Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Diablo's hack & slash rpg formula; not so outdated afterall.

DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Recently I reinstalled Diablo 2 and its expansion. Not because I'm hyped for D3, but I tend to cycle through old single player games and play them casually whenever I am not playing a mmorpg and D2 was next on the list after not having touched it for 5 whole years.

After getting it to work properly with windows 7 through some third party tools at first I was shocked by its low resolution. Holy isometric pixel world batman! Did I play this for hundreds of hours?

I did, and it seems I am well on my way in adding a few hundred of hours more to that total.

Remarkably I found that this fairly simple, 11 year old, lineair game totally grasped me once again. 0_0

After playing it for a while the low quality graphics didn't bother me at all anymore and all that remained was an addictive rush for PROGRESS. What's more; gameplay is simple but still very satisfying, the cutscenes are still very compelling and dark and the background music is low-key but perfect. I am already looking forward to my few hours of free time tonight, farming Mephisto for a bit and going through Hell in Nightmare.

I know it will eventually bore me again but I really have to ditch my prejudice regarding Diablo III in that it would be a very outdated formula in the age of mmorpgs and bound to disappoint many. It could very well end up being a huge hit once again.

Playing through D2 again unexpectedly made me anticipate D3 a whole lot more than I did.

Comments

• SagasaintSagasaint Member UncommonPosts: 466

its a good thing you liked that, since D3 is basically the exact same but less pixelated... 11 years and they havent improved a damn bit.

except adding pay to win, of course...now you can add a second mortgage to your house so you can get the epic sword of manliness without figthing for it....

• ErstokErstok Member Posts: 523

When did you start playing "old school" MMO's. World Of Warcraft?

• ravtecravtec Member Posts: 214

Ya me and a buddy fired up that bad boy a few months ago, i had the same reaction as you did to the graphic. After a while it didt bother me at all but it was nasty right away.

we playd past the 1st game but stopd right after we hit on the expansion part but it was fun while it lasted, both of us are realy looking forward to D3.

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

The formula is a winner, Gauntlet was a bird's-eye view top-down dungeon-crawler and so much fun back in the day. An interesting slant on it is one recently come across: Orcs Must Die: sorta dungeon crawling in reverse (tower defense) style. Star Legends and Pocket Legends on iOS/Android also follow the dungeon-crawl design as well.

• ravtecravtec Member Posts: 214

Originally posted by Sagasaint

its a good thing you liked that, since D3 is basically the exact same but less pixelated... 11 years and they havent improved a damn bit.

except adding pay to win, of course...now you can add a second mortgage to your house so you can get the epic sword of manliness without figthing for it....

I never bought an item in D2 why should i in D3???

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Originally posted by Sagasaint

Well, you could do so in D2 as well, only not through endorsed, official means. In a hack & slash game, a player run, cash AH doesn't bother me at all. I don't care how other people got their gear; they play in their own shard of the gameworld anyway.

Personaly I prefer working my ass off for equipment and will maybe use the ingame currency AH; I've never used RMT in any game I played either.

In a true open world mmorpg, especially with sandbox qualities, it's an entirely different thing though: I would hate a cash auction in one of those but in a sharded, hack & slash rpg I really don't give a damn.

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Originally posted by Erstok

Hehe, true that, but I prefer Mephisto and Andariel runs ^_^

(As well as rinse and repeating some good areas in the world)

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437

I'm so over Diablo 3, it's like being in an abusive relationship.

It's all about Torchlight 2 and Grim Dawn now.