Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dragon Age is 11.95 at D2D. is it worth it ?

RedcorRedcor Member Posts: 426

Was thinking about getting this now that its cheap. All the bad reveiws kept me away as I was a big fan of Origins. It it worth 12 bucks ? and mods or patches make it better or is it just not worth playing at all ?

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can
be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard

Comments

• RedcorRedcor Member Posts: 426

Dragon age 2 that is.

-Robert E. Howard

• SulaaSulaa Member UncommonPosts: 1,329

There should be demo floating the net still.

But well imho it is NOT worth it , well unless you like ALOT of mindless and repetetive filler combat that is. If you like then you might like it.

Anyway very diffrent from Dragon Age: Origins imo , simpler , less depth , more action and combat oriented + oversized swords and ridiculous combat animations , sometimes like from anime.

• EladiEladi Member UncommonPosts: 1,145

The "bad" reviews are a comparisom to DA1,Da2 is less good but on its onw its still a hell of a game (as in good)  its worth it.

Story is good as ever, Less option for your character as you play a defined hero now instead of a random hero you create. 

Plenty of replay and diferent story's whit companions.

Ending is kinda meh but fair enough.

Combat is fine, Its not great but just fine, Combat aint realy the focus of this game the story is.

$12 aint much for any game.. you can buy a whole shit list of crapy games that are more expencive.

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

Yes it is worth it. As the previous poster mentioned people compare it to Dragon Age 1 which was a better game, but if it had never been released this one would likely have been rated higher than it is.

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

Dragon age 2 is one of those 3rd person view adventure games that has you fighting waves and waves of enemies in similar looking environments over and over.

Honestly I wouldnt pay more than 9.99 for that experience.

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

Originally posted by Z3R01

Dragon age 2 is one of those 3rd person view adventure games that has you fighting waves and waves of enemies in similar looking environments over and over.

serious ? you would wait for $2 reduction ? :P

anyway, you're correct in saying the zones look alike at times, caves for instance are always the same, one of the bigger flaws. but other then that..its a single island you play the story on, so yea..it aint going tohave alot of diferent environments, and a large part of the story plays out in the city and the few surounding zones.

as I said its more about the story how you (the hero) become the legend of that island/city and made your choises depending what side you favor and your companion choices.

I had fun playing it, and it was worth it for me .. thats all there is to it.

Thanx guys. I just saw that the Witcher 2 is also discounted to 29.00 is that a better game and deal ?

-Robert E. Howard

Originally posted by Redcor

Thanx guys. I just saw that the Witcher 2 is also discounted to 29.00 is that a better game and deal ?

I played it a little and trew it away.. some swear its a great game, I find it a buggy shitty game :P .. in the end only you can desite but i would go for DA2 :P

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

I wouldn't waste my money on it :(

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

The Witcher 2 is a way better game IMO...  And there is an awesome update coming to it at the end of Sept.  Basically 2.0 that sounds incredible:

• It will have a new tutorial system

• New difficulty setting: Dark mode, which comes with a new range of 'Dark' items

• A new game mode: Arena game mode

• Contains all the previous updates

• Contains all the DLC packs

• Free for those already owning the game

• Available on September the 29th

Also if you look around, you can get it for $25 on eBay

• ShmawShmaw Member Posts: 85

DA2 was definately mediocre in this man's humble opinion, it didn't hold a candle to origins.  It felt rushed, however I still enjoyed it (despite its obvious flaws).  Now the witcher 2?  I cannot say how much I loved that game.  It was truly amazing, a few bugs that were fixed shortly after its release.  Definately get the witcher, you won't regret it.

• KilmarKilmar Member UncommonPosts: 844

Dragon Age 1 was crap compared with older Bioware products (Baldur's Gate & friends). Didnt buy DA2.

Witcher 1&2 are great, but they're pretty railroaded.

• RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444

Even if you don't compare it to DA:O.  IMHO DA2 is sorely lacking in many departments. Here are just a few:

• The story is flawed.

• The game world is static.  Events are supposed to transpire over the course of 10 years.  You'd be hard pressed to tell year 1 from 7. As there is actually only 7 years to story. (You'll probably see the other 3 years in DLC's)

• The repetitive environments.

• The illusion of Choice.  The choices you make in this game in the end mean absolutely nothing.

• The lack of strategy. The combat requires almost no thought or effort from the player.

• The game ignores it's own lore.

Game does have some bright spots, but they are few compared to the things wrong with the game.  Like party chatter which can be quite amusing. Some of the quest you do for your companions can also be quite entertaining. Having the story narrated by one of your companions was (imho) a very good idea.

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

• WiezardWiezard Member Posts: 158

Go for it. Worth every penny. Also Witcher 2 is better or not is matter of tatse. Both games are heavily focused on story so linear gameplay. Don't expect it to be wander wherever you can like Fallout and Oblivion.

However i would take DA over Witcher 2 any day.

Are there any mods for DA2 that imrove or make it more like origins ?

-Robert E. Howard

• Xero_ChanceXero_Chance Member Posts: 519

DA2 is definitely worth playing.

It's up to you to decide if it's worth buying though.

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

Nope, though they did try to change the combat a little with the latest DLC and failed again with a host bugs plaguing it.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

Are there any mods for DA2 that imrove or make it more like origins ?

The problem is not the gameplay itsefl, its the content and some other core mechanics like the inventory and equipment.

Thanx again gang. I think i'll risk 12 and go for DA2 and grab W2 on ebay for the new 2.0. thanx for the advice and links.

-Robert E. Howard

Originally posted by Eladi

Originally posted by Z3R01

serious ? you would wait for $2 reduction ? :P

anyway, you're correct in saying the zones look alike at times, caves for instance are always the same, one of the bigger flaws. but other then that..its a single island you play the story on, so yea..it aint going tohave alot of diferent environments, and a large part of the story plays out in the city and the few surounding zones.

as I said its more about the story how you (the hero) become the legend of that island/city and made your choises depending what side you favor and your companion choices.

I had fun playing it, and it was worth it for me .. thats all there is to it.

I got mine as a gift from my wife, If i had to choose to buy it after playing the demo i would have waited until it was bundled in one of those super cheap steam bioware packs.

Honestly They should pay me to play that shit. I hate games that just toss more and more enemies at you.

Might as well take away the story and just put a big score at the top corner of the screen where i get to compete against others on a leaderboard... Thats how shallow games like that feel to me.

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

Was thinking about getting this now that its cheap. All the bad reveiws kept me away as I was a big fan of Origins. It it worth 12 bucks ? and mods or patches make it better or is it just not worth playing at all ?

I stayed away from DA2 also because I heard too much bad about it, but then a friend of mine convinced me that I'd like at least enough the game to not feel like I wasted money, and I'm glad that I bought it, it's a great RPG.

Biggest flaws imo in it is the lack of real map replaced with some odd stylized "arcade" movement -uh- board thingy? And sometimes you feel like you are about to say something but after the choise you say something totally unexpected, and some NPC reactions are a bit odd/annoying sometimes, more than ever in Bioware products, but overall it's very good imo. I dont mind the game using a lot of same locations since the whole idea kind of is to live a period of Hawke's life in a certain part of the DA world.

Witcher 2 could be, and propably is according to magazines etc better game but I never tried the Witcher games at all just because I cant create my own character in it, and that's very important to me in RPG's, if that is not an issue the game should be something to really look into.

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533

Im not a fan of Dragon Age Origins, but many think its a pretty good game.  I didnt think it was bad, I was just never able to complete it because eventually I got bored.  

If you're a fan of D&D, Baldurs Gate, Neverwinter Nighs, or any of that good stuff, you'll find things to appreciate with Dragons Age.  I love all those things too, but for some reason, I just ran out of steam every time I tried to finish Dragon Age.  Its the only game I can remember not completing in a very long time. 

For 12 bucks, Id say its a fine buy indeed. 

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914

There is a reason its 12.00 $ already ...................

THe Witcher 2 is 24.95 on D2D right now.

I would buy that instead.

its ten times the game tbh.

• miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156

DA1 >>>>> DA2