Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Joining in the "fun"!!!

Over the years I had only heard of Vanguard passivly, in ads or forums or whatnot. Never really gave it a chance as I was always involved heavily in some game or another.. Having read all the recent posts here and elsewhere about how awesome it is and the resurgance of activity, and seeing as I am not currently playing any MMOs. I am downloading vanguard and going to give it a try, I have been watching alot of videos and reading and it seems really cool, I dont know how I missed out on this in the past, but it sounds like it wasnt always so polished..

Anyways, my question / reason for posting is (other then boredom while I download) Do you think that with such a low population , even though it is gaining momentum it seems, there is any point in starting new, I would hate to start and fall in love with it only to find out it was gettnig shut down soon. Has there been any talk of shutting it down? Do they still patch / update it ?

And if anyone has any good tips for a complete beginner, let me know those too!

Thanks for reading :-)

Comments

• Vunak23Vunak23 Member UncommonPosts: 633

It got its last bug fix this on the 8th of this month. SoE promised to come out with two updates pretty soon. Vanguard really is a gem, I recently started playing myself. Just make sure you join the Telon server it is by far the more populated of the two. If you can find the class that is right for you, you will fall in love with the game if you like that older style feeling.

Join a guild though, dont try and solo your way through it really takes away from the game. There is a pretty good new player friendly guild called Twighlyte Song you could join when you get in game just hit the O button the guild tab and look em up. Just message one of there Recruitment officers for an invite.

EDIT:

SoE is shutting SWG down so there freeing up that development team for other things. I think the reasoning behind them promising two more updates for VG is directly influenced by SWG's shutting down. I think we will see some of the people from there come over to VG and EQ: Next. perhaps. All theory though.

"In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

• quentin405quentin405 Member Posts: 468

Ah good to hear. And thanks for the tip on server / guild. Cant wait to get in game :-)

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

Vunak23 covered most everything. 

Also, there are about 10 people that are coming here and bashing this game for years, they will try and convince you that this game is real bad because they can't get over the hate of a bad release several years ago, just ignore them.

Four fast hint's / suggestions, if you decide to stay :

1) Most make the town of Veskal's Exchange there home after you leave the trial Island.

2) You can get your mount at level 10 when you leave the trial Island. Just go to one of the major cities and ask a guard.

3) Start the Hunters League quest line at level 17. It will give you good equipment, to last you well into the game.

4) When doing the Trial Island.  You do not have to feel obligated to do the Harvesting, Crafting, Diplomacy part of the trial to get to max level of the Island UNTIL your sure of your class.  They are time consuming and nice but you can come back to them BEFORE YOU LEAVE THE TRIAL.  I say this because most play several classes on the Trial to find there best.  When you find your best class you can always go back and then put in the effort.  Just don't leave the Trial Island with out maxing them all out or you will be playing catch up in the real world.

• dazedconfusedazedconfuse Member Posts: 67
    Twilight Song is a new player oriented guild that doesn't get enough credit for what they have contributed to the vanguard resurgence. Make them your first stop. Low level groups aren't falling off trees, but they seem much more visible than months past. Good luck and welcome. I am confidant you will enjoy it.
  • AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

Originally posted by Vunak23

[...]

EDIT:

SoE is shutting SWG down so there freeing up that development team for other things. I think the reasoning behind them promising two more updates for VG is directly influenced by SWG's shutting down. I think we will see some of the people from there come over to VG and EQ: Next. perhaps. All theory though.

Thats a pretty common theory.

SOE not doing anyhting with Vanguard for 2 years and suddenly they do, now there has to be a reason for that.

• astoriaastoria Member UncommonPosts: 1,677

Look for Suul Averna in game, a friendly little goblin. Just resubbed.

"Never met a pack of humans that were any different. Look at the idiots that get elected every couple of years. You really consider those guys more mature than us? The only difference between us and them is, when they gank some noobs and take their stuff, the noobs actually die." - Madimorga

• pupurunpupurun Member UncommonPosts: 561

Originally posted by Adamantine

Originally posted by Vunak23

[...]

EDIT:

Thats a pretty common theory.

SOE not doing anyhting with Vanguard for 2 years and suddenly they do, now there has to be a reason for that.

Excuse me but when you say "freeing up that development team for other things" do you imply that SWG was being developed ? I mean there was no serious content update for years as well. So i can hardly imagine a group of active SWG developers moving to Vanguard and starting fixing bugs or/and creating content. This is pure fiction.

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

Quentin, 

Vanguard is a pretty cool game with a lot of good features.  A game I think everyone should at least try for no other reason that to see what could be in mmos.

However, the one thing that needs to be accepted before playing Vanguard is that it is a game that could be shut down any day and it isn't going to see regular support.  People will be quick to tell you that it got a patch just the other day, but fail to mention it was the first patch in over a year and it was like half a dozen minor bug fixes. 

Going into the game without misconceptions and high expectations is really key to vanguard.  Every few months threads pop up about how the game is rebounding, population growing, the game is flawless, that resources are finally being devoted to the game or some other grand promises. 

My advice is to just play vanguard for what it is, don't expect support and be ready for the posibility that it might close. If you can live with those the game will most likely be a lot of fun without it ending in a problem.

On the bright side, it costs SOE nothing to let the game run unsupported and can generate positive revenue even with a few hundred players.  There really is no reason right now for SOE to close the game so I can't really think of a reason that it would close down soon.