Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pondering a return

free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043

I haven't played this game in years.

Captain Lv. 50 (cap at the time) on Landroval. Am I in for a shock?

Comments

• leojreimrocleojreimroc Member UncommonPosts: 371

If you haven't played through Moria yet, you will probably enjoy it.  Moria is probably my favorite zone, athough it does get old after an alt or two.  I don't think you'll be in for a shock, but it's still a good experience.

Plus you have the bonus now of not having to buy the entire Moria expansion, just the quests, which honestly is a huge bargain considering the large amount of content that you get.  You don't get the 2 extra classes if you just buy the Moria quest pack though.

• skullquakerskullquaker Member UncommonPosts: 311

i think now would be a good time to come  back . every one will be getting lvled so they can be ready for new exspansion  in sept thats what i will be doing  with my  49-50 toons

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043

No, there was no Moria. After 45 it was Angmar, then back to Misty mountain for end game. I killed hundreds of mammoths there in hopes of a Mammoth Hunter title. Never happened though. Jumped in on Fornost groups just because I remembered some 50's doing it for me when I was there and I remembered them being fun. I actually remember that most of all from LotRO. The community was very healthy and helpfull. Even Lonelands quests, I remember 50's jumping in to speed it up just because they happened to be there at the time.

• trancejeremytrancejeremy Member UncommonPosts: 1,222

Shock? No.

Mindnumbilng boring and painful grind? Yes.

The game was pretty good until Moria came out. Then things started to break down, in terms of mechanics.

Mobs had more and more health, and had annoying abilities to slow down combat to a crawl.

And legendary items. The worst thing ever in any MMORPG since the dawn of man. And I'm including past high tech civilizations that went under (Atlantis, and so forth), if they actually existed (probalby not).

R.I.P. City of Heroes and my 17 characters there

• TravisimoTravisimo Member Posts: 12

Doubtful. There haven't been any really jarring things released since you left, save for the new lands and systems which you should roll right into pretty smoothly, I imagine. 

Against what trance-jeremy says (which is always negative for this game)

there aren't any grind spots superior to what was there pre-MoM. Those grind spots have actually been mostly cleared over the different revamps Turbine has done, though some still exist (not as painfully, in my opinion, though).

Moria is very nice for the first or second character, but after that it begins getting somewhat tedious. Legendary items weren't designed as most expected, and took over the weaponry part of the game for the most part, but those have been improved a little, if not entirely. Guy above me is exaggerating extremely. 

Mirkwood was kinda small, but introduced Skirmishes, which are basically mini-battles you can join from any part of the world.

Since then, Volume III has begun, which included Enedwaith (think Wales in Middle-earth), and converting instances to be able to enter from anywhere in the world. 

Can't think of anything else major that you would need to know off-hand..

Concerning community, if you avoid OOC in Bree-land, F2P hasn't effected it much, from what I've noticed. Increase in bad RPers is noticeable, but that's it.

The only class I grinded to 50 was a Captain and I'm relearning him goofing around with greys. I did notice the overkill on some mob HP and abilities. There is a Lv. 35 boss kill I used to farm solo with little problem and he shit stomped me mostly with a stun he was rather fond of. I took an LFF appeal up for Lv. 20 GB run because I remember doing that and one guy didnt get all his wight kills, he needed two more. The group jumped out, screw him. Pre F2P that was simply unthinkable. 6 went in, everyone got thier quests. Nobody even considered it any other way. I'm thinking I will go to the new area above Evindim first, the Misty Mountain replica. They are paid for 3 months, I dont think I will have trouble finding that much fun there. Just solo and crafting I can play 3 months and enjoy it.

• Skooma2Skooma2 Member UncommonPosts: 697

If you go to Forochel, do not swim in the bay.  You've been warned.

Hedonismbot: Your latest performance was as delectable as dipping my bottom over and over into a bath of the silkiest oils and creams.

• TravisimoTravisimo Member Posts: 12

What he said^^

I'm unpleasantly surprised at your experience. I have not yet had anything like that occur... 

• quentin405quentin405 Member Posts: 468

I'm so sad. I purchased this game at release, quit soonafter.  Purchased it again much later, maybe 6 months before f2p, then tried playing after f2p conversion.  I want to so very badly make this my main game, and I cant understand why but I cannot get "hooked".  Ive pretty much hit max level and done end game in atleast 4/5 major mmo release since UO, and pretty much all of them I had some attachment / addiction thing going on with my main character.  Its so sad, because LOTRO is extremely high quality game, and very fun and deep, but I find myself having to "work" to advance instead of the entire night slipping by without me noticing it like other games have done to me.

Anyway, having said that I played at release, and at f2p I must say it is almost an entirely different experience, regardless of previous replies. Sure there is no "earth shattering" changes to the game but as far as polish and content goes its day / night.

Originally posted by Skooma2

If you go to Forochel, do not swim in the bay.  You've been warned.

1K dmg tics? Yep, I found out. I like that region though. It has a hunter feel to it with the tundra and the boreal forest settings. I suspect I will end up being there for a while just because its the only place I have found quests my level.

Last note, not related to F2P but I see gold is abundant. I went in with 750 silver, am up to 14 gold in 2 days. That's a maturity effect, not a whole lot Turbine can do about it. I dont even know if its a good thing or a bad thing. It's just one of those effects of time.