Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wow is dying aparently

2»

Comments

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by getona

Originally posted by Zolgar
    Then Blizzard comes out with an engine upgrade, new combat mechanics, revamped crafting, hardcore (either permadeath and/or Full loot FFA PvP) PvP servers, and more. They gain back all subscribers and then some.

With Blizzards budget, I wouldn't doubt that happening, at least to some small extent anyways.
    WoW is based on the Warcraft 3 Graphic's Engine (very old tech), at the moment they can't push anymore Polygon than this or the Client will start crashing, the Only way to get a new engine is going for WoW2.

Open FFA PVP will not work in WoW because of Flying Mounts, Heavily Instance & Phasing.
    WoW is Quest/Gear Grinding Game FULL LOOTING only works in Skill-Based Games such as Runescape, Ultima Online.
    Rewarding Open World PVP will just lead too kill-swap/trading.

They would be better off rewriting it from scratch rather than just revamping the graphics engine or game engine. It would be better than just adding features that could disrupt the way the game currently works. Which I guess is kind of what they're going with 'Titan', except with a whole new IP.

I think thought that even if WoW is dying, it's going to take forever. They could still add stuff to the game beyond just new content and stave off the decline for years and years. There's billions yet to be made off of WoW and they're going to make it I'm sure.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

Originally posted by odinsrath

this is a bad win and win more for wow in the long run..bad that they are loseing subs atm ..but if they decide to go f2p it would be a huge win for them and bring in even more subs and twice as many cash shops..i can see it now lol looking thru a catalog full of stuff like it was a walmart web-site..i hate wow but irl they will always be around no matter how easy-mode their game is..kids love it and even more if it was free lol

They aren't far from free to play right now anyways. They only have maybe 5mil actually subs. The rest are by the hour cyber cafe type subs in areas where bandwith usage is limited. 

Is basically IS a free to play atm where it is most popular. Instead of buying items off of the item mall they're buying little blocks of time lol. 

Not like it would be a huge change. Though it would seriously deminish there revenue from the 5mil other subs they have which one would assume is where the bulk of the WoW revenue comes from. 

As far as the loss of 1mil subs in the past 9 months goes, what I'd be interested is where those subs were lost from. The monthly fee crowd as this would be a significant loss or the non monthly fee crowd as this wouldn't be note worthy.

• PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856

Think of it like this:

1. WoW's biggest competition in the last 6 months. F2P LoL and AoC and Rift

1 million lost

2. lol now WoW's biggest competition in the next 6 months. <--SWToR and maybe GW2 <--- let that process for a second

• ChilliesauceChilliesauce Member Posts: 559

Originally posted by Puremallace

Think of it like this:

1. WoW's biggest competition in the last 6 months. F2P LoL and AoC and Rift

1 million lost

2. lol now WoW's biggest competition in the next 6 months. <--SWToR and maybe GW2 <--- let that process for a second

Why does most of you think that all players come from and go to WOW only? as if there are no gamers outside WOW?  believe it or not but there are many gamers in western market who do not play WOW.

• PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856

Originally posted by Chilliesauce

Why does most of you think that all players come from and go to WOW only? as if there are no gamers outside WOW?  believe it or not but there are many gamers in western market who do not play WOW.

Well that is pretty simple answer actually:

1. WoW - 11 million subs

2. Aion - roughly 4 million

3. Next highest is maybe Guid Wars!?!?

4. Rift and EQ2

Blizzard has a flat out monopoly on the mmorpg market right now. The formula for keeping that market makes me question the player bases intelligence level, but that is a whole other thread. They are basically getting shit on Two Girls One Cup style by Blizzard and seem to be enjoying it, but they are starting to revolt slowly.

Blizzard grand scheme was that by this time Rift was supposed to be dead and not still showing how lazy they are as a dev. They said  faster smaller content", but everyone knows they are lying. Better options are appearing on the market and WoW is about to take a major hit. Bioware would have completely screw up for SWToR not take a major grab at those numbers.

• ChilliesauceChilliesauce Member Posts: 559

Originally posted by Puremallace

Originally posted by Chilliesauce

Well that is pretty simple answer actually:

1. WoW - 11 million subs

2. Aion - roughly 4 million

3. Next highest is maybe Guid Wars!?!?

4. Rift and EQ2

Blizzard has a flat out monopoly on the mmorpg market right now. The formula for keeping that market makes me question the player bases intelligence level, but that is a whole other thread. They are basically getting shit on Two Girls One Cup style by Blizzard and seem to be enjoying it, but they are starting to revolt slowly.

Blizzard grand scheme was that by this time Rift was supposed to be dead and not still showing how lazy they are as a dev. They said  faster smaller content", but everyone knows they are lying. Better options are appearing on the market and WoW is about to take a major hit. Bioware would have completely screw up for SWToR not take a major grab at those numbers.

Blizzards 11 million subs is asia and us/eu combined. There is still a huge market out there other than WOW. or you think that is all the MMO players we have and none exist outside WOW? that is why i find it hard to believe when people use WOW as a source of players whenever a new MMO releases. I don't believe that all other MMOS need to pull WOW playerbase in order to be sucess.

• astoriaastoria Member UncommonPosts: 1,677

Originally posted by Phry

Originally posted by PeterRJG

What's this Aion you are talking about?

Aion, is one of those really unusual games, where your given wings.. but not allowed to fly...  sort of a reverse redbull...image

lol I spit out my coffee.

WoW wont die. down 1 million subs is still a lot of subs. And with sparkle pony sales in the bank, they could probably survive for a while with just a million im sure.

"Never met a pack of humans that were any different. Look at the idiots that get elected every couple of years. You really consider those guys more mature than us? The only difference between us and them is, when they gank some noobs and take their stuff, the noobs actually die." - Madimorga

• NormikeNormike Member Posts: 436

Originally posted by Vrika

WoW lost 300 000 subcribers within last 3 months. At rate of 100 000 subcribers a month, assuming their subcriber base is now 11,1 million, the game has only about 9 years 3 months time left.

I think it might actually be realistic assumption. WoW will be more than 15 years old by then. Maybe Blizzard could start developing WoW 2 some time around 2015 in preparation for WoW's death.

They'll lose more than 100,000 per month when SWtOR, GW2, The Secret World, ArchAge, Tera, and possible Rift expansion release in the coming months. The story presentation, production, questing, gameplay, and graphics of these games make WoW look like a dinosaur fossil.

WoWs sneaky move next year should be to go F2P, enhance their cash shop, and basically become the new Runescape. Since Runescape is apparently king of MMOs in terms of amount of people playing and number of accounts, with a very profitable cash shop.

• seabeastseabeast Member Posts: 748

Ya, Yea, Wow is dieing but alll the other MMORPG's are growing at great rates. Long live...whatever game you like and death to Wow. Ya Yea.

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

This is what happens when gameplay becomes stagnant and doesn't evolve.  Players are getting bored with more of the same and either leaving or trying to find another game to play until the next wave of wow killers is released.  Maybe one of those games will finally deliver something new and fun.  Maybe this will wake blizzard up to add more spice to the wow and give players more to do than more of the same. 

Don't think this is an exclusive problem for WoW though.  Most of the game that are hitting the market as more of the same style games are going to suffer this type of loss at a much higher rate.

• Jimmy_ScytheJimmy_Scythe Member CommonPosts: 3,586

Originally posted by Normike

WoWs sneaky move next year should be to go F2P, enhance their cash shop, and basically become the new Runescape. Since Runescape is apparently king of MMOs in terms of amount of people playing and number of accounts, with a very profitable cash shop.

It's been awhile since I played Runescape, but I don't remember them having a cash shop. As I recall, it's a freemium game where you either play limited content for free or pay a $5 a month subscription.

<shrugs> things might have changed though.

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

WoW is a game going on 7 years old, it's bound to decline at some point. But with 11 million players still (and apparently still growing in the Chinese market) it is still very much alive. Heck, it hasn't even reached its mid-life crisis yet.

• SetsunSetsun Member UncommonPosts: 286

I thought i would play WoW until SWTOR releases, but i been there 1 month only and didnt sub back.

I usually do not criticise WoW but the game is in a downfall, im not assuming here! Im in a top PvP  guild and 50% of it is waiting for SWTOR and hating the current state of WoW.

And i assume now that they will lose even more costumers, the upcoming games, i will name SWTOR because it seems the best for me (personal taste), will cause some serious damage in WoWs subs.

Why do i assume that?

Well, i played SWTOR and i dont think its the same level as Rift, Aion, etc. It is superior and i do not see Bioware messing up the game like Funcom usually does for an example.

In my point of view, WoW will lose customers but will not die, a game like WoW has a slow painless death not an instant painful one.

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912

Moved thread to WoW forum and locked. This is a duplicate topic, and the open thread is located here: http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/323129/Its-111-million-subs-now.html

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

This discussion has been closed.