Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Older IP's for a new generation

SkymourneSkymourne Member UncommonPosts: 380

i was sitting here, at 4:48 in the morning sipping my coffee and i smiled.  The thought of being able to play in a persistent environment with other folks in some of my favorite older game settings made me happy.  

Mainly, the memory of playing through the original Wild Arms recently came to mind, and as one of my favorite older games ( Chrono Trigger being my favorite ), i couldn't help but wonder what that particular world would be like in an MMO setting.  Could it be viable? Would the lore stand the test of time?  Would anyone have the testicular fortitude to do it?  Obviously it will never happen as those titles belong to companies who would never venture into this realm, however, it didn't stop me from imagining!

Terrible sound effects and clunky 1997 ps1 graphics aside, Wild Arms was one of the best, underappreciated rpgs from my youthful years and i think the original setting of the first game would make a perfect world to explore in a sandbox setting.  I believe it would work and would be incredibly immersive.  

Does anyone have any older titles that they are terribly fond of that they would like to see in an mmo setting?

Comments

• eyeswideopeneyeswideopen Member Posts: 2,414

Deus Ex.

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-
    -And on the 8th day, man created God.-

• SkymourneSkymourne Member UncommonPosts: 380

Originally posted by eyeswideopen

Deus Ex.

damn that does sound intruiging! very nice :)

• DOGMA1138DOGMA1138 Member UncommonPosts: 476

Might and Magic(Not heroes Of...) A true D&Desk game, before 3rd eddition and 4th(AKA the WoW Edition), with a true Forgotten Realms setting, so BG/IWD.

Also a Vampire: The Masquerade game could be a very nice for an MMO, but these days sadly it most likely be a twilight ripoff pos...

Originally posted by DOGMA1138

Might and Magic(Not heroes Of...) A true D&Desk game, before 3rd eddition and 4th(AKA the WoW Edition), with a true Forgotten Realms setting, so BG/IWD.

Also a Vampire: The Masquerade game could be a very nice for an MMO, but these days sadly it most likely be a twilight ripoff pos...

I would love a current MMO version of AD&D.  Forgotten Realms would be fabulous, unfortunately, any attempt at a Dungeons and Dragons universe has been a little disappointing ( just my opinion ) at best.  Might and magic would be pretty great as well, as that title brings back some great memories :)

• Salio69Salio69 Member CommonPosts: 428

I'd love to see an mmo based on Final Fantasy 7. Not the current garbage final fantasy mmos.

• ruonimruonim Member Posts: 251

fallout (orginal 1,2 -not bathseda crap one)

Originally posted by ruonim

absolutely spot on. 

• Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440

Baldur's Gate? 

• JenuvielJenuviel Member Posts: 960

It's not incredibly old (2005), but I'd love a western, subscription-based MMO based on BioWare's "Jade Empire." I really, really loved that world. I realize there are about 7 trillion free-to-play MMOs based on Chinese mythology, but BioWare operates at such a high level that none of said F2P games really compared (at least for me). I really would have preferred a Jade Empire MMO to a Star Wars one, but it's pretty clear why that didn't happen. Still, the game had absolutely lovely ambience and lore, and I really wish they'd revisit it in one form or another.

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

I would love to see a Forgotten Realm game, that had a lot of sandbox and dynamic/AI type content....computer generated dungeons that were not instanced...once cleared they were collapsed/closed, to where you had to adventure and find the content, and help shape it....

I could go on, but I would love a living type world where the AI/cpu did stuff that was aggressive and made sense, and to where players could also do big world events, like take kingdoms, ect...

• XexvXexv Member Posts: 308

Bit of a niche game I guess but I'd like to see the Thief universe with DAoC-style RvR between the factional groups with hammerites/pagans etc...taffer.

• hundejahrehundejahre Member Posts: 339

I have to agree 100% with the Fallout and Fallout 2 idea, they are still two of my all time favorite games.

I still get shivers thinking about the first time I stepped into that church that turned out to have stealthed super-mutants in it, freaked the crap out of me.

I think an MMO based on Planescape would be awesome... randomly generated small instances in the City of Doors anyone?

I'd like to see something MMO done with FASA's Mechwarrior too, perhaps something like for all the "hub" content you run around on your own, but you enter instances through the bay of a dropship... in your 'mech.

Originally posted by Xexv

Bit of a niche game I guess but I'd like to see the Thief universe with DAoC-style RvR between the factional groups with hammerites/pagans etc...taffer.

man that sounds like fun!

• garrygarry Member Posts: 263

Former Game designer for TSR and Pacesetter Games here. Despite being a professional game designer (retired now) I always preferred to play a game rather than run it. So how about these IPs for an MMO game:

Shadowrun - a game primarily designed from bottom up for groups with solo play as a part of that group. Cool concept, great genre.

Mechwarrior - Big combat robots, single and group play combined with outstanding lore and yet to be done in an MMORPG format (that I know of).

Space:1889 - Perfect Historical/space/fantasy mixture just perfect for crafters as a primary focus in game.

Vampire:The Masquerade - Mentioned earlier but has extremely rich lore for the genre - fantasy with flair. Excellent lean for PVP crowd.

Deadlands - A wonderful and fanciful wild west Victorian age western/horror/quasi-science adventure with unlimited potential in all MMO areas, especially with a Colt 45. Heroes and villians from history abound. Native Americans get back some of their own.

• sirphobossirphobos Member UncommonPosts: 620

Dragon Warrior / Dragon Quest.  Who wouldn't want to slaughter Slimes in an MMO?

• MarLMarL Member UncommonPosts: 606

ET the game that killed atari can maybe kill off WoW clones?

Own, Mine, Defend, Attack, 24/7

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

Paranoia

Harn

Traveller / Traveller 2300

Twilight 2000

Darklands

Birthright (AD&D setting)

Car Wars

OGRE

Call of Cthulhu

In Nomine

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• futnatusfutnatus Member Posts: 193

For those already asking for it,

Vampire: The Masquerade IP is already being made into an MMORPG.  The hype is minimal as there is little feedback from the actual development team but the fan reaction so far has extremely positive.  Apparently it'll be a very good game... in 2013? Or so.

• eyeswideopeneyeswideopen Member Posts: 2,414

Originally posted by futnatus

For those already asking for it,

Vampire: The Masquerade IP is already being made into an MMORPG.  The hype is minimal as there is little feedback from the actual development team but the fan reaction so far has extremely positive.  Apparently it'll be a very good game... in 2013? Or so.

I imagine there will be more info released in about 2 weeks at The Grand Masquerade , since that's where CCP unveiled the game last year..

http://thegrandmasquerade.eventbrite.com/

http://www.thegrandmasquerade.com/

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-
    -And on the 8th day, man created God.-

• PaybackXeroPaybackXero Member Posts: 33

Originally posted by Skymourne

Originally posted by ruonim

absolutely spot on. 

Fallout 3 and New Vegas beat Fallout 1 and 2, hands down, imo. Of course, they're different types of games. I much prefer a first person point of view. 3rd person would be my second choice, but I can't stand top down or ismoetric views. Way too painful and clunck to play. Also, I hate point and click, so there's that. I do appreciate the range of options and world included in 1 and 2 though. Probably the only thing I thought was better.

Edit: I also think Bethesda is pretty much infallible, so I'm super biased there. Sort of like I am with anything Star Wars.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Rohn
    Paranoia
    Harn
    Traveller / Traveller 2300
    Twilight 2000
    Darklands
    Birthright (AD&D setting)
    Car Wars
    OGRE
    Call of Cthulhu
    In Nomine

I second the Call of Cthulhu.

Also, there is a Fallout 2 mod that is an MMO - Fallout 2028. You have to buy Fallout 2 and then load the mod and you're good to go. Or maybe not...the game is actually hard so dying is easy. :-)

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• Cpt_PicardCpt_Picard Member Posts: 300
    Odd one, Crimson Skies. Perhaps have an open sand box with "GUILDS" based arou.d their clan zeppelin. Could be interesting.

Make it so...

• LisXiaLisXia Member Posts: 390

Battletech, mechs, LAMs.  Woot.  A full universe, with jumpships, dropships, infanty, tanks.  Repair, field salvage.  Gov't, factions (5 at least), clans, mercenaries, bandits.  A rich world of lore and action, politics, intrigue.

I will drop all elves and dwarves, if only someone make a game in which I can relive the battletech universe.  I mean the entire universe, not just mechs duelling.

• RuinalRuinal Member Posts: 195

Originally posted by LisXia

Battletech, mechs, LAMs.  Woot.  A full universe, with jumpships, dropships, infanty, tanks.  Repair, field salvage.  Gov't, factions (5 at least), clans, mercenaries, bandits.  A rich world of lore and action, politics, intrigue.

I will drop all elves and dwarves, if only someone make a game in which I can relive the battletech universe.  I mean the entire universe, not just mechs duelling.

That would pretty much be my vision of a perfect, if not *the* perfect mmo. I wouldn't mind a MechCommander version either, a kindof rts/mmo hybrid with planetary conquest and all that jazz ;)

I'm eagerly looking forward to more info on CCP's World of Darkness. Done right, that one could be awesome.

Shadowrun... that is an IP which is severely underutilised. Microsoft royally screwed over the fans when they picked up that IP, shat on it, then buried it in a deep hole god-knows-where. Come to think of it, didn't they do that with the Battletech IP as well, but at least that one is now out of their hands I believe... though the latest Mechwarrior game seems to have vanished into development hell.