Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So.. What happened to Tera?

2»

Comments

• mmorpgbrommorpgbro Member Posts: 77

Originally posted by sonoggi

TERA wont really have a reason to exist once GW2 is out. theyre pretty much the same games except GW2 is better in every way. moving the release to 2012 basically nullified the game.

Allow me to differ.

GW2 doesn't have twtich combat (just a 123 tab targetting with a dodge button), or politics, or clan wars.

GW2 lacks all of the sandbox elements that Tera will have.

Ahh wait, it was another "when GW2 releases all mmorpgs are gonna die" lol wake up, not everyone enjoys casual mmorpgs, some players need sandbox elements and open world pvp.

We could say that the target audience of GW2 is moslty casual players and people burned of playing so many wow clones.

While Tera is targeting to a niche audience (or maybe not so niche) that wants sandbox elements and PVP with consecuences, something that mmorpgs lack nowdays.

I say live and let live, some enjoy mainstream mmos, others like games with more "risk" depth and features.

Tera is the first attempt at a themepark/sanbox hybrid since Vanguard, players burned of 100% themeparks are gonna get bored of another 100% themepark, even if it has a different quest system.

It lost a couple of subs in Korea because it was a themepark/sandbox hybrid without the sandbox part.

• Honeymoon69Honeymoon69 Member Posts: 647

TERA wont really have a reason to exist once GW2 is out. theyre pretty much the same games except GW2 is better in every way. moving the release to 2012 basically nullified the game.

+1 no point to play Tera when we got GW2 for free.
  • ChilliesauceChilliesauce Member Posts: 559

Here we go again. No wonder GW2 fans piss everyone off these days with silly statements. No matter which gaming forum you visit  their is always one GW2 fan posting fanboyish posts. Even though my interest in Tera has faded, i can assure you that they are not pretty much the same games. A little bit of effort on your part will make it clear to you that they are very different games.

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

Originally posted by Chilliesauce

Here we go again. No wonder GW2 fans piss everyone off these days with silly statements. No matter which gaming forum you visit  their is always one GW2 fan posting fanboyish posts. Even though my interest in Tera has faded, i can assure you that they are not pretty much the same games. A little bit of effort on your part will make it clear to you that they are very different games.

Tell me about it.  I'm going to find it really difficult to stick to playing GW2 if I have to put up with all the fanboys.  Of course, in just about any game that isn't WoW, you have to deal with throngs of people that take it as a personal insult when you bash the game they're playing.

Originally posted by SuperXero89

Tell me about it.  I'm going to find it really difficult to stick to playing GW2 if I have to put up with all the fanboys.  Of course, in just about any game that isn't WoW, you have to deal with throngs of people that take it as a personal insult when you bash the game they're playing.

I agree. It is silly really that anyone would even claim that GW2 and Tera are pretty much same.  I am really looking forward to GW2 but i am afraid that community of GW2 is going to be worse than WOW not that GW1 community was any better.

Originally posted by Alot

{mod edit}

{mod edit}

Back on topic so could you please tell me how GW2 and TERA are the same games? how is this trollbaiting unless you believe what sonoggi said.

• SereliskSerelisk Member Posts: 836

Personally, I didn't get that interested in it. Information is relatively difficult to find for it since En Masse doesn't do a great job of putting it out there.

I'm slightly interested in the political system. The art style doesn't appeal to me, but I can see myself getting passed that(I reeeeaaaallllyyyyyy hate the terrain aesthetics though). The combat is what's really exciting a lot of people, including me. However, that was quickly offset by the types of quests I watched getting completed in the youtube videos for the Korean version. It looked very generic in it's progression content. Boss fights look fun because of the combat system. I don't know a lot about it's other features like travel, custimization, economy, crafting, mini-games? World content, PvP, dungeon content, achievements, etc.

Overall, I haven't dismissed the game and will keep an eye on it, but I'm not mega hyped at the moment.

p.s. I definitely wouldn't say this game is the same as Guild Wars 2. Not design philosophy, not in game content, not in art style. TERA is it's own MMO with a complete rehaul of one of the, now, 4 pillars of MMOG's.

• cribettcribett Member UncommonPosts: 135

Flopped a bit in Korea lack of content etc, hence the massive delay for us to get more content and the new level cap all translated .Im still kinda hyped for the game main reason being the combat system sick to death of tab target skill spam it needs changing.

• aquafusiondnaquafusiondn Member Posts: 27

This threat caught my eyes and I want to made a few two cents on this. One of the poster said about "Asian-styled", I believe he is looking for a word "Eastern-based". Believe it or not, TERA is Eastern-based game with Western element in it. There is a few thing why I made this comment. My first mmo I played is Conquer Online by TQ Digital, not sure all of you know that game. That game is very heavy Eastern-based. I played that game for like a year until I move on to different free eastern-based game until I get in Wow in 2004. let say Im spoiled with Western-based mmo and really love it. One huge noticeable difference between Eastern-based and Western-based is the interface. If you compare the TERA and WoW or WAR, the User Interface is huge difference. WoW and WAR is very polished looking, the fonts is very fitting to the style of the game. Now on TERA, of course, TERA look amazing, it have great gameplay and I can see many Western element in it but still feel it is Eastern because it still following the Eastern User Interfaces. One thing I noticed that is common for all Eastern-based mmo is that the majority of Eastern mmo is using the same fonts, same interface, not a lot of artworks that fitting for the game. It felt like they are using a "RPGMaker 2000"-based MMO programming that only provide one temeplate. And slab a couple of minor artwork but the result still look the same as other Eastern mmo.

This is why I feel TERA is the Eastern game. this week and last week, I played Aika Online and can't help to feel that it feel too Eastern because of the looks. The animation look different and polished and among few things. But common problems for Eastern-based mmo is that they don't really stand apart from other Eastern-based game because they all are using the common user interface. I want to enjoy Aika Online but I still can't get past the Eastern-based interfaces. I can stand the endless grinding and cash shop (even I don't use them).

Common for Western people (inculding Europeans) first impression is the interface. If the interface look fitting to the lore of the game, and can stand apart from other game, it will appeal to them. This is one of the main reason why Western don't play Eastern because the un-polished feel in Eastern game. I watched the gameplay of TERA and it still using the Eastern style of interface. If TERA devs have the ability to make it look Western like the gameplay, the artworks, then they should do something with the interface to make it stand apart from other game. Look at any well known Western mmo, they all have interface that look different and can stand out like WoW, WAR, Hellgate, Star Trek Online, City of Heroes, LOTRO

• Home15Home15 Member Posts: 203

A bit of evrything to be honest.

Intrest faded

kotro comming

Tthey changed the elin race to wear more pants.

Taking to long to get published.

Lack of PR and communication

Its a mixed bag.

• KumaponKumapon Member EpicPosts: 1,563

What happened to Tera ?

It was released in a unfinished state like FFXIV back in January in Korea. Most Koreans played it, laughed at it and went back to Aion. Now the Korean playing pop hangs around 80-100k. 

BHS has tried to fix the game, but when you realse a game in such a bad state, you are always behind the 8 ball. BHS still has major leagal trouble with NCsoft as they don't have the funds to pay off the lawsuit. With the small game population they have, they are not making much money. Probably why the lead Dev/funder left, and he was facing jail time for not paying the lawsuit. 

Things might be looking up with Japan release as lots have purchaced the game. So maybe BHS might get the desperate funding to pay off NCsoft and start doing major fixes.  Time will tell. 

As for EME/Frogster ? 

Who knows they seem to be completely in the dark on alot of info. Most of the EME staff don't even know their own game. Leaving the comunity managers out to lunch many times.  Probably why 2 comunity managers have quit in the last 6 months. 

Again things could turn around with Japan Tera, bringing in the much needed funding. If not this game could be vaporware in 2-3 years. 

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

They pushed it back too much so people lost interest and looked at other upcoming MMORPGs.

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314

Originally posted by Yamota

They pushed it back too much so people lost interest and looked at other upcoming MMORPGs.

It seems like the more they try, the more they fail. IMO, they are way too ambitious with all the changes.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Other:  Heard about it for a while, but it never happened, and then stopped hearing about it.

So is this going to release in the West or not?

Is there anything to get excited about?

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • BlaadBlaad Member Posts: 64

For me, it was the delayed release that caused me to lose interest.  I have been around long enough to know when a game is coming along on schedule.  I am not willing to let myself get into a cycle of getting excited and then let down when the the launch date is pushed back.  I just write these games off as a waste of time and move on.  The "when its done" attitude has gotten old and in an industry as competitive as MMOs its really not necessary to tolerate.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

I dunno, people were pretty hyped about the game last year.

But I guess they decided to wait with the marketing until a month or 2 before the release. Or the air went out of the hype because the game did so badly in south Korea (not neccesarily a bad thing, Aion & Lineage 2 did great there and not so great in the west).

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

To me it seems the genericness is killing the hype, also in Korea. Combat might be new and fresh but that only lasts so many kills: eventually the dodging, kiting and circle strafing becomes a routine and just as boring as normal, targetted combat (maybe even more boring because each mob takes so long). It needs to offer more than eyecandy and twitch based pve.

• AvatarBladeAvatarBlade Member UncommonPosts: 757

From my (limited) knowledge about this game, it got released with too little content in Korea and suffered there, so this huge delay came which made people focus on other titles. The lead and team got changed due to investor pressure tho and it seems that it was recently released in Japan where it got good reactions and I guess they want to have enen more content for the western release. Probably on a wait and see status for most people.

• RazephonRazephon Member UncommonPosts: 628

Tbh, it doesnt matter if people are not hyped right now. This game still has at least 8 - 12 months till launch in the West.

My main concern is that they get the funding to continue development on it. Hopefully they means they'll release a little earlier in the west, but still. 

If all content up to level 60 is not delivered at Western launch, then they may as well kiss their profit margin goodbye.

Sure there are a fair amount of rabid fanbois, people who dont know about it, people who are simply taken away by the visuals.

Conversely there are people who are predjudice against Korean games, hate 'asian artstyle', disappointed by constant delays.

So EME really need to have a rock solid release in the west for this game to survive. 

Chances are by the time it comes out - 

GW2 will be out, First Expansion/DLC is announced 

SWTOR will be out, First expansion is near release or released

Other games like TSW will have just hit the market in April

So has much changed from releasing it now? nope. Infact I would say its an even worse market to go into. But the fact is they are delivering a much more complete product, meaning Tera will be able to stand on its two feet at least and not get demolished.

As for J-Tera? Sure it launched, but people are already near/hitting max level. I give it 2-3 months without updates till they get bored. Lets just hope the next update, which should happen...comes out.

Currently waiting for the MMO industry to put out something good.
  • FearGXFearGX Member Posts: 317

Originally posted by DarkPony

To me it seems the genericness is killing the hype, also in Korea. Combat might be new and fresh but that only lasts so many kills: eventually the dodging, kiting and circle strafing becomes a routine and just as boring as normal, targetted combat (maybe even more boring because each mob takes so long). It needs to offer more than eyecandy and twitch based pve.

So eyecandy twitch based PvE which by the way from what I have seen looks far more superior then any game I have seen before and is way better then the standard slash / cast animation from current games like WoW, Aion, Rift and even SWTOR and you're saying it needs to offer more then that?

:/

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

I was also so hyped on this game, but something about it seemed disturbing. Then i figured it out:  there are no character animations to sidestep and walking backwards. WTF?!

Your toon rather does an instant turn and again does the forward walking animation in whichever direction you move it. Together with the constant movement due to the target system this looks all but too goofy.

TERA has about the prettiest animations allover and they put so much effort in. Why is there proper movement missing? These guys can't be serious.