Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Good advice if your thinking about trying this game *state of the game july 2011*

Don't waste your time it is and has been dead for the last 2 years+. The most likely reason it is still up is probably to put on their quarterly report to show their investors they can make long lasting games. If you however chose to waste your time then go ahead start leveling but keep this in mind, there will be no one to pvp against, raid with, you will need a 2nd account with a doctor to do anything but after all the time wasted you will realize that it was not worth it and that fun could have been had doing/playing something else.

Someone might reply saying the game will be saved by the new engine, noob experience, but they do not have the devs and money to achieve anything worthwhile with this game. They added new noob experiences ( back when they probably had more money and devs working on the game ) with "fresh and improved" graphics/quests 2 times already in the past and it never made a lasting impact on the player base. The only thing which got the game noticeable population increase was during the 2 months following the launch of the free to play "froob" program a few years ago yet the quit:new players ratio never seem to have gone up and it has been facing a downward spiral ever since and now even more with the higher quality of games going free to play nowadays. You will realize there is no mid level content, and the endgame experience will be a RPG one without the MMO part.

Sure its different, might be more complex, but in the end you will be sitting in an empty world in a city with 10 afk people in your view range with nothing to do except wait hours to get on battlestations, log your alts to farm or powerlevel new alts to keep you thinking the game is still alive, read the forums where the same die hard fanboys who probably don't spend a 1/10 of the time they used to enjoy the game ingame doing anything fun new or productive other than posting offtopic stuff or claim the game is still alive, sure technically it is they are right but there are not enough players to sustain any fun activities anymore, the rate at which they add new content is and has always been epic-long and the result has and will always be the same: you are trying to fix and improve something that was not designed to be.

If anyone from funcom reads this: Stop lying to yourselves and people, post numbers of active subscriptions if you somehow dare to prove me wrong, the few left are already fed up with your BS about how you will add this or that to the game and fix it you CAN'T it is not possible. I too can paint an old rusty car to make a few people believe its brand new, but most know its built on a old rusty frame that is not repairable and not a good ride anymore.

Comments

• MMOtoGOMMOtoGO Member Posts: 630

Sticky qq thread? 

• Originally posted by MMOtoGO

Sticky qq thread? 

hi forum troll

• MMOtoGOMMOtoGO Member Posts: 630

Originally posted by Poornstar

Originally posted by MMOtoGO

Sticky qq thread? 

hi forum troll

I was questioning your request for a sticky, not trolling.  I've never seen any game sticky any post of this nature and was wondering why you thought yours was sticky worthy.  Again, that's not trolling it's called asking a question.

• Originally posted by MMOtoGO

Originally posted by MMOtoGO

Sticky qq thread? 

hi forum troll

I was questioning your request for a sticky, not trolling.  I've never seen any game sticky any post of this nature and was wondering why you thought yours was sticky worthy.  Again, that's not trolling it's called asking a question.

No qq in that post just an informational post about the state of the game you are right about the sticky part however I believe the information I have posted is correct and that if you had a poll or any independent source verifying the information included you would not discredit it as qq.

• hobo9766hobo9766 Member UncommonPosts: 457
    Ignore the shill. look at the facts that confirm some of the Op's claim.

No new engine...
    No re-balance...
    Dwindling population even worse than ever...
    10th year anniversary disaster events complete with OD fest and exploitation of lower level players...

The good news, they made some nice new heads... Will they ever get used though????
  • kb4blukb4blu Member UncommonPosts: 717

Sadly the OP is correct.

I played the game from start-up until about a year ago when I stopped believing "Means" about the graphics / engine upgrade.

• HellCasterHellCaster Member UncommonPosts: 234

Although I am still a bit in denial due to how much I loved AO I must concure with the dismal state of the game.

I've seen companies play "Wag the dog" before and this looks to be the same senario. They will string it out as long as possible with hopes and words and then it will suddenly die.

I wish this wasn't the case, I really do.

Playing: varies every day it seems.

• JavafanJavafan Member UncommonPosts: 45

If anyone from funcom reads this: Stop lying to yourselves and people, post numbers of active subscriptions if you somehow dare to prove me wrong...

Erm... who are you that FC should deem it worth their time to answer you challenger from a 3rd party forum? And why ask for information you do know they will never provide for some random Joe off the internet?

As for: "the few left are already fed up with your BS about how you will add this or that to the game and fix it you CAN'T it is not possible."

How about you stop talking for people that play the game and you don't know? You can rephrase it or whatever, but you don't actually represent a comunity here.

• Originally posted by Javafan

If anyone from funcom reads this: Stop lying to yourselves and people, post numbers of active subscriptions if you somehow dare to prove me wrong...

Erm... who are you that FC should deem it worth their time to answer you challenger from a 3rd party forum? And why ask for information you do know they will never provide for some random Joe off the internet?

As for: "the few left are already fed up with your BS about how you will add this or that to the game and fix it you CAN'T it is not possible."

How about you stop talking for people that play the game and you don't know? You can rephrase it or whatever, but you don't actually represent a comunity here.

I started playing in 2003 and have been off the game checking it every once in awhile done everything worth/fun and farmed everything there was/is to do in AO. I am not challenging funcom in any way I do not care about this game anymore I was merely asking that if they should reply ( they did post on these forums in the past ) just back it up with actual facts. Main and only reason of the post was to inform random Joe off the internet who might be thinking about trying this game out, which I believe is what forums could have been created for? If I wanted to have any sort of debatable discussion I would not post in AO forums subforums to talk with the 10 people who might care replying here.

Don't take it personal Javafan I am not representing anything other than an informed, unbiased 3rd party with actual facts. Over the years I have come to know people who played this game, you are probably someone who has leveled a bunch of alts, tired of the game and waiting, waiting for the world to change, but in the end you will be fed up, become cynical, you are the typical AO player, maybe you play on a shitty computer in an internet cafe somewhere in Romania, unable to do a more fun activity, but to quote you again and sum up what kind of player you are:

Now with the recent changes, incoming re-balancing and engine, AO might regain on its playerbase (both old-timers and newcomers). This will make leveling a bit more fun and the amount of people buying their "free" levels will be quite low.

(highlighted above: typical AO player post with "best might be incoming" mindset. Note the abusive use of will with no regards to how the game was/is/has been. This is currently the target audience of AO / people they suck money off)

You are a believer, you have blind unrationnal faith and believe the world can and will become better. You can not be reasoned even when reality explodes in front of you, your faith protecting and shielding you from the shrapnel of truth. You do have a brain though its just a matter of time until you realize... Talk to your buddies, move on to something more fun I guarantee you wont regret it.

• bisurgebisurge Member UncommonPosts: 168

This game is old. Very old. Full of memory... and anger.

But seriously, what'd you all expect froma  game as old as this one. A handful of people still play Asheron's Call, and that game doesn't even have a skill system. Let that little community be... it's not like many people would even think of trying this game after seeing some screenshots.

• JavafanJavafan Member UncommonPosts: 45

Originally posted by Javafan

I started playing in 2003 and have been off the game checking it every once in awhile done everything worth/fun and farmed everything there was/is to do in AO. I am not challenging funcom in any way I do not care about this game anymore I was merely asking that if they should reply ( they did post on these forums in the past ) just back it up with actual facts. Main and only reason of the post was to inform random Joe off the internet who might be thinking about trying this game out, which I believe is what forums could have been created for? If I wanted to have any sort of debatable discussion I would not post in AO forums subforums to talk with the 10 people who might care replying here.

Don't take it personal Javafan I am not representing anything other than an informed, unbiased 3rd party with actual facts. Over the years I have come to know people who played this game, you are probably someone who has leveled a bunch of alts, tired of the game and waiting, waiting for the world to change, but in the end you will be fed up, become cynical, you are the typical AO player, maybe you play on a shitty computer in an internet cafe somewhere in Romania, unable to do a more fun activity, but to quote you again and sum up what kind of player you are:

Now with the recent changes, incoming re-balancing and engine, AO might regain on its playerbase (both old-timers and newcomers). This will make leveling a bit more fun and the amount of people buying their "free" levels will be quite low.

(highlighted above: typical AO player post with "best might be incoming" mindset. Note the abusive use of will with no regards to how the game was/is/has been. This is currently the target audience of AO / people they suck money off)

You are a believer, you have blind unrationnal faith and believe the world can and will become better. You can not be reasoned even when reality explodes in front of you, your faith protecting and shielding you from the shrapnel of truth. You do have a brain though its just a matter of time until you realize... Talk to your buddies, move on to something more fun I guarantee you wont regret it.

From Interwebz 101: The Interwebz is not to be taken seriously. 

My post was simply stating that there is nothing to coerce FC into replying to you and that you should make your quotes less general :)

As for all the assumptions in the post above... They're just that... assumptions. And assumption is the mother of all f@ck ups.

As for why I still play the game... it's becuase I still find it fun, I still have friends and people to play with. Others I know moved on for various reasons: got bored, ran out of spare time to play, got pissed at FC, found themselves other games and so on.

I'm not waiting or hoping for anything... I'm just enjoying the game for what it is now. Sure, I still want the engine and rebalance yesterday, but there's nothing I can do about it.

If people are pissed with the current state of the game and keep playing AO just in hope some future/distant patch might revive their interest, they're better off with cancelling their account and wait for those patches to come out on the live servers. To keep playing while you hate the current state of the game will create bitterness and neither rebalance nor the engine will prove satisfactory.

• Ex0dUs101Ex0dUs101 Member UncommonPosts: 273

Ive gone back in the last week, loving it, missed it, nothing out there that can offer what AO does, and doubt there ever will be.

With the recent video of the engine progress things are going in the right direction no doubt, Borealis was stunning, and most of the essential assets were done. 

Also they are hiring staff for AO specifically, that is not the sign of a game they are going to let go anywhere anytime soon.

Have things updated as quick as we hoped, nope, but it doesnt mean AO is going anywhere, and it doesnt mean it wont have a good future, im far from the only returning player recently, and ive no reason to be negative about it as im playing for the right reasons, because its a good solid sci-fi mmo and its fun....

• dolphin666dolphin666 Member UncommonPosts: 55

I have fond memories of this game, but 15 Euros per month subscription is just too much, in my opinion. If they lowered the monthly cost to about 10 Euros a month, I would seriously consider re-subbing.

• burmeseburmese Member Posts: 546

If you pay by the year, the cost is under $10/euros a month - pretty much the same approach all such subscription MMO's run.

~\_/~\_O

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

I can't believe that graphics revamp isnt done yet.

By the time they finish it noone will care...

It's a bummer that its taken so long.

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing