Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Internet Trolls are what ruined WoW.

2»

Comments

• OkhamsRazorOkhamsRazor Member Posts: 1,047

Originally posted by wahala99

OMG  I just discovered  yesterday that WoW has ruined the taste of chocolate ice cream.  My life is over.

But think of all the weight you'll lose and the money you'll save :)

• RazeronRazeron Member Posts: 180

Actually, it was the B-Team developers they dragged out of the woodwork while the "A-Team" works on their MMOFPS shit.

• Eighteen16Eighteen16 Member UncommonPosts: 146

I don't think trolls are that much of an issue in Wow. Having such a huge playerbase it is bound to bring in all kinds of people, including its share of idiots. Having played many years of Counter Strike, Call of Duty and Battlefield games I think that nothing can compare to how awful the majority of FPS community is at trolling. Imagine if in Wow people could team kill and completely prevent you from being able to do anything.

Internet has simply always been a place for the insecure to try to make themselves feel better by messing with others, you can bite and argue with them or just ignore them and move on. Just do your best and try to do most of the group play with your friends, even though pugs have been becoming much more popular in the past year.

• catlanacatlana Member Posts: 1,677

Originally posted by C0MA

wait a minute... if WoW is ruined.... wth is every other game on the market?

As for trolls... yes internet + anonymity = douche baggery . It's not just a WoW thing though, as it's a internet thing.

Yes, you are going to find a lot of internet trolls out there. There are some in WoW. However there are also some really great people in game as well. Finding the right group to hang out with is important in any game. 

• frostsmithfrostsmith Member Posts: 111

I wouldn't say ruin WoW. It's easy to ignore someone on the internet. I mean, once I hear a kids voice or them typing racist remarks, I pretty much stop listening to that person. Also, it doesn't help when people fill up the forums with crying about said person, either. You're just playing into their hands.

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788

I've played WoW only trial, and watched my brother play further. I must say that WoW is truly unique game, full of content, and very fun to play from the look of it. People just like to troll the most succesfull games. 'My mmo is better than WoW' thing..

• pmcubedpmcubed Member Posts: 289

you read trade chat?  Join a guild with a vent.  Still getting trolled or bullied?  then you need to find a new game sir.

• haratuharatu Member UncommonPosts: 409

What ruined WoW was the destruction of its lore, repetitive raiding, and lack of variety in items (variety of items is fixed just recently).

WoW is a good game, no one can deny that, but after a year or two it begins to drop off in variety. This is not a limited condition to just WoW, many games suffer the same problem.

• LisXiaLisXia Member Posts: 390

Originally posted by haratu

What ruined WoW was the destruction of its lore, repetitive raiding, and lack of variety in items (variety of items is fixed just recently).

WoW is a good game, no one can deny that, but after a year or two it begins to drop off in variety. This is not a limited condition to just WoW, many games suffer the same problem.

After trying everything, after enjoying the best parts (meaning those I like), after spending hours of laughter and frustration, it is time to move on.

The game itself does not change that much, but I have changed enough to move on.  It is my fault.  I am no longer the same old me 6 years ago.

• TaiphozTaiphoz Member UncommonPosts: 353

I think what the OP needs to understand is that the trolls commonly found on sites like this, or any mmo forum , in fact the percentage of mmo players of any mmo who actually even bother looking at or reading sites like this or their own mmo sites are tiny in comparison.

Its like 1 or 2 % of an mmo's player base that spends time on the games forums, if 11 million wow players started to post on the blizzard forums the server would be dead in seconds, and blizzard would struggle to be able to do anything about it under such load.

So no trolls have not ruined wow, blizzard ruined wow by making it far to casual and casual friendly.

• SulaaSulaa Member UncommonPosts: 1,329

Trolls are everywhere but WoW design made it even worse.

Face it , tools like Dungeon Finder, cross-server BG ,etc disconnects people from server community making them even more anonymous thus more people behave like jerks.

Only way is to not introduce tools like this. Will this solve a problem. Hell no. But try to remember WoW in times where you actually had to look for group or people for your own group and then go psychically to dungeon instead of teleporting from inside a city.

Did it took longer? Yeah a bit , but nowadays ppl are waiting for 30 min+ as well...

Was it less convenient? sure it was.

Were people as big douchebags in dungeons then? Some were , but percentage wise there were less of them , because they were not anonymous.

• LisXiaLisXia Member Posts: 390

Originally posted by Sulaa

Face it , tools like Dungeon Finder, cross-server BG ,etc disconnects people from server community making them even more anonymous thus more people behave like jerks.

Only way is to not introduce tools like this. Will this solve a problem. Hell no. But try to remember WoW in times where you actually had to look for group or people for your own group and then go psychically to dungeon instead of teleporting from inside a city.

Did it took longer? Yeah a bit , but nowadays ppl are waiting for 30 min+ as well...

Were people as big douchebags in dungeons then? Some were , but percentage wise there were less of them , because they were not anonymous.

When you are waiting in a dungeon finder queue, you can be doing anything, you can be pvping, crafting, collecting.

When you spent the same 30 min going to the dungeon, you are not able to do anything unless it is along the path.N

Now, whether this arrangement encourages d-bags or not, that is an opinion.

• frostsmithfrostsmith Member Posts: 111

Off topic ... but was WoW the first MMO to have gold farmers?

• ChilliesauceChilliesauce Member Posts: 559

Originally posted by Sulaa

Nope. It didn't solve anything for games like EQ2 and AOC. People who are going to be jerks they will be jerks regardles of these tools. Infact, EQ2 community is even the worse. Such childish gay and sex jokes, insults and cussing fly in chat and in general that it is hard to keep the chat channel on for more than a minute. 

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

the worst is the lore is in there lol,it is all in reading if you like lore and like to know where the game is going with its wild horses,search and read the lore in the various format avail in wow.it is all in there

• azrael466azrael466 Member Posts: 365

Originally posted by Ezhae

Want to avoid trolls in MMOs? Join a decent guild. Simple as that. If you play with randoms you expose yourself to trolling. Fact is tho, that ever since cross-server BGs and LFG system it's just a lot harder to get to know people from your own server. Back in the days, at least form my experience, you joined a guild you seen a lot either in /LFG or in BGs and you just chatted a bit every now and then. 

Now it's only browsing various guild forums, hoping that the one you apply to isin't composed of complete d-bags. 

Only, its NOT that simple. For example, on my realm(draka), all the guilds are either

A dead

B super hardcore full of assholes.

So unless you have the money to transfer all your characters to another realm if you're on one like mine..Good luck.

Playing
    Nothing
    waiting for
    The secret world
    Played
    WoW, DCU online, star wars: the old republic, city of heroes, city of villains, everquest, plenty more I'm probably forgetting or aren't worth noting.

• AzariaAzaria Member Posts: 318

Originally posted by Kalfer

Originally posted by Azaria

WOW was ruined by two things WOTLK and CAT. Wrath imbalanced the game beyond reason while making some specs totally useless, and they are still useless to this day. CAT dumbed down an already broken system so it would be easier and destroyed the only thing getting new players the original world, which by in large is now a rip off of a WAR starting zone. This is what happens when you dont police bad devs.

Disagree completely. These expansions were great and full of content. Particularly Cata did something wonderful things.

What is happening here is that people who don't know when to move on to a new game, starts making stupid reasons why they are sick of the game. It has nothing to do with Cata or WOTLK. It has something to do with the game being old, and people wanting something different.

Nostalgia is a hell of a drug, but learn the difference, and you see. WoW anno 2004 was not sunshine and rainbows. it was a grind that lakced content, spread thin, lacked depth, had repetitive encounters and few mechanics. classes like Paladin were beyond retarded. BEYOND RETARDED. Full retard, for years. 

Many of the quests sucked, had horrible drop times, unfinished storyline, initial BG implants were made on broken promises, and to a point everything was two steps forward, one step back.

Understand that this game was never difficult. it was never hardcore. it was never designed that way. Go back before release and read any preview. They basically all state that their main objective was to make a game where people could play together. The EQ self promoted hardcore people got it all wrong, and tried and cried for changes for the game to be their second life.

They stired in the casual direction because that was their initial goal. the game was made for short bursts of fun. Not EQ-I-have-no-life.

The game initially simply had not enough content when it came out. so they spread it out. they made it tedious and slow on purpose, so people wouldn't burn through it so fast.

It's more rich now and feature packed and content packed, and from a gameplay perspective it's more smooth and playable than it has ever been. 

Wall of feelings aside, you're wrong. CAT was horrible, it even drastically dumbed down the talent trees, which for WOW was a feat let me tell you. WOTLK was god awful, and paladins are you serious? Paladins used to take some skill to play before Wrath not the 2 button class they currently are, if you condone that as an improvement I have to question your judgement. Not to mention DKs even after the nerfs hit them still imbalanced the game beyond repair. PVP was hurt, forced PVE, battle ground rules implemented FOR AFKers who didn't like their free honor taking so long to get finished lol.

But I think the fact that the game is probably going to lose a million subs this year proof of my case. The rich feature packed game you speak of is a dumbed down shadow of the former game. Its like going from UO pre Ren to UO AOS. Thats just a fact.

• UnleadedRevUnleadedRev Member UncommonPosts: 568

NO. It was the Trade Chat, potty talk and l33t wanna be WoW kiddies that ruined WoW.

• ZarynterkZarynterk Member UncommonPosts: 398

The same re-hashed crap that they call "content" is what ruined the game... over and over and over and over... for the same types of gear...

• lordpenquinlordpenquin Member Posts: 129

Step by step guide to playing any MMORPG:

1.  Log in.

2.  Turn off all chat channels except guild.

3.  Problem solved.

The main problem with online games these days is other people. 

• paroxysmparoxysm Member Posts: 437

Originally posted by lordpenquin

Step by step guide to playing any MMORPG:

1.  Log in.

2.  Turn off all chat channels except guild.

3.  Problem solved.

The main problem with online games these days is other people. 

So the best way to play online games with lots of other people is to not talk to any of them?

While I do agree that a lot of games, WoW especially, have let their forums get completely out of control, lack of true even handed moderation is also to blame.  If moderators don't enforce the rules, they won't get followed for long.  WoW forums are some of the worst, under utilized, bias moderated, and horribly managed game forums around.  They even go out of their way to avoid their own forums by utilizing exterior blogs and twitter accounts.  What a waste. 

[edit]

This applies to in game as well.  How many times do you have to report someone to see some action?  How many times have you wanted to ignore someone, but your ignore list is full?  The temp ignore is just that, temporary. 

[/edit]

• HyperbeamHyperbeam Member Posts: 124

Originally posted by LisXia

Originally posted by haratu

After trying everything, after enjoying the best parts (meaning those I like), after spending hours of laughter and frustration, it is time to move on.

The game itself does not change that much, but I have changed enough to move on.  It is my fault.  I am no longer the same old me 6 years ago.

I could site lots of points about rehashes of content, or developers nickle and dimeing/changing things to suit themselves rather then the community, or even the general RNG annoyances, but I think you sum it up best.

I was in a great guild but after six years I've done my time with Wow.  I've had some great times and met some of the most bizzare people I'll ever meet in my life, so as Oasis once said, 'We don't look back in anger...' :P