Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Secret World: release April 2012!

Funcom hereby announces that the modern-day,

Massively Multiplayer Online Game (MMO),

The Secret World will launch on the PC-platform in

April, 2012.

Starting August 26th, gamers can also register to

join the upcoming stages of beta, through an

interactive social media campaign that will be made

available on http://www.thesecretworld.com.

For more information, visit the official website at

http://www.thesecretworld.com.

Zürich, 16 August, 2011

Funcom N.V.

This information is subject of the disclosure

requirements acc. to § 5-12 vphl (Norwegian

Securities Trading Act)

Url: http://www.newsweb.no/index.jsp?messageId287857

Comments

• TalthanysTalthanys Member Posts: 458

Okay, well...I was always tentative and nervous about TSW. I love the concept but, put simply, Funcom's track record does not induce confidence. So, when a release date is announced all those launch issues with AoC gets pushed to the fore of my concerns.

Will definitely apply to beta, though. In the meantime, I will try to subdue the fears that a Funcom launch is one of the signs of the Apocalypse.

• HengistHengist Member RarePosts: 1,282

Interesting to see what they are going to present at the EA press conference this morning.

I'm both anticipating the release, but fearful of what will happen if they hit that release date. I just hope that the 3rd time is the charm and Funcom rolls our a smooth (relatively) release.

• Short-StrawShort-Straw Member Posts: 422

Gamescom and Pax, interesting timing. Trying to steal some thunder before the start? Hoping for a bug free release.

• HengistHengist Member RarePosts: 1,282

I'm interested in both.....

I just wish we had seen more gameplay instead of the trailer. I actually liked how TOR had the live demo of the operation. Maybe we'll see more gameplay videos down the road. I'm positive about the concepts, just love to see how Funcom executes 'em.

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

The Secret World: The Story So Far...

1. 3 Factions

2. Modern day / occult / horror / urban legends Story

3. Puzzles

4. Skill System - No Levels

5. forget this one...

However does anyone know how the COMBAT SYSTEM works, has footage of it and impressions of it? Without this, all the above are truly excellent packaging imo until we've seen this system?

??
  • KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

Here we go again. I had thought Funcom would have learned not to give out release dates so early. I wonder if it will beat the amount of delays AoC had image

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by MumboJumbo
    The Secret World: The Story So Far... [*]
    3 Factions
    [*]
    Modern day / occult / horror / urban legends Story
    [*]
    Puzzles
    Skill System - No Levels
    forget this one... However does anyone know how the COMBAT SYSTEM works, has footage of it and impressions of it? Without this, all the above are truly excellent packaging imo until we've seen this system?   ??

Combat system is similar to 'classic' mmorpg combat. However, you have build outs that you use, so you pick 8 active and 8 passive skills from your available and trained skill sets. There are no classes, so you could build a fire/ice/necromancer who's really good with shotguns and healing. That probably wouldn't be very effective, but you could do it.

I am looking forward to this game and was kind of hoping it would be out before SW:ToR, but I'd rather they wait until the game is done instead of pushing it out early.

I will definitely sign up for the betas.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

Originally posted by lizardbones

[*]

3 Factions

[*]

[*]

Puzzles

Skill System - No Levels

forget this one...

However does anyone know how the COMBAT SYSTEM works, has footage of it and impressions of it? Without this, all the above are truly excellent packaging imo until we've seen this system?

??

Combat system is similar to 'classic' mmorpg combat. However, you have build outs that you use, so you pick 8 active and 8 passive skills from your available and trained skill sets. There are no classes, so you could build a fire/ice/necromancer who's really good with shotguns and healing. That probably wouldn't be very effective, but you could do it.

I am looking forward to this game and was kind of hoping it would be out before SW:ToR, but I'd rather they wait until the game is done instead of pushing it out early.

That does help, but we're still only on descriptions atm? Eg ArchAge is awesome in many respects but I'm not impressed with it's combat system at all for eg. Seeing is sorta believing! Conversely Firefall's looks about right sweet spot of actiony with a mmorpg'y feel. Thanks again.

• Originally posted by MumboJumbo

Originally posted by lizardbones

[*]

3 Factions

[*]

[*]

Puzzles

Skill System - No Levels

forget this one...

??

That does help, but we're still only on descriptions atm? Eg ArchAge is awesome in many respects but I'm not impressed with it's combat system at all for eg. Seeing is sorta believing! Conversely Firefall's looks about right sweet spot of actiony with a mmorpg'y feel. Thanks again.

not sure if this is what you are looking for or if you have seen it but there as a dungeon playthrough video last month

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZPS1SvmVHI

• Hopscotch73Hopscotch73 Member UncommonPosts: 971

Hmm, I thought any of us who had done the initiation test thungummybob were registered for beta already? Never mind, shall skip back in there on the 29th to register again.

I really like the sound of this game, and April really isn't that far away, I'll buy to try anyway. Funcom leave me meh in general but Ragnar is in a whole other class.

• TyrxzTyrxz Member Posts: 329

I'm going to hold off buying it until I've seen some beta footage.

scribble scribble scribble

• ChilliesauceChilliesauce Member Posts: 559

Originally posted by Tyrxz

I'm going to hold off buying it until I've seen some beta footage.

The Secret World has a lot of gameplay videos floating on youtube, mmorpg.com and official site.  In my guess the only thing that is going to change is animations, everything else looks top notch.

• JudasaceJudasace Member Posts: 53

Based on what I've seen of the footage so far, if they stick to this date, tehy're going to have a repeat of AO.

• chakalakachakalaka Member UncommonPosts: 291

Thank you for this info!!! been waiting for this, I don't care what happens with the launch, I just wanna help them make the gamer better and progress. I love the whole concept for this game, thanks again! beta-here I come.

• lunatislunatis Member UncommonPosts: 261

Today at the EA GamesCom press conference, Funcom and EA Partners announced that The Secret World will ship in April 2012. You can read more about this announcement on Funcom.com.

Yes! I wish I can try the game before release, it would be a HUGE decision maker for an eventual pre-order.

EA is really on the map these days! BF3, SWTOR, TSW... and more!

I really hope that TSW will be a success because I love the modern days + horror mix, plus the skill-based system and puzzles!

• bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044

Sweet! This and TOR are the two MMO's I'm really excited about. Looks like it will come out a couple of months after TOR does.image

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

Wow,that was alot sooner than I thought,which definitely throws up a red flag..

I'll prolly wait till after release and a few reviews before shelling out for this game.

• Destiny2010Destiny2010 Member UncommonPosts: 327

I don`t get why people think its too early?

I have been waiting since they announced it in may 2007, and the full production started in 2006. That`s 5 years of full production, should be more then enough.

• EzhaeEzhae Member UncommonPosts: 735

Originally posted by tank017

I'll prolly wait till after release and a few reviews before shelling out for this game.

Sooner? The game is in developement for quite some time now. It was revealed in 2007, but the work started even earlier.  One would guess that 6-7 years is enough to put a MMO together, especially considering the company does have some experience in the matter (all AoC and AO issues aside, please show me a MMO that had no issues during first year)

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

Originally posted by Ezhae

Originally posted by tank017

Sooner? The game is in developement for quite some time now. It was revealed in 2007, but the work started even earlier.  One would guess that 6-7 years is enough to put a MMO together, especially considering the company does have some experience in the matter (all AoC and AO issues aside, please show me a MMO that had no issues during first year)

AO and AoC both had issues worthy of account cancellations and regret of ever buying the game..

Funcom could have 12 years to develop their game and I'd still be wary of their product.

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156

Originally posted by Destiny2010

I don`t get why people think its too early?

I have been waiting since they announced it in may 2007, and the full production started in 2006. That`s 5 years of full production, should be more then enough.

Aye, especially when most of the engine technology and work has been already done for Age of Conan. Technical issues due to engine optimisation shouldn't be a problem, as AoC is (at least for my mid-range PC) perfectly stable with constant high FPS. I never anticipated a game so strongly as this one, there isn't that many games based (basically directly) on H.P. Lovecraft lore. In addition, Secret World seems to have lots of original ideas. Designer did a great job before with the adventure Longest Journey. Let's hope for the best.

REALITY CHECK

• DietaetherDietaether Member Posts: 36

I think that every time someone says something about funcom and AoC I'm just going to say "Ragnar Tornquist" repeatedly until one of us is banned. It's really starting to get ridiculous =/

There are plenty of legitimate reasons to criticize a game. offhand I can think of PvP/PvE integration, ability balancing, and ARG quest integration which I am cautiously awaiting more information about. If your criticism can in no way result in the game being improved, then it's not exactly cock full of pertinent infornation now is it? And as consumers, isn't that ultimately our goal?

• mrw0lfmrw0lf Member Posts: 2,269

Originally posted by Dietaether

If your criticism can in no way result in the game being improved, then it's not exactly cock full of pertinent infornation now is it? And as consumers, isn't that ultimately our goal?

Oh how delightfully naive, are you new around these parts?

OT: the announcment of a release date imo is kind of irrelavent, sure it's nice to know but it's never in stone and whether they announce it or keep it internal is of no concern of mine in the long run it will ship when it ships, telling me doesn't make it any sooner or later. This is more a matter of trying to get some press time before SW:TOR announce, afterwhich there will be a din for a while during which little else will get through on the mainstream for this genre.

Can't wait to play and looking forwards to the EA thing, sopmething similar to TOR's yesterday would be nice.

-----
    “The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species.”

• Destiny2010Destiny2010 Member UncommonPosts: 327

Originally posted by Scambug

What will make or break this game for me is the PvP system they implement.

If it ends up being yet another BG gear grind fest like WoW, AoC, Rift and SWTOR, I won't be playing it.

Well, I doubt they will have the same system as AoC used, but perhaps they will have some sort of a extreme server if they think AoC did it well. TSW will have BGs, that is shown. I wonder what the larger system is also, but I guess we will see that in short time.