Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars Galaxies: Publish 19

DanaDana Member Posts: 2,415

LucasArts has passed along details of "Publish 19", the latest update to Star Wars Galaxies. Included in their update are six new screenshots. Here are the details direct from Community Manager Chris Baker:

Star Wars Galaxies gets a big update on June 29 with quite a few additions going into Publish 19. Some of the more notable ones include a new chapter in the Syren story arc quest, changes to Smuggler slicing, morale-boosting visits from heroes of the Galactic Civil War, and TONS of revisions implemented because of feedback offered at Star Wars Galaxies Fan Fest 2005 in Anaheim earlier this month.

The Syren story arc quest enters its third chapter and definitely promises a surprise or two. Join in and travel the galaxy to environments such as Talus, Naboo and Corellia space. You never know what reward may await…

The Smuggler slicing game sees a facelift, too, with greater rewards awaiting the galaxy’s savviest scoundrels. Smugglers can now upgrade weapons and armor in previously unavailable ways, as they proactively choose to change a weapon’s speed, critical chance and damage. They may also choose to increase their armor’s resilience, deflection, critical save and armor break defense.

And what better way to use your new modified weapons and armor than on a quest supplied to you by an infamous Dark Lord of the Sith or the greatest hero of the Rebellion? At intermittent points in the game at the galaxy’s bigger cities, Imperials might welcome a morale boost from Darth Vader, while Luke Skywalker rallies his Rebel friends. And depending on your allegiance, each also just might have a job for you…

On June 2 and 3 at Star Wars Galaxies Fan Fest 2005, players certainly had their own tasks for the game’s developers. And less than a month later, the dedicated teams at Sony Online Entertainment and LucasArts are delivering. From increasing the damage ranges on cybernetic arms to allowing Jedi to Force choke through an opponent’s armor, nearly 40 fan suggestions have found their way into Galaxies. And that’s only the beginning…

Dana Massey
Formerly of MMORPG.com
Currently Lead Designer for Bit Trap Studios

Comments

• JestorRodoJestorRodo Member UncommonPosts: 2,642

Originally posted by Lepidus

LucasArts has passed along details of "Publish 19", the latest update to Star Wars Galaxies. Included in their update are six new screenshots. Here are the details direct from Community Manager Chris Baker:

Star Wars Galaxies gets a big update on June 29 with quite a few additions going into Publish 19. Some of the more notable ones include a new chapter in the Syren story arc quest, changes to Smuggler slicing, morale-boosting visits from heroes of the Galactic Civil War, and TONS of revisions implemented because of feedback offered at Star Wars Galaxies Fan Fest 2005 in Anaheim earlier this month.
    The Syren story arc quest enters its third chapter and definitely promises a surprise or two. Join in and travel the galaxy to environments such as Talus, Naboo and Corellia space. You never know what reward may await…
    The Smuggler slicing game sees a facelift, too, with greater rewards awaiting the galaxy’s savviest scoundrels. Smugglers can now upgrade weapons and armor in previously unavailable ways, as they proactively choose to change a weapon’s speed, critical chance and damage. They may also choose to increase their armor’s resilience, deflection, critical save and armor break defense.
    And what better way to use your new modified weapons and armor than on a quest supplied to you by an infamous Dark Lord of the Sith or the greatest hero of the Rebellion? At intermittent points in the game at the galaxy’s bigger cities, Imperials might welcome a morale boost from Darth Vader, while Luke Skywalker rallies his Rebel friends. And depending on your allegiance, each also just might have a job for you…
    On June 2 and 3 at Star Wars Galaxies Fan Fest 2005, players certainly had their own tasks for the game’s developers. And less than a month later, the dedicated teams at Sony Online Entertainment and LucasArts are delivering. From increasing the damage ranges on cybernetic arms to allowing Jedi to Force choke through an opponent’s armor, nearly 40 fan suggestions have found their way into Galaxies. And that’s only the beginning…

GTH SOE~! There is nothing SOE can do to restore this shabby game. /salute with a codfish!

Unaware of the Jestor?
    http://about.me/JestorRodo/

Friends enjoy his classic Vblog - https://www.facebook.com/GoodOldReliableNathan

• FionFion Member UncommonPosts: 2,348

"There is nothing SOE can do to restore this shabby game."

Oh hey your a little out of date man. There actually was. It was called the CU ;)

• FivoFivo Member Posts: 17

SOE continues to not fix the fundamentals and push broken untested game material onto its customers.  Almost three months and we cannot get the loot tables fixed to drop REQUIRED lightsabre components.  They continue to build a playerbase with all content based upon grief and continue to use the nerf bat to control a system that was supposedly fixed with the infamous CURB.

If you like a system where the rules change every two weeks and you cannot get the most basic components to play a profession that took a year to achieve due to coding, come on over to SWG.  :P

• Greylady14Greylady14 Member UncommonPosts: 2

As of the new publish CH is broken. all tamed pets in data pad and any newly tames are lvl1(0) and have 100 hp 5-10 damage, This includes the lvl 65's that were in data pad before update. The BE pets however were not damaged. This bug was noted and posted in the bug forum on the Test server 2 weeks ago and made it on to live server today. So far no fix in site

• WuduLarchWuduLarch Member Posts: 140
    The most fun thing about SWG2 is cancelling your subscription and deleting it from your hard drive. I have heard that crafting and CH will be fixed in publish 147968 (hehehe). They needed to move the CH fix back a bit to fix the current issues first. When they get it fixed, it will be a great game for the eight players left. The only way to fix SWG2 is to roll back the last half dozen or so publishes. They has a community oriented game that had player friendly combat system and changed it to a combat oriented game that has a very weak combat system. Play Second Life for community and Battlefeild2 for combat. Have more fun and save some money.
  • FaelanFaelan Member UncommonPosts: 819

They still haven't fixed the vendor issues.
    They still haven't fixed the BE tissues.
    They still haven't fixed the factory made armor/clothing reverting to default colors when uncrated issue.
    Etc. etc. and so on...

Yet...

They somehow managed to find the time to nerf medium Naboo houses so that you can't place them right next to each other like you used to. While this solved the issue of people abusing them to wall off areas, it also destroyed many carefully planned city layouts in one fell swoop.

Was this "fix" really needed so badly? To the point of not fixing the other game breaking issues?

Tailors are pretty much out of business because BE enhanced clothing is the only thing they can really make a living on. I've personally stopped making armor because I can't be bothered having to relist everything on my vendors whenever the server goes down and crafting everything by hand in order to get the colors right. It's just not worth the frustration. In fact, I'm starting to wonder if the game itself is worth it. It's an awful lot of money per month when each month just brings me more bugs, nerfs and broken content.

I'm a big ol' fluffy carewolf. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Originally posted by Fion

Oh hey your a little out of date man. There actually was. It was called the CU ;)

Oh, I was at the SWG breakfast at Celebration 3 and was one of the first to preview the CU.

That was not a restore but a wreacking ball, 16k  petition singers would agree.image

Unaware of the Jestor?

Friends enjoy his classic Vblog - https://www.facebook.com/GoodOldReliableNathan

• ScarisScaris Member UncommonPosts: 5,332

Originally posted by JestorRodo
    Oh, I was at the SWG breakfast at Celebration 3 and was one of the first to preview the CU.
    That was not a restore but a wreacking ball, 16k petition singers would agree.image

You still trolling and trying to push that petition? For someone that says they are through with it you sure do seem to act like a groupie wanting revenge for not getting enough attention. Go do something you like to do instead of tramping all over other peoples pass-times. And I have already proved that petition is worthless.

- Scaris

"What happened to you, Star Wars Galaxies? You used to look like Leia. Not quite gold bikini Leia (more like bad-British-accent-and-cinnamon-bun-hair Leia), but still Leia nonetheless. Now you look like Chewbacca." - Computer Gaming World

Originally posted by Faelan
    They still haven't fixed the vendor issues.
    They still haven't fixed the BE tissues.
    They still haven't fixed the factory made armor/clothing reverting to default colors when uncrated issue.
    Etc. etc. and so on...Yet...They somehow managed to find the time to nerf medium Naboo houses so that you can't place them right next to each other like you used to. While this solved the issue of people abusing them to wall off areas, it also destroyed many carefully planned city layouts in one fell swoop.Was this "fix" really needed so badly? To the point of not fixing the other game breaking issues?Tailors are pretty much out of business because BE enhanced clothing is the only thing they can really make a living on. I've personally stopped making armor because I can't be bothered having to relist everything on my vendors whenever the server goes down and crafting everything by hand in order to get the colors right. It's just not worth the frustration. In fact, I'm starting to wonder if the game itself is worth it. It's an awful lot of money per month when each month just brings me more bugs, nerfs and broken content.

Umm, none of that touches a candle to what they did to Creature Handlers. All my friends pets are now equal to cl 1's except the BE'ed ones that were already bugged. They are stil uncallable.

They have pretty much screwed every patch they have put out this year that I can recall. I wonder when they are gonna get the hint that their testing methods are unacceptable.

- Scaris

"What happened to you, Star Wars Galaxies? You used to look like Leia. Not quite gold bikini Leia (more like bad-British-accent-and-cinnamon-bun-hair Leia), but still Leia nonetheless. Now you look like Chewbacca." - Computer Gaming World

• 5C0UT5C0UT Member Posts: 4

Originally posted by Lepidus:

From increasing the damage ranges on cybernetic arms

Wasnt it so that the Fans asked to reduce the range of the cybernetics arms, thus preventing rifles outranging turrets, thus destroying turrets without any danger?

It looks like there hasn't been a proper background check on the information in this article.

• radishradish Member Posts: 3

I ABSOLUT LOVE THEM SCREEN SHOOTS...IT JUST GOES TO SHOW WHAT A GHOST TOWN, NO SORRY SERVER, THAT THE GAME HAS BECOME...

GREAT WORK SOE image

last one out please turn off the lights

Originally posted by radish
    I ABSOLUT LOVE THEM SCREEN SHOOTS...IT JUST GOES TO SHOW WHAT A GHOST TOWN, NO SORRY SERVER, THAT THE GAME HAS BECOME...

GREAT WORK SOE image

You referring all servers going up one to 2 levels in populations lately? I dunno where your getting your info from but everything I have seen IN game and out says just the opposite. Nice guesswork! ::::28::

- Scaris

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297

Originally posted by radish

GREAT WORK SOE image

LOL ... I see you are used to doctors spamming their services in front of starports and dozens of people lining up around them to get a god-mode buff. That may be the reason why Theed and Coronet square starport may look empty to you on these screenshots.

Well ... no one is waiting for buffs these days. Docs are out in the field healing their buddies. There is less spamming all around. Most servers are at "heavy" or "extremely heavy" load during their prime hours.

Enter the game .. take a look around (especially in Mos Eisley) .. and THEN reread your statment. Let me know what you think then.

Have fun

Erillion 

• ThePhoenixThePhoenix Staff WriterMember UncommonPosts: 116

What I'm pondering is:

Do the servers actually have more people on them, or did SOE just lower the number of people it took to trigger the higher load display??

Things that make ya go "hhhmmmmm.........." ::=^~::

Originally posted by ThePhoenix
    What I'm pondering is:Do the servers actually have more people on them, or did SOE just lower the number of people it took to trigger the higher load display??Things that make ya go "hhhmmmmm.........." ::=^~::

*laughing* here we go again!

- Scaris

Well Fadeus, I hope your account never meets the fate that mine did. As I mentioned to my good friends at SOE it's like having the author of the  12 chapter book you are reading ripped right out of your hands  right in the middle of chapter 8 just because the author did not like the way I was enjoying it.  SOE, EXCUUUUUSE Me.

BTW I will be out of town for a week , If anyone is in Ocean City MD North Park for the 4th , maybe you can say "Love that Jestor". 

Unaware of the Jestor?

Originally posted by JestorRodo
    Well Fadeus, I hope your account never meets the fate that mine did. As I mentioned to my good friends at SOE it's like having the author of the 12 chapter book you are reading ripped right out of your hands right in the middle of chapter 8 just because the author did not like the way I was enjoying it. SOE, EXCUUUUUSE Me.
    BTW I will be out of town for a week , If anyone is in Ocean City MD North Park for the 4th , maybe you can say "Love that Jestor".

Um, no. I have been using SOE products now since the launch of Everquest I and I have never had a concern about having my account banned. If your actions here are anything like they were on there then I can see why you got banned.

- Scaris

Well  Fadeus,  I am not sure what you mean by my actions, As I have mentioned , to the SOE faithful that I am not here to start a flame war or anything of the sort , to the contrary I have shown respect for all here, especially you. 

Now the matter of SOE and my banning  - it was for alleged forum misuse – SOE they claim. As you may know Sony On-line Entertainment is the only Company with such a policy and I also EQ1 first year veteran wonders why a simple forum banning  which would have taken care of the matter but no SOE went to the extremes of gaming my accounts . All that I have done since was a reaction to that extreme.

If you don’t mind, I am going to be /afk for a week on the afore mentioned vacation , later.

Unaware of the Jestor?

• ResearcherResearcher Member Posts: 20
    That primarily green screenshot ...what is that, a broken up blockade runner?

Originally posted by Researcher
    That primarily green screenshot ...what is that, a broken up blockade runner?

Kinda, SWG has a smaller version of the corvette that has only 2 row's of thrusters on it that they use for transports. I don't know the official designation of it though.

- Scaris

• FionFion Member UncommonPosts: 2,348

"That was not a restore but a wreacking ball, 16k petition singers would agree"

16'000 people is a significantly small minority of the over-all player base man. When you've got about 200'000 people playing the game, easily double that now that the CU has come out, that number seems smaller and smaller :)

I understand you dislike the CU. I just have an opposing opinion of it :)

"That was not a restore but a wreacking ball, 16k petition singers would agree"16'000 people is a significantly small minority of the over-all player base man. When you've got about 200'000 people playing the game, easily double that now that the CU has come out, that number seems smaller and smaller :)I understand you dislike the CU. I just have an opposing opinion of it :)

I wouldn't even give that petition credit for 50% of the signatures. Its far too easy to sign up for it unlimited times.

- Scaris

• BalrokBalrok Member Posts: 6

If I recall this threed was supposed to be about Pub 19, not the CU or the Petition.  (which I signed for the total dislike of the CU)  With being said, the petiton was a joke, once I learned the numbers on it.  The CU I have gotten used to, and do like the 3k ham and not needing a buff to go hunt.  I don't like that not everyone has the 3k of ham, but I have a crafter alt so I am biased in that opinion, or the 1 hit and incap that he suffers from most MOB's.  If you don't like the CU and the way it is, then you probably won't like most of the game's that are out there.  This is the only MMORG that I play, but from discussions with my friends that have less of a life than I appearently do.  SWG has for the most part copied the FOTM combat style from other games, such as WOW, but this is just what I'm told so don't really hold me to that.  Anyway on to Pub 19......

There were some issues addressed that I was glad to see, such as action cost on some moves.  But the adding and the amount of mind cost to Jedi healing seems to be a little more than unfair.  That with the reduction of mind cost and timers to Doc/CM healing abilities has really put us Jedi in a disadvantage when trying to defend ourselves from BH's with these skills.  The slicing thing I don't really fully understand what all that is going to intell, it seems they are getting a system to add Smugglers to the BH terminals which has been discussed in some forums. 

For the point of the population of SWG, once again I don't know the exact numbers, but I do seem to see a lot more people online.  Just a shame that I lost a good portion of my friends because of the CU to other games, or the alure of selling accounts on Ebay.  Some of the more serious changes that need to be made is in the professions of CH and BE.  I was a CH from day one till I had to drop those skills for my Jedi.  Considering that the highest level pet you can call is a level 70, and most of the good spawns are level 79+ it renders pets usless, since they can no longer tank for the masters due to the DPS system that warrants who gets the agro.  Add to the the damage Multiplyer (mispelled I'm sure) which doesn't help any.  BE with it not adding to your CL, makes approaching the High end creatures in order to sample their DNA, and we are talking about instant death for a player. 

But there is my 2 cents, have fun tearing it apart.

Balrok