Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honest Answers by Players

SyllendaleSyllendale Member UncommonPosts: 162

I use to play AION when it first came out and then quit a few months after. Im finding information about the game and things they changed. I'm a big PVE type, and I know the game is very PVP, Im not worried about that, its practice before SW:TOR comes out ( hehe ).  What I dont know that the game sites arent telling me are::

... Has community changed and are they helpful or elitists (if I spelled it right).  Also is it "high".. (is the game thriving?)

... Is the new PVE content worth the download / monthly fee , will the fun outlast the month to start enough to keep playing.

... Is the end content more PVP than PVE.

... With so many ahead of me in levels, are there enough low level players to make me feel Im in the game. 

... I see you can buy things from NC Shop.. is this like buying pay to win or is it merely things Im gonna want cause I love vanity items?

....You know just the basic worries of dropping money on the game opposed to something else. Any help on this is deeply and very gratefully accepted. :) 

Comments

• MurashuMurashu Member UncommonPosts: 1,386

I haven't played Aion since beta, but I do know they offer a free trial. Give it a shot yourself and avoid being upset later.

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

Originally posted by Syllendale

I use to play AION when it first came out and then quit a few months after. Im finding information about the game and things they changed. I'm a big PVE type, and I know the game is very PVP, Im not worried about that, its practice before SW:TOR comes out ( hehe ).  What I dont know that the game sites arent telling me are::

... Has community changed and are they helpful or elitists (if I spelled it right).  Also is it "high".. (is the game thriving?)

... Is the new PVE content worth the download / monthly fee , will the fun outlast the month to start enough to keep playing.

... Is the end content more PVP than PVE.

... With so many ahead of me in levels, are there enough low level players to make me feel Im in the game. 

... I see you can buy things from NC Shop.. is this like buying pay to win or is it merely things Im gonna want cause I love vanity items?

....You know just the basic worries of dropping money on the game opposed to something else. Any help on this is deeply and very gratefully accepted. :) 

i' v very recenlty gone back to Aion just to see what's changed. Aion it's by no means a different game now. it is easier to level, there are more quests. a few more dungeons. a few less twink gankers using rifts. a few graphycs improvements. but all in all it's the same game as before. the question is: why did you leave in the first place?

not sure what you mean by "changed comunity"? i haven't seen any more/less helpful people then before. there are less rift gankers, but in the Abyss there are more geared people. all in all it's pretty much the same comunity as anywere else.

the PvE is good wile you are levelling. there are tons of quests and a decent ammount of group content. end game is pretty much a lot of pve grinding to get pvp gear. basically the "end game" in Aion is pvp.

there are lots of people in the 30s/40s/50 range but lower levels can  feel a bit lonely. however, it doesnt take long to get to 30 now days.

mostly vanity items, but i'v never actually bought anything from there.

i also suggest doing the free trial.

• SyllendaleSyllendale Member UncommonPosts: 162

Thanks so far :) .. I do have the trial and playing but with its restrictions its abit tough to judge, cant talk to anyone to ask even something simple, so its why I came here to ask and what not. So far, its the same as before, better graphics. 

I left before cause people just didnt seem helpful in the least and it was gear up or shut up. I guess Im considered casual cause I dont PVP like Im in a FPS and hitting jump more than "W" to walk straight.  If more can chime in I'd appreciate the replies. :) 

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

Thanks so far :) .. I do have the trial and playing but with its restrictions its abit tough to judge, cant talk to anyone to ask even something simple, so its why I came here to ask and what not. So far, its the same as before, better graphics. 

I left before cause people just didnt seem helpful in the least and it was gear up or shut up. I guess Im considered casual cause I dont PVP like Im in a FPS and hitting jump more than "W" to walk straight.  If more can chime in I'd appreciate the replies. :) 

this game is still very much gear dependent, so if you want to be competitive then prepare to grind lots and lots of mobs. wile they have greately reduced the level grind, the gear grind is still very much there especially for the good stuff. as for hte ass hats , they are in every game and they usually greately out number the good guys,  but that's just a fact of life. just play your game and if people are stupid do not interact with them.  

personaly i'm also very casual and if i can make to level 55 and partake in a few sieges, see all the zones, i'll be happy. by no means will i sit there and farm millions of Abyss points to get myself the best gold gear. or level 5 toons to 30 so i can get the golden twink armor set and go farm lowbes for easy Abyss points. but there are people that do.

you will never be able to completely avoid pvp in Aion, but if you have some patience and dont get bothered too much by the odd ganker there is plenty of fun to be had in this game.  

• MichielMichiel Member UncommonPosts: 235

Don't worry about being ganked anywhere but in the Abyss. People who come to the maps you're leveling in get a massive debuff. Even a level 20 will be able to kill a level 50 because of it.

• fodell54fodell54 Member RarePosts: 865

Originally posted by Michiel

Don't worry about being ganked anywhere but in the Abyss. People who come to the maps you're leveling in get a massive debuff. Even a level 20 will be able to kill a level 50 because of it.

I'm not saying this is BS because I havent played in about 1 1/2 months. But I can tell you when I was around 25-30ish ( I stop playing at around lvl 49) I was getting 3 shotted by lvl 55s in the lvl 30ish zones I was leveling in.So, unless NCsoft put that patch in i don't know.

Either way it really doesn't matter you just go back to your spawn point and keep playing. Nothing lost except for a little of your time.

• mugengaiamugengaia Member Posts: 347

Originally posted by fodell54

I'm not saying this is BS because I havent played in about 1 1/2 months. But I can tell you when I was around 25-30ish ( I stop playing at around lvl 49) I was getting 3 shotted by lvl 55s in the lvl 30ish zones I was leveling in.So, unless NCsoft put that patch in i don't know.

Either way it really doesn't matter you just go back to your spawn point and keep playing. Nothing lost except for a little of your time.

I'm sorry to tell you this, but you just proved you're full of shit. 

55s from other faction cannot rift into 30ish zones you speak of, LMFAO.

If you're gonna talk shit about the game because you don't like it, just be honest about your animosity for the game, and not make yourself look stupid in the process...

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Haven't seen such a bad troll post in a long time.

GRIND sucks? You wanna be max level in a month?
    Since when did society award easy-goers and lazy-fools?
    MAKES ME PHOBIC OF STUPIDITY!

• VooDoo_PapaVooDoo_Papa Member UncommonPosts: 897

The end game is more PvP than PvE.  However you can PvE as much as you wish, PvP isnt really forced, unless you consider defending yourself against roaming duo's or 3 people looking for the soloer to gank.  Theres a lot of PvE to be had throughout the entire game

Honestly Ive played for a long time and really the only place you need to watch your back is in the abyss.  This could depend on server (im on israphel) but its not some crazy gank fest as some people might want you to think...even IN the abyss.

The cash shop items are pretty much all vanity items.  Couple exceptions.

A pet that can detect non-stealthed enemy players.  Pretty much useless.  Couple pets that can carry items for expanded inventory.  A new pet that will autoloot killed mobs, pve, nothing game breaking.

Regardless of what faction you play right now you can catch up to the folks who are at end game.  If you're elyos on the NA servers you'll enjoy nearly total abyss control that will help you gear up.  If you're asmo you'll get a lot of bonuses for being on the losing faction.

the game has a lot of content, a lot more than people give it credit for.  Theres some really unique game mechanics as well and im not speaking strictly combat related.   One of the games downfalls is still the RNG for certain gear drops and enchantments

• TheCalamityTheCalamity Member UncommonPosts: 58

Originally posted by fodell54

Unless you were in the abyss, thats impossible. 55s cant get into hieron, beluslan, morhiem, or eltnen, and thedebuff is strong enough that a 40 can take an average geared 46-50 player in beluslan/hieron. Although in the NA we have biweekly events where in beluslan/hieron the buff is off one week, on the next.

Ganking is unavoidable in the abyss, some people just like to grief and theres nothign you can do. But those people are few and inbetween now, since most people are in the gelkamos/inggison content (50+ zone).

Either way the game is MUCH more friendlier to the pver that it's almost sad what they have done to pvp. The instances are pretty easy now after each patch since 2.0 making besh temple slightly easier, although you are still going to have to run it 20-40 times to get your full set, if not more. 

I'de say try it out, I'm going on 2 years with the game, and still love it :]

• TolmosTolmos Member UncommonPosts: 141

A) Has community changed and are they helpful or elitists (if I spelled it right).  Also is it "high".. (is the game thriving?)

B) Is the new PVE content worth the download / monthly fee , will the fun outlast the month to start enough to keep playing.

C) Is the end content more PVP than PVE.

D) With so many ahead of me in levels, are there enough low level players to make me feel Im in the game. 

E) I see you can buy things from NC Shop.. is this like buying pay to win or is it merely things Im gonna want cause I love vanity items?

Point of view from a new(ish) player:

A) I started about 4 months ago. I currently have 3 characters, two in the 30s and one around 44. During my time playing, I've run into a TON of helpful people that have answered a lot of questions, been willing to help with quests (mentoring system helps) and even offered random bits of gear they crafted. Now, that said: LEGIONS seem to be pretty elitist. I've spent the past week looking for just one legion on Israphel Elyos side that takes people pre-level 50 (I really just want a group of folks to talk to while I level, since leveling 40+ is a nightmarish grind). I cannot find one. Every legion gives the same reply: "come back at level 50". Im sure there is one legion out there that would take a pre-level 50, I just haven't found it. So new players be warned there: you won't find much by way of community at first

B) If you find the class that suits you the most, I think you will enjoy a lot of the gameplay. And there are a lot of little things (like PvP Rifts) which can keep the game interesting as you plow through. Once you hit the 40s it gets a little harder to hang in there, though. I keep telling myself 50 is worth it! lol

C) I can't answer more than what I've heard, but I know legions and players generally can split between pvp players and pve players, much like any other MMO. I'm HOPING I can go pure PvP when I get there lol

D) Yes. This I can say without a doubt. I've run into quite a few people my level as I go, and Ive run into quite a few Asmos my level (or around) while Rifting.

E) So far it is all vanity items EXCEPT the pinguin suit. That gives you a minor stat boost, and has started a massive conspiracy theory fest that we'll all be buying levels and kinah off the store before september is out. Most of us leave them to their tin foil hats and keep playing. It's all vanity items, basically.

• manny702manny702 Member Posts: 13

to tell u the truth am surpirsed more people havnt played this game ive basically tried out every free trail rift Warhammer AOC basically all of them WoW and when i tried Aion online i was blown out of my mine. This game has it all the epic wings the epic looking skills and gear and the guy above me said its hard to get a legion not really i got one at the level 15 lol and there very helpful in almost anything i need help in. Also people really are nice in this game and welcoming and help u in quest getting better gear and grinding has been cut down alot so its not that bad if u think grinding in aion is bad play PWI or cabal kill 80 mobs in 2 hours for 2% exp lets see what u think of grinding after that lol but ya mate i realy think u should buy and give the game a try plus its only 10 bucks with shipping the game with 30 free days in amazon.com so ya its not bad at all keeps u entertained for at least 3-5 hours lol so thats my opnion good luck hope to see u ingame.

• xBludxxBludx Member Posts: 376

Originally posted by VooDoo_Papa

Regardless of what faction you play right now you can catch up to the folks who are at end game.  If you're elyos on the NA servers you'll enjoy nearly total abyss control that will help you gear up.  If you're asmo you'll get a lot of bonuses for being on the losing faction.

Interesting. The last time I played/checked in, Elyos was really outnumbered and complaining about it. It was a long time ago, obviously.

I have both Elyos and Asmo toons (on different servers, of course). I never made it past level 26, but I think about coming back from time to time.

My question is, how does faction balance affect the game other than in the ways mentioned in the above quote? It sounds like being Asmo would be discouraging. Are the bonuses worth it? And if you are Elyos, you can get all the gear, but it might be boring to win all the time. And doesn't the imbalance create a worse imbalance because the Elyos will have better gear overall? I'm not sure how it works. If anyone has any insight, it would be interesting to read.

• pedrostrikpedrostrik Member UncommonPosts: 396

Originally posted by xBludx

Originally posted by VooDoo_Papa

Interesting. The last time I played/checked in, Elyos was really outnumbered and complaining about it. It was a long time ago, obviously.

I have both Elyos and Asmo toons (on different servers, of course). I never made it past level 26, but I think about coming back from time to time.

My question is, how does faction balance affect the game other than in the ways mentioned in the above quote? It sounds like being Asmo would be discouraging. Are the bonuses worth it? And if you are Elyos, you can get all the gear, but it might be boring to win all the time. And doesn't the imbalance create a worse imbalance because the Elyos will have better gear overall? I'm not sure how it works. If anyone has any insight, it would be interesting to read.

faction couraging really matters to level up, and to be a underdog it makes your faction community better , and you always get pvp in pvp zones .

I find instances fortress boring (maybe the worst crap instance design on this game), and people avoid it at max cause you always have esoterrace-far away better instance that offers pvp abyss itens in more quantity and boss drops.

• FailtrainFailtrain Member Posts: 129

Good questions :]

I stopped playing Aion a little while before the patch came out that brought in the 'ground abyss' or whatever it's called. What I'd really like to know on top of the OP's questions is wether or not flight combat is still heavily in favor of ranged classes and assassins are still gimped in the air, haha. Thought he/she may want to know that too!

• manny702manny702 Member Posts: 13

Wow guys stop asking so much and try the game out if u dnt want to try the trail amazon is selling the game for 10 bucks with shipping and 30 days in game time go try it out because theres alot of people that will tell u that the game suucks it still suucks and in reality what might suck to them u might actually like so try the game it has change sooooooooo much with 2.6 and all its patches basically it did a 360 turn around in everything really all i have to say is this if NCSOFT had released aion with the 2.6 patch it has now when it was first realesed in what 2009? i think then the game would have at least x5 more subs then it would have now or maybe even x10 more because the graphics of the game are better less bots and less grind for gear and less grind to level up its changed alot just try it out dnt take people's opinions try it out if u dnt like it then its ok to quite but try it out aion is not a game to overlook thats my suggestion.