Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I like to heal...

randomdude7randomdude7 Member Posts: 124

...but I hate WoW now.

Anyone know of a game where I can get my fix for healing, but also be a part of a world worth exploring and a non zombified community once again?

"I don't have anything funny to say, now. I'm Tsukasa. I'm Tsukasa." ~Tsukasa

UDK 3rd person action game camera tutorial

Comments

• astoriaastoria Member UncommonPosts: 1,677

My favorite games for healing are

Rift - lots of different ways to heal, melee, ranged, AoE v. single target, and healers aren't gimped for fighting either.

City of Heroes - even more ways to heal and you tend to have another role beyond healing like buffing or debuffing.

Warhammer - classes are more restricted than those two, but I found it fun and you cant beat the massive PvP and frantic nature of healing a dozen people.

"Never met a pack of humans that were any different. Look at the idiots that get elected every couple of years. You really consider those guys more mature than us? The only difference between us and them is, when they gank some noobs and take their stuff, the noobs actually die." - Madimorga

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301

Originally posted by randomdude7

...but I hate WoW now.

Anyone know of a game where I can get my fix for healing, but also be a part of a world worth exploring and a non zombified community once again?

Everquest 2 has fun healers, you can play the pay to play one (everquest 2 live) or the free to play one (everquest 2 extended). I started loving being a healer on this game.

• VarthanderVarthander Member UncommonPosts: 466

warhammer absolutely, massive healing from the very beggining.

• LashleyLashley Member UncommonPosts: 587

LotRO

• omega78omega78 Member UncommonPosts: 260

Final Fantasy XI has some quite satisfying healing jobs. The most popular being White Mage and Red Mage. You'll be needed everywhere as either of them, and as a Red Mage, you will have multiple uses. You can also try Scholar (my personal favorite) and then you will be like a Black Mage/White Mage combo, with limitations of course, but in some cases you can out-do Black Mages. Also, the job Dancer has unique ways to heal as well... I would look into it deeply before you go in though. The game wasn't exactly newbie friendly before, and now it has changed in many ways. Well, if you do pick to play it, I hope you enjoy.

• DestryrDestryr Member Posts: 43

I started healing on Rift and loved it. But also as a cleric it seemed i was limited to other options. So now I roll a rouge marksmen for damage.

• AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854

Originally posted by omega78

Final Fantasy XI has some quite satisfying healing jobs. The most popular being White Mage and Red Mage. You'll be needed everywhere as either of them, and as a Red Mage, you will have multiple uses. You can also try Scholar (my personal favorite) and then you will be like a Black Mage/White Mage combo, with limitations of course, but in some cases you can out-do Black Mages. Also, the job Dancer has unique ways to heal as well... I would look into it deeply before you go in though. The game wasn't exactly newbie friendly before, and now it has changed in many ways. Well, if you do pick to play it, I hope you enjoy.

+1 for FFXI. Not sure OP would like it, but still.

• JimmacJimmac Member UncommonPosts: 1,660

...but I hate WoW now.

A templar in EQ2 is, in my opinion, the funnest healing class yet to be designed. I've never liked healing before, but that class was a blast. 

The gameworld however isn't designed for exploration, and the community is probably more zombified than not, or at least 50/50. So it's a tough call on whether I could really recommend EQ2 to you. 

The 2nd problem is that very few mmorpg game worlds are designed for exploration and adventure. EQ2 zones have quests that will take you to each part of the zone, in order, and going anywhere in advance (ie leaving the tracks before you're supposed to) is both pointless and unrewarding. The zones are designed not for exploration and adventure, but rather are designed for the exact opposite: handrails and rollercoasters. 

Most triple A mmo zones will follow that same EQ2 style. Warhammer is even worse than EQ2 about it. 

If you don't mind trying an older game or a game that is less developed, I would check out DAOC or Vanguard. Both good communities, have healing, and provide opportunities for adventure and exploration. Both have other problems, or at least downsides, as well. Also maybe check out Ryzom, Final Fantasy 11 if you have ultra patience for the UI and how old it feels, Ultima Online if you are super old school.

Last but not least, check out Everquest 1 on Fippy Darkpaw. There are still many adventures and exploration to be had on that server. The community seems to be about 50% cool people and 50% sucky. It has some basic healing classes, and since xp is gained mostly through camping, exploration and adventure are almost a necessity. 

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

...but I hate WoW now.

Wait a little while longer for Tera

Priest:   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wt5EYauh2Zk

Mystic:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrN9XT1a6Tk&feature=related

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• randomdude7randomdude7 Member Posts: 124

Thx for the suggestions, Ill look into those, but anyone have anymore?

• threeshrubsthreeshrubs Member Posts: 8

Thx for the suggestions, Ill look into those, but anyone have anymore?

Why not give Ryzom a try. The game is now free to play upto level 125.

The greatest thing about Ryzom is that your not limited to just being a healer.. you can play any role and also create your own skills(actions/powers).

The world is huge and there is always sights to see. The game has been pretty low population untill the free got released and the number of people playing has raised a hell of alot. The game is quite complex to learn at first, so if you do give it a try, send a /tell to Ixolite or Chizeta and we would be more than happy to show you some of the sights and give you a helping hand with your new adventures on Atys.

• MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,786

Vanguard has the best healing I have seen in any game.  Low pop though.

β€œIt's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin

/bumpity bump

• feiritedfeirited Member Posts: 57

I must say Lotro... Some different way of healing... =) Everquest 2 is good choice too =)

• kolsovokolsovo Member Posts: 74

It's already been suggested, but again I wanna note Warhammer. There's three basic types of healers thar-

A) Melee Healer: As a melee healer (Warrior Priest or Disciple of Khaine) you are always on the frontlines of battle! You swing your massive battle-hammer/slice the air with your dual blades to build up your healing power, and once doing so you release massive amounts of magical healing!

B) Regular Healer: By this I just mean you kinda stay in the back and such (Zealot or Runepriest). You can, however, activate a spell that'll turn your healing stats into dps, instantly making you a damager!

C) DPS Healer: This type (Shaman or Archmage) is kinda like the melee healer, in that they cast damage spells to increase their healing power, and healing spells to the opposite. Unlike the melee healer, however, the DPS healer's spells are ranged.

So yeah, those are Warhammer's 3 healing types. Personally, I play a Zealot and methinks its fun as hell.

The answer is 42 you idiot!

• bleyzwunbleyzwun Member UncommonPosts: 1,087

The only games i really enjoyed playing a healer was WAR and DCUO.  Then again, I'm usually not the healer type.  The reason I liked WAR's healing was because you can have an enemy target + friendly target.  This way you can attack + heal and pay a little less attention to bars.  DCUO heals were for the most part AOE. This allows you to pay more attention to the game not bars. 

See I like healing best when I'm healing for people I like. The mechanics don't matter, so I guess can we turn this discussion more toward which of these games have the best communities. I honestly didn't expect so many suggestions so I'm not sure which ones to try now :P

• poythrespoythres Member Posts: 68

LOTRO community was generally good, and the minstrel is kind of a fun twist on healing (it's overall a pretty standard mechanic, more mobile than some other games though, and you get to strum a lute, for extra flair ;))

Also, if you're not familiar with the /music system, and downloading ABC music files to play in-game for your own and others' enjoyment.. that's also worth quite a bit of fun. (Though completely unrelated to healing.) I can't figure out why more games haven't done /music - I used to hang out for a couple hours with guildies just playing different songs in a group and chatting. :)

Also when I played LOTRO, grouping was 'encouraged' for a lot of content - I don't know if this has changed, I know they revamped some of the zones. But even at low-ish levels like 15-20 there were some pretty group-centric quest hub areas with plenty of player activity which was nice as a healer.

bumpity