Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pool: Should Lightsabers be instakill?

So, I've seen people discusing this here and there.

I want to know what everyone thinks about it.

I say that for a video game, having a weapon that can kill anyone with a single hit, and even cut a tank in half, be it in PvP or PvE, does not work.

Oh, and also, there is this article at Wookieepidia about lightsabers. Have a read. Kinda fun.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Lightsaber

Edit: Ja ja! Sorry I misspelled ~POLL~ I'm from a spanish speaking country, so this happens often. Even so, i'm gonna leave it as POOL just to have a chuckle ^_^

Edit #2: Just to clarify, cause I feel a bit attacked:

I DO NOT THINK THAT ANY WEAPON IN AN MMORPG SHOULD 1-HIT ANYTHING.

I'm perfectly happy with my plate wearing tank who can stand in front of a fire breathing dragon and just walk out with -1,000 HP less from the 50,000 HP I had before he spew hot lave over me, instead of melting my entire being into a stain in the ground.

I just wanted to know what people think about this issue. Just as many people pointed out, these are games. The fun thing about them is that they are not attached to the laws of physics and biology that prevent us from running around the house with scissors.

Comments

• JimmacJimmac Member UncommonPosts: 1,660

Why does everyone misspell poll on this website.

And yes, lightsabers should severely injure anyone they come into contact with, and insta kill if they hit the right part of the body, such as a slice through the neck. Can you imagine a 23 minute fight where you hit a monster 621 times in a row with a lightsaber on the same spot on its body and it's still going strong? 

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,178

With as hot as it is outside right now, I'm really glad you posted a pool.

• twodayslatetwodayslate Member Posts: 724

Only if that same lightsaber user is given a chance for his focus to falter and lop off one of his limbs.  It is kind of stupid to think that in a setting where force users are common enough to be walking around society intermingling with muggles (yes, I said muggles), all of them would be of sufficient mastery to have 100% control over something that would disfigure you if you even touched the blade.

• s1fu71s1fu71 Member Posts: 220

But I thought lightsabers did cause instakill.

Remember when Luke got his hand severed?

The end credits rolled and Vader laughed.

Short movie, that one...

It's not about fighting, it's about balance. It's not about enlightenment, it's about balance. It's not about balance.

• xaldraxiusxaldraxius Member Posts: 1,249

No. No more than a gun or a sword should kill with one hit. It may work that way in the movies or real life, but in a game, especially an MMO, one shot killing things and people would be boring. We can assume if the lightsaber doesn't kill a guy with one hit or slice of his arm, that it was merely a glancing blow, or was deflected partially by armor. In the movies we've seen blasters perform one shot kills too, so your chances of getting close enough to kill somebody with a lightsaber would be pretty slim, unless they made everyone terrible marksmen like in the films, which again would just be boring and frustrating.

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163

What is this I don't even?

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• Marcus-Marcus- Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

As opposed to that ion cannon the troopers are holding? 

Taking one of those to the back of the head....

• galphargalphar Member UncommonPosts: 81

It can instakill all but me in my Yorik coral Yuuzhan Vong armor. And isn't the Bounty Hunter's armor based off Madalorian Armor that Jango and Boba Fet had.  That was also able to deflect lightsiber strikes.

• StorchedStorched Member Posts: 42

Originally posted by xaldraxius

No. No more than a gun or a sword should kill with one hit. It may work that way in the movies or real life, but in a game, especially an MMO, one shot killing things and people would be boring. We can assume if the lightsaber doesn't kill a guy with one hit or slice of his arm, that it was merely a glancing blow, or was deflected partially by armor. In the movies we've seen blasters perform one shot kills too, so your chances of getting close enough to kill somebody with a lightsaber would be pretty slim, unless they made everyone terrible marksmen like in the films, which again would just be boring and frustrating.

image This. Saved my hands the trouble :D

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001

yup, this.

I mean, last time i looked a sword or gun could pretty much be an "insta kill".

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • JimmacJimmac Member UncommonPosts: 1,660

So you're in a fight for 12 minutes and you hit the mob with your lightsaber 178 times. The first 177 were glancing blows or deflected by the armor? These jedi must be nuggets off the street. 

• ZarynterkZarynterk Member UncommonPosts: 398

Originally posted by galphar

It can instakill all but me in my Yorik coral Yuuzhan Vong armor. And isn't the Bounty Hunter's armor based off Madalorian Armor that Jango and Boba Fet had.  That was also able to deflect lightsiber strikes.

Jango's didnt seem to work so well though lol...

• KalafaxKalafax Member UncommonPosts: 591

No they definitly shouldnt be, you always gotta relize we are playing in a time frame when anti-lightsaber armor isnt uncommon, people talk about the mandalorian armor alot, which is supposed to help deflect but not completly stop, but no one really talks about the Cortosis Weave armor, or Cortosis inlaid weapons that would instantly shut off a lightsaber the instant they made constant, thus making them useless.

Mess with the best, Die like the rest

• galphargalphar Member UncommonPosts: 81

Originally posted by Zarynterk

Originally posted by galphar

Jango's didnt seem to work so well though lol...

Jango's worked fine, Mace just knew where to cut and got him at the base of the helmet where it could cut. He was a Jedi MAster after all.

• azmundaiazmundai Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

You might have heard of this term called a video game. You really think plate armor is going to stop an 8 story tall stone giant from crushing you? It's a game.

This thread one shot me.

LFD tools are great for cramming people into content, but quality > quantity.
    I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)

• miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156

i love when people dont think before posting inane subjects. You think taking a fireball to the chest, or bullet, or sword, or lightsaber and insta killing you would be fun? Ummm.....no. There would be no point. By that logic one AOE would spell death for your entire party with the bad guys just humming along like a gnat just whizzed by, or any stray bullet fire in a game would cause you to be shot , wounded and/or dead without the ability to fight back.

you sit there, dead, watching your team mates each falling one at a time to a stray laser bolt. Noone can progress through any random board or mob because you all die from the magic missile aimed at you.

Yeah sounds like a heap load of fun...........

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

@OP';s question: short answer, no.

I can see the point of 'realism' and suspension of disbelief, but it just wouldn't work well in a multiplayer game imo.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• ErstokErstok Member Posts: 523

It's called fantasy and RPG and make believe and blah blah blah for a reason.

When did you start playing "old school" MMO's. World Of Warcraft?

• astoriaastoria Member UncommonPosts: 1,677

I think if you throw a lightsaber into a pool it should short out.

"Never met a pack of humans that were any different. Look at the idiots that get elected every couple of years. You really consider those guys more mature than us? The only difference between us and them is, when they gank some noobs and take their stuff, the noobs actually die." - Madimorga

• twodayslatetwodayslate Member Posts: 724

Originally posted by astoria

I think if you throw a lightsaber into a pool it should short out.

Probably good that there is no swimming in TOR then.

• SigilaeaSigilaea Member Posts: 317

I think 1-shotting with any weapon should have a very small chance of happening (0.05%).

A good game should provide ways to mitigate that, with armor, dodge techniques, etc... to make it a rare occurrence. But it would give creedence to the fear of weapons and make for an occaisonal "did you see that" moment.

If all classes have the same chance to do it, and if all classes have counter measures available to them, it would be balanced and  more emersive than seeing a bunny withstand 40 whacks from a lightsaber.

• versulasversulas Member UncommonPosts: 288

Wouldn't mind so much if this was an action game, you see 1-hit kills in fps games all the time; if you were actively controlling when and how your character dodges/parries/blocks and one wrong mistake killed you I'd be fine... but you're not, it's still tab target > "Press" 1 > Rinse & Repeat until health bar goes down...

Wouldn't work here, but you can always hope that the kinect version of clone wars we saw at E3 will get to that stage eventually =/

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

The most likely outcome of realism + lightsabers would be the people trying to use them cutting themselves into pieces. There would be body parts everywhere.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• Maj_ScienceMaj_Science Member Posts: 107

Realistically?  Yes.  Should they?  No, because then balance will go out the window.

• RagnavenRagnaven Member Posts: 483

realisticly everything if used right should be a one shot kill, a lightsaber to the hand isn't going to kill you after all. A well placed stab to the heart will, though a blaster bolt to the same area will kill you just as dead. So will a rocket, bullet, or being set on freakin fire. It's a game with health bars, you don't get one hit kills.