curiosity for those who see it as their next long term game why do you foresee yourself playing it longer than it takes to level a main and maybe a alt to max level? PvP ? Raids? Crafting ? To retain players for 90 days or more a MMO needs a good hook and I just don't see one here.

My money says within a year it wil level out at a repectable 400K or so.

I miss DAoC

Originally posted by Jackdog

Got my copy pre ordered and plan on being there for the early start but have to disagree with the OP. From what I have seen on the net and read TOR is going sell a ton of copies but I would not be on it retaining that many for three months or more. I Love the overall look of the game and I am sure it will be a quality game but just don't think it has a lot of long term play potential. I am looking at it like I would a good single player game that I will play night and day for 60 days or so and say "gee that was fun, whats next" ?

Just out of curiosity for those who see it as their next long term game why do you foresee yourself playing it longer than it takes to level a main and maybe a alt to max level? PvP ? Raids? Crafting ? To retain players for 90 days or more a MMO needs a good hook and I just don't see one here.

200 hours of storyline on one character. And every class has a different storyline so add up all those 200 hours. then there is crafting which is beginning to shape up a very fun activity (and i am the guy who generally hates crafting), PVP, exploration, titles, achievements. I won't be raiding though. but it is also there. For a casual gamer like me that is hell lot of content for 3 months. Don't forget there are 17 planets on launch.

And no one can say with surety that Bioware won't add more content over these 90 days.

http://www.industrygamers.com/news/star-wars-the-old-republic-has-200-hours-of-gameplay--for-each-class/

SWTOR is coming out of the gates with 200 hours of gameplay for each class.  The hardcore gamer will reach that cap in no time flat, but then that's not much different from WoW or any other mmo with pve content.  There's always going to be a finite amount of pve content you can put in there.  Only pvp can be open ended.

• SonikFlashSonikFlash Member UncommonPosts: 561

you know, i read the title and i knew exactly what all 36 pages would say :P

• stamps79stamps79 Member Posts: 233

SWTOR will not take down WOW, just like other's that have posted before, WOW will take down WOW.  

With the amount of solid MMO's coming out and SWTOR being one of them, I'm sure they will effects WOW's numbers, but not enough to take it down....thinking like that is just make believe.  

GW2 and SWTOR will probably be the big hitters that will get an easy million plus during there first months of launch.  Blizzard is also setting it's next expansion for for a late 2012 to 2013 window, so even though lots of people will be playing a list of new promising MMO's, Blizzard will get returning players.  If it fails in the way that Cataclysm did to most players, me being one of them...I'm sure those players will finally step away from WOW and just move on to something fresh.

If Blizzard doesn't impress with their new expansion, they could easily force their numbers to drop by 15 to 35% within half a years time of launch...it could be even higher.  Blizzard really needs to step up there game and show something different, because as of now, I have no means to come back anytime soon.

Wildstar (2013) & Elder Scroll Online (2013)

Playing: Diablo 3, WOW, Far Cry 3 & X-Com.

Enjoyed: WOW 5 1/2 yrs, LOTRO 3yrs, GW 1/2yr, DFO 1yr, EVE Online 3yrs, and Huxley (Beta).

Failed to impress: GW2 3months, Tera Online 6 months (best combat system in any MMO I've played) STO 1/4yr, Aion 1/2yr, AoC 1yr, CO, Fallen Earth, DDO, EQ2 1/2yr, WAR 1/2yr, Lineage 2 and FF XI 1/2yr, FF XIV.

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

http://www.industrygamers.com/news/star-wars-the-old-republic-has-200-hours-of-gameplay--for-each-class/
    SWTOR is coming out of the gates with 200 hours of gameplay for each class.  The hardcore gamer will reach that cap in no time flat, but then that's not much different from WoW or any other mmo with pve content.  There's always going to be a finite amount of pve content you can put in there.  Only pvp can be open ended.

You can't design games and content around power gamers. It's an impossible feat.

• theratmonkeytheratmonkey Member Posts: 684

While I don't believe that this will be a "wow killer", I believe that this is the intention of EA with this game. EA has been trying to get a good stronghold measurable to WoW for a good bit, and now that Activision is merged with Blizzard, they're probably taking this to the max.

They're already looking to take the FPS market away from Activision, even so far as predicting that the COD games don't have much life left.

Groovy.

• ericlatrelleericlatrelle Member UncommonPosts: 176

Originally posted by Adoni

Originally posted by Sain34

Does it even matter?

nope.

• alastor44alastor44 Member UncommonPosts: 21

I always laugh when I see the term "WoW Killer". Sorry to burst everyone's bubble but it does not exist or WoW would have been killed already. So many gamers have too much time invested into WoW to just jump to a new game and leave their time and friends behind. The Old Republic will hopefully do fine in today's market, Rift is still doing decent enough. I will probably pick up The Old Republic, play it for a month or two, get bored, and move on to the next game that comes out.

Waiting for:
    Diablo 3 Seasonal Ladders
    Warlords of Draenor

This discussion has been closed.