Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The problem i have with TSW

VerterdegeteVerterdegete Member UncommonPosts: 247

When i heard that TSW will be an MMO based on conspiracy theories i was overjoyed. I like conspiracy theories. I dont believe in them that much (but i also dont believe in picture that main stream media creates), but i find them very fun and interesting. And the idea of an MMO in the world of NWO organizations, Illuminati, Freemasons, Rotschields etc. quickly put TSW on top of my hype list.

BUT. When i saw what TSW is really about i was very disappointed. It's like they we're afraid to really grasp the idea of conspiracy theories ( i suppose in fear from being accused for Tinfoilhattism).  Instead, they made a backstory that barely even touches on what people think of when they say conspiracy theories. Actually, it more seems like a mockery of the concept mixed with Cthulhu mythos. Zombies, vampires, werewolves, El Dorado, Transylvania, Insmouth ...  WTF?

I mean, i expected what people expect form conspiracy theories based fiction. Hidden history, secret societies, war between intelligence agencies, Megacorporations, techno thriller... - and all that in OUR WORLD. Not some parallel universe where Count Dracula lives.

Huge letdown for me... Your thoughts ?

Comments

• HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,535

Yeah I got really angry when they didn't add any 9/11 (USA) stories in the game. God damn jackasses.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

There's a limit to how much like our world you could make the game and still have it be fun. Not to mention the lag in time between when things really happen and when you could get them into the game.

However, I think the idea is that it is our world and part of the conspiracy is convincing people that none of that stuff about Cthulhu or Zombies is true. It's all fiction cooked up in a Hollywood Studio.

For me, that's cool. It's enough that it's in a modern, urban setting. As for the rest of it, I think the idea is great, but we'll have to see how they execute it before passing judgement.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• FigureFigure Member Posts: 128

Not sure what conspiracy theories the OP would like, except that I think it's worth noting that a 9/11 spin is very possible considering one of the factions is headquartered in New York and the vast majority of the story for the Illuminati is still completely unspoiled.

Currently Watching: TSW. << Very Eager for a Beta invite. Have experience with Beta Testing.
    Not personally a big fan of raiding or current pve endgame mmo philosophy. Nothing wrong with it, I just sort of burnt out on it.
    Hardcore raider in wow from Launch to.. about 7 months ago.
    Currently Playing: Champions Online.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

mm i believe what were seing is the mid game stuff ,it probably isnt the start stuff.and it probably isnt the end game stuff

if you followed the whole thing it began very slowly a video about a asian feeling stalked dismiss it almost get ripped off in two

the other ias walking i a park she hear a woosh and see scarcrow feather fall >WTF?

i believe the just show snippet of each part how the gamer can hope the game will be

if you listen to all the video made from the start of this stuff in horder it will give you a pretty good idea that what you thot at first is probably the right way to go at it

at this point they re showing different stuff but they dont show how you get there what oops you got to do ,how many time you almost will die of a heart attack because of a big scare etc!

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281

Originally posted by Verterdegete

When i heard that TSW will be an MMO based on conspiracy theories i was overjoyed. I like conspiracy theories. I dont believe in them that much (but i also dont believe in picture that main stream media creates), but i find them very fun and interesting. And the idea of an MMO in the world of NWO organizations, Illuminati, Freemasons, Rotschields etc. quickly put TSW on top of my hype list.

BUT. When i saw what TSW is really about i was very disappointed. It's like they we're afraid to really grasp the idea of conspiracy theories ( i suppose in fear from being accused for Tinfoilhattism).  Instead, they made a backstory that barely even touches on what people think of when they say conspiracy theories. Actually, it more seems like a mockery of the concept mixed with Cthulhu mythos. Zombies, vampires, werewolves, El Dorado, Transylvania, Insmouth ...  WTF?

I mean, i expected what people expect form conspiracy theories based fiction. Hidden history, secret societies, war between intelligence agencies, Megacorporations, techno thriller... - and all that in OUR WORLD. Not some parallel universe where Count Dracula lives.

I think your expecting too much of this game.If your feeling let down by a game this far from release chances are its just not really the game for you. We all have our own idea of our "Perfect" MMO but reality and perfection rarely ever meet.

Now you could continue to try and rally like the SWG vets still trying to change SW:TOR into SWG 1.2 but lets face it the Developers generally already have a idea of what they are trying to create and are unlikely to change it 180 degrees mid developement because a few players state they are disappointed that its not "Thier" dream game.

Better luck next time or learn to be flexable. Experiencing a "HUGE letdown" from something thats ment to be fun can't be healthy for you

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

TSW is really more a MMO version of the old P&P game "Delta green" than based on conspiracy theories.

It have it's charms as well. I liked the video when they were shooting deep ones at least (or whatever they were).

• rpgalonrpgalon Member Posts: 430

sry but, the game isn't out, how do you know the history?

In Ragnar we trust!

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

Originally posted by winter

I think your expecting too much of this game.If your feeling let down by a game this far from release chances are its just not really the game for you. We all have our own idea of our "Perfect" MMO but reality and perfection rarely ever meet.

Now you could continue to try and rally like the SWG vets still trying to change SW:TOR into SWG 1.2 but lets face it the Developers generally already have a idea of what they are trying to create and are unlikely to change it 180 degrees mid developement because a few players state they are disappointed that its not "Thier" dream game.

Better luck next time or learn to be flexable. Experiencing a "HUGE letdown" from something thats ment to be fun can't be healthy for you

true it is funcom we re talking about after all the make of what warhammer online (the greatness itself)lol

• SiderasSideras Member Posts: 231

It was first and foremost supposed to be a horror game with lots of inspiration from Lovecraft, King and Poe. Add to that the societies.

Your foresight sucked and now you're sad, get over it. Happens to eveyone :)

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

I think it's indeed more Lovecraft and Stephen King than Dan Brown or 'Three Days of the Condor'. At least, when you look at the New England area, with Kingsmouth and such. But then again, we haven't seen much of other areas yet.

But I expected a horror/dark fantasy MMO taking place in the modern day world, and so far everything that was revealed points into that direction.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• TheCrow2kTheCrow2k Member Posts: 953

The problem I have with TSW is that Funcom is making it & they already managed to cock up AO and AoC badly at launch and for months threafter.

TSW is going to have to be very special for me to even consider it and even then it wouldnt be for 6-8 months after release.

• DietaetherDietaether Member Posts: 36

Originally posted by TheCrow2k

The problem I have with TSW is that Funcom is making it & they already managed to cock up AO and AoC badly at launch and for months threafter.

TSW is going to have to be very special for me to even consider it and even then it wouldnt be for 6-8 months after release.

Well that's an easy fix, all they have to do is stop making the game and sell it to a different company ;)

It's the first MMO of its kind in this genre. It could be made by Maxis and as long as they took the idea seriously I'd give it a shot.

• strykr619strykr619 Member UncommonPosts: 284

Then you haven't followed the game much at all then. The fact that the Illuminati is a faction should already tell you enough.  Also do you know what a conspiracy is, I'll let you on a clue, most of them are supernatual in orgin, not just some who shot kennedy, is the moon landing fake bs. (btw they are already elluded to the fact that both of these conspiracies are in the game but you would of known this if you watched some of the dev videos).

If you ever played any games made by Ragnor, he is a GREAT story teller. Have faith, if it will be good game :)