Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Funcom: Over 300,000 players join ‘Age of Conan: Unchained’ in first month

Durham, USA – August 11th, 2011 – This month the greatest fantasy hero of all time is truly making his triumphant return to the spotlight. Not only is the premiere of the upcoming Hollywood revival, ‘Conan the Barbarian’, less than two weeks away, Conan is also breaking new grounds in the massively multiplayer online gaming universe. After going free-to-play roughly a month ago, over 300,000 new players have now charged the fields of Hyboria in ‘Age of Conan: Unchained’.

“The launch of the hybrid business model has been very successful so far,” says Funcom CEO Trond Arne Aas. “The activity levels on the servers are booming with a fourfold increase in players during July, we more than doubled the revenue generated from the game, and we have experienced a positive development in subscriber numbers. This definitely gives us great hope for the game’s future.”

‘Age of Conan’ launched in 2008 to raving reviews and player acclaim. The game became the best-selling new MMO of the year as it topped the sales chart in over 17 different countries simultaneously, and the game recently hit the impressive milestone of over two million players having experienced the world of Hyboria.

"We are delighted to see the success of ‘Age of Conan: Unchained’”, says Executive Producer and Game Director Craig Morrison. "We have been working hard to show that we are one of the best, and most unique, MMO experiences on the market. Our focus now is to deliver even more content and new experiences to players, starting with the movie tie-in Adventure Pack that is launching in the near future!”

To celebrate the revival of Conan the Barbarian on the silver screen, the ‘Age of Conan: Unchained’ development team are hard at work creating a unique, movie tie-in Adventure Pack titled ‘Savage Coast of Turan’. The adventure pack will introduce all new world areas, as well as monsters, characters and player equipment that audiences can experience in the movie as it hits theatres on August 18th.

To download the client and play the game for free, please visit the new official Age of Conan website

The succes after the first month that Age of conan Unchained relaunched is noticeable. I myself started playing again after the relaunch and quickly resubbed again, my main issue with the game was the lack of players playing it and although at 80 its still a bit quiet the F2P starters will reach that level within a week or 3. At the same time Funcom states that Age of Conan revenues have more then doubled, which in my opinion is a great thing for Funcom and hopefully its community and fans, not that they have that many. Anyway, it's worth sharing and discussing the succes of the Unchained version. The best thing in my view is that the ad campeign didnt even start, it will start as said by the time the new Conan movie takes place, on the 16th of August.

Comments

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

So that's where all those wow refugees went hehe!!!

Gratz funcom.

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

• DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216

I never really hated Conan, I just would rather have played wow than AoC.  Now that I'm done with WoW, maybe ill give this another shot.

• EliandalEliandal Member Posts: 796

Good for Funcom...hope the success continues!  As much as most posters here despise the 'model' used, apparently it's working for them!

• SulaaSulaa Member UncommonPosts: 1,329

Thing is do they count active accounts or all accounts created after f2p change?

Becasue I did create account but I stopped playing and uninstalled AoC. So if I am counted in this 300,000k then well that number don't make that strong impression especilly I know some ppl who left after some time as well.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Sulaa
    Thing is do they count active accounts or all accounts created after f2p change?
    Becasue I did create account but I stopped playing and uninstalled AoC. So if I am counted in this 300,000k then well that number don't make that strong impression especilly I know some ppl who left after some time as well.

That's still like a 300% or more increase of people trying the game out compared to the last year or so. I bet they get a jump in people trying the game out when Conan the movie comes out. They'll probably have a blurb about the MMO in commercials at the start of the movie, and then again on the DvD/Blueray. More power to them. I just couldn't wrap my head around the game after reading all those Conan comics.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• OkhamsRazorOkhamsRazor Member Posts: 1,047

I quite like free to play myself . It does mean I've become a bit of an mmo nomad though as I play AoC , DDO ,EQ2 on an casual basis and Lotro on a not so casual basis .Also looking forward to Fallen Earth and City of Heroes too. Theres literally no mmos I think are worth the standard monthly sub anymore at least with the western freeium model you can play through loads of content before you hit the wall and decide whether its worth subscribing too . I know theres a lots of people say they don't like it because its buy to win but with the optional subscription model I've never found this to be the case and I do wonder if they've ever played them or understand the difference between the traditional cash shop model and this . I wouldn't be supprised to see even more of Warhammer and Warcraft content go this way ( beyond t1 and level 20 respectively ) .

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

Good for Funcom.  I hope they find success in their model and it evolves over time. 

• face30face30 Member UncommonPosts: 193

Grats Funcom, I had alot of fun in this game, regardless of the way it used to be. Actually thinking of giving it another go.

• OberholzerOberholzer Member Posts: 498
    I'm curious how they count players. I did download and play the game a couple of times. Haven't really though since the second day. I'd guess I'm counted though. I would be curious if after say 6 months or so of f2p they released numbers of people that actually play on a regular basis. I highly doubt that would happen though. Otherwise if it based on people that created accounts then the number isnt really that impressive.
  • lars1134lars1134 Member Posts: 106

Originally posted by eayes

I'm curious how they count players. I did download and play the game a couple of times. Haven't really though since the second day. I'd guess I'm counted though. I would be curious if after say 6 months or so of f2p they released numbers of people that actually play on a regular basis. I highly doubt that would happen though. Otherwise if it based on people that created accounts then the number isnt really that impressive.

The announcement is not intended to serve the amount of players playing today but more the amount of players Funcom attracted by practicaly only announcing the F2P transaction.