Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Secret World: Release and Beta Cometh!

Comments

• Kaynos1972Kaynos1972 Member Posts: 2,316

Originally posted by armoredisamu

I am liking what I have seen this far. I am gonna definitely get play this game the day it's released. Go Templars! :)

Have you ever "played" a Funcom game at launch?  You might reconsider this.   If something that we have learned from Funcom, their games at launch are unplayable and remains unplayable for a few months.

The game do looks good,  it will problably be a good game to play a year or so after lauch.

• YuuiYuui Member UncommonPosts: 723

Oh god, the butthurt people over aoc launch are STILL NOT LETTING IT GO?

Well it was funny half a year ago, but now it has already got old. Move on people, to the so called better games and better developers you believe there are.

# A GRIM, ODD, ARCANE SKY
    # ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

• EvilGeekEvilGeek Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

I rage quit AoC after the first month, it was an unplayable mess so I do understand those who doubt Funcom, there's some there from myself too. I went back to AoC some months later and spent nigh on a year having a blast in a couple of great guilds (had characters on two servers), Funcom can turn a mess around.

I'm excited by TSW for the same reasons most are, great setting, what's bound to be a great story, great character progression system and lush graphics, I also know Funcom can come up with some interesting encounters (some of the raids/dungeons have great mechanics in AoC in my opinion).

The previous failure of Funcoms games at launch is a lesson to be learned by players and them. I'm hoping that Funcom have learned theirs. I'm excited for this game more than some others, I really hope Funcom get it right because I really want to play it, am I going to go ballistic if it is a mess at launch then no, been there done that, its FC *sigh*. Will I give it another chance later? Hell yeah! They'll turn it around. If on the other hand, it launches with few bugs and in a highly playable state, I'll be a very happy man :)

Either way I'm looking forward to it :)

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977

Another $70 sizziling steak from Funcom?

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

• DelCabonDelCabon Member UncommonPosts: 258

AO was my last pre-purchase of an MMO. I am really hoping that history does not repeat itself with Secret World.  I really like everything I have read so far.

Del Cabon
    A US Army ('Just Cause') Vet and MMORPG Native formerly of Trinsic, Norath and Dereth. Currently playing LOTRO. 

• JaxaarJaxaar Member Posts: 73

is this free? or do i have to subscribe when it releases? if free: WOOOO~!!!! if not: BOOOOOOO!!!!!

• nycplayboy78nycplayboy78 Member UncommonPosts: 212

Pfft!!! Stoopid hooman....LOLCATS rulez yous all.....

• RawizRawiz Member UncommonPosts: 584

It's going to take at least 3 months and plenty of reading before I'd even consider buying a game from FC. Let's hope they keep hyping TSW up as much as they've been doing so far, they are just fishing for disappointments and much rage vol.2.

Seeing how FC goes for money grab content updates and even pay-2-win in AoC, I can't see this game having a bright future, except for those who will tolerate just about anything.

• CptAlphCptAlph Member UncommonPosts: 16

Been watching The Secret World for a long time now and will leap at a chance to beta test, as well as any opportunity to pre-order when the time comes.  ::Gush::  SO tired of sword & sorcery, which is sad considering my ancient D&D roots, so this game will fill an aching void.  Yes, I pre-ordered Star Wars, but that's ok.  If the sandbox aspect of Star Wars doesn't pan out, hopefully we can squeeze an awesome 6-12 months out of The Old Republic before the single-player RPG mechanic loses its sheen.  Then I'll be more than ready for a fresh setting, like The Secret World's.

Now if only some dashing young developer with tons of money would come to my rescue and give us a Wild West themed MMO...  ::Swoon::  Anything like Deadlands, or even Cowboys & Aliens would do.

• saluksaluk Member Posts: 325

It's like people single AOC out as some kind of paramount bad mmo release, ignoring the fact that almost every big mmo has a poor release that fails to deliver. AoC wasn't the first, or the last, and Funcom has only had 2 bad launches. The fact that AoC is still around should tell you that Funcom at least knows how to run a game. The only difference between Funcom and the next company failing to launch their game is that funcom is more known for it for some reason.

Everyone held up AoC and WAR as the next big thing. Neither was. So what.

They've so far had 2 "failed" launches, this is their third shot. If it doesn't go well maybe it's fair to put a stigma on them. But few mmo companies even get to their third game. Blizzard has released 1 so far :)

I'm cautiously optimistic for this one, and hoping third times a charm. I'm not sure about the ARG stuff, but with Ragnar more involved in this one than the previous mmos (I don't think he did anything on AoC) I'm expecting it to be a well written and realized world, at the least. We'll all know more after the beta.

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

Until they start releasing some real gameplay footage, it's all just hype to me.  

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• lthompson94lthompson94 Member Posts: 194

I won't be playing this until at least a month or so after launch.  I've simply been burned too many times by Funcom.  They are notorious for unfinished, buggy products.

Most recently AoC (which I'll admit finally came around).  I was in the beta and thought it was SO awesome!  I got 5 friends to join on release.

Problem was, they only let you play Tortage in the beta, which was beautiful.  As soon as you hit 20ish, crap city.  If I had waited to read reports and reviews, I would have known to keep waiting for the polish.  Then maybe all my friends wouldn't have quit and left me stranded.

AO burned me BAD as well.  I mean bugs to the level of loggin in and money/items being completely gone from my character, progression erased.... No thanks Funcom.  I'll be waiting until the player reviews are in this time.  Fool me once...

• lthompson94lthompson94 Member Posts: 194

Originally posted by Yuui

Well it was funny half a year ago, but now it has already got old. Move on people, to the so called better games and better developers you believe there are.

No, people are butthurt about AO,  and AoC.  Every MMO game the've released.   And it's not just the games themselves... buggy, crap products, in addition to absolutely no customer support, billing errors and problems, you name it. 

To defend Funcom is completely assenine at this point.

I mean take a look at the complete delusion of Funcom's execs and Level 3 -

http://www1.level3.com/downloads/Funcom_Case_Study.pdf

Anybody with half a brain will wait until after launch to go anywhere near this game.  They haven't even realeased gameplay footage... no they're going to beta?  Lol at least they are DOING a beta this time I guess...

• Shadows59Shadows59 Member Posts: 47

Will be signing up again for beta as soon as possible...even if I have to stay up all night, C an't wait to play this game. Always love a good storyline and puzzles thrown int ehmix are all teh better for me. Add the fact I can build a character teh way I want to without having any restrictions at all and I'm in.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

Originally posted by lthompson94

Anybody with half a brain will wait until after launch to go anywhere near this game.  They haven't even realeased gameplay footage... no they're going to beta?  Lol at least they are DOING a beta this time I guess...

Actually they have released plenty of gameplay footage, including a full dungeon run.

• WreckoniingWreckoniing Member UncommonPosts: 279

do people honestly believe they havnt shown any gameplay footage? RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT.....

• RubrubgrrRubrubgrr Member UncommonPosts: 75

oh rofl let the haters hate its only going to be there loss. This game has had 110% love and affection liberaly applied all over for many many moons now. Now Rag and the crew know exactly how NOT to release a game after AO and AoC's serious lack of polish, content, pvp fubars etc etc.

So based on this there is a better chance of these guys getting it right from the get go than many other titles that are coming our way in the next 12 months  . There are plenty of game play vids and dev diaries to check out and they have been there for months now.

I almost pity the haters, when did they become so jaded and deluded? Why do they even bother gaming anymore? They should just take there sulky bats and balls and go home. Lets face it what do they contribute to the gaming community except hate and negativity?

But forgive me i digress, i wish Rag and his motley crew all the best and cant wait for this release. Two big thumbs up for TSW

• RubrubgrrRubrubgrr Member UncommonPosts: 75

Originally posted by lthompson94

Originally posted by Yuui

No, people are butthurt about AO,  and AoC.  Every MMO game the've released.   And it's not just the games themselves... buggy, crap products, in addition to absolutely no customer support, billing errors and problems, you name it. 

To defend Funcom is completely assenine at this point.

I mean take a look at the complete delusion of Funcom's execs and Level 3 -

http://www1.level3.com/downloads/Funcom_Case_Study.pdf

come on mate how pig ignorant are you? lol you obviously have no idea what you are talking about in regards to this game. Have you even looked at the website or plethora of dev diaries, game play vids etc etc ?? So back in ya box lil fella take ur bat n ball and play elswhere

• RabbiFangRabbiFang Member Posts: 149

I don't play either, but AO and AoC are two of the best MMOs I have played in the past 12 years. Both did things differently when they were launched.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

looking forward to this one :)

Loved both AO and AOC..

YEs both had bad launches but in the end they worked out great :)

• GMan3GMan3 Member CommonPosts: 2,127

Originally posted by Vhaln 

Until they start releasing some real gameplay footage, it's all just hype to me.  

I admit to being intrigued by this game, but I have to agree with Vhaln here.

"If half of what you tell me is a lie, how can I believe any of it?"

• AkaisAkais Member UncommonPosts: 274

Funcom makes great games.

They, historically, have had very rocky starts though. That said, it's important to remember that for both AO and AoC, the person deciding when to launch was the same guy (not using his name). While that fellow can visualize a great game, I don't think he was quite effective on the implementation side. The party in question left the company (that he helped found) soon after AoC got panned by the players as being a horrible product.

I have no doubts that this game will be great. Funcom makes great games.

The question for me is whether Tornquist can make it a great game at launch.

I'll say this for the vision though... It's the only game that appears to take advantage of the surreal folding of the real and virtual worlds since the .Hack series and while probably not next gen, it's definitely got the benefit of being unique ( I don't count Second Life as that game is like a creepy version of The Sims).

I'll definitely play it, but will wait a month or so after launch.

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

Originally posted by dbstylin34

do people honestly believe they havnt shown any gameplay footage? RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT.....

Could you be any less helpful?  I checked youtube, can't find anything except that one vid of the girl with the sledgehammer, which they're showing again at Gamescon - makes me even more wary that they just have that one canned clip to show.  If you know of anything else, give us a link or two, or your comment just looks asinine.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• abyss610abyss610 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,131

30 min video there with devs explaining whats going on...

• abyss610abyss610 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,131

one of the coolest things i saw in the 30 min video i linked was them talking about investigation missions. where they use real life people,places,items (paintings in the example) and we gotta google them and try to figure out the clues ourselves no big shiney item to pick up or ! driving us around in their little short bus because they think a quest is too advanced for us to do ourselves.