Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Warhammer had its chance - now Dark Age of Camelot deservers a revamp -

ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150

I was recently asked to respond to an EA survey in regards to some quick help I recieved while speaking with a rep who helped me with a simple issue for the mmorpg: Dark Age of Camelot. I wanted to type in the below response, but alas, it was too lengthy. So, I am posting it here.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm actually going to add to the quality of the game experience as related to "What factor determined your rating for the game?" I understand, after watching a handful of past mmorpgs slip beneath the waves while their developers smiled stubbornly and played, "Nearer my God to Thee," that the genre has a plethora of issues.

The Corporate Investor Issue: A Grim Reality

For one, you need to make investors who have little if any sense of the genre happy. This alone can destroy an entire mmorpg product. This naturally effects the creative side of the genre, which is why we continue to get cut and paste or simplistic 2 faction mmorpgs with instanced battlegrounds and same same pve grinding for gear and rep rewards.

Dark Age of Camelot is not that game.

Why not invest in something we know works?

I understand, as do a number of gaming pals throughout the past few years, that companies don't always have the best interests at hand for a project that they might see as outdated or not worth investing in - in this case I'm referring to Dark Age of Camelot, and how it has been affected by its nephew, Warhammer Online (oh my how the apple falls far from the tree).

Dark Age of Camelot, any talk of DAoC 2, and even Origins, a server long promised to the loyal community, fell through with little if any commentary as a follow-up of Warhammer's release. Was this a viable new direction for Mythic? Warhammer appears to have taken a dark path since its inception. The "professionals" that were hired to handle character concepts, especially the very foundation of pve and pvp mechanics, were sorely in the wrong field. NOt just my opinion, endless threads and diminishing server populations within the first six-months attested to this. To make matters worse, we all saw the mass of Mythic employee firings in September 2009. We hoped that Mythic's talent had not been given a boot.

Today, we have a Warhammer that is a far cry from what loyal players (and yes I feel I can speak for most) experienced in its inspirational title: Dark Age of Camelot, while all the while, the propoganda machine that that spoke for the game - the very same people that sat with witty personalities while defending for example, the over-reaction of the community to aoe damage, were nothing but a detriment to Warhammer's financial development.

I was the first to post a video of 2 bright wizards and a warrior priest hiding behind a cave wall and laughing their butts off as they aoe'd a raid down that was just out of line of sight of the enemy. A RAID. My video was taken from youtube as a response to a video link that showed Paul Barnett reacting with a cocky attitude about players complaining about lack of aoe balance (an issue the game had just long enough to lose a ton of player base).

I was lucky enough to be the FIRST post under his link at the main Warhammer forums. This video response blatantly showed he was out of touch - not a viable behavior for the "Creative Director" and a wonderful example (or nefarious) of part of what was wrong at the company PR room.

So here we are, arguably not that far from a free to play model for Warhammer (I'm sure it's at least been layed out on the table)...and Dark Age of Camelot, a game that no one has since been able to mimic is left to gather dust, treated like the red-headed step child of a WASP family. I'll shut up now, but I want to remind the employees of Mythic/EA/Bioware (what have you)...as to what DAoC offered that titles such as Warhammer, Rift, Wow, Vanguard Saga of Heroes, Age of Conan, Lord of the Tings online, etc failed to do:

1. 1-50 leveling zone that immerses the player in their realm. There is no lazy cross over of quest lines between factions here. We won't see the enemy at level 15 questing or griefing us. They have a country, far far away over the sea - as it should be.

2. Three factions: The third faction (something WAR missed out the gate), is a whild card. Players tend to flock (at least initially) to one faction. Many players in WAR complained that Destruction owned a particular server or what have you. Even with a smaller third population, the lengthy boring sieges that can occur between two factions are now broken up. Thusly, in Dark Age, even the potential victor has to look over their shoulder because they never know what could be INC. Now that's fun.

3. Darkness Falls: This one dungeon adds a surprising amount of flavor to Dark Age. Lengthy forum threads discussed bringing this back (player threads mind you)...we at some point were told something similar was INC and instead we got the Land of the Dead. Again, we get something that really had very little if any fun value. Yes it had some of the limited 2 faction conflict - but we already expressed we were mostly 3 realm players so that never appealed to us anyway. In short, LoTD was boring - like most of the game.

Many of us wrote endless threads about what to do to fix a game that was so out of touch with its various departments, that even the opening video showed a dual-wielding Shadow Warrior taking out a Marauder. The real shadow warrior, while effective with max gear and build specifically to "kite" 1-2 opponents at a time for long periods of time, became an example of what we did not want for the main bread and butter fantasy archetype (at least one of them) of the genre. Warhammer did the same with the rogue archetype, limiting stealth to a broken coded 30 second effect. Warhammer took the negatives of the genre, took fascinating classes from Games Workshop (I used to run the fantasy battle version back in the 80s), and broke them, made them boring as heck to play to a majority of player base that left. Those were two classes as an example, but ask a Magus, or Engineer, White Lion and his pet pathing issues, etc., as to what they've had to deal with that even goes beyond just broken mechanics.

Anyway - I could go on forever. Enough already. I got derailed but I cannot express the frustration so many of us felt when we were given queue words like RvR and siege warfare as intentional pick up words and we were instead given an mmorpg that was a broken down mishmash of what we didn't like from other titles and then on top of that they took classes that were somewhat fun elsewhere, and made them lackluster and vague copies. In short: not fun.

What else makes DAoC so Fun? I mean, the graphics are sou outdated, the UI is ancient...seriously?

Dark Age of Camelot has a number of fine qualities. Dark Age of Camelot has immersion, even though Mythic put a 6 minute (or less?) timer between faction logging - which killed the loyalty factor, but still, even with that mistake, it has immersion:

We have housing, 3 factions, NO instanced battlegrounds, just persistant zones where conflict is continuous and unpredictable in size and shape. We have separate pve worlds between the realms, which means we technically have 3 separate games (yes I know this is the one thing Warhammer did borrow, but you could still run between pve zones at will in Warhammer...bah).

In DAoC we had (have) Darkness Falls - an incredibly fun 3 realm pve / pvp dungeon with no necessary questing. Find your mobs and graba soda and chips and just chill out and grind as your xp baloons (watch out for bad guys though lol).

And finally, as I just mentioned in the dungeon "Darkness Falls," we can grind on mobs, we don't need to do those god awful quests, or beg for someone to help up get through a few phases of a public quest, or fall asleep at the keyboard while clicking next, next, next at the quest giver because we have no interest in some watered down lore that would make J.R.R. Tolkien, George R.R. Martin, Tad Williams, Stephen King, Peter Straub, etc., fall asleep reading.

Ironically, I spent 10 hours yesterday on Albion building a Cabalist - it's just crazy that DAoC has so much darn flavor that that actually was relaxing for me - somewhat peaceful and therapeutic, and a wonderful alternative to endless cheesy quest grinding.

As an aside, let me say that I tried playing my 41 rogue in Rift the other week (I lasted about the same amount of time as most of my daoc buddies did before they quit the game), and after 32 minutes I had to log. Fed ex questing and kill 12 wolves here and run back BS has to stop. I quit WoW a while back after falling asleep in Cataclysm, so no, I wasn't going to go queue for an instanced battleground either. Been there, done that, and capture the flag pvp ended for me in elmentary school. I want castles, towers, siege weapons - Medieval Total War the RPG meets an mmorpg. I'm back in Dark Age of Camelot now. I don't care about the graphics or UI - the quality of the game is by far above the bar standard of the genre. I'm at a point with these titles where I feel like I'm part of a minority adult population that well recalls Everquest, Asheron's Call, and that as a gamer who consistently tries new titles, I find myself going back to that sweet sincere girl next door, who while simply dressed, has more character than the theme park population down the street of oh so pretty girls who have very little if anything to say.

My Wall of Text is just about Over - thank you for reading this far:

Let me say to someone here (if anyone even reads this), that while I am sure this will be seen as nothing more than an erasable "vent" or a whine *as Barnett used to say, that these feelings are worthy of attention.

Someone at Bio/EA/Mythic, someone has to have a financial or otherwise creative connection that as well has COMMON SENSE. This person (or persons dare I dream?) will see Dark Age as not only an mmorpg that has some real value in concept and creativity, but as something that is worthy of investment in either a massive upgrade - a re-release of Dark Age of Camelot call it say, Dark Age of Camelot - the Age of Kings...etc, whatever, and give us a fresh graphically developed mmorpg.

AND HERE's THE CATCH:

You don't even have to make a DAoC 2. If you took a look at what an Unreal engine or such does to the graphics (check youtube), and upgrade the UI to today's standards, etc. My God - you'd have a gem that no corporate investor could deny is quite awe inspiring, and finally, FUN.

/my 2 cents - sorry for the proverbial rant.

Comments

• xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078

I would love to see a DAOC revamp. Still alot of people playing DAOC. Would definitely make me resub :-D

• EliandalEliandal Member Posts: 796

You'd first have to get someone to buy it out from under EA.  The team was pretty much completely gutted, first by War, and then by EA.

It would be fun to have a DAOC '2' - but considering current circumstances, it wouldn't come cheap :(

• RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283

www.primeonline.com sanyo weathers is there community manager from daoc 3 faction pvp mmo

• Mari2kMari2k Member UncommonPosts: 367

There was (is) no better mmo out there.

A revemp would be great, but I would also resub when they get rid of buffbots + a server with many new players.

• RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283

Originally posted by Mari2k

There was (is) no better mmo out there.

A revemp would be great, but I would also resub when they get rid of buffbots + a server with many new players.

not atm got to give prime a chance tho : )

• SaorlanSaorlan Member Posts: 289

This post is all good and well but there are no plans for a revamp and it is simply not going to happen so move on.

DAoC was a decent ish game - the core game mechanics were nothing special - just another EQ clone BUT the RvRvR was excellent as almost as good as games like PlanetSide.

• EinsamWulfEinsamWulf Member Posts: 69

Couldn't agree more with the OP, coming from warhammer into DAOC (sadly I missed it during its prime, but just like listening to classic rock, I can still see today what made it so good back then). I'd had such high hopes for WAR, I blew a fat chunk on the collectors editiion, even my wife jumped in to play (she had never played an MMO in her life but after seeing how interested I was she jumped in to.)

Day 1 in the game I knew, I didn't want to admit it but I was staring at a broken WoW clone. Finally after a couple months I quit and wandered for a bit and found DAOC, and my god what a discovery. Sure the game is out dated, the interface is clunky but it is still so much fun. I go back from time to time and I'd love to see a revamp, I've seen some great work done with the Crytek engine. This is the kind of thing that I wish could reach the investors.

If there is anything we could do as a community, we should. Maybe, just maybe there is someone that would listen. I can't keep playing WoW clones, and I have yet to find something that really hooks me past a free trial. If anyone has any ideas, I'm game.

Terminus
    Legend Gaming Website | Join Us
    EinsamWulf- Legionnaire of Terminus
  • nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345

Agreed. A nostalgic place in the MMO heart is DAoC.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

DaoC had it's points and were a great game at it's time.

You are however not thinking like EA here. Say that they could revamp DaoC and get back the highest number of subs it ever had, they still wouldn't do it even if they knew that.

EA bought Mythic because they had the illusion that WAR was an actual rival to Wow and could get 10 million subs. They are not intrested in half a million or 350K subs. There is no way they would invest in something they weren't sure would give at least a million subs (probably more) and we know that DaoC wont get that.

They will do like SOE and keep running the game with as low costs as possible but I really doubt they will invest anything in Mythic again.

The only chance we have of seeing DaoC 2 is if Mark Jacobs start a new company and buy the license for the game, or if someone else does.

Selling out their soul to EA was a huge misstake.

• erinyserinys Member UncommonPosts: 395

UI and graphic revamp and i would play it for another 5 years for sure!

• Odium420Odium420 Member Posts: 18

Originally posted by Loke666

DaoC had it's points and were a great game at it's time.

You are however not thinking like EA here. Say that they could revamp DaoC and get back the highest number of subs it ever had, they still wouldn't do it even if they knew that.

EA bought Mythic because they had the illusion that WAR was an actual rival to Wow and could get 10 million subs. They are not intrested in half a million or 350K subs. There is no way they would invest in something they weren't sure would give at least a million subs (probably more) and we know that DaoC wont get that.

They will do like SOE and keep running the game with as low costs as possible but I really doubt they will invest anything in Mythic again.

The only chance we have of seeing DaoC 2 is if Mark Jacobs start a new company and buy the license for the game, or if someone else does.

Selling out their soul to EA was a huge misstake.

While most of your points are valid you are wrong on a couple things.

EA only cares about money, this is true, but one of the things that EA is best at is churning out sequals. Sometimes they do this and it turns out poorly, DA2. 

EA is the boss but don't think that Bioware might not give DAOC a look down the road. Especially if Star Wars is a huge success. They will try to build on that and build on DAOC for a DAOC 2 or whatever. 

I think that one of the big reasons EA wanted Mythic was their experience in MMOs. WAR could have been DAOC 2 but the bugs and lack of 3 realms killed it. Hell, people looked past all the bugs that DAOC had for years because of the 3 realms imo.

Not to get super off topic but Warhammer could easily have 3 realms. If you know about warhammer lore you could have something like 

1.Good (empire, dwarves, high elves)

2. Bad (chaos, dark elves, greenskins)

3.Neutral (lizardmen, wood elves, Bretonnia)

Then all you have to do is set it up like DAOC 1 and you are in business.

The best thing we can do is tell EA to make DAOC 2. 

Oh, and yes selling was a major mistake by Mythic but at some point you really don't have a choice. They need to eat as well. 

• cricket4002cricket4002 Member UncommonPosts: 16

lol daoc 1 basicly is daoc2 they are redoing the web site its like a whole new game am i right? huh? huh? (sarcasim if you cant tell) which btw how long do they plan on that dang site to be under construction how long has it been now? like two months?  more? but i think  maybe warhammer is daoc 2 just needs like a lifetime of updates warhammer lore is pretty sweet, but i still think an actual daoc2 would be better!  im in love with classes and races of daoc they are mostly based on ancient myths (irl) i think thats pretty cool, ya see theo when i play warhammer i like to control armies, the proof is in pudding. sorry for the nonsense image

• CrazyeyedCrazyeyed Member Posts: 1

I Truely Love  this Game best PvP i have ever played.. miss the good ol mordred/android days

• ace5572ace5572 Member Posts: 113

I wish so badly that a DAOC 2 would be made. The pvp was fantastic, the sieges were amazing, the playerbase competitve, and the lore was stuff out of real life.

But like the guy a few posts above me said: EA, or really any company, would never make it. And that depresses me. Because games have gone the wrong way in my lifetime. Back in the DAOC days (read; the EQ days) when MMOs were fresh and new, and only catered to a select few of the general population, those games were amazing. Now its all about the money and the timeframe. Not the quality.

In the future expect a lot more games like Mass Effect and Call of Duty. (cash cows) While those games aren't bad by any means they're cheap and churn out a lot of sequals. The games we all loved to play are going by the way-side.