Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I'm Actually Offended by Huttball

i was considering maybe trying the trial of TOR one day, but with circus acts like this one wrecking every possibility of immersion, i wouldnt touch this game with a stick even if it was f2p.

how do you guys feel about Huttball? will you take your Jedi Master Sage or lvl 80 Inquisitor to play space football when theyre taking a break from seeing into the future, meditating, and toppling empires?

Comments

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039

Originally posted by sonoggi

i was considering maybe trying the trial of TOR one day, but with circus acts like this one wrecking every possibility of immersion, i wouldnt touch this game with a stick even if it was f2p.

how do you guys feel about Huttball? will you take your Jedi Master Sage or lvl 80 Inquisitor to play space football when theyre taking a break from seeing into the future, meditating, and toppling empires?

I am not a star wars purist so yeah i am fine with it. Moreover, if LA is fine with addition of Huttball i see no reason why you are getting so offended. I find it amusing actually.

• ShariShari Member UncommonPosts: 746

I kinda know what you mean but sometimes you have to lighten up a little and not think to much about immersion and just focus on having fun I guess,

• MizzmoMizzmo Member UncommonPosts: 133

LA also gave us Jar Jar and Pod Racing so yeah......

• sonoggisonoggi Member Posts: 1,119

but the force is serious bidnis =( it's like seeing a 60 year old Shaolin monk at the arcade.

• C0MAC0MA Member Posts: 522

I'm offended that you're offended over a game putting something new to do in it. If you want vintage... go play Ultima Online otherwise sit back and enjoy the slow... and sometimes sloooowwweerr evolution of MMO's

Content = A+

Since we're discussing it, I feel I should add in IRL, when rich people are bored or athletes at the top of their game want something new... they tend to try MMA... so why would a space pirate not try a sport?

"Sometimes people say stuff they don''t mean, but more often then that they don''t say things they do mean"

• proponentproponent Member UncommonPosts: 92

but the force is serious bidnis =( it's like seeing a 60 year old Shaolin monk at the arcade.

I'd respect the monk more for that.

• C0MAC0MA Member Posts: 522

Originally posted by proponent

I'd respect the monk more for that.

He would be saddened by what he has missed out on for 59 years.

"Sometimes people say stuff they don''t mean, but more often then that they don''t say things they do mean"

• TechleoTechleo Member Posts: 1,984

Ironically I have seen monks at arcades haha. The reality is, even Jedi want to test themselves against a foe to better learn who they are. Its one of the founding principles of there religion and can be noted in multiple places in the lore. Especially when your dealing with Young Jedi. Testing your conception of things by experiencing them. A jedi was NOT above sports.

• ThornrageThornrage Member UncommonPosts: 659

It is a game. A game. A ... g a m e.

So many take these MMOs way too seriously.

"I don't give a sh*t what other people say. I play what I like and I'll pay to do it too!" - SerialMMOist

• the420kidthe420kid Member UncommonPosts: 440

wow dude super nerd much?  you are against a new type of PvP in a new mmo becuase it doesnt fit the lore seriously?  We are playing video games here and the main goal is fun factor.  There are a lot of super accurate lore books you can read and not worry about silly hutt ball, but when it comes to trying to make something new and fun in an mmo personaly I say keep the lore chat burried deep in your nerd mind cause I know I personaly just want a fun game regardless if it makes sense in the star wars universe (which btw TOR has some of the best lore out there from what ive seen so as a lore guy you should be pumped for TOR) because If its fun then I will have fun doing it period.

• naraku209naraku209 Member Posts: 226

I think the Huttball thing fits in the star wars lore quite well.. specially it being part of the Hutts.. makes sense

• SpazkatSpazkat Member Posts: 18

i can't wait to get into a huttball and bash it out. Bring It On!!!!

• Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193

Yes. This is nar shadaa, the corrupt gambling hub. It fits perfectly. KOTOR had underground arena duels, pod racing, and pazaak. The original SW had chess. And if it still ruins your immersion, don't play huttball. Or skip the entire game over it. Seems a little extreme but be my guest.

Other games have done things like this. Final fantasy 10 had something similar as well, and i'm sure there are plenty of others, including mmo's, that do this. But you must really know nothing about the moon nar shadaa if you think that huttball doesn't fit the immersion of the planet or story.

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207

Personally i think it's pretty stupid too. I'll be playing it until they come up with something better though.

Kinda sad if you think about it.

• Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193

Originally posted by Alders

Personally i think it's pretty stupid too. I'll be playing it until they come up with something better though.

I'm thinking about it and I'm not "sad'.

Explain what is sad about it exactly. Again, basing off the premiss that this is the most corrupt, vile, and depravid gambling planet in the galaxy, which is famous for violent entertainment. Such is the lore.

• NikopolNikopol Member UncommonPosts: 626

Well if the Hutts are not offended by Jedi laying hands on their precious precious, who are we to judge? :)

• mrshroom89mrshroom89 Member UncommonPosts: 224

Ummmm dont play Huttball????

C

• darkartgoddarkartgod Member Posts: 42

#1 if you havent tried it , then your opinion just doesnt count .....

#2 what i was reading was that hutball is a way to pvp in warzones even if theres just all rebels or imperials in queue. so yeah it does peak my interest a lil bit ...

but really i cant belive im even reading and replying to this post ....got me on one of my days i guess

• Originally posted by Alders

why bother playing it if you don't like it.  there are 2 other warzones and open world pvp.  its not like they have said huttball is the only option

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195

I have no problem with this idea. If Jabba can throw people who annoy him or owe him credits in the Rancor pit for entertainment...then I'm sure other similar Gladiatorial events were created by other lowly Hutts. This was was just...imo..creatively integrated into a warzone event . Sounds fun to me. Sorry others don't feel that way or feel it breaks immersion....but it is fine to use your imagination outside of what we've seen from team Lucas.

• DeeweDeewe Member UncommonPosts: 1,980

It might certainly be a fun feature still there are many other game play that would have beneficiated from the $$$ invested in this lore butchering implementation of a mini game.

I'm going to play the game nonetheless, but don't ask players to feel heroic anymore showing off a glowing stick after using it in a Hutt Ball.

• TechleoTechleo Member Posts: 1,984

Thats like saying, Its a book. So its ok to just write a book without paying attention to the intended topic? Id be fairly certain a book titled roman infantry , which is wrote about pink puppies wouldn't do to tell. A large portion of the people playing this game are fairly aware of the lore. The Star Wars crowd is probably even larger then blizzards warcraft crowd. 

In anycase the mechanics in this case don't really defy the basic idea behind the storylines.

• MetentsoMetentso Member UncommonPosts: 1,437

One more absurd feature. Who cares anymore.

• the420kidthe420kid Member UncommonPosts: 440

Since when did people start to care more about LORE than actual combat and content in a fun game?  If all this lore love was true then lord of the rings wouldnt need to be f2p.  The sad fact is you guys talk a big lore game but the fact is if the lore was 100% accurate and just so awsomely done but then you log in to find the games cluncky with slow un fun combat however the lore is just so phenominal and beautifuly written by an army of professionals you newbs will still log off uninstall and then come here to say how bad the game is..

Game / content > lore...  even lucas arts / bioware know this fact why havent you newbs got on board?

• EliandalEliandal Member Posts: 796

Originally posted by Deewe

It might certainly be a fun feature still there are many other game play that would have beneficiated from the $$$ invested in this lore butchering implementation of a mini game.

I'm going to play the game nonetheless, but don't ask players to feel heroic anymore showing off a glowing stick after using it in a Hutt Ball.

Speak for yourself?  I'll feel heroic when ever *I* feel like it.

Looking at how it's implemented I also see nothing lore-breaking about it.  Heck - if you're THAT stuck about it, perhaps your character was captured and sold to the Hutts - and you must fight for freedon?  Oh right, you're a hero so could never be captured!