Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWTOR The first mmo that I might be able to role play in?

Odd topic for me, but I really feel jumping into the story of my character at any

time.

Nope. Never roled played at all in 7 years of mmo pew pewing with over 5th titles.

Why? Sounded lame I guess.

I mean I just wanted my fancy gear to pew pew even harder. I didn't care what

my character might have been thinking of feeling while he got shot at by a

another battleship in EvE, electrocuted by Vashj in WoW, broke ass poor in Aion,

or tallying up those killing blows in Rift.

Well, I'm not sure exactly, but it probably has to do with Star Wars being somewhat

memoriable in my childhood. All these other mmos just come off as alien, ironically,

compared to SWTOR. It's funny though because I'm not a massive Star Wars

fan at all. I'm already thinking of if my character should be bold and fearless, or

careful and wise. I deffiently won't be into role playing as the people that really do

it, but I can't help feel that I will be more attached to my future wise/witty consular character

than any other mmo character I've made before.

Pole time

Edit: Sorry for all the awful typos and all. Hit enter when I went for my comma key lol

Comments

• pierthpierth Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

Didn't vote, but you'll find most players don't use the vernacular seen in the EU books. If you're not too hung on that then you should be fine, assuming your server's players aren't the same memespouting jackasses that are in beta.

• NytrisNytris Member Posts: 42

Originally posted by pierth

Didn't vote, but you'll find most players don't use the vernacular seen in the EU books. If you're not too hung on that then you should be fine, assuming your server's players aren't the same memespouting jackasses that are in beta.

I don't think that's the type of role playing I was thinking of. I mean I was just talking about trying to see the game through more of my character like how I try to see the world through any character I'm reading in a book. I've just never been able to do this in a mmo before because I lacked a lot of information to do so.

I know people like to role play with other people, but I'm not sure if I really need that to enjoy it. The story so far from what i've seen seems solid enough to really jump into that perspective.

• SulaaSulaa Member UncommonPosts: 1,329

Originally posted by Nytris

I don't think that's the type of role playing I was thinking of. I mean I was just talking about trying to see the game through more of my character like how I try to see the world through any character I'm reading in a book. I've just never been able to do this in a mmo before because I lacked a lot of information to do so.

That sounds like you will be able to immerse yourself into game world and see your it through your character ,rather than see your character just as meaningless avatar. That's nice and cool and very importnt feature of  game - to allow plyers to immerse into world.

• bigbenzbigbenz Member Posts: 82

Odd topic for me, but I really feel jumping into the story of my character at any

time.

Nope. Never roled played at all in 7 years of mmo pew pewing with over 5th titles.

another battleship in EvE, electrocuted by Vashj in WoW, broke ass poor in Aion,

Well, I'm not sure exactly, but it probably has to do with Star Wars being somewhat

memoriable in my childhood. All these other mmos just come off as alien, ironically,

fan at all. I'm already thinking of if my character should be bold and fearless, or

careful and wise. I deffiently won't be into role playing as the people that really do

it, but I can't help feel that I will be more attached to my future wise/witty consular character

Pole time

Edit: Sorry for all the awful typos and all. Hit enter when I went for my comma key lol

You want what everyone wants. Unfortunalety TOR dont look like that game. ( pre ordered. Was in beta and cancled Preorder) {mod edit} Pre CU SWG was the ONLY game to meet Your needs.

bars+girls+no condoms= babies

• NytrisNytris Member Posts: 42

I don't think I'm excited enough to preorder, but I'm going to buy it to give it a try. After all it is a game where I can really dive into the story line. If it doesn't work for me in the long run at least I enjoyed the leveling content, but I do hope for the best.

• NightAngellNightAngell Member Posts: 566

Originally posted by bigbenz

time.

Pole time

You want what everyone wants. Unfortunalety TOR dont look like that game. ( pre ordered. Was in beta and cancled Preorder) {mod edit} Pre CU SWG was the ONLY game to meet Your needs.

Wrong..

Pre CU SWG was great for RP but their is another mmo that really hits the spot for great RP.

LOTRO Luarelin RP server has some of the best RP you will come across.

http://forums.lotro.com/forumdisplay.php?539-Laurelin-EN-RP&s=88d59c6b51ea8f1ae274f9d14c3a1b02

To the OP.. download lotro and join the RP server to get a taste on how to do it.

• Wharg0ulWharg0ul Member Posts: 4,183

TOR will be fine for character immersion.

ANY time I play a SW game, I try to slip into the character as much as possible. This time around, not only will we have the ability to RP, (as in, playing in character), but we will also have supporting story-based content to assist in the immersion.

No offense to SWG (in any of it's incarnations), but although I loved being in character in that game, there wasn't really any story-based content that made me feel like I was doing things appropriate to my build. Had a lot of fun, but I think SWTOR will just be a more fertile ground for this play style.

And......

As far as RP in LOTRO....first....it's not Star Wars. Second, it's too happy-jolly for me, and third....how immersed can you get when you have prompts for micro-transactions constantly??

• GreenHellGreenHell Member UncommonPosts: 1,323

I just don't see that kind of immersion happening in any MMO any time soon. If for no other reason than the end game. At that point what are your toons motivations? I must kill mobs to get better gear so I can go kill more mobs to get better gear..etc.

I just got finished playing Mass Effect again. My characters motivations are driven by an end goal. Everything you do in that game, every decision you make is leading you towards that. In a MMO you simply do not ever have an end goal because there is no ending. Making everything you do seem trivial and not very important. 

That is why I gave up long ago on caring what my toon would be thinking. I cant imagine that my character would want to do the same daily quests for months on end just for a mount or run the same instances so many times that I lost count for gear.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

Originally posted by bigbenz

time.

Pole time

ROFL. Sorry, but there was nothing immersive about slaughtering animals for XP or jedi flaunting their glow sticks in a time frame they shouldn't have been in. 

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• ChimpsChimps Member Posts: 192

The only game i have ever been able to roleplay in is Star Wars Jedi Academy.

I haven't been able to roleplay in any MMORPG or any other TPS game.

I have always wanted to roleplay with someone but people just think i'm weird or stupid for wanting to do so.

I guess roleplaying in mmorpgs nowadays is when you pretend to be somebody else, be a different personality.

• Distopia2Distopia2 Member Posts: 574

That's exactly how I am gonna be approaching TOR, and like you I've never done so in an MMO before. To be quite honest I was always a jerk in SWG, came with running with the leets I guess. Will be running with the same B-fin peeps in TOR, but I've cooled out over the last six years lol.

To SB fans, please stop making our demographic look bad.Stop invading threads that have nothing to do with sandboxes.

SW:TOR Graphics Evolution and Comparison

SW:TOR Compare MMO Quests, Combat and More...

• artemisentr4artemisentr4 Member UncommonPosts: 1,431

I know people like to role play with other people, but I'm not sure if I really need that to enjoy it. The story so far from what i've seen seems solid enough to really jump into that perspective.

I think that is something that will come much easier in TOR. You will have your personal class story to shape your idea of who your character is in the game. Then take that with you into the group play like flashpoints and world group stories. So your experience with your character will differ from other players based on what choices you make along the way. That should make you feel a bit more attached to your character IMO.

“How many people long for that "past, simpler, and better world," I wonder, without ever recognizing the truth that perhaps it was they who were simpler and better, and not the world about them?”
    R.A.Salvatore

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

Originally posted by Chimps

The only game i have ever been able to roleplay in is Star Wars Jedi Academy.

I haven't been able to roleplay in any MMORPG or any other TPS game.

I have always wanted to roleplay with someone but people just think i'm weird or stupid for wanting to do so.

I guess roleplaying in mmorpgs nowadays is when you pretend to be somebody else, be a different personality.

That has always struck me as odd  with some fans of this genre. They are called mmoRPG for a reason. I thought the RPG meant Role Playing Game, which I thought meant pretending to be a character in a universe. How can you role play a good guy character in a Star Wars universe when your means of advancement is going out to the desert and killing animals? 

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,085

I think the character stories and the attachments a player will make are great tools for making an MMO more RP centric. That being said, I'm not sure MMO's are a great place for truly creative role players who enjoy absolute freedom in their story telling and writing. It's purely personal, but it's difficult for me to justify many of my characters actions in present day MMO's because they aren't about creating a realistic or immersive experience so much as just killing as much shit as possible and collecting the loot. I'm hoping the missions in TOR offer more flexibility, but we'll have to wait until it comes out to know for sure, I suppose.

None the less, I'm looking forward to a massively game that allows more dramatic connections to characters and stories that actually add importance to the personal narrative.

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

• neorandomneorandom Member Posts: 1,681

Originally posted by Lawlmonster

I think the character stories and the attachments a player will make are great tools for making an MMO more RP centric. That being said, I'm not sure MMO's are a great place for truly creative role players who enjoy absolute freedom in their story telling and writing. It's purely personal, but it's difficult for me to justify many of my characters actions in present day MMO's because they aren't about creating a realistic or immersive experience so much as just killing as much shit as possible and collecting the loot. I'm hoping the missions in TOR offer more flexibility, but we'll have to wait until it comes out to know for sure, I suppose.

None the less, I'm looking forward to a massively game that allows more dramatic connections to characters and stories that actually add importance to the personal narrative.

while an mmo is not a great place to LARP style it, in a game like swtor you can definitely flesh out your back ground page, hold to your personal flavor or good evil or neutral morality choices, and all that good stuff.

i tend to like to fill in my bio sheets and figure out what style i like to play a certain characters class as, and stick to it.

but you wont ever catch me LARPing because im just not into that sort of thing.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.

Through passion, I gain strength.

Through strength, I gain power.

Through power, I gain victory.

Through victory, my chains are broken.

The Force shall free me.

• thexratedthexrated Member UncommonPosts: 1,368

Well, I would suggest trying to find like-minded people. There are tons of RP guilds moving to SW:TOR, so I am sure you will find one that will match your expectations. I have played in few RP guilds and it can certainly add a lot to the experience, but the downsize always is that some take it more seriously than others.

"The person who experiences greatness must have a feeling for the myth he is in."

• Wharg0ulWharg0ul Member Posts: 4,183

Originally posted by GreenHell

I just don't see that kind of immersion happening in any MMO any time soon. If for no other reason than the end game. At that point what are your toons motivations? I must kill mobs to get better gear so I can go kill more mobs to get better gear..etc.

I just got finished playing Mass Effect again. My characters motivations are driven by an end goal. Everything you do in that game, every decision you make is leading you towards that. In a MMO you simply do not ever have an end goal because there is no ending. Making everything you do seem trivial and not very important. 

That is why I gave up long ago on caring what my toon would be thinking. I cant imagine that my character would want to do the same daily quests for months on end just for a mount or run the same instances so many times that I lost count for gear.

i think you've been playing the wrong kinds of MMOs, man.

Seriously, if you end up doing the exact same things every day and feeling like you're on a tread-mill, something's wrong.

You're also not taking into account the most important aspect of MMORPGs......other players.

What about guild politics, gaining position in your own guild, or rivalries with others??

The game content is only 50% of the game. By simply playing in-character, a world of never-ending content can open up for you.

• quentin405quentin405 Member Posts: 468

I plan on RPing in Tor, I did in UO, and thats it I think.. I do not mean the RP's that stand around goldshire and have conversations in olde english, thats disgusting and trying too hard...

I mean in a sense of going with the flow of the story, and not saying things like "roflcopter, lulz, pew pew, etc"

Just kind of create a personality type for my toon, and imagine what choices he would make for convos, and keep my chat sort of in game / tied to his personality..  

I had a guildmaster in a game I wont mention, but he was so cool to me, he was always posting in forums about his ":roleplaying" but I never realized I saw him doing it 100% of the time until one day it hit me.  on vent he spoke in the same mannerisms as his character spoke, and his character always reacted the same way to certain things, he always portrayed a very manly leader role, it was way cool and inspired me to get into roleplay a bit.

BTW I only figured out his way of roleplaying because 1 night on vent we were alone and he was ... drunk or maybe really coked up, and started showing his "true real life" self, which was cool he was a very funny dark mofo, but then it hit me, he completely embodied this charcater he had created, even in voice chat. I was amazed.

• LeoghanLeoghan Member Posts: 607

I guess I would look at it this way. Do you feel like you are able to role play in single player RPG's? From what I gather the story elements of SWTOR will at least resemble their single player RPG's even if it will not be single player. Personally I've never felt like I could role play in KoTOR or Mass Effect and not simply because of the missing interaction with other players. 

• GMan3GMan3 Member CommonPosts: 2,127

Originally posted by Leoghan

I guess I would look at it this way. Do you feel like you are able to role play in single player RPG's? From what I gather the story elements of SWTOR will at least resemble their single player RPG's even if it will not be single player. Personally I've never felt like I could role play in KoTOR or Mass Effect and not simply because of the missing interaction with other players. 

I guess you could RP in a SPG, but what is the point really?  The whole idea of RPing is the interaction between players.  I'm not surprised that you couldn't RP in KoTOR or ME, that is not what they were designed for.  Unless you were talking to yourself "in character" and then I think you might want to go talk to a doctor pretty soon.

"If half of what you tell me is a lie, how can I believe any of it?"

• Distopia2Distopia2 Member Posts: 574

Originally posted by GMan3

I guess you could RP in a SPG, but what is the point really?  The whole idea of RPing is the interaction between players.  I'm not surprised that you couldn't RP in KoTOR or ME, that is not what they were designed for.  Unless you were talking to yourself "in character" and then I think you might want to go talk to a doctor pretty soon.

Not exactly, like the OP said he's not really talking about RPing in the sense you're describing, as in talking to others as if he's a Jedi master. He's talking about more of an inner RPG, as in a feeling, kind of like how I play FO3 or Oblivion. Connecting yourself to the world and lore, creating a feeling that you're actually taking part in it.

To SB fans, please stop making our demographic look bad.Stop invading threads that have nothing to do with sandboxes.

SW:TOR Graphics Evolution and Comparison

SW:TOR Compare MMO Quests, Combat and More...

• GMan3GMan3 Member CommonPosts: 2,127

Originally posted by Distopia

Originally posted by GMan3

Not exactly, like the OP said he's not really talking about RPing in the sense you're describing, as in talking to others as if he's a Jedi master. He's talking about more of an inner RPG, as in a feeling, kind of like how I play FO3 or Oblivion. Connecting yourself to the world and lore, creating a feeling that you're actually taking part in it.

I agree with you on what the OP said Distopia, but I was not replying to his post, I was replying to Leoghan.

"If half of what you tell me is a lie, how can I believe any of it?"

• NormikeNormike Member Posts: 436

I assumed that SWtOR would have continued immersive story updates and expansions, including voice over. Maybe a few months after release? There are also 8 classes, each with their own unique story from level 1 to 50. 

People are mentioning a lot of fear about the endgame. But this is Bioware, who updated add continuing quest DLC updates to even their single player games. Wouldn't it make sense that they have a plan to keep adding on quests to the endgame storyline kinda frequently. Even more so because, unlike Mass Effect and Dragon Age, people actually pay a monthly subscription in MMOs.

Really though, if Star Wars Clone Wars, its animators, and voice actors can pump out a show each week then Bioware, its producers, and voice actors can probably pump out some endgame storylines for classes every few months. The same way they do for their other DLC. In addition to endgame PvP, Raids, possible dynamic PvE questing on the solo PvE questing planet.

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

SWTOR is designed much like Mass Effect with your character nearly 100% defined by the pre-written storyline.  So it's less of a roleplaying experience and more of a "movie-watching" experience where you get some small input on what exactly the character says.  

It's not really about the player creating the character, but about deciding what this pre-created character does and helping himher along the predermined journey. 

On the flipside, I think this may be a good thing.  Over the last few years, roleplaying has been dying as slow and agonizing death - mostly due to the "elitist" attitude of the so-called "hardcore" roleplayers that insist on completely ignoring the gameworld in their RP process.  These are the people that usually have low level characters with secret powers or dragon ancestors and who insist that their combat with other players take place via emotes and not the actual combat system.    

By giving people a more narrow choice:  "no, you cannot be a dragon or a vampire, you can can ONLY be one of these 8 people and here are your ONLY 2 choices on how you can behave", I think will solve the problem of everyone needing to read a thousand page handbook on "here is how to RP with me" before meeting another player in the game.

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

I cant imagine that my character would want to do the same daily quests for months on end just for a mount or run 

I actually find this extremely easy to imagine.  After all, my RL toon runs the same daily  RL quest for years just to get that new (Volkswagen) mount.   I have a harder time imagining that i finally get it and then just stop doing anything.  

But like i said (and like BioWare has repeatedly said), SWTOR is not really about living in another world, it's about experience a story of a character.  So more like watching a movie with some interactivity.

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO