Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is Guild Wars Addictive?

GoolickGoolick Member Posts: 9

I don't wanna get addicted to it like I did Conquer Online and Everquest...

Comments

• nephillimnephillim Member Posts: 291

So try and muster a bit of willpower for once in your life then.

[we need a worldwide genocide/ a planetary suicide/ and when the whole damned world is dead/ there''s your f***ing peace]

• IcoGamesIcoGames Member Posts: 2,360

Not imo, which is a good thing.

Ico
    Oh, cruel fate, to be thusly boned. Ask not for whom the bone bones. It bones for thee.

• VotanVotan Member UncommonPosts: 291

Not for me.  It is a very good game you can play at your own pace.

• ganon89ganon89 Member Posts: 40

yes it is addictive, with the wide variety of things to do in the game and with the pvp it makes it very fun, which leads to addiction imo.::::02::

• emdtemdt Member Posts: 325

pvp is so annyoing to gain fame that im addict to it and kept on trying

my fame still sucks thouhg....45....

---------------------------------------------
    *characters*
    Guild Wars
    -Danish Kokor-lvl 20 monk/mesmer
    -Ettarde Aoi- lvl 7 warrior/ranher
    Maple Story
    -Danish-lvl30 Hunter
    -kokore-lvl8 Mage
    Runescape
    -Lady Ettarde-lvl 58

• BobiinBobiin Member Posts: 198

Originally posted by nephillim

So try and muster a bit of willpower for once in your life then.

heh

--Nyture, Arc Convoker of fironia vie server (EQ) --Retired--
    -- Nytur 39 Conjuror of Lucan D'lere (Quit due to low populations)
    -- Currently playing WoW while waiting for vanguard
    Explorer 66%
    Socializer 60%
    Killer 53%
    Achiever 20%

PLEASE SOE MAKE A CLASSIC EQ SERVER. Shadow of luclin was a prick in EQs side. PoP Was a gun to the face.

• KiamdeKiamde Member CommonPosts: 5,820

Yeah, sure, it is addictive for the first two weeks. After that, you need a big break.::::35::

"Whoever controls the media controls the mind..-'Jim Morrison"

"When decorum is repression, the only dignity free men have is to speak out." ~Abbie Hoffman

• holycannoliholycannoli Member Posts: 236

No it's not addictive. I haven't logged in in over 3 weeks.

I'm not the biggest fan of arena-based pvp when it's the only kind of pvp there is. The pve is a competely separate entity.

Maybe the next expansion will change this. I like pvp as part of my pve and taking place in the same areas, much like mmorpg's.

• tablotablo Member UncommonPosts: 40

guild wars is very addictive as most mmorpgs as i see it.::::31::::::35::::::01::

• Oph8Oph8 Member Posts: 177

It's okay, not really addictive (IMHO) it does make a good side game to play if you get bored of playing WoW or EQ2.

"Everything is mine and your woman too"

• Matt7331Matt7331 Member Posts: 33

This is the Worst game i have ever pkayed in my life!

• BlittzzBlittzz Member Posts: 261

Originally posted by Matt7331

This is the Worst game i have ever pkayed in my life!

dude...learn how to spell played, and your probably just another WoW fanboi tryin to make GW look bad

anyways, isnt very addictive imo, it'll get boring after awhile

98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.

• gunnythokgunnythok Member Posts: 268

It's addictive until you realise that your hard work isn't rewarded enough.  No matter how hard you work, you're only as good as the noobs with bots.  The arenas were fun even though it comes down to who has the most warrior monks or elementalist monks. Hell there is a Korean team that consists of nothing but elementalist monks that coordinate their attacks so they all hit one opponent with chain lightning at the same time and it frags the whole team in one to two shots.  Effective, but completely against the idea of balance that the game seems to be created from. 

I burnt out after a month.  Not long term game material.  Hell, Diablo 2 had better longevity for online play than this.  I played D2 for 5 months straight at least 5 days a week before I burnt.

• _myko_myko Member Posts: 333

Originally posted by strikein
    It's addictive until you realise that your hard work isn't rewarded enough. No matter how hard you work, you're only as good as the noobs with bots. The arenas were fun even though it comes down to who has the most warrior monks or elementalist monks.

arenas = pointless IMO

all the PvP is tombs or GvG, where single class builds can be effective for a bit but quickly become useless. The easiest defence against spike builds is protective spirit, plus one or two mesmers wreak havok amongst a caster only build. Not to mention skills like obsidian flesh and spell breaker. There are counters for everything, the people that 'complain' about builds are the ones that follow the cookie cutter builds instead of coming up with their own. You also get the 'healing ball' monk build, the minion army necro build, as well as a whole lot of mixed builds.

as for 'hard work not being rewarded', what hard work exactly? The entire PvE part of the game is pretty damn easy (and fun IMO), it's not hard at all to get max damage stuff, you might miss out on +1 strength or whatever, but it doesn't make a huge difference. The fact that a 'noob with bots' has a chance against you means GW relies on player and team skill far more than most MMO's where level is important.

Time spent playing the game /= teh win.

---sig---

PvE in general is pretty lame, if you think long and hard about it. You are spending your time beating a severely gimped AI that would lose to a well trained monkey. Best not to think too long and hard why you are wasting time playing games in general actually...

• Fantom18Fantom18 Member Posts: 296
    It is addictive at first but you can burn yourself out easily and then its jus a disc sittin there an it sux. Oh well Il play HL2 some more.

It is sad that someone would cut off their ability to meet a good portion of the world because of their ignorance against other people - Fantom

• gunnythokgunnythok Member Posts: 268

Originally posted by _myko

Originally posted by strikein
    It's addictive until you realise that your hard work isn't rewarded enough. No matter how hard you work, you're only as good as the noobs with bots. The arenas were fun even though it comes down to who has the most warrior monks or elementalist monks.

arenas = pointless IMO

all the PvP is tombs or GvG, where single class builds can be effective for a bit but quickly become useless. The easiest defence against spike builds is protective spirit, plus one or two mesmers wreak havok amongst a caster only build. Not to mention skills like obsidian flesh and spell breaker. There are counters for everything, the people that 'complain' about builds are the ones that follow the cookie cutter builds instead of coming up with their own. You also get the 'healing ball' monk build, the minion army necro build, as well as a whole lot of mixed builds.

as for 'hard work not being rewarded', what hard work exactly? The entire PvE part of the game is pretty damn easy (and fun IMO), it's not hard at all to get max damage stuff, you might miss out on +1 strength or whatever, but it doesn't make a huge difference. The fact that a 'noob with bots' has a chance against you means GW relies on player and team skill far more than most MMO's where level is important.

Time spent playing the game /= teh win.

Perhaps it seems harder as I was trying to enjoy it.  I really tried, and at first I could.  Just somthing about the shortcomings.  Description on the box, sounded good, despription from the beta player I worked with sounded good.  But he's kind of a nut and he desribed it as an mmorpg as it is clearly not an mmorpg.  I think my main problem was buying it thinking it was an mmorpg instead of a linear storyline with no sense of immersion.  Don't get me wrong, I like the story, it's fun to watch, but I get the same feeling watching a good movie and not having to work to get the story.  If this was a single player rpg with online play like Diablo/Diablo 2 then I can understand having a linear story.  I know they're going to add expansions later on, and this will further expand the storyline and what stuff players can do but it won't change the way the game plays. 

I burnt out in a month, I played it alot and just got tired of it.  Really can't break it down more than that.  I've been trying to pinpoint the exact reason why I stopped enjoying it and I think it's just because it's not an mmo.  My mistake for buying it.