Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dark and Light: Exclusive Screens, Week #6

DanaDana Member Posts: 2,415
Today we present you with three exclusive new Dark & Light screenshots direct from Farlan. These three images continue the weekly series, which includes a Q&A every other week, on our site.

Thank you to the team for sending these along!

Dana Massey
Formerly of MMORPG.com
Currently Lead Designer for Bit Trap Studios

Comments

• ZongoZongo Member Posts: 18

I can't understand they keep the breed we see on 3rd screen as it was at E3.
    It's ugly :(
    Two first screenshots are ok.

• neschrianeschria Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

I actually sort of thought the little person in the third screen was intriguing, but I seem to be attracted to odd species in games. So, that's probably why they keep it-- some of us will enjoy the odd and the ugly.

This is where I draw the line: __________________.

• ElnatorElnator Member Posts: 6,077

Considering how new this game is the graphics aren't all that awe inspiring.

Currently Playing: Dungeons and Dragons Online.
    Sig image Pending
    Still in: A couple Betas

• FlyingstarFlyingstar Member Posts: 3

The character graphics could use some work. I think the land graphics are wonderful though. I'm hoping this will be a great game and I'm going to give it a shot. I don't expect the game to be perfect, but I would like a cute character. image

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991

You know...the more i follow up on this game the less i care about it. the lack of classes kind of bothers me (who knows they may add more hybrid types in before release), the graphics are very bland and boring and the kicker for me is...no dungeons? you have got to be kidding me. I really don't care how big and empty this game world is...who here doesn't like a good dungeon crawl now and then...

Oh, that's right...the graphics engine program they stole only generates surface areas. heheh. image

Joined - July 2004

• PuoltryPuoltry Member Posts: 956

Well it appears yet another developer taking a bit too long to get a finished product.I dont know but i think this one is a bit overhyped.
    Whatever graphics engine is being used it must be a bit old.Even Lineage 2 looks better than this.I know graphics dont make up for good gameplay but when a Xbox game looks better id think twice about even subscribing.

Want to ENJOY an mmo?

Dont start a guild and dont be a leader or volunteer to be coleader or captain.

Just play the damn game:)

• IamThFEARIamThFEAR Member Posts: 8
    The only reason I gave this game a 2nd look was it's hype rating.  These new screen shots just reinforce the serious doubts I had about this game.  It gave me flashbacks of WISH, remember that laugher? image 

I think alot of MMO devs make that mistake. They start talking up there game wwwaaayyy too early. Just keep your mouth shut, build the game...then when it's just about ready to be beta tested, then and only then...should they start trying to hype.

and to FEAR. Ya i was on the servers when they pulled them down and closed shop lol...that was too funny.

good times, good times.image

Joined - July 2004

• StormsenderStormsender Member Posts: 39

Originally posted by IamThFEAR
    The only reason I gave this game a 2nd look was it's hype rating.  These new screen shots just reinforce the serious doubts I had about this game.  It gave me flashbacks of WISH, remember that laugher? image 

Yes I remember WISH, and I have to agree that the graphics in D&L are looking almost the same. Which means this games graphics technologies must be dated even before getting out the door. I have seen some ok screen shots but I have also seen some that look like a**.
  • MisfitZMisfitZ Member Posts: 368

Are you guys high?

The only thing wrong with those screenies is a lack of AA. Otherwise the graphics are great. Perhaps the art stylization isn't as appealing to some as, say, Lineage 2's bondage motif. That's a subjective opinion.

Could any of you yokels give a hard reason, a real critique, as to why those screenshots are sub-par?

Other than the lack of AA, which I already noted.

-----------------------------
    Listen Asmodeeus, seven years ago, Ultima Online didn't even have those pathetic "quests" that you refer to or those "professions" of ninja, samurai, necromancer, and paladin. Nor did it have any of the neon crap, or bug mounts. It didn't even have any "combat moves." You turned on attack and jousted with simplistic swings. It was a better game then. if you can't guess why then just uninstall the thing and move along. - Crabby

• PhoenixsPhoenixs Member Posts: 2,646

I don't see how anyone can like the graphics in this game ::::03::. The character are ok, but the enviroments are disgusting ::::05::. I can't see that anyone prefers generated stuff infront of enviroments made by artists.
    DnL's enviroments look way to empty and there are no landmarks or really cool spots like in other games.
    Just plain generated mountains with trees splattered on. ::::12::

• ScarisScaris Member UncommonPosts: 5,332

Originally posted by Phoenixs
    I don't see how anyone can like the graphics in this game ::::03::. The character are ok, but the enviroments are disgusting ::::05::. I can't see that anyone prefers generated stuff infront of enviroments made by artists.
    DnL's enviroments look way to empty and there are no landmarks or really cool spots like in other games.
    Just plain generated mountains with trees splattered on. ::::12::

Actually I am the other way around. I think the enviroments are fairly decent yet the player models and textures are rather off.

- Scaris

"What happened to you, Star Wars Galaxies? You used to look like Leia. Not quite gold bikini Leia (more like bad-British-accent-and-cinnamon-bun-hair Leia), but still Leia nonetheless. Now you look like Chewbacca." - Computer Gaming World

Originally posted by MisfitZ
    Are you guys high?

The only thing wrong with those screenies is a lack of AA. Otherwise the graphics are great. Perhaps the art stylization isn't as appealing to some as, say, Lineage 2's bondage motif. That's a subjective opinion.
    Could any of you yokels give a hard reason, a real critique, as to why those screenshots are sub-par?
    Other than the lack of AA, which I already noted.

I agree when it comes to the terrain about AA. Most of the screencaps they release have been scaled down which hides the AA jaggedness. Atleast the ones I have seen HERE. I however don't check their site since I don't have alot of interest in the game. However the the player models to me need alot of work. Also I think the terrain is lacking in some shadowing, or perhaps the screenshots I am seeing just arent at the game's full potention which could very well be true. However I don't see shadowing used as well as it could be in this day and age in the screenshots I have seen thus far.

Until I see it with AA on I can't really say anything more, simply because AA can make a dramatic difference in a game. I had that problem with EQ II when I first started. I couldn't for the life of me figure out what was wrong but everything looked like paper cut outs in front of a backdrop til I turned on AA. Made all the difference in the world. I may even be wrong about the shadowing, but it does seem to me its not used as much as it should be.

The character textures seem alittle outlandish to me and disproportionate. If you want me to go into more detail then that I will take a look at some screenshots, yours of choosing if you like and explain to you what I see.

Good gaming!

- Scaris

"What happened to you, Star Wars Galaxies? You used to look like Leia. Not quite gold bikini Leia (more like bad-British-accent-and-cinnamon-bun-hair Leia), but still Leia nonetheless. Now you look like Chewbacca." - Computer Gaming World

• HarafnirHarafnir Member UncommonPosts: 1,350

It is all low poly with some awful mapping that any amateur can do better with Photoshop and five minutes. Making the ground a green flat surface with three flowers per square mile is not cutting it either in this day and age. It did not even work when DaoC did it back in the day.

Worst thing of all. It looks even worse in action... They have some neat ideas, but not the artists to make them happen. I was so hyped about this game.. until I saw it. It is an amateur project. But then.. Shadowbane was as well and that survived for quite some time.

"This is not a game to be tossed aside lightly.
    It should be thrown with great force"

Originally posted by neschria
    I actually sort of thought the little person in the third screen was intriguing, but I seem to be attracted to odd species in games. So, that's probably why they keep it-- some of us will enjoy the odd and the ugly.

My short as you can get Lurikeen rocks ;)

- Scaris

• anubisssanubisss Member Posts: 325

Originally posted by Zongo
    I can't understand they keep the breed we see on 3rd screen as it was at E3.
    It's ugly :(
    Two first screenshots are ok.

That breed is called a Lutin..Its a playable race in dnl.......

Originally posted by remyburke
    You know...the more i follow up on this game the less i care about it. the lack of classes kind of bothers me (who knows they may add more hybrid types in before release), the graphics are very bland and boring and the kicker for me is...no dungeons? you have got to be kidding me. I really don't care how big and empty this game world is...who here doesn't like a good dungeon crawl now and then...
    Oh, that's right...the graphics engine program they stole only generates surface areas. heheh. image

You dont no what you are talking about..lack of classes...lol there are 14 classes in dnl...

I suggest anyone who needs info on this game instead of listening to people who havent got a clue..

www.stratics.com

I think alot of MMO devs make that mistake. They start talking up there game wwwaaayyy too early. Just keep your mouth shut, build the game...then when it's just about ready to be beta tested, then and only then...should they start trying to hype.
    and to FEAR. Ya i was on the servers when they pulled them down and closed shop lol...that was too funny.
    good times, good times.image

For someone who has been following this game,you sure dont no alot..

Dnl is in beta and has been for 10 months..dnl was meant to be release in april 05,but was pushed back till november.

There are 2000-3000 beta tester at present.august see the invite of 1000s of beta testers...

you make me laugh because you will be one of the ist to play this game....

The beta has NDA contract...you are not even allowed to tell people you are in beta....

Funny enough they have just added 200 more over the last 2 days.

Beleave me when i say dnl will be release in november and if they stay true to there word then nothing out there right now will even come close....

lets see if you feel the same way in 5 months....i douht it very much...

Originally posted by anubisss

Oh, that's right...the graphics engine program they stole only generates surface areas. heheh. image

You dont no what you are talking about..lack of classes...lol there are 14 classes in dnl...

I suggest anyone who needs info on this game instead of listening to people who havent got a clue..

www.stratics.com

i mean more hybrid classes. the only one i see is dark knight. lack of hybrid classes is what i was talking about. If you actually read the post instead of getting mad at me for trashing your game you might have noticed that. heheh.

But like i said my biggest problem with this game is that their will be no dungeons at release...i don't understand how you can make an MMO without putting dungeons in. It's a shame too, i had my hopes up for this game...

Joined - July 2004

• shaeshae Member Posts: 2,509

Whilst I tend to agree that the DnL developers are shooting themselves in the foot with the hype this game is getting and keeping it going with screen's that are abstract at best, I tend to put little to no stock in beta screenshots either way.

I remember beta testing SWG, when I was just a wee lass, and reading on the forums how horrible the graphics looked and then thinking to myself, "wow, just you people wait..." Sometimes this was proceeded with a hearty shake of the fist in the air ;). When the game released, for it's time, the graphics were fantastic and everyone was happy with the look of the game, the character creation, environments and more. Shame nothing else went well with that release. *shudder

I've seen some screens from DnL that look like they might be from a game built in the early 90's and then I've seen some that get me all gitty inside and ready to play just by looking at them. I'll keep taking what I see with a grain of salt and reserve my judgement until I can actually play retail, until then it's just hype and nothing more. Whether it's good or bad.