Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it worth returning? Been thinking about it far too long..

xanctumxanctum Member Posts: 7

Hi everyone. Been stalking the forums with a handful of posts.. thought I would just put it out there and decide already.

I played in the '99 hayday and played for about a year or more. I absolutely loved it and been thinking about getting back into it for about 4 years now.

My question is this: Is the playstyle similar? Has there been many changes? for example, I left WoW when the new expansion came out. Playstyle completely changed and I couldn't adapt. I know games change, but overall has AC stayed somewhat the same? When I left for example, they just came out with personal houses.. and I got a sweet one. Can't remember now where it was, but I do know it was highly sought after ..lol.

Anyway, would love some feedback as to whether it's worth coming back or not. Thanks for the read :)

Chur

Comments

• maxtlionmaxtlion Member Posts: 79

I've just started again after playing in the late 90's for a few years. Had loads of trouble before with the old connection tech, but in now and loving it as much as I remember!

The spell system has been simplified significantly and there is no longer all the research - scrolls which are looted or bought teach you the spells. Apart from that, it has still got all the chocolatey goodness that I remember. The populations are of course a lot smaller than in it's prime, so I recommend synching up with any previous hunting buddies if they are still about, but I'm quite happily running around, blasting drudge and getting ripped apart by adult reedsharks as I begin my AC journey anew.

Still beats the crap out of the modern theme-parks.

• xanctumxanctum Member Posts: 7

Well downloaded the trial and started playing again. Is pretty awesome being back after all these years. One huge problem though.. after 15 minutes my computer shuts off. No warning no errors nothing. Pretty strange. I have a decent computer and can play all games so far with no issue. Can't seem to find any resolution to this after googling it. All I have found was Memory problem or over heating. Both of which don't sound right. Was playing WoW on high settings for ages with no problems... Any suggestions?

• NethermancerNethermancer Member Posts: 520

I have been playing AO since Vanguard is down and I am having a blast. I think I will give AC a try to....see ya guys in game.

Playing: PO, EVE
    Waiting for: WoD
    Favourite MMOs: VG, EVE, FE and DDO
    Any person who expresses rage and loathing for an MMO is preposterous. He or she is like a person who has put on full armor and attacked a hot fudge sundae.

• ElapsedElapsed Member UncommonPosts: 2,329

Originally posted by xanctum

Well downloaded the trial and started playing again. Is pretty awesome being back after all these years. One huge problem though.. after 15 minutes my computer shuts off. No warning no errors nothing. Pretty strange. I have a decent computer and can play all games so far with no issue. Can't seem to find any resolution to this after googling it. All I have found was Memory problem or over heating. Both of which don't sound right. Was playing WoW on high settings for ages with no problems... Any suggestions?

AC is actually very harsh on your computer even if it doesn't look like it. Try dropping the texture settings to the lowest and see if it extends the amount of time you can play or stops the problem completely. If that does solve the problem your computer is overheating. If you still crash then it might be corrupt memory. You'd need to download a memory testing problem like Memtest86 or Microsoft's memory tester.

• xanctumxanctum Member Posts: 7

I did pop the settings down to low and it ran for me for a while with no crashes. I wouldn't think that it would be harsh, but there ya go. I am having a blast with it and some memories are coming back slowly. So many questions though. Is there a site for some guides or a forum for new players with questions? For example, how do you learn higher level spells? etc etc.. 

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697

Originally posted by xanctum

I did pop the settings down to low and it ran for me for a while with no crashes. I wouldn't think that it would be harsh, but there ya go. I am having a blast with it and some memories are coming back slowly. So many questions though. Is there a site for some guides or a forum for new players with questions? For example, how do you learn higher level spells? etc etc.. 

The general AC forums http://forums.ac.turbine.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2 are a great place to get answers. A lot of helpful and knowledgable players hang out there.

There is also the player made wikkii at: http://ac.wikkii.net/

Welcome back.

• maxtlionmaxtlion Member Posts: 79

A site I've been checking is www.asheronsguide.com - decent coverage of stuff, but mainly around skill check percentages and character templates.

If you want one of the best sites from yesteryear though, google Maggie the JackCat.

In the UK, the connection problems seem to be caused by ISPs using ADSL (BT etc) - I have a friend on Virgin, which uses cable and he's fine.

Skippa, Munch and Gedonn - Thistledown

• AkiyeAkiye Member Posts: 109
    Originally posted by maxtlion

A site I've been checking is www.asheronsguide.com - decent coverage of stuff, but mainly around skill check percentages and character templates.
    If you want one of the best sites from yesteryear though, google Maggie the JackCat.
    In the UK, the connection problems seem to be caused by ISPs using ADSL (BT etc) - I have a friend on Virgin, which uses cable and he's fine.

Skippa, Munch and Gedonn - Thistledown

I recall the maggie site. Use to use it all the time. GOod site least then