Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

It is time to fight back and save what we love!

Comments

• KillyoxKillyox Member CommonPosts: 424

Originally posted by redpet241

I have started a steam based group with the intent of boycotting SWTOR because it is obvious that the reason SWG is being shut down is to divert players into that game to make more money. If sony and Lucas arts will not listen to petitions then we as dedicated players of SWG must not allow our voices to be heard and must spring to action in the hope of rescueing something we love. We have a few months to rally enough support for this boycott so spread the word quickly.

Redpet241.

The steam group is Save SWG boycott SWTOR

you need to learn more about economics and licensing rights

swg will not be brought back and soe has nothing in the say at all

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

Originally posted by superniceguy

It is not just SWG fans that will joiin in the Boycott, but people from other games planning on playing SWTOR too .

Why would players who have no clue about SWG boycott TOR because of what happened to SWG? Bioware had nothing to do with the disaster that is SWG so there is no connection between the two except for the fact that it is Star Wars. 

The obvious shutdown for SWG to make way for SWTOR, is now starting to make SWTOR fans think about what they may be getting into.

No it hasn't and TOR had nothing to do with SWG shutting down. That tiny minority of people still playing that game was no threat whatsoever to TOR. Lucasarts has a HUGE market of Star Wars related games in the stores now all competing with each other. Why is that?

As to what TOR fans think, go to the TOR forums sometime and mention SWG. Then count how many times you are told "this isn't SWG 2.0." Most fans of that game either didn't like SWG or did like it once, but are ready for something else. 

After 8 years of SWG and shelling out over $1440 for each account, now got nothing to show for it, execpt fun times of playing it, but with KOTOR only paid about $50 and still have memories of playing it, but can still play it again today.

Sorry, but you knew before you even started that the game could possibly shut down someday. You also had that nice big scrawl that you read before playing SWG that SOE reserved the right to do whatever they wanted to with the game. That's the risk you take when you pay for an MMORPG. 

SWTOR will be in the same boat one day - shut down, and I bet before WOW is too

EVERY MMORPG will be in that boat one day. That's the point. Every game gets old after a period of time and players look for something different. 

I am sure that SOE and LA could easily keep both games going for a bit longer, and if they did then there would be zero reason to boycott SWTOR etc and LA would get more money at the start. If they don't get their 2 million at start what will they do? Another NGE or shut down the game?

What would be the point of keeping a game going that isn't profitable? SOE and Lucasarts aren't charities, they are businesses. If you want to do a REAL cause, you would be asking for people to come back to SWG and give it one more try before the game goes belly up.  But you should have been doing that a LONG time ago. The first hint should have been the first time you walked into Eisley's cantina and saw no players there. 

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• Trident9259Trident9259 Member UncommonPosts: 860

Originally posted by TUX426

Originally posted by Phry

boycotting SW:TOR for the sake of SWG would not only be pointless.. it would be a complete waste of time.. it really is time to move on.image

This!

It's just a game - get over it already.

Pre-Cu was a game... still not sure how to describe the NGE without breaking this forums' TOS. 

• ericlatrelleericlatrelle Member UncommonPosts: 176

F#&k SWG. Period. Let. It. Freaking. Die.

• BogieBogie Member UncommonPosts: 65

Once I heard it was shutting down I cancelled my sub, uninstalled the game, threw the CDs of the games I had in the thrash and contacted SOE about deleteing my Station account all together.  The only reason I did this is so I wouldn't be sucked back into the game in December.  The only reason I was back playing it was an old guild mate talked me into coming back.  I did enjoy the game when I first came back again, but after about a month it was a grindfest again and reminded me why I left in the first place.  I am glad they are finally shutting it down, it should have been done years ago.  I am looking forward to seeing SW:TOR has to offer, since I 've enjoyed some of Biowares games.

Bogie

Corellian Run
    Jedi Sentinel

• wrekognizewrekognize Member UncommonPosts: 388

Originally posted by Bogie

Once I heard it was shutting down I cancelled my sub, uninstalled the game, threw the CDs of the games I had in the thrash and contacted SOE about deleteing my Station account all together.  The only reason I did this is so I wouldn't be sucked back into the game in December.  The only reason I was back playing it was an old guild mate talked me into coming back.  I did enjoy the game when I first came back again, but after about a month it was a grindfest again and reminded me why I left in the first place.  I am glad they are finally shutting it down, it should have been done years ago.  I am looking forward to seeing SW:TOR has to offer, since I 've enjoyed some of Biowares games.

too bad you threw the CDs away. those go for anywhere between $30 to $90 on amazon, depending on the version you have...

• ukforzeukforze Member Posts: 331

I have started a steam based group with the intent of boycotting SWTOR because it is obvious that the reason SWG is being shut down is to divert players into that game to make more money. If sony and Lucas arts will not listen to petitions then we as dedicated players of SWG must not allow our voices to be heard and must spring to action in the hope of rescueing something we love. We have a few months to rally enough support for this boycott so spread the word quickly.

Redpet241.

Dude chill & stop wasting your breath {mod edit}

So why try & save a pityful game with about 25 subscribers?

Please stop now.

The Deathstar destroyed planets...Lucas Arts destroyed Galaxies

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
    Played:
    SWG | EVE | WOW | VG | LOTRO | WAR | FML | STO | APB | AOC | MORTAL | WOT | BP | SW:TOR

• ukforzeukforze Member Posts: 331

Originally posted by wrekognize

too bad you threw the CDs away. those go for anywhere between $30 to $90 on amazon, depending on the version you have...

LOL WTF?

You can buy swg for a couple of pound on play.com & JTL for about 99p

...you know why? ...cos thats all its worth.

The Deathstar destroyed planets...Lucas Arts destroyed Galaxies

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
    Played:
    SWG | EVE | WOW | VG | LOTRO | WAR | FML | STO | APB | AOC | MORTAL | WOT | BP | SW:TOR

• ObeeObee Member Posts: 1,550

Originally posted by ukforze

Originally posted by wrekognize

LOL WTF?

You can buy swg for a couple of pound on play.com & JTL for about 99p

...you know why? ...cos thats all its worth.

Factoring in the packaging materials and CDs, I'd say that price is still way too high.

• BogieBogie Member UncommonPosts: 65

Who is buy CDs for a game that is dead?

Bogie

Corellian Run
    Jedi Sentinel

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

I say boycott SWG , the game always had problems anyway, boycott SWG and bring back The Matrix online yea!!

• CasualMakerCasualMaker Member UncommonPosts: 862

Originally posted by Bogie

Who is buy CDs for a game that is dead?

Someone who needs actual physical installation disks, because a downloaded client won't do for their purpose.

• ThunderousThunderous Member Posts: 1,152

Why would anyone want to save this steaming pile of crap?  SWG died when the NGE hit, this monstrosity of a game that only desperate people would actually PAY to play needs to go away, and thank goodness it is.

Tecmo Bowl.

• P2PGamerP2PGamer Member Posts: 121

Redpet241.

While I commend your effort, SOE never negotiated a new license.  SOE pulled their own plug and are sinking their own game.  Sure, they were probably already told not to bother, but SMED himself admitted they didn't even try.  There is no hope with this.  When can all sit around crying over the game that was or enjoy the new Star Wars universe for what it is.  BioWare never promised us a sandbox MMORPG so we need to stop acting like 4-year olds over BioWare's vision for the game.  It's their game that we will pay to play.  If you don't like it then don't buy it. 

Power to the Sheeple

• jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,698

Redpet241.

Ultimate fail.

• neorandomneorandom Member Posts: 1,681

Redpet241.

well right off the bat, swtor has more presales then swg ever had active subs.

swg shut down because their license to star wars ran out and they couldnt afford to buy another.

im glad you liked swg post nge, good for you, but the ride is over, all rides must eventually come to an end

im not saying you should play swtor, but do not not play it out of hatred and spite, thats not a healthy attitude, carefull or youll end up like a jaded wow fanboy.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.

Through passion, I gain strength.

Through strength, I gain power.

Through power, I gain victory.

Through victory, my chains are broken.

The Force shall free me.

• GPrestigeGPrestige Member UncommonPosts: 523

What is there, like 20 people playing SWG? Good luck with the boycott!

This is my favorite part:

"If sony and Lucas arts will not listen to petitions then we as dedicated players of SWG must not allow our voices to be heard"

-Computer specs no one cares about: check.

-MMOs played no one cares about: check.

-Xfire stats no one cares about: check.

-Signature no one cares about: check.

------------------------------------------------------------
    -Narcissism: check.

• eyeswideopeneyeswideopen Member Posts: 2,414

Originally posted by GPrestige

What is there, like 20 people playing SWG? Good luck with the boycott!

This is my favorite part:

"If sony and Lucas arts will not listen to petitions then we as dedicated players of SWG must not allow our voices to be heard"

Well, at least they'll be successes at that. lol

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-
    -And on the 8th day, man created God.-

• bleed0rangebleed0range Member Posts: 109

I just checked the number of signatures on the petition list, and after what, two months almost... they've only managed to get 4,214 signatures as of this post.  Now, that gives all the players some perspective.  There are probably only around 5,000 total people who were seriously invested in the game at this point, enough of a fan, to sign the petition. 

• GPrestigeGPrestige Member UncommonPosts: 523

Originally posted by bleed0range

I just checked the number of signatures on the petition list, and after what, two months almost... they've only managed to get 4,214 signatures as of this post.  Now, that gives all the players some perspective.  There are probably only around 5,000 total people who were seriously invested in the game at this point, enough of a fan, to sign the petition. 

In fact, that petition probably reinforces SOE's decision to shut it down.

-Computer specs no one cares about: check.

-MMOs played no one cares about: check.

-Xfire stats no one cares about: check.

-Signature no one cares about: check.

------------------------------------------------------------
    -Narcissism: check.

• ViewDooViewDoo Member Posts: 268

Not trolling. Would honestly like to know. Is there an example of an online petition ever working for anything? I mean has it ever happened where a cause would have failed, except at the last minute the online petition saved the day? Let it go.

• bleed0rangebleed0range Member Posts: 109

Originally posted by ViewDoo

Not trolling. Would honestly like to know. Is there an example of an online petition ever working for anything? I mean has it ever happened where a cause would have failed, except at the last minute the online petition saved the day? Let it go.

Generally no, since online petitions aren't very professional since people can sign them as mickey mouse with an email of @goscwurslf.com or something.  It's not really likely a business is going to reverse a decision on signatures like that.  No, the only thing that really makes a company change it's mind is money, more than usual. 

Like when Fox brought back Family Guy, only because it did so well in DVD sales and syndication.  And even then, it took a ridiculous amount of fans to bring it and Futurama back.  For Sony and LA to seriously reverse this decision, there would have to be an impossibly unrealsitic number of people to suddenly come back and subscribe... and the time frame for that is almost passed as well as any huge spike in numbers now would be seen just as people paying for the sunset period.

So in other words, there's no saving the game.  8 years is a long time, especially for a game SOE messed up as bad as they did.

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043

If this sort of thing worked we would have a PreCU server.

• BadSpock2BadSpock2 Member Posts: 96

The needs of the many out weigh the needs of the few, or the one.

Resistence if futile.

Your life, as it has been, is over.

From this point forward, you will service.... us...

Long live the Republic!

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163

This is sad and familiar at the same time for a few reasons.

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter