Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Questions from a returning player

Hello,

About a year ago, I stopped playing EVE due to computer problems at the time and just never had the chance to get back in. Lately I've considered doing so, since EVE was so much fun. I have three questions for existing players, since I have been gone for so very long:

-How has combat changed? I know things are different, but I never found combat exciting, which was unfortunate because I had a combat-centered character. PvP was pretty interesting, especially in large doses, but fighting NPCs consisted of nothing more than warp to nav point, orbit target at optimum range, fire weapons and use modules as needed. It never felt exciting. Has this changed in a year?

-Are the lesser used attributes more important now? When I played, intelligence and perception were easily the most vital attributes to get high. Memory was also pretty important for manufacturers and the like. Willpower was only ever a secondary stat on most skills, and Charisma skills were almost unheard of. My prefered character choice was always an Amarr, and they sacrifice perception for high willpower.

-An extension of my second question, when you have high learning skills and implants...do starting attributes really matter? I've heard that an ideally beefed up character may only get a day or so advantage in training time compared to a lesser character. Is the difference really this negligible?

Thanks for any answers, I've missed this game alot.

::Edit::

While I'm asking, I've heard that it's possible to max out most of the relevant mining skills and move on to something else in short order, is this true? I do love to fight, but mining was always a nice change of pace for me. I have no other aspirations in the game, beyond possibly finding trade routes to exploit, so research and manufacturing skills do not enter into my equations. I'm just trying to think up a good path for my new character since I won't have the game for a little while.

Comments

• MajidahMajidah Member UncommonPosts: 3

Send me an EVE-mail in game, I'd be happy to chat with you

• dakilla666dakilla666 Member UncommonPosts: 306

Well, I can reply to the edit anyways (I actualy wrote a longer reply but didn't save it in word and of course, it didn't end up posting). Maxing mining skills takes ALONG time. This is assuming you want the best of the best being a large mining barge with Tech 2 strip miners.

To get that, you would need :

Industry level 5
    Mining level 5
    Mining Barge level 5
    Refining level 5
    Refinery Efficientcy level 5
    Astrogeology level 5
    [Mineral] Processing level 3 (depending on which type of crystal you want to use)
    Scrap Metal Processing level 4 (not sure bout that one)
    Spaceship Command level 3

Once you have all those skills, you can use a Large Mining Barge with Tech 2 strip miners, which are the best mining ships in the game by far (smoke mining apocs something fierce).

Dakilla[666] ~ The Realm ~ Level 1000 enchanter (retired)
    Maranthoric ~ La 4ieme Prophetie ~ Level 160 (5x) HE/Feu (de retour)
    Leonthoric[DDC] ~ EVE online ~ <Fire The "Laser"> (retired)

• I had no idea they added these strip miners to the game. Are these the huge roaming refineries I heard rumored a while ago?

I can't really do anything with the game until I get my computer upgraded (my motherboard is fried, new one on the way), so I can't do any research or emailing in game. I'm just trying to get a working character template in my head before I start playing. Probably something either Gallente or Amarr, I'm big into roleplaying.

Oh, did they ever add those two Asian-themed races?
  • KnightblastKnightblast Member UncommonPosts: 1,787

How has combat changed? I know things are different, but I never found combat exciting, which was unfortunate because I had a combat-centered character. PvP was pretty interesting, especially in large doses, but fighting NPCs consisted of nothing more than warp to nav point, orbit target at optimum range, fire weapons and use modules as needed. It never felt exciting. Has this changed in a year?

Yes and no.

CCP beefed up missions substantially, and they now include "deadspace" missions with a lot more enemy NPCs that are much harder. It is still very repetitive, but it is different from when you left, and the idea is still much the same of getting to optimal range, orbit, target and fire.

-Are the lesser used attributes more important now? When I played, intelligence and perception were easily the most vital attributes to get high. Memory was also pretty important for manufacturers and the like. Willpower was only ever a secondary stat on most skills, and Charisma skills were almost unheard of. My prefered character choice was always an Amarr, and they sacrifice perception for high willpower.-An extension of my second question, when you have high learning skills and implants...do starting attributes really matter? I've heard that an ideally beefed up character may only get a day or so advantage in training time compared to a lesser character. Is the difference really this negligible?

That's true for Learning skill, but for the other learning skills, it isn't true. If you pimp up your key attributes off the bat you'll be better off down the road, and willpower is a key skill as well. CCP has added advanced skillpacks and these, together with implants, can really incerase your attributes (but take time of course), but all of that builds off your base, so your base is still pretty important. And, other than Learning skill, increasing the other skills like memory and perception and will and so forth to 5 and beyond with advanced skillpacks really, really cuts down on the training time ... not just a day, but it can save 2-3 days on training level 5s and that adds up over time.