Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gliders... free flight is in from launch?

VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Just watched this vid...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuFrNvI2-sg

...and felt a little stunned when I saw those gliders go off the edge.

and,oh, yeah, the city is awesome, though I am just confused about the cute girl on a phone thing :p

Comments

• YuuiYuui Member UncommonPosts: 723

The cute girl is iphone app that works as sort of "personal assistant". You can chat with people inside the game from your iphone, manage some minor stuff in your estate/character/etc, look up character informations and look at what your friends are doing in game right now.

It will most likely look different in Western part of the world. no "maids".

# A GRIM, ODD, ARCANE SKY
    # ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

• KharmedKharmed Member Posts: 101

Originally posted by Yuui

It will most likely look different in Western part of the world. no "maids".

What do we get instead...a fat dwarf?

The maid was the whole purpose of actually using that app :)

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Oh dear ... what's with that korean french maid on a smart phone at the end, hahaha?

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

ArchAge definitely seems to bring a few of it's own things to the table which is good to see. The gliders remind me of the one in Nausicaa: Of the Valley of the Wind, in fact. I've always thought a wind-dynamic would be the best way to implement flying in a limited (non-trivial) and potentially v skilful (as well as dangerous) way? Although, a "divine wind" of players attacking that castle would be a weird sight to beyold.

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

Iam getting very curious about Arch, the more i see the more curious i am about it.

GW2 and Arch are looking to good to be true ^^

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

I kept thinking how good are those defensive walls when you can just fly over them?

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904

Originally posted by waynejr2

I kept thinking how good are those defensive walls when you can just fly over them?

I take it the flying ship they jumped out of isn't built that easily. I can imagine a guild making the ship, from which they jump into enemy territory. Once inside the only way they can get out again is by overtaking the place or getting slaughtered.

I'm going with slaughtered :D

• YuuiYuui Member UncommonPosts: 723

Originally posted by nblitz

Originally posted by waynejr2

I take it the flying ship they jumped out of isn't built that easily. I can imagine a guild making the ship, from which they jump into enemy territory. Once inside the only way they can get out again is by overtaking the place or getting slaughtered.
    I'm going with slaughtered :D

Also as I said, game has ranged artillery like cannons and stuff. There's a chance that the guys will get blown to hell and back before even jumping out of the ship.

# A GRIM, ODD, ARCANE SKY
    # ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

• TechleoTechleo Member Posts: 1,984

Not to mention if Airships are player made, which I suspect they arent, you can map routes to avoid. Placing castles on high ground avoids the possiblity of mountain jumps. Place castles in the plains helps since your likely out of range of hills. Artillery is a possible factor. I really cant wait to see more details. 

• whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472

The glider was pretty cool. and i liked the building the castle a lot.  The Iphone thing i can pass on though. Hope that isn't required to play..cause that would suck for me.

Regardless nice video.

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

sweet!

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

This game is looking interesting!

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• SulaaSulaa Member UncommonPosts: 1,329

I would guess gliders are a way to get from airship to ground and they have limited flying time (they just descent over time).

As for french maid(?) girl  in smartphone I would guess it is some kind of application targetted for Asian Markets.  Some kind of account menagment ?

• XebiozXebioz Member Posts: 19

According to the websites AAportal and archeage-online.com the zeppelin's or airships are world transportation and not ownable or flyable as it were. The gliders however are. It would be cool to have craftable airships but alas it looks like it is not included in the game, at least at launch.

• SulaaSulaa Member UncommonPosts: 1,329

Owning Airships might ruin other features of a game.

For example it could make siege engines, walls ,castles ,etc completly irrevelant as players would just take airship and then glide over fortifications in PvP.

While owning airship might sound like tempting idea , sometimes games have to have certain limits to make game coherrent and to not blow up other features.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Originally posted by Sulaa

Owning Airships might ruin other features of a game.

For example it could make siege engines, walls ,castles ,etc completly irrevelant as players would just take airship and then glide over fortifications in PvP.

I would actually assume that in a world with airships that fortifications would just have evolved with them. Walls obviously would still be part of that.

• ThomasBPGThomasBPG Member UncommonPosts: 86

just throw some quad .50's on top of the towers and it solves your blimp problem.

• Daimyo21Daimyo21 Member Posts: 66
    Gliders are great. They don't ruin the world travel and if you want to use you must climb high up so its a perfect balance
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536

They could just make it so how far you glide is in proportion to your characters weight.  If you're fully armored, you don't go very far.  That way you couldn't just have a fully decked out guild ready for battle glide into your city over your walls.