Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need a little help with a new computer.

13»

Comments

• psyclumpsyclum Member Posts: 792

Originally posted by Dragim

Alright, so do you have one handy you would suggest?  Not sure what to look for as far as a bigger/better cpu cooler, and not sure how to tell if it will be perpendicular to the air penetrator fans...hehe, am about to place the order, but will wait on a suggestion if anyone has one :)

there are alot of fine high end coolers that would fit the case.  here are some of the more popular one's

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608018&cm_sp=Cat_Fans_%26%2338%3b_Heatsinks-_-New-_-35-608-018

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835242001

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185143

here is a good site for info

http://www.frostytech.com/top5heatsinks.cfm

maybe quizzy can chime in and find a good one that is on sale and save you some $:D   i'm bad at finding on sale items:D

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355

There's also the question of, do you really need a high end processor cooler?  They're really only for overclocking, and Dragim said that he isn't overclocking.  Now, there's a good argument for getting a cheap $20 aftermarket cooler even at stock speeds, as the stock Sandy Bridge cooler is pretty bad.

That's probably why you had this combo deal before:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.710633

Three heatpipes on each side will handily beat zero heatpipes on the stock cooler.  If you wanted something from a more reputable brand, you could try either of these combo deals:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.697411

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.710630

But there's no sense in spending $80 on a CPU cooler if you're not going to greatly overclock the processor.

Originally posted by Quizzical

He's gettng an SSD.  There's no need for a ramdrive.

well...   ram drive should be used with SSD by offloading none essential heavy write operations such as internet temp files etc...  granted he can offload those writes to his storage drive, but there isnt any reason to keep the temp files at all and create fragmentation on the storage drive.  especially if he watch alot of videos off the net (MUST HAZ DA P0RN!!! :D)

besides, he's running windows.  and if there is ONE thing microsoft is good at, it's eating up additional system resources sooner or later:D

http://memory.dataram.com/products-and-services/software/ramdisk

allows for 4 gigs of ramdrive w/o paying for it.  that's make a nice sized temp drive for anything he'd need.

• ErstokErstok Member Posts: 523

*Over clocking is a waste of time and energy.

*Liquid cooling is useless and only morons buy it.

*Most a computer needs at the moment is dual core. Quad core works but anything over 3ghz for dual or quad core is useless and serves no functionality or purpose.

*Ram, Video Card, and Processing speed work hand and hand for better more fluent gameplay.

*Don't waste money on over bloated gaming cards. Most you need right now is 8800-9800 1ghz card(gaming computers are over priced and over powered in a market with software and games that at most need 2ghz pc, 2gigs of ram, and 512-1ghz card).

*Laptops are stupid and useless for people who sit on their bums all day. Less your on your feet and working a job or going to school and require a laptop don't bother with it, cost more and can't be upgraded.

*Most importantly, RESEARCH. Get a computer that functions best for you.

When did you start playing "old school" MMO's. World Of Warcraft?

There's also the question of, do you really need a high end processor cooler?  They're really only for overclocking, and Dragim said that he isn't overclocking.  Now, there's a good argument for getting a cheap $20 aftermarket cooler even at stock speeds, as the stock Sandy Bridge cooler is pretty bad.

That's probably why you had this combo deal before:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.710633

Three heatpipes on each side will handily beat zero heatpipes on the stock cooler.  If you wanted something from a more reputable brand, you could try either of these combo deals:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.697411

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.710630

But there's no sense in spending $80 on a CPU cooler if you're not going to greatly overclock the processor.

well, i was thinking more along the lines of futureproofing his investment.  with zambezi and sandybridge E, they are both hotter chips.(donno by how much), but as time progress, the trend has always been hotter chips.  Komodo is likely going to be a hotter chip then zambezi and i'm sure ivybridge would be clocked high enough to eat up as much power as sandybridge E or more.   it's more of a historical trend then anything. 

if he buys the noctua heatsink, they even offer free mounting kits for their heatsink as more processor sockets are released.  you just have to register at their site to get new mounting kits.  here is a quote from their site

"We provide mounting upgrades for Noctua CPU coolers free of charge, so if you would like to continue using your Noctua cooler on a new socket, we will send you a new mounting kit at no additional cost. For ordering our mounting kits, a proof of purchase (photo, scan or screenshot of the invoice) of both a Noctua CPU cooler and hardware components corresponding to the specific kit are required."

http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=support&lng=en

thats a nice bit of service that most other manufactures don't offer.  besides, with the way the RV02E is designed, he might be able to run the cpu cooler w/o a fan since the air penetrator provides a more directed airflow then conventional fans.  here is a demo of what i mean

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8m8fC809TK0

however to utilize that benefit, the heatsink he uses must be large enough to catch the cooling air hince the larger aftermarket coolers.  while i agree it's overkill and there is no need for it.  but every fan he removes from the overall system would mean a quieter and more efficent build.  fans are "moving parts" that are prone to failure afterall:D

Originally posted by Erstok

*Over clocking is a waste of time and energy.

agreed:D

*Liquid cooling is useless and only morons buy it.

not always.  I can make a justification for liquid cooling the GPU due to space limitations.  there are some closed circuit liquid cooling solutions out there that would allow for a single slot cooling solution even on some very hot cards.  if for any reason you need to use the pcie 1x slot that they put next to the vid card's, there is a possibility that liquid is your solution

*Most a computer needs at the moment is dual core. Quad core works but anything over 3ghz for dual or quad core is useless and serves no functionality or purpose.

however, games are being designed with multicore awareness.  it may not benefit you today, but it might benefit you greatly next year or the year after depending on your taste in games.

*Ram, Video Card, and Processing speed work hand and hand for better more fluent gameplay.

thats understood:D  thats why people come to sites like this seeking quizzy's advice.  mismatched parts are a waste of $

*Don't waste money on over bloated gaming cards. Most you need right now is 8800-9800 1ghz card(gaming computers are over priced and over powered in a market with software and games that at most need 2ghz pc, 2gigs of ram, and 512-1ghz card).

agreed, however i donno about the 8800/9800 part:D  they are awfully hot cards:D  maybe get something with a few generations of die shrink?:D

*Laptops are stupid and useless for people who sit on their bums all day. Less your on your feet and working a job or going to school and require a laptop don't bother with it, cost more and can't be upgraded.

thats why you buy APU based laptops:D

*Most importantly, RESEARCH. Get a computer that functions best for you.

thats the whole point of them coming here seeking advice:D

• DragimDragim Member UncommonPosts: 867

Well, I processed the above order, but was unable to purchase at the moment due to the cap of outgoing money on my bank account so my order is currently in limbo.

Is there something vital I should change then?  Going to the bank today to change my outgoing money limit, but I canceled my current order so I have to replace it, (though I have all the items saved).  Will check back here in a bit.

I am entitled to my opinions, misspellings, and grammatical errors.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Originally posted by Erstok
    *Over clocking is a waste of time and energy.*Liquid cooling is useless and only morons buy it.*Most a computer needs at the moment is dual core. Quad core works but anything over 3ghz for dual or quad core is useless and serves no functionality or purpose.*Ram, Video Card, and Processing speed work hand and hand for better more fluent gameplay. *Don't waste money on over bloated gaming cards. Most you need right now is 8800-9800 1ghz card(gaming computers are over priced and over powered in a market with software and games that at most need 2ghz pc, 2gigs of ram, and 512-1ghz card).

I think you need to step back out from 2005. Quite a bit has changed. Welcome to the future.

Originally posted by psyclum
    well, i was thinking more along the lines of futureproofing his investment.  with zambezi and sandybridge E, they are both hotter chips.(donno by how much), but as time progress, the trend has always been hotter chips.  Komodo is likely going to be a hotter chip then zambezi and i'm sure ivybridge would be clocked high enough to eat up as much power as sandybridge E or more.   it's more of a historical trend then anything. 

Actually, in the past 4-5 years or so, the trend has actually been cooler chips. The emphasis has shifted away from clockspeed and FLOPS to TDP and Power per FLOP. Think back to the Pentium 4's, and compare that to anything in the Core line. Intel (and AMD) have made huge advances in lowering power consumption (both via die shrinks, and via technology like power gating and dynamic clocking), while continuing to advance performance.

And with technologies like power gating and TurboBoost, chips today run cooler on average than chips from past generations: they can underclock when able, they can shut off cores not in use, they can drop down to as low as <1% of their maximum power draw and still function for light computing tasks. That all adds up to cooler and quieter PC's. Sure, if you go and load it up to 100% on all cores it's going to spin up and put out some heat, but under typical use (even gaming) it's extremely rare to do that.

Chips within the last 3-4 generations have all been designed to run in a common thermal envelope, for most desktop CPU's that's been between ~90-150W depending on the die.

Now if you overclock, all bets are off, and those TDP numbers get thrown out the window. But at stock clocks, and even for tame overclocks, chips aren't getting any hotter, or putting out any more heat. They are now being tamed by that magical TDP setpoint, and that has kept them more or less constant since about the introduction of the Core series.

All that said, I think there is something positive in buying a solid aftermarket cooler: personally I'll pay extra for one that runs quieter while giving solid performance. I spent a ton on my current cooling setup just so it would run quiet while still performing well under moderate overclocks. And there is a "piece of mind" component to that equation - if you spend the money for something like a Noctura or a Corsair Hydro or a Kuhler or what have you, you know your covered for pretty much whatever you want to do with that CPU (so long as it fits on your motherboard and in your case).

He's gettng an SSD.  There's no need for a ramdrive.

There are some merits to a RAMdrive, mainly with internet security (there is no better way to make sure those cookies go away than to put them in a RAMDrive). But for gaming, it's pretty pointless. And with a SSD, the RAMDrive speed doesn't feel that dramatic any more.

• DragimDragim Member UncommonPosts: 867

Just wanted to say a final thanks for everyone's input in the thread.  I have went ahead and ordered everything from newegg, I did switch a few parts out for some others and am looking forward to getting it next week sometime.

So thanks again everyone!

I am entitled to my opinions, misspellings, and grammatical errors.

solid build.  the only things i'd change is that cpu heatsink to something bigger and the hat to a EVGA hat:D