Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Simpsons did it.

So I've only been on this forum for a few weeks, and I mostly stick to SWTOR, because I am most excited to play this game when it comes out.

What I've been most concerned about is how people love to get on the bandwagon of hating on this game.  "Nothing is original in this game", "the graphics are sub-par at best", "the lore doesn't allow for such things as huttball" etc etc etc.  From the space combat (which even I am disappointed about) to PvP combat, there's someone whining about something.

You all sound like Comic Book Guy from the Simpsons.  You're so stuck on the minute details with your heads stuck up your butts that you can't appreciate a good game that other people want to play.

I, personally, want to play this game because I love Star Wars, it looks like fun to play, and I got tired of WoW before Wrath of the Lich King but continued playing until Cata because nothing else piqued my interest.

They could have Prune Face from The Return of the Jedi as the only playable character, and I couldn't care less.  I'm still going to play this game.  They could have a floating city called Dalaaran and have jedi flying around on proto-drakes, I'm still going to play this game.  So, to all of the haters and flamers out there, you're only wasting your time.  People have already pre-ordered, and those who haven't, will or will not purchase this game based on reviews, not your whining.

Where SWTOR will succeed is not necessarily in its innovation, but it's combining of great aspects of other games.  From the cover system (much like Tabula Rasa) to its PvP (from what I've heard, is much like Warhammer), it is combining good parts of other games, trying a few new tweaks, but still trying to make it playable and accessable to everyone.

That's the end of my rant.

Thank you, come again :)

Comments

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Posting to confirm that I fully endorse this post and / or stance and / or product.

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735

welcome to planet earth my friend, where fanbois and haters reside!

this happens in all forms of media and even sport not just gaming.

• TyratopsTyratops Member Posts: 98

I'm sorry, rants have been done before.

• IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051

Yes, even with their no blocking / dodging (not really sure what is going on with blaster deflections and lightsabers) and not giving every class the ability to hide behind a crate to avoid blaster fire...and those ridiculously large male toons...I'll be playing and your post is solid.

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735

OP just accept that some people don't like the game and then you will be at peace, the only thing that matters is that you like it.

• DIR3W0LFDIR3W0LF Member UncommonPosts: 64

I totally agree with you sir

• poefuepoefue Member Posts: 226
    I agree with your rant OP. But there will always be haters for everything. Just take a look at those miracle whip commercials.
  • ChimpsChimps Member Posts: 192

There's always going to be haters.

What you do is ignore them and laugh at them when the game becomes successfull.

SWTOR will be successfull no matter how much people hate on it. I myself am looking forward to it, i have nothing but love for the entire game.

• FearGXFearGX Member Posts: 317

I hate/bash SWTOR because it just doesn't look good. It's 2011 and it is taking all the older mechanics and using older methods to try grab in people. I watched many of Totalbiscuits Gamescon coverage and other videos from Gamescon, PAX, E3. SWTOR just doesn't look good, the combat is clunky and animation quality isn't the best I've seen. I do admit it has a nice story and has AAA quality voice-acting, roleplay feeling elements and lore, but people don't play a MMO entirely for story or lore. I Play WoW, Everquest, Aion, Rift because of the communtiy in the server, progression, gaining gear / power and mainly for endgame, something I think SWTOR will lack. They have been very tight lipped and careful with what they reveal, and that worries me. It was the same with Dragon Age 2 (I know it is a totally different game but hear me out). People were very excited for it, and Bioware remained very quiet and careful with what they said, and I knew when I first saw gameplay footage, it was a collosal fail of a game and a step backwards in every way. I made a post here about DA2 and how bad it looked, I was laughed at, but I was right. It was shunned by many critics on release, some giving it worst rpg ever. It was bad because Bioware simplified the game too much, and focused too much on story, instead of gameplay.

I feel SWTOR and Bioware are doing the same here, focusing too much on lore/story and not thinking of the long term player / hardcore player. SWTOR has simple UI, and basic interface which shows it is a game made for casuals / newbies. GW2 and Tera Online are much better, higher quality games that I am currently following. These games don't cater to newbies or casuals, they cater to both sides equally, have excellent content, these should be praised over SWTOR.

I'm not saying I want SWTOR to be bad, or to fail so to speak, I was VERY excited when they announced it with the awesome trailer back in 2009-2010. But from what they have shown, I was not very excited, and pretty much summed it down too "WoW clone broken down for a brainless monkey".

Maybe I'm wrong, It might be a huge success and have excellent end game and content besides the story elements, I will buy the game if so, but from what I've seen, I am not very keen. Please be aware when there is honest bashing/concern and then others who are just plain trolling for their own game they play.

• ChilliesauceChilliesauce Member Posts: 559

Zingggg!!! and it went over the head of Fearlessbro.

• FearGXFearGX Member Posts: 317

Originally posted by Chilliesauce

Zingggg!!! and it went over the head of Fearlessbro.

I am giving opinions, and not hating the game. I am just stating that I think it is not going to be the huge success people think it will be.

I have learned from experience. I bought many other MMOs such as LOTRO, Warhammer online, Aion, Fury, Rift (liked the most), FFXIV and some of these games were good in some areas, but the communities died very quickly. I am very careful with pondering out money for a game that won't last me more then the 30 day free sub.

• SakdizzleSakdizzle Member Posts: 52

I'm sorry, I can't tell you how to be "based". It takes years in search of eternal wisdom. Nah I'm just kidding, I thought some of you would get it, but I guess people don't listen to him.

• AKASlaphappyAKASlaphappy Member UncommonPosts: 800

Well you had a pretty good speech going there about how people need to stop bashing other people’s choice of games, well that is till right up to this part!

Originally posted by FloggingJude

They could have Prune Face from The Return of the Jedi as the only playable character, and I couldn't care less.  I'm still going to play this game.  They could have a floating city called Dalaaran and have jedi flying around on proto-drakes, I'm still going to play this game.  So, to all of the haters and flamers out there, you're only wasting your time.  People have already pre-ordered, and those who haven't, will or will not purchase this game based on reviews, not your whining.

Basically what this said to me is that if Bioware craped on a plate you would eat it and call it the best flaminyon every made. That is a little to fanatical for me, but up till that point I agree, if you do not like the game say your peace then move the hell on!

Originally posted by AKASlaphappy

Well you had a pretty good speech going there about how people need to stop bashing other people’s choice of games, well that is till right up to this part!

Basically what this said to me is that if Bioware craped on a plate you would eat it and call it the best flaminyon every made. That is a little to fanatical for me, but up till that point I agree, if you do not like the game say your peace then move the hell on!

Nope it is called having faith in a company; just like you have faith in ANET. Does it mean you will eat the crap of ANET off the plate? both Anet and Bioware are companies with amazing reputation and successful franchise under their belt (ok ANET has only one title but still it counts). 

• Paradigm68Paradigm68 Member UncommonPosts: 890

I'll never understand the post of someone complaining about not understanding why people complain about things.  Clealy when someone wonders why people complain about things they need only ask themselves why they are complaining and apply the reason.

Nope it is called having faith in a company; just like you have faith in ANET. Does it mean you will eat the crap of ANET off the plate? both Anet and Bioware are companies with amazing reputation and successful franchise under their belt (ok ANET has only one title but still it counts). 

Well I am interesting in GW2 that does not mean I automatically will assume that no matter what they do to the game, will make it a success. In fact I have said more than once on this site that what ArenaNet is trying might fail horrible and I might not like it. I dare you to find a post on this forum where I say that if ANet made GW2 into a floating city with blue monkeys that I would like it and say “yeah this is the best”. I would do the opposite of that and leave GW2 and not look back, no game is everything that I will ever need in a game all in one package.

Just because you think having faith in a company means not ever doubting them, do not apply that to me. So no I would not eat crap if ANet put it on the table I would throw in their faces, and go find something that is not trying to feed me crap! Only a fanatic would set there and take it, and I am not a fanatic for any game, after all it is only a game!

Well I am interesting in GW2 that does not mean I automatically will assume that no matter what they do to the game, will make it a success. In fact I have said more than once on this site that what ArenaNet is trying might fail horrible and I might not like it. I dare you to find a post on this forum where I say that if ANet made GW2 into a floating city with blue monkeys that I would like it and say “yeah this is the best”. I would do the opposite of that and leave GW2 and not look back, no game is everything that I will ever need in a game all in one package.

Just because you think having faith in a company means not ever doubting them, do not apply that to me. So no I would not eat crap if ANet put it on the table I would throw in their faces, and go find something that is not trying to feed me crap! Only a fanatic would set there and take it, and I am not a fanatic for any game, after all it is only a game!

You missed the point. Having faith in company is not akin to being a fanatic. One can have a faith in company due to various reasons. Past reputation, quality of their games, always delivering what they promise, faith on basis of demos, betas or in game footage. It is not difficult to form an opinion about a company and their product when you know that they have long history of delivering quality products. Ofcourse, everyone has doubts but in acse of companies like ANET and Bioware positives always outweigh the negatives.

Both GW2 and SWTOR can also end up being bad but that is something we can know only when the game releases. So if someone says with absolute surety that they are going to enjoy a game like SWTOR doesn't mean they are being fanboyish just that they believe in company and product and in their opinion chances of failure are less.

I doubt how many can show same amount of faith for companies like Funcom and SOE.

You missed the point. Having faith in company is not akin to being a fanatic. One can have a faith in company due to various reasons. Past reputation, quality of their games, always delivering what they promise, faith on basis of demos, betas or in game footage. It is not difficult to form an opinion about a company and their product when you know that they have long history of delivering quality products. Ofcourse, everyone has doubts but in acse of companies like ANET and Bioware positives always outweigh the negatives.

Both GW2 and SWTOR can also end up being bad but that is something we can know only when the game releases. So if someone says with absolute surety that they are going to enjoy a game like SWTOR doesn't mean they are being fanboyish just that they believe in company and product and in their opinion chances of failure are less.

I doubt how many can show same amount of faith for companies like Funcom and SOE.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree; you call the following faith in a company while I see it as fanaticism. 

They could have Prune Face from The Return of the Jedi as the only playable character, and I couldn't care less.  I'm still going to play this game.  They could have a floating city called Dalaaran and have jedi flying around on proto-drakes, I'm still going to play this game. 

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039

They could have Prune Face from The Return of the Jedi as the only playable character, and I couldn't care less.  I'm still going to play this game.  They could have a floating city called Dalaaran and have jedi flying around on proto-drakes, I'm still going to play this game. 

The post you are quoting is tounge in cheek comment on SWTOR purists and fanatics who would complain about just anything if it doesn't go with lore for example Huttball PVP. OP is actually telling players to lighten up and not take games too seriously. I don't know from where you connected it to being a fanatic. 

Originally posted by Bigdaddyx

The post you are quoting is tounge in cheek comment on SWTOR purists and fanatics who would complain about just anything if it doesn't go with lore for example Huttball PVP. OP is actually telling players to lighten up and not take games too seriously. I don't know from where you connected it to being a fanatic. 

Well if it was meant to be humorous then that is fine, I just did not read it that way. As for how I connected it to being a fanatic that is pretty simple only a fanatic would say I would play this game no matter what is done to it. And since the OP said that it is pretty easy for me to connect it to being fanatical!  But if it was meant in humor then I guess it is no so fanatical, but that is definitely humor I do not find funny apparently.

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039

Originally posted by Bigdaddyx

Well if it was meant to be humorous then that is fine, I just did not read it that way. As for how I connected it to being a fanatic that is pretty simple only a fanatic would say I would play this game no matter what is done to it. And since the OP said that it is pretty easy for me to connect it to being fanatical!  But if it was meant in humor then I guess it is no so fanatical, but that is definitely humor I do not find funny apparently.

I think from the title to the context of the post it very much intended to be a humorus post. Now if you fid the joke funny or not is another matter. ;) But OP is anything but fanatic. Instead he making fun of fanatics, purists and lore freaks.

• BadSpock2BadSpock2 Member Posts: 96

Might add that the space combat, while limited, is awesome.

Then again, I loved Star Fox and the Rebel Assault / Rogue Squadron games, and hated what SWG did to my beloved flight sims (X-Wing/Tie-Fighter) in JTL... blasphemy!

• KendaneKendane Member UncommonPosts: 225

I really don't have a problem with people that are critical of the game, but thats to a point.  It seems on this site and others, the first page is filled with people that more or less say this game looks stupid or will fail.  Now of course the solution is to not click on this topics, but it just get kind of annoying sifting through these after reading one, which generally means I've read them all.  For the most part, if some of these people despise the game I question why you are even on this part of the forum.  On gamefaqs if there is a game I dislike, I don't bother going to the games forum and saying the game looks lame because the only people there are there in the first place because they think it looks interesting.  Eh that's just my rant lol.

• PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856

There is a difference reinveting the wheel to make it fit your game which it appears SWToR is doing and reinventing a wheel that is not broken which GW2 is doing.

It will play like a game in this genre, but have unique things you will not find in others. I am not exactly sure where in WoW/EQ/Rift that I parked my spaceship that has my companion who does crafting for me. Whoever calls that a WoW clone is on crack.

Originally posted by Puremallace

There is a difference reinveting the wheel to make it fit your game which it appears SWToR is doing and reinventing a wheel that is not broken which GW2 is doing.

It will play like a game in this genre, but have unique things you will not find in others. I am not exactly sure where in WoW/EQ/Rift that I parked my spaceship that has my companion who does crafting for me. Whoever calls that a WoW clone is on crack.

In a thread about people need to stop hating and bashing TOR, you bash GW2 the irony!