Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Trying Dawn

raff01raff01 Member Posts: 453

1 year after release, I am going back to MO to give Dawn for a try and see if it has really changed, and give the most objective point of view I can.

1st day :

11AM France time my 60 MB/s connection downloads the entire game in just 25 minutes and takes an extra 15 to patch everything, so far so good, patcher seems to work well, I'm setting up the options to adapt to my config :

core2 Duo E8200 2,6Ghz, 4Gb RAM, Geforce GTX 460 with 1,5 Gb of video RAM

This is normally a solid config to play this game, I set graphix to high with world textures set to 1024 and resolution to 1680 x 1050

Character creation hasn't changed at all except the lore information...a pity, since I think adding more hairstyles and tweaks would have been easy.

After completing my char, I try to enter the game but it doesn't work I just click and nothing...try to click save, nothing, I exit, my char is gone, need to go thru the entire process again, this just isn't good.

2nd attempt, this time I enter the game, here we go !

at 1st look in Fab, graphics look great. sunlight effects thru tree branches is simply wonderful and cheers me up. Trees are now looking like real trees and have a bit more variety than before, this is good. Foliage also seems to have been revamped.

I start looking and running around and it is all smooth, but suddently everything freezes for 10 seconds then comes back.

As I progress, I get constant freezes everytime the game needs to load stuff it seems. So MO is seamless, but tell me what good is it if you have constant loading times?

passing on. After exploring the arounds, Fabernum seems empty as fuck. almost every player around is naked with a yellow flag...

I decide to see what Tindrem looks like. When I finally reach it, its just a sad wall with nothing around it, as I walk along the shore heading towards Meduli, I realise except for a few player houses which have a nice variety to them, the land is pretty barren and few things have been added to make it look fluffier., a real pity given how good of a 3D engine this is.

I finally reach Meduli and decide to start killing pigs to get my combat skills up and make a bit of money.

And ladies and gentleman, rocket pigs are still in-game...Yes! after all this time since block B, pigs are still warping all around you, suddently start running as fast as a rocket with EVEN THE SMOKE ON THEIR REAR END !! this makes them very hard to target, since they come and go and warp all around you. Eventualy after hitting randomly around me hoping to land a hit, I kill it.

After killing a lot of pigs, I decide to fight something harder and head towards graveyard. I engage a walking dead. They are slow but tough. and while I have to be close to it in order to land a hit, ^my enemy seems to have no problem hitting me when at least 5 meters away from me...

Overall combat still feels like slushing thru mud, its not accurate at all and the only tactic that seems to work is to load your swing while away, run and release hoping that your hit will land, block, run back, repeat...For PVE at least.

I then decide to go around town and see what pickables there is. I collect mushrooms, flowers and even gabore left on the sand...Finally I get enough cuprum out of everything to get myself some basic armor, a good thing because the nearest armor crafter seems to be pretty far away.

There it is for my 1st day back.  so far, pros : patcher stability seems to be much better than it was, game runs smoother, graphics are great around towns and a small tutorial has been added. Pickables are nice and remind me of DFO and Morrowind.

cons : little content has been added in 1 year, the game is empty, and for a sandbox, it just can't work. there are horrible loading times when walking around Nave, which can either cost you life in a PvE situation or make you look like your warping for others in a PvP situation.(given its client side). Combat feels aweful and PvE seems to still be worthless with pathetic AI. Yes the AI doesnt seem to have changed at all since Beta. Really seeing rocket pigs 1 year after just isn't right.

To be continued.

Comments

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,986

I was planning to do something similar for DAWN but it was such a mess I honestly lost interest.

I'd love it if you could add some screens and videos to your recaps though!

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• deathshrouddeathshroud Member Posts: 1,366

sounfs to me like you spent 1 hour playing the game, your running on to high settings for your pc and combat is gonig to feel slugish when using a newly created character. But yea mo still has problems. But look forward to reading your next post.

there are 2 types of mmo, imitators and innovaters.

• raff01raff01 Member Posts: 453

Originally posted by deathshroud

sounfs to me like you spent 1 hour playing the game, your running on to high settings for your pc and combat is gonig to feel slugish when using a newly created character. But yea mo still has problems. But look forward to reading your next post.

Spent 2-3 hours.

• pockets666pockets666 Member Posts: 198

Originally posted by raff01

Spent 2-3 hours.

I don't think casting opinions about his play time should of been added DS.  I played for a month on 6 fully skilled characters and It was all about the same. 

• LisXiaLisXia Member Posts: 390

Interesting insight.  May I ask, why should combat be sluggish with a new character?  Must be some interesting design.

Originally posted by pockets666

Spent 2-3 hours.

I don't think casting opinions about his play time should of been added DS.  I played for a month on 6 fully skilled characters and It was all about the same. 

i mean he hasnt palyed enough time to actually have his character at a state that wouldnt feel slugish, i dont like the slugish feeling of a new palyer but it does not reflect how players move at high stats and skills.

its obviously bad design, i dont agree with it but other like the fact that there is a rela sense of progress when raising your characters atributes and was quickly silenced by plenty of other mo players on forums when i raised the issue. Bt the simple fact is it takes little time to raise stats if it was like the darkfall grind then yes it would be unbearable but a couple of days and i can live with that.

Originally posted by pockets666

Spent 2-3 hours.

i mean he hasnt palyed enough time to actually have his character at a state that wouldnt feel slugish, i dont like the slugish feeling of a new palyer but it does not reflect how players move at high stats and skills.

I know about that, during Beta I was a thief, so I had jumping, running, sprinting etc all maxed out...I know the game, I just think combat should be more fluid. What do you guys use to take screenshots ingame?

f9 disables hud, f10 takes screenshot f11 changes from full screen to windowed

also being a theif in mo now has been made a little easier, in order to guard someone you must have them tab targeted, meaning a crafty thief has a much better chance of escaping, also its more common for gank squads in towns since its harder to guard them.

Played a bit today. Tried making a new char in Vadda which is a place I used to be during beta.

Vadda is really really empty, its sad...the area is plagued by graphic bugs, most annoying being the sun effects combined with the graveyard fog...

Trying to make money around Vadda is close to impossible thus far. Pigs seem to have deserted the surroundings, so do weasels.

Best I can hunt are...Rabbits, which can outrun me unless I'm jogging...really frustrating. there are also wolves which kill me in just 3 hits and run very fast.

Also I can't find any interesting pickables around like it was the case in meduli...

Only was I found to make money is to pull undeads to guarded zone and call guards on them.

And as if this wasn't enough a guy named TheHornet now has decided to chain gank me as soon as I step outside guarded zone.

He has a pretty nice sword and usually hits me for more than 80 dmg, and there is almost nobody in town and nobody strong enough to challenge him.

Vadda no longer seems any interesting for a fighter, I will I think go back to my 1st char in Meduli.