Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

its kind of a shame

that we cant do more with lightsaber style weapons.   who ever said they need to be swords?  sure light swords are neat, but ild kill for a mechwarrior/gundam style axe (handle and shaft of saber handle origin but with curved axe blades on either side like a light sabers blade) have it like the sith inquisistors double sided weapon but instead of a sword with a handle in the middle, have a nice big glowing bladed battle axe =D

i suppose all the animations would be fubar to redo, but ild still love a battle axe

o and juggarnaughts with light saber style brass knuckles, for when you wanna feel the blood dripping off your hands after you pound that trooper into a puddle! (light saber style brass knuckles with 4 knuckles spike light saber beams a couple inches long on each knuckle!)

Comments

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

Vibroblades

• GMan3GMan3 Member CommonPosts: 2,127

Actually, the EU has a basis for several different light- weapons and it wouldn't surprise me if we did see something like this eventually.  I'm not sure that a battle axe was one of them though.

"If half of what you tell me is a lie, how can I believe any of it?"

• DarthMooskaDarthMooska Member UncommonPosts: 146

Light whips should eventually make it into this game. Lumiya would approve.

I derive my strength from passion. Do you feel that? That is what seperates you and I, Jedi!

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533

I assume there's all sorts of interesting weapons, melee and otherwise that nobody will really see until they're playing it at home.  They're not going to show everything fun in the game before release.  What you wouldnt see in release you are sure to later.  Im sure by year 3 or 4 after release there will be all sorts of crazy stuff that wasnt there originally, and more as time went on. 

Its kind of the way it works.  Wouldnt worry about it. 

• darkrain21darkrain21 Member UncommonPosts: 383

The battle axe idea would be kinda cool but it wouldnt really tie to the star wars lore. The whip only worked because it was still just a more relaxed straight beam of energy coming from the sabers Gem. And brass knuckles tho kinda a cool idea would have to just be small blades emiting from something like it becuase it would just burn the wearers fingers down to bone. Just my thots on this. Cool ideas tho.

• neorandomneorandom Member Posts: 1,681

well its an emiited beam, the blade of a saber, depending on use of prisms beams can be emmited in a variety of shapes and sizes via mirroring ect.  at the very least ild love to see some inventive reinventions of standard blades

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.

Through passion, I gain strength.

Through strength, I gain power.

Through power, I gain victory.

Through victory, my chains are broken.

The Force shall free me.

I agree.  Polearms would fit in nicely for the Senate Honor Guards for instance.  Maybe daggers or even a nunchuk (spelling?) style weapon.  Throwing stars too.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

i think the problem with having different 'shapes' is that even as an energy weapon, without a core, it has a limited form, a whip could be achieved perhaps using a charged monofilament wire...  as for curved blades...  first you have to figure out how to bend light without using a black hole....image

• AzureProwerAzurePrower Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

Personally if they ever had wolverine-like lightsaber claw blades, I would be all for it.

How ever, SW:TOR is trying to be iconic to what you see in the movies. Your movies have your standard one and two ended sword blades. That's probably all you're going to see.

It is understandable as they don't want to deviate too much from the working Star Wars formula many fans are accustomed to.

• ErstokErstok Member Posts: 523

Know what's a shame? New MMO's spoil folks and all they do is complain and cry when they don't get to have their cake and eat it to. People have been crying that this is a WoW killer and people are also crying this game is already doomed to fail. Know what I want to cry about? That people do nothing but complain about new MMO's.

~Age Of Conan
    ~Rift
    ~Aion
    ~Allods
    ~Runes Of Magic
    ~Matrix Online
    ~Talba Rasa
    ~Star Wars Galaxies

You know at some point you people are gonna have to just stop complaining about games and you know, just play them.

When did you start playing "old school" MMO's. World Of Warcraft?

Originally posted by AzurePrower

Personally if they ever had wolverine-like lightsaber claw blades, I would be all for it.

How ever, SW:TOR is trying to be iconic to what you see in the movies. Your movies have your standard one and two ended sword blades. That's probably all you're going to see.

It is understandable as they don't want to deviate too much from the working Star Wars formula many fans are accustomed to.

mmmm light saber gloves with tri claws, im on board for this.

also you know whatld be fun, a light saber pole arm, you know like 5 foot of stick, with the light saber bit at the end!  reach = win in a meelee fight!  and of course the thing would be at a disadvantage against a dual wielder of short sticks too close as all you could do is block and not effectively attack anymore.

The Force shall free me.

Originally posted by Phry

i think the problem with having different 'shapes' is that even as an energy weapon, without a core, it has a limited form, a whip could be achieved perhaps using a charged monofilament wire...  as for curved blades...  first you have to figure out how to bend light without using a black hole....image

its star wars, physics never has had any effect lulz

The Force shall free me.

• ThornrageThornrage Member UncommonPosts: 659

Originally posted by Erstok

You know at some point you people are gonna have to just stop complaining about games and you know, just play them.

My thought exactly. 

Expecting perfection = disatisfaction.

Age of Conan the "failed" game that I played for 3 years. Others pointed at it and laughed while I played and had a ton of fun. It wasn't perfect but it was fun.

"If it was so fun, then why did you leave?"

Can't play the same game forever. Plus I am in Minecraft a lot lately while I wait for SW:TOR.

"I don't give a sh*t what other people say. I play what I like and I'll pay to do it too!" - SerialMMOist

• sketocafesketocafe Member UncommonPosts: 950

Light whip would be fun. Don't think anything like gloves with blades coming out or brass knuckles would ever fly past LA though. There has to a very good chance you can cut your own head off with the weapon. Anything to easy to use and you wouldn't need to be a force user to not chop pieces off yourself while wielding it.

• ChimpsChimps Member Posts: 192

Originally posted by Chackz

{mod edit}

Oh honey considering the pre-orders it's far from being in the grave.

Haters gon hate and keep being stupid.

now that i think about it, ild also like a quad bladed saber, crossblade style like a shuriken, that way when you throw it theres even less  chance of anyone catching it as it spins and unbelievable speeds!

*whoosh*

The Force shall free me.

• Distopia2Distopia2 Member Posts: 574

Originally posted by Phry

Actually the entire concept of a lightsaber is impossible, it wouldn't be light or a laser it would have to be plasma. image Just throwing that out there.

To SB fans, please stop making our demographic look bad.Stop invading threads that have nothing to do with sandboxes.

SW:TOR Graphics Evolution and Comparison

SW:TOR Compare MMO Quests, Combat and More...

• AzureProwerAzurePrower Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

Originally posted by neorandom
    now that i think about it, ild also like a quad bladed saber, crossblade style like a shuriken, that way when you throw it theres even less  chance of anyone catching it as it spins and unbelievable speeds!

*whoosh*

You know I thought of this one. Kind of like a cross lightsaber.

But then I realized it was very impractical as you have limited chance of it pointing at your enemy unless you wanted to slice yourself with it.

I don't know why they haven't made an assassin's creed like lightsaber. Power it on and off at close range would make an excellently efficient and discrete jedi or more likely sith assassin.

• SetsunSetsun Member UncommonPosts: 286

yeah sure might aswell add bows n arrows aswell ... and glowy pointy years!

• 4getting20094getting2009 Member UncommonPosts: 178

Originally posted by Asamighost

yeah sure might aswell add bows n arrows aswell ... and glowy pointy years!

Chewbaca beat you to it on the bow :)

Lightsabers are based on a beam, even in the EU ( this means a straight line). Light based Battle Axes aint happening in Star Wars. Vibrobladed Axes however do happen. So there is that.

The beam idea you can vary with lengths, and points of emission in : width, location, frequency of emits (pulsing, static,etc), qty of points, and length (not just static but variable on a triggered event). Anything beyond that is straying too far from the idea and cramping into immersion for me.

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

Well Viro weapons are made to battle someone weilding a lightsaber weapon.

I know its not the same thing but maybe we can get special glowing type viro weapons?

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

• tinuelletinuelle Member UncommonPosts: 363

Originally posted by Distopia

Actually the entire concept of a lightsaber is impossible, it wouldn't be light or a lazer it would have to be plasma. image Just throwing that out there.

Geeeeeezzzzzz........ You just ruined SWTOR for me.......!

• aleosaleos Member UncommonPosts: 1,942

at first this thread made me facepalm.jpg then i realized i want lightsaber nun-chucks

Originally posted by aleos

at first this thread made me facepalm.jpg then i realized i want lightsaber nun-chucks

Don't feel bad, I want the light-throwing stars.

• tinuelletinuelle Member UncommonPosts: 363

Originally posted by aleos

Saber-chucks?

Somehow i get pictures in my mind about training with these will go wrong.

Kinda like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MC1cNLOmurQ