Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Don't be fooled by the high rating

PossumtatePossumtate Member Posts: 1

I suspect it's been manipulated, by the devs saying "go vote on mmorpg.com".

I'm an Eve player, I like that game, but I accept that it has certain flaws. It has lots of awesomeness, too.

This game has all the flaws, plus some extra (the clunkiest UI you'll find anywhere, for one); but it has very little of the awesomeness. The combat is mind-numbingly boring (way worse than eve), it's a sloooooooow drag to upgrade your gear, and did I mention? The UI is TERRIBLE.

Oh, and one other thing. THE UI IS TERRIBLE. Seriously, it's the worst I've ever seen, and I've dabbled in a *lot* of games.

If you really, really love Eve, and you want something like it, you'll be able to barely tolerate this game. Otherwise, don't waste your time downloading it.

Comments

• Squal'ZellSqual'Zell Member Posts: 1,803

Originally posted by Possumtate

I'm an Eve player, I like that game, but I accept that it has certain flaws. It has lots of awesomeness, too.

This game has all the flaws, plus some extra (the clunkiest UI you'll find anywhere, for one); but it has very little of the awesomeness. The combat is mind-numbingly boring (way worse than eve), it's a sloooooooow drag to upgrade your gear, and did I mention? The UI is TERRIBLE.

Oh, and one other thing. THE UI IS TERRIBLE. Seriously, it's the worst I've ever seen, and I've dabbled in a *lot* of games.

If you really, really love Eve, and you want something like it, you'll be able to barely tolerate this game. Otherwise, don't waste your time downloading it.

i have yet to see a UI that is decent, 

i think someone should put some investment on UI research. like console games do for their controllers or McDonnalds on which flavors can maximize endorphine production in the brain.

also take into consideration that it is a new game, EvE 1.0 wasnt much better than that at release. it will grow and hopefully they will get better, just like eve did, as long as they dont screw it up like most MMORPGs out there

disclaimer, i have not downloaded or played it yet. but i have seen many reviews and gameplay videos, also i am playing devil's advocate.

• xenomxenom Member UncommonPosts: 116

eve surely is more advanced and all but stating the combat of eve is better ? ^^ i mean come on you can't be serious :P

in perpetuum you can actually dodge attacks with moving behind walls, plants and that stuff so it is way more dynamic than in eve. overall as a game it surely is not as advanced as eve yet but has a very solid base and quite a few things made superior compared to eve.

just a few little examples: no local, no unneeded stupid looting/salvaging mechanics wasting your time, npcs to hunt are way more accessable overall, quite decent search & find mechanics for mining areas and artefacts, combat feels way more dynamic and warfare mechanics should be more fun overall.

o/

• Adhesive33Adhesive33 Member UncommonPosts: 227

If you had any credibility to begin with, having only 1 post, you surely lost it by arguing that the the combat is worse than EVE. Perpetuum has it's flaws, and EVE is superior in many ways, but the combat isn't one of them.

Anyway, regarding the votes, who cares? Perpetuum's user-base is tiny, and almost all companies encourage their players to rate the game, as long as they don't encourage a particular rating, it doesn't violate MMORPG's TOS. Besides, a free trial and very small download is more than enough to allow any reasonable person to see for themselves whether they will enjoy the game or not. EVE has nothing to fear from Perpetuum, no reason to get all excited.

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

Now, thats an interesting first post... Having played Perpetuum since launch (and having spent almost 6 years in EVE) I find your remarks about the combat system rather telling.  Neither EVE nor Perpetuum have the best combat system at this point. But I much prefer Perpetuums due to the available use of LOS (use of terrain) and the fact that the Perpetuum Dev's haven't managed to pick up the serious attitude problem that CCP's Dev's have.  

Of course, there is a silver lining to CCP's hubris... Perpetuum picked up hundreds and hundreds of former EVE players, and at this point it looks like many of them will be staying.  Thats likely to help the Perpetuum Dev's to further develop the game. 

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • Cik_AsalinCik_Asalin Member Posts: 3,033

Originally posted by Wraithone

Now, thats an interesting first post...

Hey. . .ease-up. . .he traveled to the future just to tell us this.  Huh?  lol

• sadeyxsadeyx Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

More nonsense from a player who's barley done a few days.

Its just so so obvious by what people say,  just flat wrong.   I'd go so far as to say its a lie!.. but it would be wrong to say that, so I'm just going to say that your hugly mistaken.

To use an eve analogy, its like as if people have just undocked in high-sec, done one tutorial mission and thought "wow, this is rubbish"

Of course it has flaws.. every game has flaws.  but it makes up for it with proper pvp which you've obviously NEVER done.

• KneckbeardKneckbeard Member Posts: 5

1 post and this is it? I played Eve since 2004 and "loved" the game from day one. Saying one game is better than another is merely an opinion. You are entitled to yours, however don't cosider yours the right one. You don't walk in my (or anyone else's) shoes. After 7 years of watching Eve turn into what the devs promised 7 years ago it never would, it is my opinion that Eve has run it's course. As far as sandbox gaming goes anyway. Eve probably will survive, but it will be dominated by players that seek immediate gratification in their game play and not anything in the way of earning it.

tl;dr - you're not going to the grave for me (or anyone else). your opinion is not the be all end all.

• june32ndjune32nd Member Posts: 122

This game has all the flaws, plus some extra (the clunkiest UI you'll find anywhere, for one);  The UI is TERRIBLE.

which is really funny considering perpetuum's UI looks and feels almost like EVEs. it's almost the exact same. give or take a few things here and there. personally if your only complaint is about the UI, which from your post it seems that was the main and really only point you had to bring up. my suggestion would be to stick with EVE, as the gameplay is pretty similar, you'd be much more happier with staying with EVE

• LordLeMoyneLordLeMoyne Member Posts: 26

I agree with Possumtate.  By no means should this unpolished product be anywhere near RIFT on the hype list.

• SraikSraik Member Posts: 23

Calling OP out on some weird logic.  Rating is high so the the Devs must be manipulating the score? 

The simpler answer might, just possibly, be that the (relatively small) playerbase like the game, signed in and voted in a positive manner.

Incidently, I played Rift and did not like it at all; probably would not rate it well.

Ratings come down to the players gut response to the game...which I think is sort to the point.  I would suspect the ratings are an accurate representation of how the player feel about their game.

• astoriaastoria Member UncommonPosts: 1,677

eh I gave the game a good rating. I think objectively it had good points on graphics, economy, combat, etc. Its not the style of game for me, not twitchy enought, but that really more just affects my rating on the fun factor. I also found the devs to be really in tune with the community so I think the future looks bright for it. I was happy to beta it and it was fun for a bit, but its a more indepth game than some.

"Never met a pack of humans that were any different. Look at the idiots that get elected every couple of years. You really consider those guys more mature than us? The only difference between us and them is, when they gank some noobs and take their stuff, the noobs actually die." - Madimorga

• StarSythStarSyth Member UncommonPosts: 50

Long time combat vet and FC from eve speaking here, I was in the beta for perpetuum rolling with M2C (at the time the only serious pvp corp in the game :P)

As far as EvE is concerned I belive its consistant changes and dumbing down of its content to open it up to a wider audiance has moved it away from its original intended niche market. The adverse effects of which are increasingly less smallscale fights (arguably the best and most enjoyable part in EvE's combat) and much more escape and avoidance mechanics being implemented.

In EvE if you get caught in 0.0 you did somthing wrong, most people who live in 0.0 and even wormholes can tell you that your virtually 100% safe so long as you know what your doing. Perpetuum dosnt have warping, cloaking, POS. Finding a target dosnt require scanning down your target with easy to detect and counter measures, in Perpetuum your basically always "on grid" and have not warp drive.

To compair then, Purpetuum online is more like the EvE of old than the eve of new, if your a die hard pvper you WILL perfer it to EvE in its current state, anyone that disagree's is a carebearing wannabie pvper.

Btw I currently play niether game.

StarSyth

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

I think this game deserves whatever rating it gets. I played through beta and a month after release (got a free month from Massively). The game itself is developed as well as any other game out there.

Do I still play? No, of course not. I'm part of the crowd that was introduced to MMORPG with WoW. I don't want to have to make my own content, I want it provided by the developer. That said, I can recognized what a nice job those guys did with Perpetuum, especially compared to the other games (sandbox games in particular) that I've been able to beta and play.

I would have gone with a Mechwarrior style of combat though. I think if they had done that, they would have at least doubled their population. I might still be playing.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• freejackmackfreejackmack Member Posts: 378

This game is probably the best game out right now in the areas of combat and pvp control points mining is alright as mining goes industry is nice plenty to do and it does not take as long as eve to max a skill out in my experience. UI is fine works for the the game really well imo. PVE update should be great. So imo score is about right.

• strangerdangstrangerdang Member Posts: 233

This game is the best eve type game that isnt eve out there..

However that list of games includes this game and eve.

If your into that type of game, this game seems like a lot more, entertainment, than eve ever was for me, though i didnt play eve very long.

That being said, the thing i hated most about eve, was its community, which is basically what the community of perpetuum is.

As per the hype ratings...your better off judging how good a game is based off the color back round on their main wepage is than using this websites hype rating.  Its not that its manipulated, evnthough it constantly is, but some games get a few good good rating from a couple hundred game supporters, then no one else ever rates it out of lack of interest, leaving it with a high rating.

Also, most people either rate the game 10 or 1, fanbois give it a 10, haters give it a 1..

This game, along with several others, seem strangly perched up top, for a long time too.  Some dont even have forum activity (on this site) other than a community liason posting pointless updates on the game..you would think a highly hyped game would have a hugely active forum here..

But back to this game, good game if you like eve but want robots on land, if waiting a week or month of paid time to progress sounds like a bore, you will hate this game.