Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild wars, your opinion?

FF_TitanFF_Titan Member Posts: 6

Well i was thinking of getting the game but i was wondering what its like from a players view (no matter how long u played it), im wondering:

1) Is the roleplay good?

2) Whats the battle system like?

3) What is the character creating system like?

please answer i really want it but im not sure what its like.

Comments

• ReidanReidan Member Posts: 12

This game often get ditched by some people because:

1)It's not WoW, dear fanboys...

2)You can only go up to level 20, sad...

3)People think too many people likes the game and therefore wants to be different and dislike it ( I named this the "Halo" syndrom).

In fact, I'm sure just about any RPG players would -love- that game. Yeah it's true, It's not really an mmorpg since you get your very own copy of the world once you leave the town. But my answer to that is: So what ?!. Is it really that bad that you don't meet "surprises" guests as you are outside town? I'd say bring the people you like with you from town, and the gameplay is just as good.

Now to answer your questions:

1)This game is pretty much a down to earth game. You won't see alot of people Roleplaying around since you only meet online people in towns. But the roleplaying, gamewise, element is flawless. Actualy, GuildWars is like an Single player game... Online! You get to travel around the world, discovering new towns, doing COUNTLESS (literaly) quests, and even co-op missions with a really deep storyline writen by people from the Diablo and Baldur's Gate team. You won't be bored with this.

2)Now lots of ditchers complain that this game is -all- PvP like counter-strike, and that you got a level 20 max (how lame is that!). I say that they are completly wrong. When you create your character, you get the choice in creating a RP character, where you follow a storyline and roam a world, like in Baldur's Gate, and a PvP character where you only do Versus match (like Counter Strike). That said, those morons must have only played the PvP section and thought it was the actual game. That also said, I didn't do a single PvP match yet, played over a month and I'm still not done with the RP section. The Battle System is pretty much like the classic mmorpg, you clic and you fight but with a little twist. First of all, the combats are accelerated compared to others mmorpg. Your character wacks and shoot a little bit faster which means the combats last between 15 to 30 seconds. Your level will max at level 20, that is true, but the customization of your skills and equipment (Via runes and customization) is almost endless. You get close to 150 skills depending of your class combinaison! Each skill is different and allows you to have a strategic grasp of the battle your currently having. When the battle is over, you can wait a few seconds for all your HP to recover, instead of sitting and waiting.

3)The character creation system is really... average. You get to choose the face, the color of the skin, the color of the hair and the height/weight of the character alltogether. It's still better than Lineage II, but could have been better. The fact that you can use dyes on your clothes and armors (kind of like Ultima Online) and even on your weapons and shield kinda help you look different than the others. What literaly make you different is the guild cape: once you have a guild you can totaly design the cape you wish to have from its shape to patterns.

IMO: Buy that game! It's free to play monthly and gives you lots of fun. If you ever wanted to play a Single Player RPG with thousands and thousands of people: Guild Wars is just for you. Don't listen to those that says it's -only- PVP, the play through is just  as stuffed as the PVP section, if not more!

• FF_TitanFF_Titan Member Posts: 6

Originally posted by Reidan

This game often get ditched by some people because:
    1)It's not WoW, dear fanboys...
    2)You can only go up to level 20, sad...
    3)People think too many people likes the game and therefore wants to be different and dislike it ( I named this the "Halo" syndrom).
    In fact, I'm sure just about any RPG players would -love- that game. Yeah it's true, It's not really an mmorpg since you get your very own copy of the world once you leave the town. But my answer to that is: So what ?!. Is it really that bad that you don't meet "surprises" guests as you are outside town? I'd say bring the people you like with you from town, and the gameplay is just as good.
    Now to answer your questions:
    1)This game is pretty much a down to earth game. You won't see alot of people Roleplaying around since you only meet online people in towns. But the roleplaying, gamewise, element is flawless. Actualy, GuildWars is like an Single player game... Online! You get to travel around the world, discovering new towns, doing COUNTLESS (literaly) quests, and even co-op missions with a really deep storyline writen by people from the Diablo and Baldur's Gate team. You won't be bored with this.
    2)Now lots of ditchers complain that this game is -all- PvP like counter-strike, and that you got a level 20 max (how lame is that!). I say that they are completly wrong. When you create your character, you get the choice in creating a RP character, where you follow a storyline and roam a world, like in Baldur's Gate, and a PvP character where you only do Versus match (like Counter Strike). That said, those morons must have only played the PvP section and thought it was the actual game. That also said, I didn't do a single PvP match yet, played over a month and I'm still not done with the RP section. The Battle System is pretty much like the classic mmorpg, you clic and you fight but with a little twist. First of all, the combats are accelerated compared to others mmorpg. Your character wacks and shoot a little bit faster which means the combats last between 15 to 30 seconds. Your level will max at level 20, that is true, but the customization of your skills and equipment (Via runes and customization) is almost endless. You get close to 150 skills depending of your class combinaison! Each skill is different and allows you to have a strategic grasp of the battle your currently having. When the battle is over, you can wait a few seconds for all your HP to recover, instead of sitting and waiting.
    3)The character creation system is really... average. You get to choose the face, the color of the skin, the color of the hair and the height/weight of the character alltogether. It's still better than Lineage II, but could have been better. The fact that you can use dyes on your clothes and armors (kind of like Ultima Online) and even on your weapons and shield kinda help you look different than the others. What literaly make you different is the guild cape: once you have a guild you can totaly design the cape you wish to have from its shape to patterns.
    IMO: Buy that game! It's free to play monthly and gives you lots of fun. If you ever wanted to play a Single Player RPG with thousands and thousands of people: Guild Wars is just for you. Don't listen to those that says it's -only- PVP, the play through is just  as stuffed as the PVP section, if not more!

Cool, it sounds like my type of game, thanks i'll keep all that in mind and wont listen to the stupid people who think its boring
  • cdeepalcdeepal Member UncommonPosts: 148
    Well, the game sucks. No more comments.
  • tablotablo Member UncommonPosts: 40

its better then world of warcraft actually cus i own both...well actually they r about the same but still guild wars i would hav to go with a lil bit more::::31::::::32::::::17::::::39:::::::35::

• chicken3000chicken3000 Member Posts: 8

Originally posted by tsukae

its better then world of warcraft actually cus i own both...well actually they r about the same but still guild wars i would hav to go with a lil bit more::::31::::::32::::::17::::::39:::::::35::

if they're almost the same, then couldn't you explain the small factor about GW that you like better?

as of now, WoW, but I still don't own GW, just judging from what I know now.

• Matt7331Matt7331 Member Posts: 33

One word suckage

• KiamdeKiamde Member CommonPosts: 5,820

If you want the opinions of others, scroll down 5 posts and see the other repetitive topics that other impatient people post.

"Whoever controls the media controls the mind..-'Jim Morrison"

"When decorum is repression, the only dignity free men have is to speak out." ~Abbie Hoffman

• Asmodeus_Asmodeus_ Member Posts: 223

Guild wars.. it's good and bad, it doesnt feel fantastic, it's nice to use as a 'try-out' but dont actual think this game will be your nr1 game that you will play alot. It's a good game, but not great or fantasic.
    It's a great option to playthis game as your second mmorpg you play, coz this one is free, and use less time on this one since lvl doesnt really matter in this case its easy and pretty quick earned the lvl.

Only if you are very determined you 'force' urself to like it you will actually like it but if you play other 'top' tittles rather skip buying this as you will keep playing and choose to keep playhing the 'top' tittles you have, fe: wow or coh instead of gw, this is no flame just simply.. a fast way to express myh thoughts on how much you will actually like it

• SeanConnerySeanConnery Member UncommonPosts: 34

What you must relize is that this game is a Player Vs Player game. Take it like a bowl of chicken noodle soup. PvP would be the noodles, and the scarce pieces of chicken: that is the PvE

The game is great...if you are really into PvP.  But don't look to this game for depth, take it for what it is.

• Matt7331Matt7331 Member Posts: 33

Let me tell u what i think i think this game is boring!::::12:: it is so dome. there is so much kag.Its not even an mmo.It's enviroments are shitty.U are limited to lvl 20 only at max.My advise is to get WoW if u cant pay for the fee get ffxi its only 12 dollars a month thats a great game for advanced people like me its preety hard for begginers.

• BobCrazytonBobCrazyton Member UncommonPosts: 2,117

Originally posted by Matt7331

Let me tell u what i think i think this game is boring!::::12:: it is so dome. there is so much kag.Its not even an mmo.It's enviroments are shitty.U are limited to lvl 20 only at max.My advise is to get WoW if u cant pay for the fee get ffxi its only 12 dollars a month thats a great game for advanced people like me its preety hard for begginers.

Matt I highley doubt your an advanced MMO player if you think GW sux.

My opinion:

If you're a casual player get GW

If you're more than casual but less than hardcore get WoW

If you're hardcore get FF XI.

• JamesLouJamesLou Member Posts: 3

i agree with Bob

• TawnTawn Member Posts: 14

Originally posted by Matt7331

Hilarious!  Notice how those who flame Guild Wars dont exactly give well thought out reasoning?

Now let me just say, GW is a great game..   I havent yet played WoW - but I have a sneaking suspicion that I will enjoy it more.  Like anything it depends on what youre looking for.

As for the particular criticisms above: no lag..  lol.. you have to be kidding..  GW is incredibly stable..  no downtime for updates too..  The above writer must have had his eyes closed when he was playing GW.. the graphics are beautiful.

The lvl 20 thing..  well really..  what difference does it make if the lvl cap is 20, 50, 60 or 200???  Once you reach the cap.. you are capped out.  If anything a lower cap indicates less level grinding.  GW has none and is a major plus point.  PvP is easily within reach for casual players.

As for roleplay, whilst the zoning may spoil some peoples RP, the missions and quests are so involved and fun.. and with a decent storyline..  that the RP aspect is miles ahead of other games.  However, you might find the community GW gathers is less focussed on RP than in other games.

Let me be fair and say that WoW and traditional MMORPG's do have things which GW sorely lacks.  For a game that purports to be about 'Guild' Wars..   im less than impressed with guilds..  though I dont doubt theyll add to this aspect of the game in the future.  It seems anyone can create a guild easily..  and so you get dumb guilds with 2-3 players..  lol..  and generally guilds walking around with no real 'theme' or 'cause' to motivate the guild.  Theres a guild hall which currently does little except act as a place to conduct guild vs guild battles.. but even then a limit of 8 people.

Which takes me to other areas..  forget raids.  :(  There are no factions as such..  and with a limit of 8 people per side, no mass-PvP battles..  there was talk of expanding size restraints to allow larger PvP..   but still the main problem is that it is essentially 'controlled'.  I really enjoyed going on raids or sieging a castle in DAoC..   even better was defending a castle against unfair odds..  a lot of fun... 

Finally theres no crafting in GW. (Yeah theres 'crafting'..   but there isnt CRAFTING)  Whilst crafting is nothing more than a grind in MMORPG's.. im confident that sometime in the future we will see more complex and enjoyable crafting..  (everyone should play demo of 'A Tale in the Desert')  Guildwars is definitely not setup in this way..   its more like Diablo 2 than MMORPG's..  but far far better in every way than D2.

GW is definitely an EXCEPTIONAL game.. no doubt.  However, if you go in expecting a social environment like DAoC or WoW etc..  you will be dissapointed.  If you go in expecting a fun game which plays a little like a single player game..  but on one massive network..  then youll be in heaven.

• cyrdaancyrdaan Member Posts: 60

Originally posted by cdeepal
    Well, the game sucks. No more comments.

How about giving a reason why it is bad instead of just saying it sucks. I hate these morons, these 12 year olds, who say this but have nothing to back up. Obviously they have never written an essay because then they would know that you must have something to back up your opinion and not just saying "this game sucks". I would say more about how great this game is but I don't have the time becasue I have to go to work. I will write more about it later.
  • Asmodeus_Asmodeus_ Member Posts: 223

Nice. But sucks for a mmorpg tittle