Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TERA at Gamescom 2011

KumaponKumapon Member EpicPosts: 1,556

I can't beleive nobody has posted any news about what is going on about TERA over at Gamescom. 

Anyways for those that are interested Frogster will be at the show representing TERA at Gamescom. Frogster will have live streaming/announcements of the event on their Facebook page.

(You need a Facebook account to watch it)

http://www.facebook.com/FrogCast?sk=app_128953167177144

They have also posted videos on their youtube page (unfortunetly they are all in German, so anyone that can translate German I would be grateful.)

http://www.youtube.com/user/FrogCastTV

Now for some juicy news, Curse has gone over to Gamescom and today had an exclusive interview with both Stefan Ramirez and Chris Hager. 

Curse posted the interview on their Tera Fans site. 

http://www.terafans.com/news/307-tera-at-gamescom-2011/

This year at Gamescom in Cologne, Germany, both En Masse Entertainment and Frogster Interactive were showing TERA to the European public. In addition to featuring TERA's action combat, the main focus was on a few details surrounding the nature of the Argons and the cross-server invasion system.

During the press demo, Stefan Ramirez and Chris Hager described the cross-server invasion system as an end-game activity allowing players from separate servers to come together and fight amongst each other in a unique way. They stated that there will be both a PvE and PvP component and that more details will be announced later.

The press demo itself was an attack on an Argon stronghold called the "Necromancer's Cell". Prior to the demo, Argons were characterized as chaotic and mysterious "metallic monstrosities" who use a mixture of magic and technology. They reanimate fallen Valkyon Federation heroes, turning them into undead soldiers. In the scenario for the demo, a group of Argons under the leader Kaidu were plotting to attack Allemantheia and had to be stopped before damage could be done.

Following the demo, a Curse colleague asked both Stefan and Chager a few questions on TERA Fan's behalf. Check out the interview below.

Curse: What's new and exciting at Gamescom?

Stefan Ramirez: We revealed the Argon race in some more detail. They will effect players in the end game. We also touched on future development, things like server invasions, that are coming and are on the road map for TERA's future.

Curse: During the E3 press presentation, the possibility of a jailing system as part of the political system was announced. Can you talk in more detail about that?

Chris Hager: This is a cool feature the dev team had always worked on, kind of like the extension of the power of influence of the Vanarch. They worked on it a lot and as of yet they have not been able to make a solution that is rewarding to both the jailer and the jailee. As a Vanarch I have the power to put someone in jail but as someone put in jail it needs to be engaging in some way as well. We can't let players punish other players without some form of retribution. As of yet the development team has not been able to find that balance. It is not in the game as of right now.

Curse: Is this a feature you're still confident is going to make it in and you just want to make sure it's right before implementing it?

Chris Hager: It's one of those things where we would like to put it in but we can't put it in until it's balanced correctly. If it hits the chopping block because we can't find a way to balance it then I would rather take the feature out than put an unbalanced feature in.

Curse: For both the North American and European regions there's a lot of Westernization being done. Aside from language, how do the regions differ in terms of localization?

Stefan Ramirez: It's hard to speak to the European side of things. Our [En Masse's] focus has been on North America so as far as North America goes we have a renowned team of writers who are working on the game and developing this story line with the BHS writers. It's a very Western story, it's deep, and rich, and fulfilling. From there, Europe gets the same story. The over-arching story doesn't change between NA and EU.

Curse: The Elin changes are a popular topic in the community. How are they coming along?

Chris Hager: The Elin race is made up essentially of timeless goddesses in the likeness of the goddess Elinu. When we looked at the models we didn't feel like they were timeless. It didn't feel like they were beings who had been around for thousands of years. We had a bunch of internal discussions and the resulting change is very small.

I will say it has been developed, we're just waiting to sign off on it. I think everybody will be really pleased with the changes, or lack of changes, I guess. I've seen them myself both in the client and in screenshots and if you had not known about the Elin before versus after, you would never be able to tell there was a change. I think even players who know about the Elin would be hard pressed to find the changes. I think overall everyone will be pretty happy with these minimal changes.

Curse: The TERA Gamescom trailer features some massive dragons and a vengeful Mystic. What was the inspiration for this trailer?

Stefan Ramirez: It's basically the second part of a trilogy of videos, the first one being the one seen at E3 and it's kind of carried on with this heroine. The first one gives you the story of desperation. The second video adds hope as well. It's an emotional piece that was kind of showing you how big that threat is and the reason for banding together to form this federation.

Chris Hager: It also kind of beckons to our presentation on depth in terms of the story. Every player plays a game A) because it seems cool, but you play all the way through a game because it has a compelling story line that kind of sucks you in. It makes you feel like you're part of the action and part of the story and that you relate to the characters in the story. That's what we've tried to make here: an emotional piece where you can kind of put yourself in those shoes and where you can understand what it would feel like to face this field of enemies but then to have your crew and your friends at your back, knowing that you're fighting for the right cause. Getting that perspective we think helps tell a really good story of what TERA is.

Stefan Ramirez: We're very proud of the video itself. It's not CG, it's all made with the in-game engine. This is what you would see in the game.

Curse: Just a final question that Amira didn't ask, but in relation to the cross-server PvP: are there going to be any limitations to entry on that? Is it something that I can initiate myself and go do or do you have to have a guild or a certain number of people?

Chris Hager: Players should look at it as another element of TERA's end-game. The closer we get to launch the more we're going to start revealing details. We gotta hold a couple things back! But in revealing cross-server invasions we wanted to get players to see we're thinking of other things as well. It's still in the early developmental stages so there are still details we need to work out within the game as far as how this is going to function, what it is going to look like. We're going to release more details later.

Also they showed the new TERA Gamescom Video 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukx_imsPLx8&feature=player_embedded

I'll post more info when it comes!

Comments

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314

Originally posted by Kumapon

It's a very Western story, it's deep, and rich, and fulfilling.

Oh no, I can't bare to find out what they did to it.

• kartanakartana Member UncommonPosts: 148

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qk92L4kSqdk&feature=feedu

Interesting TERA video from Gamescom!

• KumaponKumapon Member EpicPosts: 1,556

Originally posted by kartana

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qk92L4kSqdk&feature=feedu

Interesting TERA video from Gamescom!

That was a funny video, why is he calling Popori's, Beavers...lol

I did notice while watching that video that this was the old original Korean build. You can tell by watching the clunky UI (the UI was made for a controller) and there was no elite mobs in the starter area.  The newest build has changed the UI and there are elite mobs in the starter area. 

I sure hope we don't get this old build for the western version. 

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

Very funny video and very nice video. I think most people will be just like this guy and be suprised at how good Tera is when they finally get a chance to play it. 

• kompleksakikompleksaki Member Posts: 81

Originally posted by Mannish

Very funny video and very nice video. I think most people will be just like this guy and be suprised at how good Tera is when they finally get a chance to play it. 

This guy wasn't just a guy...It's Total Buscuit !! Hilarious commentary with all the beaver rambling.lolol

Originally posted by kompleksaki

Originally posted by Mannish

This guy wasn't just a guy...It's Total Buscuit !! Hilarious commentary with all the beaver rambling.lolol

He had me LMAO, especially at the character selection.

So this game is PEGI 12, what now?

• OtakunOtakun Member UncommonPosts: 874

People will get bored of the combat after like 5 hours. It's nice at first but it get boring quickly.

Are you playing? I dont think people will get bored of the combat. I play Dragon Nest and I love the hell out of the combat. I just wish Dragon Nest was open world like Tera. Afther playing Dragon Nest I know for sure that this is the type of combat I want in my mmos. Just like the guy said this is what combat is supposed to be like . Standing in 1 spot pressing number keys is just lame and outdated.

Personally I don't know how this could be PEGI 12, unless they are westerninzing the crap out of it. 

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b351/rainestorm/tera04.jpg

• Originally posted by Kumapon
    Personally I don't know how this could be PEGI 12, unless they are westerninzing the crap out of it.

Not surprised about pegi 12, here in Europe (but Sweden) is pretty normal (no matter what kind of pants, bikini or shape you have if the important parts are fully covered and the media is fictional arts), on the other hand in Us, known land of bigots and histerical fanatic puritans, they have the 17+ mark. :D

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Tera
    Blade n Soul
    Phantasy Star Online 2

These three are going to be the future of action mmos. I cant wait to get my hands on them!

Stephan Ramirez  (Associate Producer/EME)  gives a walkthough of Necromancer Cell Stronghold on GT.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/gc-11-tera/719686

I wonder, are action MMOs the death of botting and multiboxing?

• bygeorgebygeorge Member UncommonPosts: 104

Originally posted by birdycephon

Maybe multiboxing, but bots work perfectly fine.

Originally posted by birdycephon

Hangame doesn't like multiboxing but I have seen lots do it on K-Tera. As for bots, they are everywhere...lol