Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What If... was Mass Effect the MMORPG?

elvenwolfelvenwolf Member UncommonPosts: 146

Hello.

This post is just for a mere curiosity, is not a bashing of SWTOR, i have not played it, i am excited at the tought of playing it, i have preordered it, for what i have seen i will enjoy it, is just a little "What if".

I am enamoured of the universe Bioware created with Mass Effect, i think is one of the most incredible sci fi settings i have played , is complex, feels real , locations, characters, ships, stations, worlds, lore, races i love everything of Mass Effect, so i little thing popped out in my head "What if instead of Star Wars, they developed the Mass Effect MMO?"

What do you think? seeing i am partial is obvius i'd be frothing at the mouth at the prospect of playing a permanent universe of Mass Effect, even if i can't envision all the technical and design difficulties to bring a single player RPG to a permament world, PvP alone as balancing probably would be a nightmare, but i think Bioware could pull it if they really wanted.

So, would you have liked a Mass Effect RPG by Bioware?

Companions, ships, all the shebang.

Comments

• L0stL0st Member Posts: 77

Mass Effect MMO?  No thanks...

• nerrollusnerrollus Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 214

I'd play it ... I'm dying for a good sci-fi MMO. Especially if it had FPS style combat. I'm sick of all the sword and board, elves and fairies garbage.

• elvenwolfelvenwolf Member UncommonPosts: 146

Originally posted by Vaed

Mass Effect MMO?  No thanks...

I am curios, why not? I mean, would ruin the experience? Is too story centric to make a good MMO? I understand that what make it great is also the fact you change the story, but seem they are trying to do something similar with SWTOR, so maybe they could it with their own universe, but i am curios about the cons too, obviously i see only good things, more minds, more ideas, i am curios to understand also the "would be better not" side of the equation.

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

Myself (and i know quite a few other people) are sorta hoping that SWTOR will be "learning experience" that bioware needs in order to make a really good ME MMO down the line.  

Just like any company, they're sure to make a whole bunch of mistakes with SWTOR and hopefully learn from the before starting up on their own IP.  

The Mass Effect universe would be a very cool place to live.

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• TrokarnTrokarn Member Posts: 68

Originally posted by arieste

Myself (and i know quite a few other people) are sorta hoping that SWTOR will be "learning experience" that bioware needs in order to make a really good ME MMO down the line.  

Just like any company, they're sure to make a whole bunch of mistakes with SWTOR and hopefully learn from the before starting up on their own IP.  

The Mass Effect universe would be a very cool place to live.

That's exactly what I am hoping for. I love the Mass Effect Universe. I would definitely play a ME MMO.

• RuinalRuinal Member Posts: 195

Not too sure how they'd manage a progression framework to keep people playing a Mass Effect mmo, gear based perhaps? I'm not against it persay, but cannot see how they would pull it off.

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

MMOs have a higher chance of tarnishing an IP, I doubt theyd risk that anytime soon considering how much money the series makes them on single player.

• thexratedthexrated Member UncommonPosts: 1,368

Mass Effect is the Star Wars of this decade. It is a good space opera setting and no doubt would do well as a MMO.

"The person who experiences greatness must have a feeling for the myth he is in."

• AvatarBladeAvatarBlade Member UncommonPosts: 757

Originally posted by Kabaal

MMOs have a higher chance of tarnishing an IP, I doubt theyd risk that anytime soon considering how much money the series makes them on single player.

Well they are just releasing SWTOR. So say in 7-8 years time, it would be possible to have ME as an MMO I guess.

• EladiEladi Member UncommonPosts: 1,145

One of the gameplay moments in ME that always struck me a  "Damn I want this in MMO land" are the moon /independed bases.

Imagen that you and your guild could create your own base on a random moon and its size depending on how many time and effort you put into it. imagen being able to be "cast out" by a hostile take over so secretcy of your location and scouting planets for resorces and other indepent groups (guilds) would be a requirement for both growth and security.

The ME univerce is huge, the portals (ME gates) ever expanding deeper into space so plenty of room to hide and plot or simply build your factory/science base and produce stuff to bring to the markets what would require a transport of the goods to Ionic planets (legal goods) or blackmarket dangerus planets for the less legal goods.

Trow it all into a galactic war (thier plenty of  terminus systems type of groups that could be the setting ) and you create a dynamic warfare system. the orginal known space could serve well for non-pvp players who are more into pve missions and roleplay (non rp-pvp players)

posibilities are endless... the cost however ..might be a little to much to do even for bioware/ea

• mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356

Yeah, I'd much more prefer Mass Effect Online then SW: ToR. I dont find Star Wars Universe exciting at all

• yodablazeyodablaze Member Posts: 234

Originally posted by thexrated

Mass Effect is the Star Wars of this decade. It is a good space opera setting and no doubt would do well as a MMO.

Sorry but you couldn't be more wrong. Mass Effect 1&2 were fun but the story is very limiting. The universe isn't nearly as vast and creative as the Star Wars universe, in fact a lot of the alien types are rips from Star Wars.

As an mmo, no thanks. All Bioware has is story and dialog and I can only deal with so much scifi dialog in a one player environment. I can put up with it for Tor but nothing else (Tor is fantasy scifi and it's Star Wars, enough said). If they did a Jade Empire mmo, I would go crazy. I wouldn't mind the story building aspect of game play in a game like Jade Empire. 

• GrungiGrungi Member Posts: 86

Love Mass Effect, would definately play an ME MMOG, though I'd much prefer it was an MMOFPS than an MMORPG.

One of the times when I would really want to play a sandbox MMO with multiple factions and open world PvP. My Batarian slavers would have a lot of fun raiding Alliance outposts. :)

• mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356

Originally posted by yodablaze

If they did a Jade Empire mmo, I would go crazy

Trading their best game for their worst? Noway

• thexratedthexrated Member UncommonPosts: 1,368

Originally posted by yodablaze

Originally posted by thexrated

Sorry but you couldn't be more wrong. Mass Effect 1&2 were fun but the story is very limiting. The universe isn't nearly as vast and creative as the Star Wars universe, in fact a lot of the alien types are rips from Star Wars.

Just like Star Wars ripped off from those that came before it (talking mainly about books here). Mass Effect universe is as complex as Star Wars was prior to EU stuff. Both are what  is know seen as a fairly standard Space Opera fanfare.

"The person who experiences greatness must have a feeling for the myth he is in."

• SlyGamer79SlyGamer79 Member Posts: 278

eh No about a mass effect mmo lol hell a Pokemon MMO would be more doable rofl.

PSN-SlyFox5679
    Xfire-Slyfox5679
    raptr-slygamer1979

• Swollen_BeefSwollen_Beef Member UncommonPosts: 190

I dont see how it would work. The current ME game has a team working behind the scenes to set up victory for the entire galaxy. i dont see how thousands of teams working behind the scenes makes it palateable. 

I shudder at the thought of a reaper sitting around doing nothing, just waiting twiddling its, uh... apendages for some 3 man team to come by and kill it for its phat loots. 

Now, if it was centered around the First Contact war, then maybe you might have something there. 

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912

There is a thread on this topic from only three days ago: http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/323736/Would-a-Mass-Effect-MMO-be-too-close-to-SWTOR.html 

It's a good idea to look at the first few pages of the forum to see if a topic is covered, because it might already be there. Thanks.

Locking this one as a duplicate topic.

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

This discussion has been closed.