Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

linux? ubuntu?

cricket4002cricket4002 Member UncommonPosts: 16

i heard i could run this on linux but i cant even fully download the game client, i have enough space by a long shot.

for gaming linux is sucking so far, but  internet sux with window for some reason (on my computer) so i cant run it on that cause i ld every 15 to 30 minutes. any real advice would be loved!!! im out of ideas i love daoc cant live without it much longer image

Comments

• XexvXexv Member Posts: 308

I'm not an expert but I have messed around with different distros before and this is what I came up with after several years.

Run a dual boot installation with Windows 7 and your favourite distro, probably Ubuntu (or Kubuntu). It simply isn't worth the faff and hassle of forcing games onto your linux distro unless you really enjoy doing that for the challenge. Boot windows to game, boot linux to browse/work/misc.

• cricket4002cricket4002 Member UncommonPosts: 16

ooo thats a really good idea! my computers kinda old though, i dont know if  i could run windows 7,i could do xp but i wonder if id even have the space after putting xp on this computer to run daoc as well  i should just work on getting a new computer

have you ever had trouble with windows connecting to the internet ,my friend swears my internet problem stemmed from window s and when i put linux on it worked better but it could of  been  a virus.... wish i was more computer savy 

• XexvXexv Member Posts: 308

A virus or malware could well have been present on your previous windows install which may have affected your net access. Providing you're certain the internet issues weren't caused by 'physical' things and your ISP is reliable.

Windows won't inherently bork up your net connection as the wired/wireless device recognition and generic windows drivers are now pretty reliable. If you do decide to try a dual boot make sure to read up beforehand as they can get fiddly sometimes, I'm positive there will be a good HOWTO out there from a helpful linux user, possibly even an Ubuntu-specific HOWTO. Windows XP will be fine if your computer is pretty weedy just make sure to update to the latest service pack and download any hotfixes required.

Since getting used to Windows 7 I don't dualboot anymore but setting up and running a Windows/Linux dualboot can be very rewarding and it's always nice to have the extra versatility.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

linux is optimised to run opengl opencl and all so if the game isnt made in those standard(last i checked apple game were mostly opencl opengl(yes corps bother now market of apple is what 25 %)

linux wine solution is a patch thingy as with all patch you have to fiddle to find the optimal way

but normally ubuntu is very good from the box .did you download the graphic card driver for your system and linux?

• cricket4002cricket4002 Member UncommonPosts: 16

my graphics card is download... i can make it a little further than i could before i can get to the installer...improvement for sure... but the install folder specified is not valid and when i go through the listed files to try and find it i cant, i dont know what im really looking for but, i feel like it would be obvious once i found it, thanks for bareing with me image

if nothing else works i will dual boot image

• boincmanboincman Member Posts: 99

Go to Winehq and look up Dark Age.  It is currently listed as running under Linux.  I have not tried to get it going yet, but the directions are usually good.