Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Slow leveling had it's own type of fun

delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,010

I so much miss vanilla WoW.  I miss leveling a new toon. 

 

As much as WoW desperately needs more classes, I still miss the old world :

-  Remember  making a new Elf and being in Teldrassil for 6 hours leveling to 10.  Every starting area had there own little cave to give the players a chance to group and try out there class like Ban'ethil Hollow or Gnarlpine Hold.  

- Then  finally being prepared to set off for Darkshore ?.............Slow leveling was fun.  Being in 10-20 level areas always had there share of level 10 quest that were easy to accomplish but they all had there harder ones along with group quest. 

- Remember the good old days where you would get off the boat in Auberdine and it would be packed with people, some dueling, others flirting.  Some one would shout for a group to fight the Gail's at Twilight Vale, and everyone would come running.

- Remember how it would take three or four days to do Darkshore, and YOU ALWAYS MADE LEVELING FRIEND, that you would stay in contact with the entire time you played that character ?

-  How about the times you would save some silver or maybe have one gold piece.  And now was the time to adventure from Menethil Harbor to Ironforge. So you can travel easer and get all your weapons abilities like pole arms, and guns. But you would always hart back to your original area like Darkshore because THATS WHERE YOUR FRIENDS WERE?

- I used to like South Shore, I used to like the danger of watching your back for Horde sneaking up on you.

- My first toon was a Rogue. I loved doing the Rogue chain quest starting in Stormwind, SI:7 I think it was called. It would eventually lead you to the secret Rogue town of Northfold Manor. finding it was a secret.

-  Around level 22 or so, I was questing by my myself minding my own business and out of no place I got a tell " would you like to go to Shadowfang Keep with us ? "....Well I had no clue and accepted. Now in a group of five, I followed and found myself in my first Dungeon. I did triable, but the group had pity on me because I was not a jerk but just learning.  I think I made a few friends that showed me how to play.

 

I could go on and on about slow leveling.  All the content is still in there but it's just not the same.  That friend you made at level 9 is now level 27 if you take just one day off.........I would get so sick of WoW and take a few months off, but only to return. Not anymore.  The game is too fast, and my account got hacked, and I don't feel like fixing it because the game is over for me anyway :)

Comments

  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,010

    Hay....How about the preparation involved in getting a group together to do Scarlet Monastery.  I would come home from work, run right to my computer, log in to find a group to meet in South Shore.  I would make sure everyone was equipped because once off on our long journey there was no turning back in Horde territory.

    Your hart would be pounding because you never knew what to expect at the entrance, some times in was easy, sometimes it was almost impossible depending on the Horde..........You just never know !

    The Graveyard, library, Armory, and Cathedral, It was a good day if you were well oiled and able to do all of Scarlet Monastery in one day.........Remember.....Now we have the dungeon finder, with it's kick a buddy feature.

  • ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969

    I don't think we will ever see those days again. I miss my guildies waiting for everyone buff up to do the Corellian Corvette in SWG.

     

    In todays WoW, people stand around in the main cities showing off their bling and talking about stupid things in chat. MMO's have become a race to max level so we can grind gear. There is no depth in todays games.

  • switch to another game mate. I have done so after 7000+ hours of WoW. I've seen the game and I may have hung around if the community wasn't rotten to it's bones by the time I left.

  • BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001

    Originally posted by page

    Hay....How about the preparation involved in getting a group together to do Scarlet Monastery.  I would come home from work, run right to my computer, log in to find a group to meet in South Shore.  I would make sure everyone was equipped because once off on our long journey there was no turning back in Horde territory.

    Your hart would be pounding because you never knew what to expect at the entrance, some times in was easy, sometimes it was almost impossible depending on the Horde..........You just never know !

    The Graveyard, library, Armory, and Cathedral, It was a good day if you were well oiled and able to do all of Scarlet Monastery in one day.........Remember.....Now we have the dungeon finder, with it's kick a buddy feature.

     Ah i remember that place m8, great times.  If levelling was DRASTICALLY slowed down then these lower than max instances would still be interesting and fun, unfortunately a large % of modern gamers dont realise that it is too expensive to develope quests that support slow levelling and these same gamers 'omg i hate grinding' all over the place, so they got what they wished for, idiots.

    rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

    Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

  • SirDerpSirDerp Member UncommonPosts: 72

    I really miss vanilla WoW. It was a lot of fun adventuring and questing, and meeting people a long the way. "Slow leveling" isn't necessarily better. The new way of leveling in WoW is terrible and shouldn't be used by any other game ever again, but the grind that you get in asian MMOs isn't fun either (extremely fast leveling vs. extremely slow). Vanilla WoW on the other hand actually handled the questing and leveling pretty decently. There were storylines, not just random people asking you to go kill 100s of random monsters, and you rarely had to 'grind,' there were always enough quests to keep you leveling.

  • BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001

    Originally posted by SirDerp

    I really miss vanilla WoW. It was a lot of fun adventuring and questing, and meeting people a long the way. "Slow leveling" isn't necessarily better. The new way of leveling in WoW is terrible and shouldn't be used by any other game ever again, but the grind that you get in asian MMOs isn't fun either (extremely fast leveling vs. extremely slow). Vanilla WoW on the other hand actually handled the questing and leveling pretty decently. There were storylines, not just random people asking you to go kill 100s of random monsters, and you rarely had to 'grind,' there were always enough quests to keep you leveling.

     probably 1 in 5 was kill 10 of x in vanilla, but I did not have a problem with that, its all about balance and became more fun and rewarding when there was factions involved. 

    rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

    Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

  • cribettcribett Member UncommonPosts: 135

    I stopped playing after Vanilla ... many nights spent at tarren mill baiting the horde to come fight and when they did it would go on for hours back and forth back and forth good good times. id go as far as to say it was some of the most fun iv ever had in terms of PvP.

  • BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001

    the spontanious raid group setup at crossroads to attack the town up there - once apon a time ago that was cool and exciting  too!

    rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

    Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

  • Suker9Suker9 Member Posts: 22

    I so much missed vanilla too.

    There is nearly no world pvp now when u leveling new toon.  In vanilla ,  world pvp is the hottest  in Tanaris,  Stranglethorn and Hillsbrad Foothills.  That's very funny.

  • carryoncarryon Member Posts: 12

    I miss vanilla too. When you *finally* got your mount at 40 it felt so momentous. Now you blow through the early content and you have your mount before you have that resigned "god I wish I had a mount" feeling and quietly envied those that rode past you. That and if you (like me) love the stories and lore out-leveling the content is frustrating. I don't like being able to 1-shot everyone. I understand that there are 25 more lvls now so letting people get caught up to do arena/bg/raids you kind of have to to keep some players happy. Still...

  • godzilr1godzilr1 Member UncommonPosts: 550

    Not just in WoW.  I'm a huge fan of slow lvling.  mainly becuase it makes those new abilities gained so much more sweeting and it keep players closer together for grouping.

  • LisXiaLisXia Member Posts: 390

    Originally posted by godzilr1

    Not just in WoW.  I'm a huge fan of slow lvling.  mainly becuase it makes those new abilities gained so much more sweeting and it keep players closer together for grouping.

    It all depends on he game

    EQ1 has very slow levelling, it does not make the game any better, it just torture the player base for what little content there is to keep grinding.

    Slow levelling is not necessary to keep player in range, mentoring can do it just as easily.

    Not that I love fast or slow levelling, I love a game in which there is variety and fun, and enough nice people to interact with, if it is an MMO.  Yes I know I am being vague, meaning I am willing to play different kinds of game to try it out and see for myself.

  • PocahinhaPocahinha Member UncommonPosts: 550

    Vanilla wow was the best mmorpg ever made, had the magic...now there is only one thing i love about it...the combat, specialy the feral druid way of combat,  in general wow combat system is fast, accurate, good camera angles, perfect spells with perfect sound to go with the animations...nothing compares to this up to this day.

  • LisXiaLisXia Member Posts: 390

    Originally posted by Pocahinha

    Vanilla wow was the best mmorpg ever made, had the magic...now there is only one thing i love about it...the combat, specialy the feral druid way of combat,  in general wow combat system is fast, accurate, good camera angles, perfect spells with perfect sound to go with the animations...nothing compares to this up to this day.

    Yes WoW animation is great, in terms of responsive and tempo.  You look at the screen like it is real, truely synchronised.

    That beats everything else in the market, which is sad.  Lotro is nearly as good but somehow lacks the magic to retain the initial huge player base.

  • SulaaSulaa Member UncommonPosts: 1,329

    Yeah nowadays levelling is way too fast. It is ridiculous. + there are ways to do it even faster *sigh*

    Tbh if I see a game with fast levelling like WoW atm or Rift I don't even bother anymore. Not my piece of cake.

    Not to mention everything apart of instances is soloable nowadays, but that's no wonder since people level so fast so they don't bother grouping.

     

    Mentoring - well it is not bad but it does not solve a problem With mentoring you still have to ask for help , it just means that you won't faceroll over content due to decreased level of person helping you.

    With slower levelling (at least like it was in vanilla wow) people want to do things together becasue it is in their interest.

     

    I am personally getting tired with solofication of everything and thing like dungeon finder or quest gps. It make game too convenient , it changes relations is game , how game is played , how players interact with each other ,etc

    Just make your experience totally diffrent. Worse imho.

  • PhilssPhilss Member Posts: 433

    Lets face it , vanilla wow sucked . The only reason why ppl want to go back there is nostalgia. Trust me you wouldnt play for really long in the old WoW ....

     

    Sure the game was awsome back then because we were all newb and no one had the , I want to grind max lvl and grind gear mentality , everyone was playing for the fun of it not to be an elitist jerk .

  • NeikoNeiko Member UncommonPosts: 626

    Originally posted by Philss

    Sure the game was awsome back then because we were all newb and no one had the , I want to grind max lvl and grind gear mentality , everyone was playing for the fun of it not to be an elitist jerk .

    It's hard to say who's fault it really is. The community? Or the devs for listening to a more vocal part of the community?

     

    Either way, I do miss it. I miss exploring worlds, looking at places up close that I could only see in a bird's eye view before (warcraft rts)

    Are there any mmos that still have some of this magic? The magic of exploring and interacting with people because we wanted to, not because the queue popped and the tank hasn't run the instance before?

Sign In or Register to comment.