Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Land of the dead and forgoton MMOs *Graveyard MMOs*

eyceleycel Member Posts: 1,334

Simple and to point.  List of a few dead and forgoton mmos that were ready to make an impact on people but missed the spot.  What did you or didn't you like about it and why?

Comments

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Earthrise had a great concept and good hype prior to the release of the game, but the game that released wasn't anything like what the developer described. Most of the features weren't there and it was (and still is) plagued with bugs and performance issues.

Didn't really play any of the others, so I suppose it's possible that one of those other games was as functionally defective, but I'd doubt it.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• tussauctussauc Member UncommonPosts: 147

FFXIV and Earthrise are not dead, they may not be successful, but they aren't dead like the rest.

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

RIP Tabula Rasa

I miss that game.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Fury I never heard of.

Both Matrix and Tabula Rasa are on my "I'm sorry I missed it" list.  I have video of TR in beta and it looks so sweet.  There's no reason for Matrix to have died.  That IP was a perfect fit to make an MMO out of.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096

I think you forgot a few

Asherons Call 2

Auto Assault

Earth and Beyond

Shadowbane

and Im sure there are a few others Im missing

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• eyceleycel Member Posts: 1,334

Originally posted by PyrateLV

I think you forgot a few

Asherons Call 2

Auto Assault

Earth and Beyond

Shadowbane

and Im sure there are a few others Im missing

ya i was goin to add a few of those but I really didnt get into them as much as the others.

• itbewillyitbewilly Member UncommonPosts: 351

Technically All Points Bulletin should not be listed, Its still the same broken game it was before Gamersfirst turn it into a lame ass Pay to Win noobfest.

Everything about it aside from the $50-$60 dollar permant guns is still the same. Criminals are gimped vs LTL weapons still. Dumptruck noobs still destroy unsuspecting players.Mission balance is non-existant. Still get grouped as a R8 new player with only the mobile supply upgrade(forget its name you get as a rewards from one of the first contacts) against players R180+ full maxed out weapon/character upgrades.

APB.....Still not fixed and just a Pay to win piece of s*@t game now but alive :X

• AKASlaphappyAKASlaphappy Member UncommonPosts: 800

I miss Tabula Rasa I wish that game would have gone Freemium instead of being shutdown. 

• VolatileManVolatileMan Member Posts: 45

Well just to age myself, how about Meridian 59 and the orginal NeverwinterNights on AOL (not sure massive applied to that one :)  )

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

Let the nightmare awaken!

Dark & Light.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • NekkuroNekkuro Member Posts: 162

FFXIV Despite all the fanboys who will white knight it for no real reason...

However, I guess it's not fair to call it a "dead" mmo since Square is still trying to fix it.

So I guess you can say it's on life-support rather than already dead.

Still, unless they do a super-mega-ultra overhaul, it's as good as 6-feet-under.

• KorbyKorby Member Posts: 499

Change thread to favorite dead MMOS. :(

I think I like all the ones that died (that I played).

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

Earth & Beyond.

It had such potential, but unfortunately, EA succeeded in finally strangling the life out of Westwood studios and that was that.  Just another broken corpse in the tyrant's wake.

• sirphobossirphobos Member UncommonPosts: 620

Dead and no longer running MMO: Asheron's Call 2.  Nothing like the original and an overall bad game.

Not quite dead MMO: Horizons.  Anyone who has followed MMOs since the early days remembers when Horizons was first announced, a massively ambitious project that sounded like it was going to be absolutely amazing.  Then it changed developers, the main guy behind the game left, and what eventually came out was a giant turd that was nothing like what the game was originally described as.  Since then I think it's changed developers 3 or 4 times, one of which was basically using it as a giant scam and double charging subscriptions and making it impossible to cancel, and the name of the game has changed.  Probably the biggest fail MMO ever.

Originally posted by grunty

Dark & Light.

Lol i didnt even wana go there

Originally posted by sirphobos

Dead and no longer running MMO: Asheron's Call 2.  Nothing like the original and an overall bad game.

Not quite dead MMO: Horizons.  Anyone who has followed MMOs since the early days remembers when Horizons was first announced, a massively ambitious project that sounded like it was going to be absolutely amazing.  Then it changed developers, the main guy behind the game left, and what eventually came out was a giant turd that was nothing like what the game was originally described as.  Since then I think it's changed developers 3 or 4 times, one of which was basically using it as a giant scam and double charging subscriptions and making it impossible to cancel, and the name of the game has changed.  Probably the biggest fail MMO ever.

yah horizons came out around swg didnt it?  I almost decided on it instead of SWG, that would have been even worse the the NGE.

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

Dark and Light  

Horizons

Both games had huge ambitious design goals that really could have made an impact on game design had they come anywhere close to delivering any of it.  To bad they both came out the way they finally did.

• kakasakikakasaki Member UncommonPosts: 1,205

Originally posted by grunty

Dark & Light.

Ahhhhhhhhhh!!!! 

Please do not mention that name again!

DnL, truly the biggest fail MMO ever.

A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true...

• Skooma2Skooma2 Member UncommonPosts: 697

The only game I played was Chronicles of Spellborn.  It was a good game, but there were almost no players and I do not know why the publisher simply could not get it together.  The game had an original concept for skill use and was a lot of fun in the first zone.  I started a second zone and then the game went dark.  This game is the definition of "wasted potential."

Hedonismbot: Your latest performance was as delectable as dipping my bottom over and over into a bath of the silkiest oils and creams.

Originally posted by Skooma2

The only game I played was Chronicles of Spellborn.  It was a good game, but there were almost no players and I do not know why the publisher simply could not get it together.  The game had an original concept for skill use and was a lot of fun in the first zone.  I started a second zone and then the game went dark.  This game is the definition of "wasted potential."

You will laugh so hard when you see my review of it, here.  Thats been a good while ago, I loved that game although I didnt play it for very long and it was more powerfull then my older alienware I ran it on.  I remember always watching this trailer though before the game came out and it would always get me all excited.

• MW2KMW2K Member UncommonPosts: 1,036

Originally posted by Daffid011
    Dark and Light  
    Horizons

Both games had huge ambitious design goals that really could have made an impact on game design had they come anywhere close to delivering any of it.  To bad they both came out the way they finally did.

Horizons is still going IIRC, now as Istaria and with about 50 players.

• SmoeySmoey Member UncommonPosts: 599

Originally posted by DJJazzy

RIP Tabula Rasa

I miss that game.

My Tabula Rasa is still factory sealed :(

(\ /) ?
    ( . .)
    c('')('')

• RingsideRingside Member UncommonPosts: 249

Asheron's Call 2 R.I.P ... had SOOO much potential but Turbine had NO IDEA how to make it successful

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

Originally posted by minocin

Originally posted by DJJazzy

RIP Tabula Rasa

I miss that game.

My Tabula Rasa is still factory sealed :(

For some reason, this honestly makes me sad.  I didn't even care for TR, but the thought of the box sitting unopened and gathering dust somewhere, never once to be played, kind of puts a fine point on the untimely death of some of these games.  Lots of hopes and aspirations, players and developers alike, flushed down the toilet.

It's odd that this is one of the few things I can feel sentimental about.

• aquafusiondnaquafusiondn Member Posts: 27

Wow I forgot about Fury. That was like 2008. I heard great thing about the game, how the devs going to do it. I plan to play it one day when I get a better graphic card. But when it come to that, it already shut down. I am trying to find out why it shut down but all MMO news keep saying that it shutting down without any reason. Why did they shut down?

TR do have a great thing going but really drop the ball. Richard Garriott sued NCSoft for ruining the game. I wonder what the court decision on the lawsuit

The problems with devs and publishers is they are taking on "good enough" attitude that they felt that what they did is good enough. It is the huge example of what MMOs we are seeing. and another one is they are taking on too much work. NCSoft is one of the problem, they are creating too much mmo and some of them already failed. they should work on one mmo and get it to launch without any hiccup as possible. That will make it successful. The publishers should stop pushing devs around (looking at you, EA) and trying to release the game too soon. TR, WAR, STO and others is plagued with this problem and look where they are now? nonexistent or barely functioning. One thing I hope for devs to take on the MMO is to work together with the community or work with another devs and get the MMO right as they should be. Only one can dream!